Moparts

Broke the ring gear what should I do?

Posted By: mopartuner

Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:07 PM

I broke the ring gear in the 8-3/4 rear end(489 case)this was a 410 gear and had many street miles and some 10 second passes on it as well as the 12 second passes this last weekend.The car has a spool and is a small block(360,904 combo)and is 3000lbs.My question is should I just get a set of gears and go or should I change to a 742 case?The car has 35 sline axels in it as well.
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:10 PM

build a dana and re use the axles you have.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:11 PM

Clean it and install new gears. The 742 is not stronger than the 489.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:14 PM

I would think your case,spool & axles should be fine unless it was injured. You may have broke the sprag in your transmission,You may want to pull the trans & check.

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:18 PM

Quote:

I would think your case,spool & axles should be fine unless it was injured. You may have broke the sprag in your transmission,You may want to pull the trans & check.

I called my tranny guy and he said if the overrunning clutch was gone that I would have no first gear and I did manage to back it up and put it up on the trailer in forword in low gear.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

Clean it and install new gears. The 742 is not stronger than the 489.

It's not ?

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I called my tranny guy and he said if the overrunning clutch was gone that I would have no first gear and I did manage to back it up and put it up on the trailer in forword in low gear.

Is the guy going to stand behind that statement if and when your front drum comes thru the floor of your car ?

What gear were you in when this happened ?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:25 PM

Inspect the carrier for cracks, get new clutchs and order a new ring/pinion and go.

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is the guy going to stand behind that statement if and when your front drum comes thru the floor of your car ?

1st gear......right on the starting line

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pull the trans ...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take the tranny out and inspect the rear spraque Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't Way better to be safe than not I have a high dollar 727 SS trans that drives fine at low throttle but if I foot stall it it up and hit it, it acts like it is in nuetral, backs up good, goes into all the gaers, drives fine at low throttle. I broke the rear end it the car with that trans before that happened. I have several trans and need to take that one apart to fix it Be safe
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Take the tranny out and inspect the rear spraque Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't Way better to be safe than not I have a high dollar 727 SS trans that drives fine at low throttle but if I foot stall it it up and hit it, it acts like it is in nuetral, backs up good, goes into all the gaers, drives fine at low throttle. I broke the rear end it the car with that trans before that happened. I have several trans and need to take that one apart to fix it Be safe

The last rear end I broke I did it in 1st gear,I still had low and reverse.I didnt think it was broke.I went ahead and pulled the trans and everything looked fine till I pulled the low reverse drum.The output shaft bushing was broken and the sprag was injured.Yeah its enough to piss a fellow off for sure!

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 06:37 PM

My transmission guy offered to check it for free so I think I will pull it.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 06:38 PM

Buy new gears and replace them. In my 10 sec Barracuda I have only broken 2 sets of gears in 15 years. I don't think that's a bad record. I am running a powerglide which is a little softer than a TF. If you were using a TF definitely take it apart and check it or have it checked.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 06:56 PM

Pull the trans, inspect the over running clutch, no doubt about it. No way, no how I would chance it.

As for the 42 vs the 89, the 42 is stronger in that it has a larger rear pinion bearing which in turn reduces some pinion gear deflection. Other than that, no they are the same. Inspect the caps carefully as well as the carrier.

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 07:20 PM

Are you still using the pinion crush sleeve to set the pinion bearing preload or a spacer and shims? If crush sleeve, lose it and buy a spacer from Ratech Better yet,if you have access to a 742 case get it and use it

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 07:26 PM

Quote:

Are you still using the pinion crush sleeve to set the pinion bearing preload or a spacer and shims? If crush sleeve, lose it and buy a spacer from Ratech Better yet,if you have access to a 742 case get it and use it

If I go to a 742 case then I need to buy another spool don't I?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If I go to a 742 case then I need to buy another spool don't I?

No, but the ring and pinion is different as are the bearings for the pinion gear. You'll also need setup shims and the gear selection for the 742 case isn't as great as for the 489.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 09:11 PM

The bad part about the 489 case is it uses a crush
sleeve and the caps on the carrier are some what weak...
if you change the cap/caps and go to a solid sleeve
they work fine

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/12/11 09:49 PM

Quote:

they work fine

I forgot about the steel cap (Mark Willaims offers ) needed on the left side, If your going to stress any of the 8 3/4 center sections you should get one also
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/13/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO, 50/50 chance the sprag is damaged. It might not be completely scattered, but if it has started to lay over it is just a few passes at high power before it lets go.

Is the valve body low band (1st) apply? If so, it is even harder to determine if the sprag is damaged without pulling it apart. But either way an inspection is good insurance.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/13/11 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they work fine

I forgot about the steel cap (Mark Willaims offers ) needed on the left side, If your going to stress any of the 8 3/4 center sections you should get one also

Why spend the money on a 8 3/4 getting caps, when you could put that money towards a stronger rear end? It already most likely caused tranny damage, think fixing the 8 3/4 is wise?
Different rear end is the best value and it drops out just like a 8 3/4. He's already got 35 spline axles I believe.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/13/11 01:41 AM

If you broke in 1st gear then the sprag is garbage.I build trannys 8 3/4, the caps won't help because what breaks gears is case deflection

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/13/11 03:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IMO, 50/50 chance the sprag is damaged. It might not be completely scattered, but if it has started to lay over it is just a few passes at high power before it lets go.

Is the valve body low band (1st) apply? If so, it is even harder to determine if the sprag is damaged without pulling it apart. But either way an inspection is good insurance.

It coasts in first when you let off the gas in first so I guess it is not a low band apply valve body,it is a cheetah reverse manual
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Broke the ring gear what should I do? - 09/13/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

If you broke in 1st gear then the sprag is garbage.I build trannys 8 3/4, the caps won't help because what breaks gears is case deflection

Sure didnt hurt my sprag... and its still in there...
but we all get lucky now and then
© 2024 Moparts Forums