Moparts

WINDAGE TRAY?

Posted By: maximum entropy

WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 04:13 PM

some swear by 'em, some swear at 'em. are they really necessary when using a good oil pan?
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 04:50 PM

A or B engine?
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 05:03 PM

Define a good oil pan. One with out a hole?

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 06:38 PM

Quote:

Define a good oil pan. One with out a hole?

lol. a good deep pan, drain hole only (with plug), "b"engine.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 06:44 PM

My engine builder,Todd...said with me running 7 qts. of oil,in my Moroso 8 qt. pan,that it really wasn't needed,because the crank was a good distance from the oil in the sump,creating very little windage. Also,it would hinder the oil returning back to the pan,more than without the tray! Been running it that way for 6 yrs.,shifting at 6500..trapping at 66-6700rpm!..so far,so good! Randy B.

Attached picture 6834662-DSC01713(Small).JPG
Posted By: Stanton

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 06:59 PM

Generally when you use a deep pan you toss the windage tray.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 07:01 PM

No Randy, he told you it wasn't needed becuase he knew the car would sit in the garage most of the time
Posted By: BradH

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 07:39 PM

What type of oil pan? What stroke? RPM? Track-only or street/strip?

A REAL "race" oil pan wouldn't use a "strap-on" windage tray like an OEM piece, but might still have some type of windage tray/screen integrated into it.

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 08:24 PM

Quote:

A REAL "race" oil pan wouldn't use a "strap-on" windage tray like an OEM piece, but might still have some type of windage tray/screen integrated into it.

milodon low profile pan on a 511 tall deck stroker, race only. it seems that quite a few racers are ditching the traditional louvered tray. i couldn't get this one to fit with the internal pickup and girdle without cutting away a substantial portion of the tray. i have a tray in mine (milodon), but i have an external pickup. i've often wondered if the tray was doing more harm than good?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 08:47 PM

FWIW...I did not use a windage tray on my 440,but I did install a crank scraper from Isihara-Johnson.I'm using a older Moroso pan/pickup,and no problems so far.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/20/11 09:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

milodon low profile pan on a 511 tall deck stroker, race only. it seems that quite a few racers are ditching the traditional louvered tray. i couldn't get this one to fit with the internal pickup and girdle without cutting away a substantial portion of the tray. i have a tray in mine (milodon), but i have an external pickup. i've often wondered if the tray was doing more harm than good?

LIKE ON a high $$ pan like this ? ...no I would not use a typical tray. But on a OEM stocker or a 100$ eBay piece ? ... I SURE would. It cuts down on "windage" and works like ...on a very small part .. like a scraper.
Posted By: rebel

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/21/11 08:18 AM

no tray here, just a homebuilt crank scraper
Posted By: AndyF

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/21/11 03:48 PM

Depends on the pan. Stock type pans would probably benefit from a windage tray while race pans usually won't.

Here is a Charlies pan that has a built in tray and scraper. No need to use a windage tray with a pan like this.

Attached picture 6835994-dyno.jpg
Posted By: Labratt

Re: WINDAGE TRAY? - 09/22/11 04:21 AM

Bill..that MUST be the reason my motor has been in one piece for the last 6 yrs.! Thanks,Buddy!
© 2024 Moparts Forums