Moparts

fuel system problem

Posted By: sixpackgut

fuel system problem - 10/01/11 07:53 PM

same fuel system that was on my challenger is not working in my cuda.

only thing different is a fuel cell insted of stock tank.

first question is, anyone ever find that the foam would block the outlets in the fuel cell? not sure if this is the problem or not

another maybe venting but i can push on the top of the plastic fuel cell and hear the air breath in and out

it just slowly starts loosing fuel pressure and when i go WOT it will completely go to zero then start working its way back up after i let off

mallory 140 with 4309 reg(that has always worked flawless. relay in the back by the fuel pump. 8an up 10an back to tank.

i'm stumped
Posted By: MattW

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 08:16 PM

Quote:

same fuel system that was on my challenger is not working in my cuda.

only thing different is a fuel cell insted of stock tank.

first question is, anyone ever find that the foam would block the outlets in the fuel cell? not sure if this is the problem or not

another maybe venting but i can push on the top of the plastic fuel cell and hear the air breath in and out

it just slowly starts loosing fuel pressure and when i go WOT it will completely go to zero then start working its way back up after i let off

mallory 140 with 4309 reg(that has always worked flawless. relay in the back by the fuel pump. 8an up 10an back to tank.

i'm stumped

Ive heard that the foam can break down.
Check clogged line, kink sound like your getting pressure but no volume.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 08:17 PM

Where's the pump in relation to the cell?
Is it below? Pump cavitating? pickup becoming uncovered?

Pictures?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 08:17 PM

Time for a flow test... I still have the foam in my
cell... also check the filter.... this is all assuming
you have the proper voltage at the pump

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 08:42 PM

well, in a very bad mood now. took the reg apart, all looked fine. it was staying at a steady pressure just sitting there for 5 minutes running so i dont think venting is/ was a problem. then i felt the wire going to the pump and it felt warm(red flag maybe). voltage just sitting there was good. then i stuck my hand into the cell and and was feeling around the output holes and then i plugged them and the pump stopped. think i burnt it up. wont come back on. i want to punch something right now

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 08:47 PM

Quote:

well, in a very bad mood now. took the reg apart, all looked fine. it was staying at a steady pressure just sitting there for 5 minutes running so i dont think venting is/ was a problem. then i felt the wire going to the pump and it felt warm(red flag maybe). voltage just sitting there was good. then i stuck my hand into the cell and and was feeling around the output holes and then i plugged them and the pump stopped. think i burnt it up. wont come back on. i want to punch something right now

Just let it cool down
Posted By: rickraw

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 09:14 PM

how old is ur pump?? if the wire is getting hot, pump may need rebuilt. my foam is starting to come apart, finding some in the filter. don't know how old it is though. probably remove it this winter. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: topside

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 09:28 PM

If there's no deterioration inside any of your fuel hoses - or a cut piece that acts as a flap to cut off flow - I'd suspect the pump. Not sure if yours is rebuildable, but I've seen some vane-types where the vanes get stuck, and they can't build pressure. I've never seen fuel-cell foam that could block anything - what I've seen is very coarse - but maybe there's such a thing out there.

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 10:50 PM

the pump is toast

new lines on the car, new cell, it works fine and then it just starts going away.

another thing that i didnt mention was that i had a different pump on the car before that did the same thing so i took the mallory off the challenger. can a relay drop voltage?

there is no cooling problems with the car, i can hardly get it over 160 and the volt meter seems right where it needs to be.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: fuel system problem - 10/01/11 11:07 PM

Mallory 140? Probably just needs brushes.

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 01:44 AM

i may have found something.....

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 01:49 AM

Quote:

Well........... are you going to tell us... at least
what you think it is

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well........... are you going to tell us... at least
what you think it is

under the vent in the cap is an orange umbrella like in the holley acc pumps to obviously stop fuel from comming out during a roll over, i'm thinking that maybe with my return style fuel system, and driving like i stole it, the umbrella may not be letting it vent properly, causing cavitaion in the pump, making the pump get hot...etc IDK what i'm talking about but it has to be something
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 03:02 AM

I run the same parts in my Spirit, and I've never had any issues. One thing that is different on mine is that I put a 6" extension tube on the return line inside the tank, to eliminate turbulence at the pickup.

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 03:36 AM

I must have something different... my cap is sealed and
I have a separate vent/rollover valveif you think that
the case drill in a separate vent/rollover valve
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 03:50 AM

Quote:

Ditto - my Harwood has a separate fitting to attach the vent to.
Posted By: jb500

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

the pump is toast

new lines on the car, new cell, it works fine and then it just starts going away.

another thing that i didnt mention was that i had a different pump on the car before that did the same thing so i took the mallory off the challenger. can a relay drop voltage?

there is no cooling problems with the car, i can hardly get it over 160 and the volt meter seems right where it needs to be.

Did you modify the 140 pump off the Challenger to run a return line system? Mallory provides a by-pass spacer to install in the pump when using their 4309 reg.

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the pump is toast

Did you modify the 140 pump off the Challenger to run a return line system? Mallory provides a by-pass spacer to install in the pump when using their 4309 reg.

yes, is the same pump, same reg off the challenger. only thing different is a fuel cell insted of a stock tank

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto - my Harwood has a separate fitting to attach the vent to.

the fitting on top of the tank i ran a return line to. but there is a vent in the cap and i drilled extra vent hole but there was a little unbrella i think may have been causing a problem. no time to mess with it today.

plus that pos rubber gasket on the fuel cell cap is all stretched out and i need a new one now.
Posted By: Dap

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 09:13 PM

I would say you would need a larger vent than what you described. I had my fuel cell out last week and removed the fitting for the return welded to the top of the cell and replaced it with a bulked fitting with an anti aeration tube inside about 1.75" from the bottom of the cell. I have a -8 vent on the other side.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: fuel system problem - 10/02/11 09:21 PM

Quote:

I would say you would need a larger vent than what you described. I had my fuel cell out last week and removed the fitting for the return welded to the top of the cell and replaced it with a bulked fitting with an anti aeration tube inside about 1.75" from the bottom of the cell. I have a -8 vent on the other side.

Good move on the return fitting inside your cell, things like that make a difference.
OP needs at least a #8 size for a vent if your gonna vent the tank properly at the end of a quarter mile.

Re: fuel system problem - 10/03/11 02:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good move on the return fitting inside your cell, things like that make a difference.
OP needs at least a #8 size for a vent if your gonna vent the tank properly at the end of a quarter mile.

i'm going to work on the vent, it has to be the problem.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: fuel system problem - 10/03/11 08:23 PM

You can run a simple suction side test.... T in a vacuum gauge on the suction line , 7 HG is max, The lower the better, with the pump level with the tank and every thing sized right you should see only a couple of inches vac

Re: fuel system problem - 10/04/11 12:57 AM

its not the vent. WHAT NOW?

yes, the pump is lower than the cell. actually the pump wasnt lower than the tank in the challenger and it worked great

as soon as i start drving it the pressure starts going down to nothing. if i go crack the line in front or behind the pump it works again [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]!!!!!!??????

Re: fuel system problem - 10/04/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

yes, the pump is lower than the cell. actually the pump wasnt lower than the tank in the challenger and it worked great

as soon as i start drving it the pressure starts going down to nothing. if i go crack the line in front or behind the pump it works again [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]!!!!!!??????

So what did the flow test show you

Re: fuel system problem - 10/04/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i have no one here that can help turn it on and off to check it. if i died in my garage,no one would know except for the dog maybe

Re: fuel system problem - 10/04/11 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i have no one here that can help turn it on and off to check it. if i died in my garage,no one would know except for the dog maybe

1 gallon in 24 seconds. there were 6 blocks of foam in the cell i took out
© 2024 Moparts Forums