Moparts

Seat belt question

Posted By: mopartuner

Seat belt question - 09/09/11 01:41 PM

My car has race belts in it from when I ran 10.90 but they are out of date, but will these be ok to go out with my small motor and run some low 12 sec passes?
Posted By: aquamist60

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 01:55 PM

If you are doing a local track and they know you, they "might" let you pass. Depends on who does the tech. I've had some pick the car apart and some just sign the form. Roll of the dice.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 02:33 PM

only need updated belts if you run 11.49. the belts i have in my dads car are about 5 years outdated. thats one of the smartest things NHRA has done IMO.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 04:13 PM

They only need to be with in the date IF your car is REQUIRED to have them per the rules.

If it's nor going fast enough per the rules to require them then the date doesn't apply.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 04:53 PM

I never did like that 2 yr rule. It's stupid.

I ran 11.90's then 11.70's later w/belts that were 7 yrs old.

The tech guy couldn't believe they were that old, because they looked almost new.

Common sense comes to play here. If they're ragged, replace them. I could only wish that the tracks would leave it up to the tech inspector to determine whether the belts were safe or not. I have better things to spend money on than belts that don't need replacing.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 06:13 PM

i would rather trust 10 year old race belts than my 30 year old stock belts.
Posted By: mopartuner

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 06:52 PM

Cool.........I found my old original belts to put in if that will make them happy,I should be o.k.Wish me luck,I haven't been able to race for about 4 years now(job change,wife's health)So I will need all the luck I can get.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 08:31 PM

I know with me that when I had stock belts in it they never said anything but with the race harness they wanted the right dated ones no matter what et I ran. Once you go with the race belts I believe they can make you run the dated ones if they want to hassle you. Ron
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 09:06 PM

Quote:

I know with me that when I had stock belts in it they never said anything but with the race harness they wanted the right dated ones no matter what et I ran. Once you go with the race belts I believe they can make you run the dated ones if they want to hassle you. Ron

I have heard that if you cut the SFI tag off its OK
for slower than 11.50... dont know for FACT... I need
2 sets of new belts and I want to see if I can get a
set re-webbed in black with no SFI sticker for the
pass side of my Rampage(they have the max re-web
on the hardware already... 5 times)
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Seat belt question - 09/09/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

10:5 DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
A quick-release, 3-inch driver restraint system, with a 2-inch crotch strap, meeting SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory in all cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. (Permitted in all other classes.) A 3-inch SFI Spec 16.5 driver restraint system is also acceptable wherever an SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory or permitted. Driver restraint system must be clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer.

if you have a roll bar or cage, you need dated belts.

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 12:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A quick-release, 3-inch driver restraint system, with a 2-inch crotch strap, meeting SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory in all cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. (Permitted in all other classes.) A 3-inch SFI Spec 16.5 driver restraint system is also acceptable wherever an SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory or permitted. Driver restraint system must be clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer.

I had planned on using a dated belt on the drivers seat
but I dont want to on the pass seat
Posted By: aquamist60

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you need to worry about the pass. seat. Been through Stock Elimn. tech many times and they've never checked to even see if the pass. seat had a belt.

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 12:40 AM

I don't think you need to worry about the pass. seat. Been through Stock Elimn. tech many times and they've never checked to even see if the pass. seat had a belt.

I want belts over there just to make it street legal
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 04:55 AM

The passenger seat belts do NOT need to have current dates.

I regularly ran my outdated sets in prostreet cars.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 05:32 AM

i agree with 340b5. changing perfectly good belts is bull. u don't see the state making u change belts in ur daily driver every 2 yrs. just some more bull to suck more money from our pockets. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 05:33 AM

Quote:

The passenger seat belts do NOT need to have current dates.

I regularly ran my outdated sets in prostreet cars.

But your the TECH GUY!!!!!!! who would have thought you were illegal.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Seat belt question - 09/10/11 05:44 AM

I know at my local track when I go to just a test & tune they actually tech you in while in the staging lanes and most of the time they never look at anything on my car as they just give me a number. It seems most cars at T & T's thats what they do unless the car really looks unsafe. Seems like most of the time they have alot of cars to tech and they just roll along trying to get everyone teched in before the staging lane moves. Ron
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Seat belt question - 09/11/11 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong.

If you are REQUIRED by the rules to have a roll bar or cage the you need the belts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums