Moparts

Used flat cam.....

Posted By: Moparnut426

Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 01:53 PM

Who on here accually will buy a used hydraulic flat tappet cam with suposedly matched lifters, and run it?

We have a guy comeing inn next week with an older GM, and he has a used cam from a "buddy" and he wants us to put it in. I told him we would but there is absolutely NO guarentee that its going to work without any issues.

He didnt understand that at all. I told him I would feel better if he bought a new set of lifters becaust you can not guarentee the lifters didnt get accidently switched around.

Hopefully he either buys a new set of lifters, or I scared him enough that he just gets everything new.

I have done it myself, but I pulled the cam out of a running engine, and swapped them out right there, no boxes duct taped together.

Kasey
Posted By: BradH

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 02:31 PM

The thing that always scares me from using a used cam & lifters is that even if you do keep the lifters in the same order, the two blocks would have to have been machined exactly the same to ensure the same lifter-to-lobe wear pattern. I figure the odds of that are about slim and none, short of both blocks having had their lifter bores bushed by the same machinist using exactly the same equipment.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 02:38 PM

Personally, I wouldn't build it at all unless he bought new lifters. Even if he agreed there was no warranty and if anything happened it was all on him...I still wouldn't put my name on it. No matter what happens, you built it.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

The thing that always scares me from using a used cam & lifters is that even if you do keep the lifters in the same order, the two blocks would have to have been machined exactly the same to ensure the same lifter-to-lobe wear pattern. I figure the odds of that are about slim and none, short of both blocks having had their lifter bores bushed by the same machinist using exactly the same equipment.

I've heard this stated before and while I'll agree there can be a problem I don't think it's all that critical. I've had my solid flat tappet Hughes/Engle cam in two different stock blocks, a 68 340 and an 89 360 block with the same lifters. I've never had a problem with it even without any additives to the Mobil 1 oil I used.

Of course new lifters would be prefered but as long as he knows it's all on him, and you put it in writing with him signing, I'd do it. I take whatever I can get these days.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 02:49 PM

!!! true!!!

Well I seriously think he is gonna buy a new one. He must have talked to another guy and got the same answer I gave him.

Kasey
Posted By: therocks

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 05:14 PM

I bought 2 solids froma old racer.The lifters were all in order.Ran them for about 6 years total.Never had a problem.At the shops I worked at there was never any guarantee when customers brought in their parts.We simply told them even if new and they didnt work that was tuff luck.No warranty or guarantees.If they didnt like it they could walk.You make $$ on parts not just labor.Im not fixing something that I didnt buy but just installed.Rocky
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 07:48 PM

I would actually prefer a good used one to a new one, because someone else took the risk of the run-in, and if the used camkit is OK, then there should be no hardening fault or other issues with those parts. That is also my experience. I have had breakdowns with new stuff done correctly, so there must be quality problems as well, not only the wear pattern or lube issues. But there is always a risk... You are lucky if your client takes the risk, then you have your back free! My
Posted By: dcr

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/23/11 11:44 PM

Im useing a used cam now in my 512 but I did get it from a friend so I knew it was good.One time in a small block chevy I put a used solid lift cam in but did not have lifter I had a set used big block lifters spent a little time on a surface plate with some wet/dry and lapped them in a figure 8 pattern and ran it for six years untill a connecting rod broke and shattered cam I agree with above post saves the worry of breaking in a new cam if you know its good.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Used flat cam..... - 09/24/11 12:11 AM

YEARS ago I used a hyd cam that a friend gave me and
all the lifters were just thrown in a box... worked great
(was in a chevy)
© 2024 Moparts Forums