Moparts

Billet rear main seal

Posted By: dodgeram1998

Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 12:41 AM

I have a stock rear main seal that leaks oil urrrgghhh!! , 440 source main caps, the main caps studs didnt clear the stock seal retainer,, massaging was necessary. How well do these newer billet rear main seal retainers clear after market main caps/ and or studs ??,, in addition are folks happy how well the new billet piece seals.. thought about purchasing the Mancini racing billet ??

Thanks again moparts family
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 01:24 AM

i have a indy one that i had to grind on to clear the studs.other than that it work's good. brad
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 01:28 AM

How can the studs affect the seal retainer ... they are in the same location as the main bolts and are the same size. They may be longer but that will have nothing to do with the seal retainer.

Just out of curiosity, are you installing the retainer correctly - it only goes one way.

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 01:41 AM

Well if I remember correctly the retainer does interfere with studs on the mains,, dont have a picture to show otherwise however I do remember grinding (clearancing) on the retainer like it was yesterday ..
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

How can the studs affect the seal retainer ... they are in the same location as the main bolts and are the same size. They may be longer but that will have nothing to do with the seal retainer.

Just out of curiosity, are you installing the retainer correctly - it only goes one way.

Perhaps he is referring to the nuts on the studs rubbing the seal

If this is the case you should be able to clear it with 12 point nuts instead of the 6ers
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 01:50 AM

I used the one from Mancini for my 493 with ARP main studs and had to do a very small amount of grinding No big deal it's a custom part.
Gus

Attached picture 6825259-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 02:18 AM

i used 1. had to grind down the studs. no big deal. if ur crank is knurled, it will still leak. oil seeps under the seal through the knurls. only cure for that is a rope seal. stay safe, seeya.

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 02:33 AM

Thanks everyone , will have to order one tonite.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 02:45 AM

Shaft to bore concentricity and seal half alignment play a key role in weather the rear main will seal. Knurled shaft surfaces have little to do with sealing as long as there is not a groove wore in it.

Stock retainer and main stud nut interferance

Attached picture 6825379-DSC00226.jpg

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

i am talking about the top near the pan rail i had to grid for the studs not the seal area.it may have been changed since i bought mine 5 or 6 years ago and the stud's are longer than the bolt's . brad
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 04:12 AM

Without a pic I wouldn't have believed it. I have a 440Source retainer and it clears my studs/bolts just fine. I did have to ding the pan for stud clearance though. I could have ground the studs but didn't want to take them out and didn't want to grind them in the motor either.

Re: Billet rear main seal - 09/14/11 04:28 AM

mine was a indy and 440 sor. might have fixed /changed what indy did when they first made them.sorry i don't have any pic's. brad
© 2024 Moparts Forums