Moparts

Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ?

Posted By: hemi_harvester

Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/02/11 07:22 PM

this is on the out side edge of the bottom of #4 bore on a 400 block. I can stick a paper clip into it to about where the line is at. I have taken the drain plug out of the side of the block and shined a bright flash into it ,I don't think it goes thru but can it cause problems in the future?

Is there a fix ? is this common ?

Attached picture 6852680-BORE.jpg
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/02/11 08:00 PM

i'd clean it up with a carbide cutter & get the block magged & pressure tested. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/02/11 10:41 PM

Quote:

i'd clean it up with a carbide cutter & get the block magged & pressure tested. stay safe, seeya.

I am of the same thinking,,It is hard to tell from the fuzziness of the pic but is that a crack that started at a casting anomoly?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/02/11 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am of the same thinking,,It is hard to tell from the fuzziness of the pic but is that a crack that started at a casting anomoly?

Pressure test and mag to be sure before investing time or money in it Way better to be safe than sorry Most everything is fixable, it ends up depending on how much and how hard it costs to fix it, it is probally nothing but to make sure
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/02/11 11:26 PM

I clearanced my first stroker years ago in the same area. The rod's got into the bore bottom's with the stock rod diameter and 4.15 stroke.. Back then there wasnt much choice for stroker cranks!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Issue at bottom og bore picture attached what to do ? - 10/03/11 04:00 AM

There is always the possibility that a crack will grow during use. So grinding the crack out smooth will help prevent that, assuming it does NOT go into the water jacket.

I don't know if that is the same location as the rod bolt clearance in a stroker, but here is one example for your evaluation.

Attached picture 6853467-MJ_borenotch1crop.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums