Moparts

Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up!

Posted By: cgall

Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 08:53 PM

Anyone else see this video, Warfish invited to a Ford race for a match race! Just like back in the AA/GS days (except the cars are 1 second faster).

http://youtu.be/2k0EA5F1shY
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:23 PM

what happened to the Ford?

=Daty
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:26 PM

A pulley broke.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:30 PM

They need to change the narrator's line...

Currently "Ford Racing.......We Race.......You Win.......

Should Be "Ford Racing.....We Race.....Mopars Win......

Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:45 PM

ford fail
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:56 PM

Aren't those brand spanking new, aerodynamic, Ford products.......boosted???

Should they not be racing something a tad closer for fairness sake??? An Avenger with a PSI screw blown HEMI perhaps.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 09:59 PM

Quote:

Aren't those brand spanking new, aerodynamic, Ford products.......boosted???

Should they not be racing something a tad closer for fairness sake??? An Avenger with a PSI screw blown HEMI perhaps.

you would think
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 10:03 PM

I'm guessing that wasn't quite what the show promoter had in mind...
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 11:06 PM

what class does the mustang run??? what does the mustang weight???
Posted By: MattW

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 11:08 PM

Quote:

Would it even be close?
JJ

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Would it even be close?
JJ

They're fast, but so are 4 bangers with boost in aero racecars.
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 11:21 PM

I think I seen it go 8.23 on you tube
Posted By: racerx

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/27/11 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Would it even be close?
JJ

They're fast, but so are 4 bangers with boost in aero racecars.

Thought i'v seen in another video it ran 9.50's
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 12:05 AM

Tasca went 8.48 today in the one pass I saw, he did run another. That's a liberty clutchless too. I believe he went a 8.28 yesterday but weather was better. DA today around 2800.
The mopar missile super stock challenger was there, didn't see it run. Very nice car.

To much Ford for my taste
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 12:17 AM

Quote:

Tasca went 8.48 today in the one pass I saw, he did run another. That's a liberty clutchless too. I believe he went a 8.28 yesterday but weather was better. DA today around 2800.
The mopar missile super stock challenger was there, didn't see it run. Very nice car.

Yeah, the Tasca car sheared the drive engagement right off the supercharger snout (internal to the blower). It was in the 8.20's yesterday. The fast 2012 CJ's have 4L displacement superchargers (option over the 2.3L blower) on top of a 5.4 4v motor. It sucks the AH cars aren't going to be the king of Super Stock anymore, but I don't think anybody is going to complain about a bunch of SS cars running low 8's. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the CJ's run in the 7's in good air this fall.

The Mopar Missle Challenger went 9.70's, and looks fantastic.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 01:47 AM

The AH cars don`t use blowers to go fast!
Posted By: cgall

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 03:37 AM

This was a match race, he has to run a specific diameter pulley in NHRA legal S/S.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

This was a match race, he has to run a specific diameter pulley in NHRA legal S/S.

So could CW run a "ringer" engine, say 604"?

Personally, I think NA versus boosted doesn't compare, even if both are factory race cars. It's apples to oranges.
BTW, what did CW run on that pass?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:48 AM

Quote:

The AH cars don`t use blowers to go fast!

True, but they are basically a Pro Stock car in a 1968 body.

The Cobra Jets will be the kings of SS/A and AA now.

Was just over on Classracer and Charlie himself posted that after Tasca broke he raced Randy Hopkins. Hopkins let off and went an 8:35 to Charlie's 8:43. The CJ's also went 168 MPH.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 06:41 AM

Hopkins car is 200lbs over weight to slow it down. That thing has a 7 second pass in it no doubt. When class for these cars starts paying 10K to win, the hand writing will be on the wall for the 43 year old HEMI class.

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WkkJ_WVAU

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:32 PM

I repeat, boosted 4 cylinders in swoopy new body styles run fast.

Big deal.

Run 7s in a 40+ year old billboard, N/A-iron heads....THEN ya got a little somethin'.

Until then...........YAWN.

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:43 PM

Quote:

Big deal.

Run 7s in a 40+ year old billboard, N/A-iron heads....THEN ya got a little somethin'.

You know the first time I read this I said COME ON IT GO A BLOWER! But the more I think of it Chrysler did the same thing in 68, purposely built drag cars to dominate.
They did for over 40 years.
It is now the time for Chrysler to set up and come out with something.

If they dont then all the hemi barracuda will be drag racing in nostalgic type events.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:45 PM

Quote:

Big deal.

Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 04:51 PM

Quote:

You know the first time I read this I said COME ON IT GO A BLOWER! But the more I think of it Chrysler did the same thing in 68, purposely built drag cars to dominate.

If they dont then all the hemi barracuda will be drag racing in nostalgic type events.

Exactly. Chrysler built cars to dominate drag racing in the 60's. It's not the 60's anymore. Right now the Stock/Super Stock Challengers aren't in the same leauge as the Mustangs- if they want to regain dominance it's time to slap a blower or a turbo on a 6.4 Hemi and sell it as a factory SS package, instead of the V10 with a powerglide. Don't knock Ford for building the CJ's and going faster, blame Chrysler for not being progressive and changing with the times. It's not like a supercharged pony car is a new concept.

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Chrysler built cars to dominate drag racing in the 60's. It's not the 60's anymore. Right now the Sitock/Super Stock Challengers aren't in the same leauge as the Mustangs- if they want to regain dominance it's time to slap a blower or a turbo on a 6.4 Hemi and sell it as a factory SS package, instead of the V10 with a powerglide. Don't knock Ford for building the CJ's and going faster, blame Chrysler for not being progressive and changing with the times. It's not like a supercharged pony car is a new concept.

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

Big deal.

I agree, and quite frankyly, factory or not, I don't find blown cars in any "stock" class to be very interesting, and certainly nothing to stack up against a NA car regardless of the brand, as mentioned, apples to oranges. For me it's NA to NA or nothing.

Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

Big deal.

end of story...

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

It's been many years since the '86 Hemi cars dominated anything but their own class. They are hard to make consistent, expensive to maintain, and even harder to bracket race in the eliminator, just like any top level class car.

The AH cars will always have their own class, they are in no danger of going away. Unfortunately, they will no longer be the showcase class, and in a class that thrives on ego feeding, that will be what makes them go away.

The big losers are the Vette and T-Bolt guys who worked their butts off to get into SS/AA. All they can do is wait until the CJ cars get hit enough they are out of AA. (And it will happen)

An SS car was in the 7's a few years ago, but I think Gallina was in SS/AS or something like that, so no one really cared.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Chrysler built cars to dominate drag racing in the 60's. It's not the 60's anymore. Right now the Sitock/Super Stock Challengers aren't in the same leauge as the Mustangs- if they want to regain dominance it's time to slap a blower or a turbo on a 6.4 Hemi and sell it as a factory SS package, instead of the V10 with a powerglide. Don't knock Ford for building the CJ's and going faster, blame Chrysler for not being progressive and changing with the times. It's not like a supercharged pony car is a new concept.

x2 well said.Were r not in the 60's anymore
Posted By: 383man

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Big deal.

I agree, and quite frankyly, factory or not, I don't find blown cars in any "stock" class to be very interesting, and certainly nothing to stack up against a NA car regardless of the brand, as mentioned, apples to oranges. For me it's NA to NA or nothing.

Ron
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 11:23 PM

FORD, Found On Racetrack Dead.

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 11:28 PM

I give Ford credit for these cars. I would love to see a screw blown 6.1 HEMI Challenger, but comparing these cars is apples to Count Chocula.

The screw HEMI in my street car went 1600+ on Barton's DTS at a measly 20# of boost, with carbs and gas. No big deal in this day and age. I get stinkin' chili dogs with it.

If an iron SS engine from the dawn of time, can push a 43+ year old barn door to low 8s, then a boosted SS car in a slippery shell should be a second quicker. Let me know when the Fords are running low 7s.

Power adders are fun especially when ya can't get it done N/A.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/28/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Big deal.

Ron

X3
I am thinking about the old classes, when a blower moved the car to a different class. Like the old gassers, and doesn't Bonneville do the same?
I think it's cool the new blown cars are fast. I just don't think they should compete heads up with NA cars.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/29/11 12:23 AM

How much do the Mustangs weight in SS trim?
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: Superstock Hemi vs. Cobrajet Heads Up! - 08/29/11 03:42 AM

i will say this those mustangs are bad a$$ and i give ford prop's for thinking outside the box.but they shuold be in a class of there own!!.how the heck is it fair to put a boosted car in the same class as a non boosted car?it's just nhra'sway of running off all the older cars.you ask why do they want to run off all the older car's?? money!!.they want never car's the younger croud can reconize and relate to.they are chasing the almighty dollar.

Attached picture 6800117-13041.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums