Moparts

-1 heads ?

Posted By: racerx

-1 heads ? - 09/21/11 12:17 AM

Is it okay to use some sort of locite on the studs that holds the rocker shafts down onto the heads? .Thax
Posted By: Ari440

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 12:28 AM

oil or molly lube

if you use loctite and it hardens it a cusion inbetween the threads and would lose tourqe after awaile
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 12:43 AM

I never used any loctite. I just hand tighten the studs, then put the rockers shafts and holddowns on with the nuts and torqued to final.

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 01:22 AM

Thax....Fellas reason I'm asking is on several occasions when i disassemble the rockers i've notice that a few of the studs were loose and had back out a few threads.....
Posted By: AndyF

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 02:07 AM

You might need larger diameter pushrods.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 02:11 AM

Quote:

I never used any loctite. I just hand tighten the studs, then put the rockers shafts and holddowns on with the nuts and torqued to final.

x2

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 02:49 AM

Quote:

You might need larger diameter pushrods.

Please explain Andyf
Posted By: rebel

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 08:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

x2

x3

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 03:56 PM

If the rocker studs are moving around then something is making them move. Most likely suspect is that your pushrods are not stiff enough. Call Manton and tell him what springs you are using, what RPM you're running and ask him what you need.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 04:20 PM

Quote:

If the rocker studs are moving around then something is making them move. Most likely suspect is that your pushrods are not stiff enough. Call Manton and tell him what springs you are using, what RPM you're running and ask him what you need.

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/21/11 06:20 PM

If that is a dead end then maybe your rocker shafts aren't stiff enough for the load. Step up to a thicker wall rocker shaft and things might stay together better.

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/22/11 05:40 AM

I have a set of push rods on order(smith Brothers)and discussing my combo with him he recommend the .120 wall thickness for my combo the old rods were .083.Don't no what the wall thickness on the Harland Sharpe r shafts r though
Posted By: bumps440

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/22/11 09:13 PM

Quote:

I have a set of push rods on order(smith Brothers)and discussing my combo with him he recommend the .120 wall thickness for my combo the old rods were .083.Don't no what the wall thickness on the Harland Sharpe r shafts r though

The harland sharp shafts are definitely NOT the problem, they are very thick and rigid.
from here I cant go back and see what you are using for hold downs (will assume the harland sharp hold downs too) no problem with those either. and bolts or studs?

Re: -1 heads ? - 09/22/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The harland sharp shafts are definitely NOT the problem, they are very thick and rigid.
from here I cant go back and see what you are using for hold downs (will assume the harland sharp hold downs too) no problem with those either. and bolts or studs?

The old setup were indys.The ones r Harlands(which i have not installed yet).......Thax
© 2024 Moparts Forums