Moparts

New land speed record track in Ohio just announced

Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 03:36 AM

I have always thought of running at Bonniville since I was a kid, but it was too far away from Columbus ,Ohio. Now , from what I have read, the East Coast Timing Association has lost their lease at the Maxton Airport in North Carolina and has secured the Wilmington Air Park in Wilmington , Ohio and it even has a smoother surface than Maxton. The Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge will be held there also. This is really exciting for us here at Sled City Fiberglass. Why you ask? We have been working on a land speed car for about 3 years, and kinda draging our feet because of the distance that we have to travel to race. Our racer is a 62 Plymouth wagon with a SCTA roll cage fabbed in by non other than John Holt Race Cars. Land speed cars have far different safety regulations than NHRA, so get a rule book and lets go racing.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 12:24 PM

Far Out Sounds fun
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 12:46 PM

I heard that also, Wilmington is 36 miles from me!!
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 08:36 PM

Thats cool

I had not heard that
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 10:43 PM

I might have to make a trip 4 hours south for that! I've always wanted to attend LSR racing! Like ya said , Bonneville is pretty far for us Ohio boys!
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 10:45 PM

The story is at the top of their website:
http://ecta-lsr.com/
and here...
http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Breaking-N...n-Air-Park.html
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/28/11 11:13 PM

That should makes about 25 race tracks in ohio !
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: New track in Ohio just announced - 09/29/11 06:49 PM

Yesterday I had my eyes all over a '69 Charger Daytona land speed car that is under construction. It is going to go for 330mph if I remember correctly and it has a big inch twin turbo Barton HEMI under the hood. The craftmanship is unreal. The owner already has another '69 Charger Daytona that has been 240+ and is getting ready to go for 260 by adding a 150hp shot of juice.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 09/29/11 07:24 PM

here is there web site from the people that worked very hard to get it going.
http://wilmingtonmile.com/index.php
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 09/29/11 08:04 PM

Wow that's awesome.
I would love to be able to go there and top out my turbo.
Posted By: Hemi Joe 4911

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/03/11 09:01 PM

GLASSMAN- Just need to know if Animal Mike is going to pilot the 62 wagon?????HEMI JOE

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/03/11 11:49 PM

Quote:

GLASSMAN- Just need to know if Animal Mike is going to pilot the 62 wagon?????HEMI JOE

Animal Mike will be part of the 27 man pit crew and I will be the driver. Should be a different experience for all of us. The car was being built for Bonniville and has been in construction for 3 years. I can run a wedge or a hemi in it and it will also do track time at the strips,running in the FX classes with you, so watch out "Hemi Joe", for the "WAR PIG" 62 Plymouth Wagon.
Posted By: AMXDuster

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/05/11 01:57 PM

Glass man, thanks for the information. How about some pics of that wagon!

Arvid Svendsen

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/05/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Glass man, thanks for the information. How about some pics of that wagon!

Arvid Svendsen

Sorry , I can't figure out how to put pictures onto this Moparts site. Can anyone help me out? I did talk to John Holt yesterday and the car will be going back into his shop for some further tweeking. This isn't a high dollar car, but I wanted something that I could beat on with no big value to the body. The aluminum 63 Dodge is being retired again real soon and replaced with "The War Pig " 62 Plymouth wagon.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 01:51 PM

for longer than I can remember, I have always wanted to go WIDE OPEN down an airport runway.

I will have to be there next year!!

I wonder what the Dakota will do in a standing mile

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 02:02 PM

Quote:

for longer than I can remember, I have always wanted to go WIDE OPEN down an airport runway.

I will have to be there next year!!

I wonder what the Dakota will do in a standing mile

I have been lucky enough to do it on the salt flats with small block 340 for over 5 miles at a time.

It really don't compare to going 264 MPH in the quarter mile though.
I'll be there next year to at least watch, maybe run one of my cars.
I still have 2 KB BAE hemis sitting here?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 02:31 PM

looks like I have to become a member of ECTA for $50 and get rule book to make sure I'm legal, and then another $100 for the event?

before I spend any money, does anyone have a copy of the rule book so I know if I'm legal or not? I have a mostly stock truck, so I assume they have a "street/stock" class that has minimal rules? --I'd be happy if this brick hit 120 in a mile. It'll already do 97 in the 1/4 mile, but as speed increases...so does drag!

still, I'd like to verify before I spend money just to find out that I need to spend more money to become legal.

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 02:45 PM

Quote:

looks like I have to become a member of ECTA for $50 and get rule book to make sure I'm legal, and then another $100 for the event?

before I spend any money, does anyone have a copy of the rule book so I know if I'm legal or not? I have a mostly stock truck, so I assume they have a "street/stock" class that has minimal rules? --I'd be happy if this brick hit 120 in a mile. It'll already do 97 in the 1/4 mile, but as speed increases...so does drag!

still, I'd like to verify before I spend money just to find out that I need to spend more money to become legal.

Oh yea you reminded me, racing in any form is not cheap.

Salt flats was free when there not running there.

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 10:06 PM

Quote:

We better buy the ECTA rule books soon. I have a feeling that they will be selling a lot of them in this area soon. I do have the SCTA rule book and their roll cages are different than a NHRA one. John Holt Race Cars bilt my cage to SCTA specs and it passed the NHRA 8.50 certification. A NHRA 8.50 certification roll cage will not pass in SCTA.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 10:11 PM

How about some pictures of the wagon Larry. You know if I come over to look at it I will drink all of your beer. poppaj

Attached picture 6859298-IMG_1807.jpg

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

How about some pictures of the wagon Larry. You know if I come over to look at it I will drink all of your beer. poppaj

Come on over and we will drink all this designer beer that was left over from my coming of age party ( 60 ). These are the beers we have left over, Back In Black, Hell And High Watermellon, Port Republic, Beck, Miller High Life(my favorite) and all the Colt 45, Budwiser, and a few others were drank at Indy. Sorry you didn't get in on the beers there at Indy, but there was a guy by the name of E-Rock getting your fair share for you. Bring your camera and post some pictures of the War Pig for me.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/06/11 10:38 PM

Sounds good to me!
Posted By: Scott58

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/07/11 05:55 PM

I called Keith Turk today at the ECTA. Concerning rule books, he said if someone just wanted to get a rule book to check out the requirements before joining, they can call Tonya and she can send one to you for $10. They are also "free" with a $50 ECTA membership. I've been an ECTA member for a few years, and I know Keith and Tonya from Drag Week (he's the race director, she keeps the stats all week). It's a good group and the events at Maxton were well run.

Contact Tonya Turk if you want a rule book!

Tonya Turk
206 Sylvan Dr
Enterprise, AL 36330
(334) 806-5749 Daytime
(334) 347-6566 nights and weekends
tturk@ecta-lsr.com

Scott

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/07/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

I called Keith Turk today at the ECTA. Concerning rule books, he said if someone just wanted to get a rule book to check out the requirements before joining, they can call Tonya and she can send one to you for $10. They are also "free" with a $50 ECTA membership. I've been an ECTA member for a few years, and I know Keith and Tonya from Drag Week (he's the race director, she keeps the stats all week). It's a good group and the events at Maxton were well run.

Contact Tonya Turk if you want a rule book!

Tonya Turk
206 Sylvan Dr
Enterprise, AL 36330
(334) 806-5749 Daytime
(334) 347-6566 nights and weekends
tturk@ecta-lsr.com

Scott

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: dmking

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/07/11 06:44 PM

i ran my 2000 zx12 at maxton a couple of years ago and it was fun that day. i got 26 passes in on the mile due to sunday people were leaving. had i only gotten 6 total passes for the mile on all the money i spent for fuel,hotel room and the 180 bucks to run the mile i would of been pissed.
i say everyone should do it once. it was great fun. and all the wile i was wondering how kool it would be to pin the duster flat for a mile.
i do not remember all of the rules i looked at but it seems 175mph is a turnning point on extra safty. i think i was ok for under that with one haylon system, speed rated tires for that speed or lower.
i had to sign a waiver for my bike on the tires not being speed rated for the speeds it would do. i was telling everyone 185mph is my goal out loud but quietly i wanted 190mph for respect. the first day was very hot and windy. i had a hard time just going 185mph. the next day i hit my mark once at 190.02mph. i burned 2.5 gal through the bike. had that been my duster i would of needed a drumb of race gas.
if you guys do try it set it up rich and take some timing out and then sneek it up and lean it out slowly. pinned for a mile is not as forgiving on a bad tune as the 1/4 is. and make sure to have fun.
there was a older guy there with a 32 chevy dirt track car. open tires no windows except for lexan over the screen in front. he hit 179mph with a 650cfm holley. there is really kool stuff there for car guys. olds car with a flat head straight 8 running 115mph or so. a one gear dirt car (no wing )sprint car pushed to start at the beginning of the mile and he hit 150mph or so.

Re: New land speed record track in Ohio just announced - 10/07/11 07:34 PM

Very cool deal. Yes running your car wide open or near wide open for miles at a time will separate the boys from the men. The tuneup better be right if you expect the motor to survive.
I did it with my 340 challenger at the Bonneville salt flats on a 95 degree day. I ran near wide open for over 5 miles at a time 3 times. It was a thrilling experience even though I have gone much faster in my top alcohol dragsters.

I bet a lot of street/muscle cars that guys drive around town would not survive because tuneups are off.
This was free, no one was around except for some tourist like ourselfs.
Oh yea the AC was on the whole time, I never turned it off and the car never got close to overheating. It climbed up to about 3/4 after about 10 minutes of wide open throttle, but cooled down when I slowed to about 100mph and cooled all the way down idling next to our rig in 95 degree weather. That's a solid cooling system and the toughest test you could put it through in hi altitude to boot. It is a brutal test of machine.

the year before we were there but did not unload the car and run it, but I did peg the speedo on our tow rig on the paved access road that has no speed limit signs.

© 2024 Moparts Forums