Moparts

How Much Slick Clearance is Required?

Posted By: markz528

How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 02:58 AM

Went with the M/T 31 x 10.5W slick. It is about an inch taller than my old Phoenix tire.

How much minimum clearance should I have to the front lip to feel comfortable? This is a ladder bar car.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 03:01 AM

1 1/2" or so Mark minimal.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 05:14 AM

Quote:

Went with the M/T 31 x 10.5W slick. It is about an inch taller than my old Phoenix tire.

How much minimum clearance should I have to the front lip to feel comfortable? This is a ladder bar car.

How wide are the rims are you mounting them on? I have the same size tire and brand mounted on 10 inch rims now with right at 1.25 inch clearance to the front lip, ran 129 MPH without rubbing with 4.10 gears The car is running 5 more MPH now that I switch heads and intake, I'm going to put them back on the car this weekend so I will see how that works out I'll also re measure them as I have also changed the rear end from a 8 3/4 to a Dana 60 so it may not be in the exact same location as before
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 05:20 AM

As a quick check... if I can slip my palm in its good
so that about 1"... and thats at 150 mph
Posted By: Islandcuda

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 12:50 PM

I always use 2 fingers but have seen less
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 01:18 PM

mr p ,,does radials 'grow' more over standarad slick??
i know in most cases, a tire will actually get more skinny' at speed, of course, but will the radial, or for that matter a stiff sidewall tire get bigger overall, ??
i runn a 33 /16.5 and i have around a 1-1 1/4 in the front,
but i havent had car out yet, all new so i'm thinking to run a smaller tire 32/14.5 w radial to increase my clearance, sure dont want to take out new quarters tire and paint ,
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 04:49 PM

Radials do not grow at speed like the bias plys do It probally depends on how wide the rim is , how much MPH the car runs and some other things like how much downforce is on the rear of the car at speed Does it raise the rear up at higher speed or does the downforce push it down at the finish line
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 05:24 PM

They dont grow much but also the front of the tire
doesnt see as much growth as the top
Posted By: markz528

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 08/31/11 06:08 PM

I don't know why, but I have 1 1/4 inch clearance on the passenger side and 1/2 inch on the driver side. I knew there was a difference, but I never had an issue with it.

M/T tells me the tires will grow 1 1/2 inches @ 150 mph. My car runs 140 mph.

I checked the squareness of my rear to the front crossmember, and it is dead square. I guess I need to cut my driver quater panel.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: How Much Slick Clearance is Required? - 09/01/11 01:21 AM

Quote:

How much minimum clearance should I have to the front lip to feel comfortable?

M/T tells me the tires will grow 1 1/2 inches @ 150 mph. My car runs 140 mph.

Wow.
Those tires grow a lot. I will have to actually measure, but my Pheonix slicks only have about 3/4" to the front lip and no problems. 14" wide rim with 13.6" tread, 143 mph.

Is M/T saying 1.5" radius or diameter change?
© 2024 Moparts Forums