Moparts

Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 07:41 PM

This is some very sad news.

Keith Black Racing Engines for sale
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 08:05 PM

That sux
Posted By: mark_gates

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 08:25 PM

Sad news for sure, and I expect to see a lot more of this in the coming years; the economy, our country has been Enroned.
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 09:28 PM

No that doesnt look good
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 11:09 PM

They were so busy last year it took six months to deliver my block
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 11:44 PM

Reckon I need to get my KB oil pump and few rebuild kits ordered this week. Man this sux big time. These guys bust their kiesters to provide unmatched customer service.
I am majorly bummed about this.....
Posted By: copchaser

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 11:44 PM

Now what will 440 Source do for pistons?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 11:47 PM

that's about par for the course...picked up my block last week now they're heading towards closing the doors.
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/04/08 11:58 PM

Quote:

I think Silvolite manufactured them, not Black. I've been involved in downsizing/rightsizing/layoffs/closures (although luckily not as the owner... ) and it's no good for anyone. Not the owner, the investors, or the employees.

Hopefully someone will be able to step up and provide an influx of capital that will see the company through this time without bastardizing one of the icons of the industry.

-bill
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 12:04 AM

Quote:

United Engine and Machine makes the KB line of pistons along with the Silvolite brand

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 01:05 AM

Quote:

Hopefully someone will be able to step up and provide an influx of capital that will see the company through this time without bastardizing one of the icons of the industry.

-bill

I wish I was rich instead of so darn good lookin'.......I'd buy that company in a heartbeat.
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 02:09 AM

Sounds to me like the Bank pulled their credit line.....
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 02:32 PM

Do the fuel guys even run KB blocks anymore???? I would guess with all the money thrown at drag racing the last few years that some teams may even make their own billet blocks these days..Just curious if anyone knows the answer.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 03:15 PM

i could be wrong but i "thought" billet blocks were required in fuel classes. i believe there are a few different sources for billet blocks.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 03:17 PM

Guess that was my point...If no one but guys like us run KB blocks seems like it may be a hard sell to unload the company and hope they remain a viable company. Truly sad news as I am in the same boat as you James with a new KB block as well..
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 03:28 PM

I guess I need to order a few of the side seals for the rear cap

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/05/08 03:37 PM

Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 03:41 PM

Quote:

i could be wrong but i "thought" billet blocks were required in fuel classes. i believe there are a few different sources for billet blocks.

Very sad news
I know Tim at FHO had a KB billet block in his shop no too long ago.
Posted By: 40ford

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 04:06 PM

That is truly sad if it is true. Obviously, either what they are making isn't selling or can't make what is selling.

As a small businessman involved in manufacturing, there could be many reasons why this is happening---lack of profit, lack of sales, cost too high, the wrong location to manufacture(happens a lot today) or it could be something as simple as the family doesn't want to do it any longer!

I hope at least the name/product line can continue.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 05:20 PM

Quote:

with the long wait for blocks you'd think business was booming .

I think that has something to do with it . I'm not sure what the problem is...But to wait that long, I'M sure hurt business some...I know due to the wait, I have a Indy block between the frame rails
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 05:35 PM

Quote:

That is truly sad if it is true. Obviously, either what they are making isn't selling or can't make what is selling.

As a small businessman involved in manufacturing, there could be many reasons why this is happening---lack of profit, lack of sales, cost too high, the wrong location to manufacture(happens a lot today) or it could be something as simple as the family doesn't want to do it any longer!

I hope at least the name/product line can continue.

altho I will never have the oportunity to buy one, I hate to hear of another auto sport's Icon leave the bussiness, I hope that someone will step up and help pull this company back together before it's too late.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 06:06 PM

i bet indy and world are loving the news though'.
i hate to hear this again. it seems as though we are hearing this over and over again and we will hear this alot more in the near future.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 06:19 PM

they were making other type blocks..not just mopars..

I think they needed better marketing and reduced prices to get that company jump started..

when you see DART advertisements or BRODIX,they show their new blocks,heads,intakes and whatever else they have to offer..

whens the last time Keith black,outside of their piston line,actualy showed new items or had new items...seems the products they have just ran their course and not enough to keep their doors open...

whom ever buys out the company,hopfuly will offer new items with quality control of its namesake..

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 06:35 PM

Sign of the times. You no worry, some Asian country make brock fo you.

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/05/08 07:05 PM

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 09:56 PM

that's really bad news. it'll be a shame to lose the only true Race block capable of handling "serious" horsepower.
does anyone else offer anything with comparable features?
you know what i mean,things that really matter, not just an aluminum base block.
Billit steel caps
finished lifter bores in the size and angle of your choice
1/2" head studs
double cross bolted center mains
standard or raised cam with choice of bearing size
unparalled customer service

it seems like everything else available is okay for the average N/A or "mild" boost combo (1000-1500hp) but lacks plenty for a serious (1500+)engine combo.
we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 10:11 PM

Quote:

that's really bad news. it'll be a shame to lose the only true Race block capable of handling "serious" horsepower.
you know what i mean,things that really matter, not just an aluminum base block.
Billit steel caps
1/2" head studs

it seems like everything else available is okay for the average N/A or "mild" boost combo (1000-1500hp) but lacks plenty for a serious (1500+)engine combo.

HP Performance Block

But I am disappointed to see Keith Black close. They made awesome parts and blocks. They're blocks were tried and true 2500hp capable blocks, even the street versions

Attached picture 4731260-12-04-07-07.JPG
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Billit steel caps
1/2" head studs

HP Performance Block

But I am disappointed to see Keith Black close. They made awesome parts and blocks. They're blocks were tried and true 2500hp capable blocks, even the street versions

The Koffel/Koleno blocks are stout pieces, as well.

This could be one reason they are going out of business, Dram, there are alot of block choices now. The World blocks and the Indy have probably cut into their business, as well.
Posted By: Rapid588

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 10:23 PM

Arias has been making a similar Mopar based Hemi block to the KB that includes short, regular, and tall water blocks with raised cam and a lot of other options.

website http://www.nickariasjr.com/forsale.html

Here is their description of the block:
" 426 Hemi Block "
Introducing the all new AA-500 Aluminum Block, a direct replacement fo your 426 Hemi. Many Fuel and Alcohol combinations can be manufactured.
• Revised, proven oiling systems.
• Outboard front/rear studs aid head stud retention.
• 1/2 inch or 9/16 inch head studs.
• Re-designed internal coring and ribbing dramatically
increases strength and stability.
• Standard or raised cam location.
• Short, standard or high deck water or solid.
• Short deck (.500) water blocks available.
• Four -bolt front main.
• "Y" block with four side bolts per cap.

PRI

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 10:35 PM

Quote:

Arias has been making a similar Mopar based Hemi block to the KB that includes short, regular, and tall water blocks with raised cam and a lot of other options.

website http://www.nickariasjr.com/forsale.html

Here is their description of the block:
" 426 Hemi Block "
Introducing the all new AA-500 Aluminum Block, a direct replacement fo your 426 Hemi. Many Fuel and Alcohol combinations can be manufactured.
• Revised, proven oiling systems.
• Outboard front/rear studs aid head stud retention.
• 1/2 inch or 9/16 inch head studs.
• Re-designed internal coring and ribbing dramatically
increases strength and stability.
• Standard or raised cam location.
• Short, standard or high deck water or solid.
• Short deck (.500) water blocks available.
• Four -bolt front main.
• "Y" block with four side bolts per cap.

PRI

But there blocks have no cooling to the heads and missing three head bolts

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/05/08 10:48 PM

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 11:12 PM

what is the true cost and availability of the other blocks mentioned? also, what options do they have.
i know the world block is really just a glorified replacement block with limited options. pretty much the same for the Indy block.
Posted By: DV8

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 11:25 PM

Quote:

what is the true cost and availability of the other blocks mentioned? also, what options do they have.
i know the world block is really just a glorified replacement block with limited options. pretty much the same for the Indy block.

I agree 1000%!!! You never see any good used KB water blocks for sale compared to others who have been around way less than half the time...

Steve

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 11:42 PM

Quote:

My block is currently only one of a few. and almost everything else is limited as well. I was hoping to beable to buy a KB block in the future when I build my next motor

The KB block was so versatile
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/05/08 11:46 PM

Quote:

You apparently have no idea as to what you are saying. The entire Black family are very close friends of my family, and I take offense to a flatout STUPID comment by someone that is just throwing out a comment, just to do it. Not cool at all. If you knew these people on a personal level, you would NEVER say or think of anything in a negative fashion, regarding the entire KB Racing company.

For those of you that are not into making comments like the one above, KB Racing has been for sale for quite some time, in a private, word of mouth fashion. With the hit on the economy, foundry prices going sky high, etc., etc., Ken has had to make some very difficult decisions. Let me tell you, this is killing him, as he has worked very hard over the years, to carry on the great tradition and products that his legendary father created. Very, very sad.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 12:18 AM

I can just imagine this is hurting the entire KB family. Unless you have dealt with them, you have no idea just how customer oriented they are. The product and the customer service is second to none. Period.
I wish I had the funds to keep this business (KB) running just the way it is......I'd do it in heartbeat....and I have yet to meet ANYONE from this company face to face.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 02:09 AM

I was getting ready to order up a low deck block for a new project. Hopefully Ken is still selling blocks.
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You apparently have no idea as to what you are saying. The entire Black family are very close friends of my family, and I take offense to a flatout STUPID comment by someone that is just throwing out a comment, just to do it. Not cool at all. If you knew these people on a personal level, you would NEVER say or think of anything in a negative fashion, regarding the entire KB Racing company.

For those of you that are not into making comments like the one above, KB Racing has been for sale for quite some time, in a private, word of mouth fashion. With the hit on the economy, foundry prices going sky high, etc., etc., Ken has had to make some very difficult decisions. Let me tell you, this is killing him, as he has worked very hard over the years, to carry on the great tradition and products that his legendary father created. Very, very sad.

Take it easy there B1Cuda... I don't think there was anything bad meant by his statement.

A lot of companies have lines of credit to help them through slow seasons. And a lot of banks have been pulling those lines of credit- not because of any wrong doing on the part of the account holder, but because the banks are afraid to let anymore bad credit affect their bottom line. I had one w/ Washington Mutual. When I started hearing about the problems WM was having, I pulled all the cash out of my line of credit. Sure enough... less than a week later WM had closed ALL lines of credit. Now, it's just a 15yr fixed rate loan on what I pulled out.

Anyways, whether or not that is the case w/ KB, it was a possible reason for why they couldn't keep things going.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 03:23 AM

i don't think that comment was meant as a hit toward KB, just an educated guess due to the fact that this is what the banks are doing now to many companies, regardless of their situation. if it's not the case then that's great, i would hate if KB didn't continue.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 04:29 AM

Quote:

I think Hemi's and aluminum's are done or very soon ! http://www.b1heads.com/pdf/Koffels_block.pdf

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/06/08 07:14 AM

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 11:23 AM

Hemis will never be done
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 11:45 AM

Quote:

The nitro and alky guys have been running Brad Anderson billet blocks for years now. I bought my first one around 2000. I still have two cast KB blocks that are my spare motors and have been as fast as my billet motors.

Sorry to see em close.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 11:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, BAE

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 03:54 PM

The amount of stress that this situation has put on my dad (Ken) and my Grandma is unimaginable. I worked in the shipping department over the summer, and it was obvious the hard times in the nation and racing business in general were starting to knock on our door this year. With the economy the way it is, we took a hit. We just started pumping out our forged block, which is one of the best blocks that could be used in the NHRA and lighter than the rest too, and if that is fustrating to me, imagine how much it is for my father. There is so much potential left, just not many options I am afraid.

I was curious how word was getting around out there and now I guess I know how. I hope some solution is reached, but I don't really know, I try not to talk a lot about it, I just try to remain positive; something good will come from this I hope....

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 04:10 PM

Quote:

The amount of stress that this situation has put on my dad (Ken) and my Grandma is unimaginable. I worked in the shipping department over the summer, and it was obvious the hard times in the nation and racing business in general were starting to knock on our door this year. With the economy the way it is, we took a hit. We just started pumping out our forged block, which is one of the best blocks that could be used in the NHRA and lighter than the rest too, and if that is fustrating to me, imagine how much it is for my father. There is so much potential left, just not many options I am afraid.

I was curious how word was getting around out there and now I guess I know how. I hope some solution is reached, but I don't really know, I try not to talk a lot about it, I just try to remain positive; something good will come from this I hope....

Best of luck to you and your family, I tried to do my part. Lot's of KB stuff in my shop.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 04:36 PM

Quote:

And I hope you are correct, it bothers me that an Icon of this sport is having these problem's, and we are teetering toward's losing them, so I pray that a solution come's soon,,,, chin up and stay strong, you have my moral support, it's all I can offer
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Best of luck to you and your family, I tried to do my part. Lot's of KB stuff in my shop.

Same here, best of luck...I would have hoped that with the past success and popularity of KB that there would be companies wanting to merge and carry on a great product

Rickster
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here, best of luck...I would have hoped that with the past success and popularity of KB that there would be companies wanting to merge and carry on a great product

Rickster

X3... it's a shame what this country is coming too. I was truly hoping to purchase a KB block in the future, for now I guess I'll have to figure something else out. Maybe your dad can get in on some of that 700 billion bailout money....
Oh wait, that money is for companies who's irresponsible financial policies have put us in this mess

Anyway, best of luck to you guys, hope it all works out for the best

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 05:00 PM

Quote:

Rickster

One would think, that's still sort of what we are hoping/looking for, but as of yet there seems to be little intrest, simply people calling to say their sorry to hear about it. It's a shame really, the company has so much history and more innovations left to contribute.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/06/08 10:19 PM

This dang recession has really messed things up. 3 of my friends lost their jobs last week. Hang tough, and good luck to you and your family business.
Posted By: begood

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 12:15 AM

I hope something is worked out to keep the business going.

But I know these are real bad times, I just hope I can survive them.

Bill.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well said Chris..

This is a crazy time and the problem isn't always pulling a credit line.
People have lost their spending power--alot of this is attributed to fuel costs skyrocketing--so they cut back on the non essentials.
A Keith Black Engine Block would fall into that category if you had to weigh it versus, say, rent, eating, fueling your vehicle, or school clothes for your kids, The KB Block will wait for another day. Sad but true in too many instances.
The middle class didn't create this problem, but are told to pay to fix it..
An honest business like KB is forced out by the greed of others..

Maybe we can all get a job like this..
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/09/30/the-best-temp-gig-in-history.aspx
That is why small business can't get a break..Too many greedy haves vs. have nots..

Chris..
Posted By: Big_Fish

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 02:54 AM

Wow! Unbelievable times. Just hope things turn around soon and we can all put it behind us without loosing so much in the process. Your right, family & food come first followed by all the other living expenses and what evers left you get to use toward a hobby. Great companies like KB cater to our left overs and there aren't as many big dogs to buy from them any more like in years past. I was hoping to buy something more bullet proof and upgrade in another 2 years.
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 02:23 PM

Quote:

I am writing a book for CarTech books about how to build a max-performance 426 style gen-2 Hemi. So I called Ken and he invited me down for a day to shoot photos. I can only say that spending a few hours with Ken Black was a breath of fresh air. His hospitality was consistent with the very positive KB image. As all of you have said, KB is dedicated to customer support and makes some of the best parts out there for a Mopar. I was really impressed with Ken's forged block program and the follow-on CNC machining. I truly hope that a white knight helps one of the BEST Mopar suppliers on the planet! Good luck Ken!

Rich Nedbal
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 02:36 PM

I got the chance to speak w/ Ken Black on the phone when I ordered my block a couple years ago, very nice fella! Very happy w/ the block too, extremely nice piece, one of the best purchases I've made for my car. I wish yall the best in this unfortunate situation. CHIP
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 07:11 PM

Wow, sad to hear one of the legends in the hobby is in trouble. Best of luck in comming out of this ahead.
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 07:34 PM

Early KB pictures

Attached picture 4735643-Picture16.jpg

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 07:35 PM

Attached picture 4735645-Picture18.jpg

Attached picture 4735648-Picture19.jpg

Attached picture 4735649-Picture21.jpg
Posted By: Dartari

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/07/08 09:04 PM

I for one appreciate and respect the KB family so much so I bought my block from them earlier this year. I hope that things will turn around for them so they can continue the fine service and tradition that we have grown accustomed to.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/10/08 07:49 PM

Quote:

Early KB pictures

Oh boy does that first one look old. I seriously need to take a picture of the front of the place, it was recently re-painted and looks MUCH better.

I'll do my best to hand you guys the smaller details when we get them (I can't get too personal) But keeping you informed is important, I tried updating our website this summer, but we didn't get around to it. I'll see if I can push my dad to have me upload some sort of statement on the news section of our website.

Thanks everyone for your all your support thus far, it's been helpful.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/10/08 09:35 PM

Is the story about the book in Keith Black's Office True? The one titled "Everything I know about racing engines" that is totally empty! That is pretty good stuff there.....Or is that an ole wives tale?
Todd
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/10/08 10:51 PM

Hello,

I hope a solution presents itself soon. I would absolutely hate to be telling my children that I remembered the days of the KB engines.

Damon
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/10/08 11:18 PM

Tried to order a block today, and they said they were closed.

I hope they can work it out and get back in the game. We can bail out fools with bad credit and 125 percent home loans, but God forbid we help legit companies.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 12:51 AM

Maybe we can do a MOPARTS-KEITH BLACK bailout......
Everyone kick in c-note for the cause. Or buy a block. If someone wants to take care of the money end of it, I'd be in a couple of those c-notes.
Posted By: DV8

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 04:49 AM

Man, this stinks(no disrespect to the family, I feel bad for them)! I was planning on one for next year...

~S~
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 10:07 AM

Quote:

Everyone kick in c-note for the cause. Or buy a block. If someone wants to take care of the money end of it, I'd be in a couple of those c-notes.

just curious, and feel free to tell me to shut the _____ up because it's none of my business, but, what's a company like KB cost to buy?

1 million?
10 million?
1/2 million?

I have no idea what kind of volume you guys do, what your profit margins are or are capable of, or what kind of value you have placed on any patents that you might have
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 12:50 PM

I wish I could afford the forging dies for his blocks that I see at work.
Let alone have the capital it takes to make the smallest run of them.
No small potatoes by any means.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 01:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

just curious, and feel free to tell me to shut the _____ up because it's none of my business, but, what's a company like KB cost to buy?

1 million?
10 million?
1/2 million?

I have no idea what kind of volume you guys do, what your profit margins are or are capable of, or what kind of value you have placed on any patents that you might have

I have no idea what a company like that would be worth, but they already have the expensive stuff handled. The block design is very good, castings are excellent, CNC machine work is second to none and we already NOW how great their customer service is. Heck, all we need is a little cash flow to help get them over this little bump in the road.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 01:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that mess. Have talked to Ken a few times over the last few years and he's always gone out of his way to help out Mopar's customers when an issue pops up. Best wishes and I hope someone helps the business make a comeback. Things are tough all over these days
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Even though I have never used there stuff or foresee a need to, it kills me to see a good company fall by the wayside. I'll dontate my $100....

Mike Gray
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 01:34 PM

I'm saddened to see this happen but us american
people are the cause of this, buying off shore
products all the time, sending our money AND jobs
overseas and in doing so decrease our dollar value
Posted By: Tobbe

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 02:50 PM

to bad ..looking for a new block for a new projekt ...was in the process going away from the heavy iron ..when i heard all the good about KB hereon this forum ...and now this happend

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 03:07 PM

Just a question...I wonder if anyone at the company has considered going public? Issuing stock and having share holders might be a way to keep them going. Just a thought.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 05:30 PM

I know it might be bad luck for saying this, but I hope Indy doesn't try to buy them. That would suck.

Hopefully some big time racing team that uses KB Hemi blocks will buy them. It blows that Ken can't find an alternative

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/11/08 08:54 PM

Quote:

Just a question...I wonder if anyone at the company has considered going public? Issuing stock and having share holders might be a way to keep them going. Just a thought.

I'm in..

Chris..
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/12/08 12:55 AM

I'd buy some KB stock in a heartbeat!

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/28/08 07:45 AM

Well, still holding out a bit, we have several people interested so we will see what happens, keep your fingers crossed and hope for a happy outcome so we can still get you new KB parts.

With the economy I don't think going public in the stock market would really solve anything.

If you are interested in buying a block still, I think my dad is taking down names and numbers should things go through alright, so give him a call. I think he is still shipping out the little things like head studs etc, so if you need some quality parts give him a call to see what you can still get. www.keithblack.com (562) 869-1518 If you are seriously interested in the price he is trying to sell the company for call and ask, if you are serious about it.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/28/08 11:13 AM

Thank You for that update.

I, for one, appreciate it.

All the best to your family.

Chris..
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/28/08 12:19 PM

Yes thanks for the update. Best of luck to your family - I hope they pull through this with the company and name still intact.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/28/08 11:43 PM

Hello,

Always wanted a KB water block. This may be the time if everything works out. Good luck.

Damon
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/29/08 01:40 AM

Best of luck to you and your family. Probably some of to best customer service I've ever received. After picking up my block at the shipping dock and driving home I sat on my tailgate with my arm around it for 15 minutes. My ex wife would have been jealous.
Posted By: hemi_al588

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 10/29/08 01:34 PM

Nothing like a high quality peice like that. It does not talk back and gives you lots of pleasure , AL

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 12/03/08 01:55 PM

Hello

kbman any updates?

Damon
Posted By: jcc

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 12/05/08 06:35 PM

On a similiar note, how in the world can Indy profitably sell Alum AMC 401 Blocks with a very tainted track record regarding customer service and KB can't stay alive with great customer service selling mopar Alum blocks?
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 12/05/08 07:09 PM

maybe it's because KB has a conscience.
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 12/05/08 07:13 PM

Quote:

On a similiar note, how in the world can Indy profitably sell Alum AMC 401 Blocks with a very tainted track record regarding customer service and KB can't stay alive with great customer service selling mopar Alum blocks?

Ken told me the AMC stuff through ICH was almost entirely privately funded by a group of AMC racers. They would have never done the AMC stuff on their own.

INDY is one of the few companies who nwill make whatever you want for you if you provide enough $/incentive up front. I wanted them to do a 4500 Dominator intake for the SB & Russ told me if I paid for 20 of them up front he'd make me a custom 4500 core box & make the intakes...

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 05/28/09 02:40 AM

Spoke to Ken Black and his mother today. The buyers funding disappeared so no sale. They are building street hemi blocks have orders for Stage 15 & 16 blocks, maybe in production do not remember. They are taking orders for KB Olds blocks and as soon as they get enough orders they will make a run of those.
Best of luck Ken and family!

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/22/09 05:19 PM

Hey Folks thanks for your well wishes, I thought I might keep you all informed a bit on how things are progressing. As Policy Peddler said, our buyer's funding essentially wasn't there in the end so it was a no sale, however it was close...

Currently we are still chugging along after eight months, I'm here at the shop helping out to see what I can assist with over summer, but I don't know really a whole lot mechanically to be of real aid in the manufacturing section; mainly just organizing/shipping/cleaning, etc. We are getting some calls and managing to holding on, trying to see what we can do.

Anyways thought I would keep you folks in the loop with some updates from myself, Ken's Son/Keith's grandson, and our family. Hope all continues to go well for you guys.

If you need something (more info or parts) inquire as usual with my father at the business number (562) 869-1518.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/22/09 05:32 PM

best of luck with everything!!!

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/22/09 05:47 PM

Quote:

best of luck with everything!!!

Thanks,
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/23/09 12:28 AM

I hope the KB business can survive. They have made quality products for us MOPAR racers for many years. I emphasize the word quality.
Posted By: abodyman

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/23/09 01:38 AM

I too hope You guys can hang in there!
I wish I could buy a block from You now, but am hurting from unemployment for 6 months.
Anyway, after I get back on my feet, I would RATHER spend my $ with You guy's.
Just from what I have read on these posts.
You all seem to be just regular guys trying to get along. AND with Excellent Mopar customer service. Like the "Old days"
Thanks for giving Me some hope.
Posted By: Keith Blackยฎ

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 06/23/09 10:38 AM

I would be interested in finding a way to do that. but need more info, if anyone has a contact at KB let me know. Private Capital is my business..
Posted By: RO23J71

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 09/03/09 01:57 PM

Hello All, I am just checking in on this post from time to time to see if there is any good news yet? Terrible to see a company who has been such a big part of Mopar and racing for so many decades to be in such a situation. I have never dealt first hand with KB but I have yet to hear a single bad word about them. Fantastic products. Fantastic customer relations. What more could anyone want from a supplier? I hope this turns around for the better.
Posted By: KB RACING ENG

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/06/10 09:25 PM

I put this on another post but I thought I would cover this one as well. Thank you for reading.

Just to let everyone know that we are currently manufacturing all of the Keith Black aluminum engine blocks and components including the KB Oil Pumps, Gear Drives, Rocker Stands and Shafts and lots more. We have dropped the Stage 10 HEMI block and have decided that the Stage 15 is a better offer for the application. Times being what they are we had to consolidate a few items.
To set the record straight KBRE never closed. We had entered into negotiations with a private party that expressed a desire to purchase the company for a large sum of money, which will remain undisclosed. To make a very long story short, the individual could not produce the funds negotiated. This individual had told people that he had already purchased the company which was not true. All I have to say about this is you live and if you’re lucky, you learn.
Orders are steadily picking up and as funds permit we will rededicate efforts on projects that were put on hold. If anyone has any questions, or orders, please give us a call or send us an E-mail we will be glad to answer them.

Thank You for all your support and kind words, that's why we're still here.

Ken Black
President
KBRE
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/06/10 10:04 PM

Posted By: AndyF

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/06/10 10:23 PM

Good news Ken. One of the projects on my list is to get a low deck wedge block from you for my car. I tried to buy some parts from you last year when I was writing the big block book but nobody was answering the phone. Glad to see you guys back up and running.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/06/10 11:30 PM

All I can add to this is.....

I LOVE MY KB WATER BLOCK!!!
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/06/10 11:56 PM

Ken, so glad to see that you came here to set the record straight. Please give your mom a great big hug for me, and I wll be sure to call you one of these days and "bug" you a little bit.

Chris Costanza
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/07/10 12:10 AM

i bought my kb motor(water hemi block,heads,cast oil pump,valvecovers,crankshaft) second hand so that didnt help you at all from my end but can say that it is bad a$$$$$ lol
ralph

Attached picture 6126610-P5220648.JPG

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/07/10 08:00 AM

Probably should get a sticky for awhile.. It seems like a good thing to do for those uninformed..

Chris...
Posted By: cowbay

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/07/10 11:58 AM

Good luck and keep it going. I know it is not easy, I am a buisness owner myself with quite a few employees and in this economy the goal is not to go backwards. It only benefits all of us if everyone no matter what you do can keep it going. One thing I can say is even with this economy I am still on tract to retire at 85.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/07/10 02:51 PM

Ken....thanks for the great news. A low deck KB block is on the shopping list, only a matter of time. it's good to know that they will be available.

Re: Keith Black Engines possibly closing the doors!!!! - 08/07/10 03:24 PM

Glad to hear
© 2024 Moparts Forums