Moparts

These valve covers WILL NOT seal

Posted By: ProSport

These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 05:10 PM

I need , these fab aluminum valve covers with the long 1/4-20 bolts will not seal.

When I got the car I removed the covers to check valve lash. I installed new rubber coated fiber gaskets with no sealer and they leaked. So I bought another new set of gaskets and a tube of grey RTV(this stuff seals anything). And they still leak!!!!!!!

These are iron heads, I'm not sure if the surfaces are flat or not. I've always ran valve cover studs with 440Source covers on my Dart with no sealers and no problems.

Does anybody run these covers with good luck?

Attached picture 6799253-DSCN4878.jpg
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 05:17 PM

Thats the same cover I run on my small block, I use a thick cork gasket and no sealer
Posted By: fishy340

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 05:20 PM

not related to the valve cover,but change neck to a gen mot 90 deg swivel,that bend u have in the hose may cause u problems i changed mine to the gm 90deg works fine now

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 06:17 PM

I actually hate that kind of radiator hose, it will be coming off soon. I had one blow off and spray 190 degree antifreeze all over me a few years ago.

I just can't belive that with good gaskets and grey RTV these things did not seal. I don't even have a clue what to try next. The Moroso gaskets that are rubber with a steel shim would probably work but if they don't it will be a waste of another $40.
Posted By: therocks

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 06:27 PM

Try a set of Mr Gasket ultras.Install dry and Ill bet they seal.We installed the famous for leak MP cast covers and no leaks at all even after taking them off to adjust valves.Rocky
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 06:46 PM

i'm not sure if the moroso blue ones are like any of the ones talked about, but they are thick and have a steel core so they stay to shape. they work perfectly for me and a will never have to buy another set. that's what i'd try.
Posted By: stroked470

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 07:37 PM

The last set I ran I had to take them to a friends shop and put them on his belt sander to make them flat, They were warped like crazy from the welding. I never had a leak on them with cheap Felpro gaskets after making them flat.
Posted By: Butch

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 08:32 PM

Your problem is the RTV. It's ok to use RTV to hold the gasket to the VC. Be sure to let it dry over night. When you apply RTV to both surfaces(at least iron heads) with out curing it the gasket slips off of the surfaces when tightened. Silicone as you know very slippery. Just my

Butch
Posted By: 540DUSTER

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/28/11 08:53 PM

are the bolts bottoming out in the head before it tightens down on the cover?
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 01:26 AM

i have them for my smallblock too...dont they make a steel cire rubber gasket like the magnum smallblock gasket? Best valve cover gasket there is! If they do make it for BB, get it.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 01:51 AM

These:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopestcovaco.html

I just put a set on my 440 with mp cast covers. Years of bs with cork, fiber, silicone. Put these on dry no leaks, and have pulled covers a couple times. I'll never buy anything else.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 02:53 AM

Quote:

These:
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopestcovaco.html

I just put a set on my 440 with mp cast covers. Years of bs with cork, fiber, silicone. Put these on dry no leaks, and have pulled covers a couple times. I'll never buy anything else.

That is what I use BUT I do have alum heads and block which I know are nice and even. I have taken them off and on several times and no issues and I only use 4 of the 6 screws to hold the valve covers on.

Russ
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 03:01 AM

Quote:

I only use 4 of the 6 screws to hold the valve covers on.

Russ

Now you're just bein' mean.
Posted By: codfish

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 03:07 AM

I use the cork gaskets, glued/RTVed to the valve covers. Let dry over night with weight on them. Then smear some grease on the gasket-to-head surface of the gasket and voila. NO leaks. And gasket can be re-used over and over again. Will not stick.

And as mentioned above, make sure the bolts aren't too long.

good luck
codfish
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 04:08 AM

Make sure the valve cover is flat first... if they
arent your wasting your time and money
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 11:03 AM

Iron bb heads valve cover rails are not flat. They are not supposed to be. The threaded holes are not square to the surface, they are tipped toward the intake side of the engine on purpous, as are the bosses they are drilled into. I'm very supprized you were able to get bolts in at all. If you put a straight edge on the thread bosses and compare that height to the front and the rear rails, you wil find about 1/8" difference. Those covers were meant for aftermarket heads. All of the aftermarket heads I know of have flat valve cover rails.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 12:26 PM

What rocker shaft stands are you using? I had that same problem with my engine when I switched from DC valve covers to Moroso covers. The DC covers are a little taller and cleared the blocks that hold my shafts in place. The Moroso covers bottomed out on the top of the stands. No matter what I did I had a leak. Finally I took the end stands off and ground them off to the profile of the cover. Then they fit.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 05:47 PM

I never did get these valve covers to seal and finally just got rid of them. Told the guy that bought them from me the problems and he had the same problem. Heard he sold them for scrap aluminum.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 08:20 PM

Quote:

I use the cork gaskets, glued/RTVed to the valve covers. Let dry over night with weight on them. Then smear some grease on the gasket-to-head surface of the gasket and voila. NO leaks. And gasket can be re-used over and over again. Will not stick.

And as mentioned above, make sure the bolts aren't too long.

good luck
codfish

This is the ONLY method that works for me as well.

I tried all the fancy gaskets even the $50 Moroso's .
Posted By: fishy340

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 08:37 PM

the mopar thermostat housings all leak!!!use mr gasket for a gm its the same and no leaks,,or mancini sells the cnc one little pricey but no leaks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 09:55 PM

Quote:

Iron bb heads valve cover rails are not flat. They are not supposed to be. The threaded holes are not square to the surface, they are tipped toward the intake side of the engine on purpous, as are the bosses they are drilled into. I'm very supprized you were able to get bolts in at all. If you put a straight edge on the thread bosses and compare that height to the front and the rear rails, you wil find about 1/8" difference. Those covers were meant for aftermarket heads. All of the aftermarket heads I know of have flat valve cover rails.

THIS
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 10:49 PM

Cork gaskets All the local auto stores around here try to push the rubber ones but I have always had problems with them....

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 11:42 PM

The covers are clearing the rockers and everything, and the bolts are all the correct length. I may have to sell these covers and get some that are designed more for iron stock heads.
Last night I even bought the $38 Moroso's with the steel shim and the soft blue rubber and the passenger side still leaks.

The covers are not very flat but seem flat enough to work with a good gasket.

Does anyone know the part number for the thick cork gaskets? I've already tried the thin ones glued to the valve cover with grease on the head and it leaked, then I tried tightening it more and it cut the gasket in half.

I've raced for 23 years and have never had something this small keep my car down for a week, unbelievable.

Also, I need to find someone local with a belt sander to flatten these covers.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/29/11 11:58 PM

Well I have the same trouble with my car ..but the heads and the valve cover are the other way around.Eddy heads and old style cast alum valve covers. The angle of the new style heads and old style valve cover do not match.When you tighten the bolts down it pull them down wrong. I have try'ed everything and I come to realize that I need to buy a new style valve cover. so if you want to trade with some boot money let me know ! LOL I don't think my red ones would look good on your yellow car. they are power coated..but you could bast them and change the color..

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 12:16 AM

Vern I would just sell yours and buy the 440source covers, they are only $119 fully polished and you can use studs and nuts instead of these long bolts that are eventually gonna strip out the holes in the heads. I hate these covers. They look nice though.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 12:33 AM

I use yellow 3M adhesive to glue the gaskets to the covers...and I use no RTV at all.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

Also, I need to find someone local with a belt sander to flatten these covers.

It's hard to make a non-level surface level just with a belt sander. If you have a flat surface available like a butcher's block or thick piece of glass, tape large pieces of sandpaper to it and use the surface to sand the valve cover rail area down. I've done this on water necks and other items, it works much better than the belt sander.

I'll also go against the grain and mention I've had much better luck with rubber gaskets vs. cork, but that could just be operator error on my end.

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 02:18 AM

Has anybody found a part number for the thick cork gaskets? I can't seem to find any that say 'thick'. Flatout makes some that are .060 but that doesn't seem very thick.

Also, if I do have to buy new covers, which nice aluminum ones fit stock iron type heads? Is it just the $149 Mopar Performance ones.
Posted By: fastcoronet

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 02:32 AM

i have the same valve covers, and they would not seal no matter what i did. turn the valve cover over and put a straight edge on the rail where the welds were ground from the manufacture. you will see that the weld is still high and it is not letting the valve cover to seal along the center of the valve cover. I had to take a hand file and file the welds down to match the ends and the center of the valve cover. the center of the covers are a one piece formed alum. and the ends are another formed piece and where the two formed pieces were welded together along the rail is the problem. once i files this area they never leak again.

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/30/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

i have the same valve covers, and they would not seal no matter what i did. turn the valve cover over and put a straight edge on the rail where the welds were ground from the manufacture. you will see that the weld is still high and it is not letting the valve cover to seal along the center of the valve cover. I had to take a hand file and file the welds down to match the ends and the center of the valve cover. the center of the covers are a one piece formed alum. and the ends are another formed piece and where the two formed pieces were welded together along the rail is the problem. once i files this area they never leak again.

I noticed the same thing, I filed all the high spots and found 2 screws that were too long, thought for sure it was gonna seal this time but nope.

I might try to do some more filing tomorrow, I know it's not perfect.

By the way, who makes these covers and what do they cost?
Posted By: fastcoronet

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 08/31/11 02:45 AM

mine were by Summit and they cost around 250.00
I feel Summit stop selling them because of the non sealing problems. Once I got the welds flat I had to buy new bolts I went with Stainless. I have them on and off now for 6 years ateast.
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 09/01/11 02:21 AM

Gey the Magnum vc......worth every penny !

Dan
Posted By: ccarson

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 09/01/11 04:35 AM

I have the same ones they will seal if their flat, I set them up on the bridgeport and took a cut.
I also used the Moroso gaskets with the steel shim, those had to be modified to clear the pushrods on 59 Deg W9 Heads.
Posted By: Georg

Re: These valve covers WILL NOT seal - 09/01/11 12:39 PM

trie once Cometic gaskets and forget those oil leaks
© 2024 Moparts Forums