Moparts

True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update.

Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 01:52 AM

Well i got some update pics from the chassis shop. Their waiting on my decision to either retain the stock firewall & frame forward or go with a full tube chassis. Currently in my parts their are no 10.5 outlaw classes and when their were the car count was low so they allowed other cars to run the class. not sure of the penaltys though.
Any way just thought I would share and maybe get some input.

Attached picture 6817282-2011-Dodge-001.jpg

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 01:56 AM

2nd pic.

Attached picture 6817289-2011-Dodge-003.jpg

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 01:58 AM

last one.

Attached picture 6817296-2011-Dodge-005.jpg
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 02:01 AM

if I had gone that far I would go full tube but that is me.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 02:13 AM

I would leave it stock, but we have alot of outlaw 10.5 cars up here.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 02:19 AM

Wow....been waiting for this post for awhile.

I can't offer any help with the decision....However I do have some input. Here it is:

Oh hell yeah!!!

That's the best I can do.
Not very helpful though. Sorry.

So glad to see progress on it in ANY direction, after all the hoopla and all it's been through....it's really great to see such a serious effort being applied.

Keep up the good work, and as always PM anytime if I can help. Looking GREAT.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/09/11 02:43 AM

honestly, you have gone pretty far already, and a full chassis will be far more car in terms of resale and consistency for racing. The stock suspension is heavy and it will limit the ability to move your weight to allow best transfer. I would go full chassis..
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 02:50 AM

Quote:

Well i got some update pics from the chassis shop. Their waiting on my decision to either retain the stock firewall & frame forward or go with a full tube chassis. Currently in my parts their are no 10.5 outlaw classes and when their were the car count was low so they allowed other cars to run the class. not sure of the penaltys though.
Any way just thought I would share and maybe get some input.

I would leave the firewall in the stock location and have new horns fabbed up with the stock mounting locations for your suspension (the front horn rule is really a joke, because none of the competitive cars are really stock...lol) you can still run struts, I can't see it being much of a loss from a full tube chassis performance wise

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 03:10 AM

What do the rules say for any class that you plan
on running... if you can still run the same class I
would go full tube chassis and cut the firewall out

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 03:15 AM

I would leave the firewall in the stock location and have new horns fabbed up with the stock mounting locations for your suspension (the front horn rule is really a joke, because none of the competitive cars are really stock...lol) you can still run struts, I can't see it being much of a loss from a full tube chassis performance wise

Rickster

I'm thinking that way, but with the old school Hemi between the strut towers it's tight. Looking at clearanceing the towers. The stock suspension is out the window as the design of the "virtual ball joint" is no good over 150 mph. Already have the strange units ready to order Zippy thanks

Attached picture 6817443-P1010022.JPG
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 03:44 AM

Yep, that motor won't fit in there. Please pm me for my address and I'll trade you a SB that will fit better.

Awesome build

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 03:59 AM

Quote:

Yep, that motor won't fit in there. Please pm me for my address and I'll trade you a SB that will fit better.

lol
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/09/11 01:05 PM

Quote:

Rickster

I'm thinking that way, but with the old school Hemi between the strut towers it's tight. Looking at clearanceing the towers. The stock suspension is out the window as the design of the "virtual ball joint" is no good over 150 mph. Already have the strange units ready to order Zippy thanks

Build the strut mounts out of round stock....just the horns need to be (stock looking) I would do the horns in CM also.....that should open up some room and save #'s

Jimmy just went through this on the Blown Dart....to meet the 10.5 rules everywhere

Rickster
Posted By: mopar_mark

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/10/11 05:55 PM

Big Block - Cars looking great - thanks for the PM

Having gone the full chassis route, I can understand the pluses.

Photos show it's a bit of squeeze with the Hemi in there, I think I would seriously consider the info/advice given by Rickster. As this leaves you with more class options, larger market if you do decide to sell.

Done right, I personally do not think it will be more of a penalty, apart from to your pocket then again, when your in this deep, its a little ripple in the ocean.

Be good to speak to Jimmy, to get his experience, not sure if you know him. He's a real nice guy to speak to & I am 100% sure he would willing give you an insight or advice

Looking forward to reading the updates

All the Best,

Mark . . .

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/19/11 04:59 PM

couple more updates

Attached picture 6832954-2011Challenger6.jpg

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/19/11 05:24 PM

another

Attached picture 6832987-2011Challenger7.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/19/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

honestly, you have gone pretty far already, and a full chassis will be far more car in terms of resale and consistency for racing. The stock suspension is heavy and it will limit the ability to move your weight to allow best transfer. I would go full chassis..

I will go a little further with my comments on this after running this season on a 4-link car that has stockish front suspension on it:

All the issues we had with consistency, reaction time, pulling hard one way or another, was the crappy factory front suspension parts! They are ok to a point, then you get to a certain ET and they are a big hinderence. All the slop, all the binding, all the variability in it causes issues. Full chassis and be done with it and not look back.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Challenger update. - 09/19/11 05:46 PM

I wanted a car woth stck front rails and firewall. None close to what I wanted were for sale. Just a 70 Cuda roller cost me 25K tuhbges where around for 15ZK. There is more of as market for resale with back half

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/19/11 05:50 PM

The stock suspension is out! Going back up to the shop next week to talk about the front suspension

Attached picture 6833026-2011Challenger10.jpg
Posted By: Leon441

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/19/11 06:19 PM

A good 10.5 outlaw chassis shop should be very familiar with 10.5 rules. From my experience you have to have the firewall in most all classes. Not much to loose there anyway. The shock towers can be trimed as long as the upper strut bolt-in is stock. You can cut all the frame away except where the lower control arms actually bolt up. On K-member cars sense the K-member bolts in all of this can be tubular.

But, that said these 10.5 outlaw real car classes are falling by the wayside and are extremely competitive. 4.40 1/8 mile or stay home. A true 10.5 or radial class is fast but, they seem to be the bright and shining star right now.

Leon
Posted By: silverfish

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/19/11 10:41 PM

Wow this is an awesome build no matter which direction you choose to go. I can't wait to see the end result. If it were me I would keep the stock firewall and go the outlaw 10.5 route versus the tube chassis route. However, if you are just planning to bracket race the car then tube chassis would be the way to go for sure. It all boils down to what you want to do with the car. I don't think re-sale value should really play a factor here because no matter which way you go you will never recover your money. I imagine you are building this car to keep and not to sell in a few years right? Keep us updated. Looking great so far!
Posted By: 68CudaB1

Re: True 10,5w chassis or full tube '09 Callenger update. - 09/23/11 02:19 PM

IF you are gonna race in the Northeast Outlaw 10.5 class (Cecil,Atco,Ultimate Outlaw Series,Shakedown 10.5)let Kenny put a full tube in it that will still be legal for that class. It will still retain the firewall and a "stub" of the original frame rails.

IMO, you need to first answer which class you want to run in, and then build the car to that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums