Moparts

Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT!

Posted By: JRod01

Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 10:00 PM

I'm having a serious problem getting the passenger side torsion bar to engage into the lower control arm on my Duster. I'll give a rundown of the specs and tell you what I've tried so far.

1973 Duster
CAP Auto Products Tubular K Member
Big Block Torsion Bars
TTI 2" Primary Headers on Indy EZ Heads
Biscuit style (1972?) motor mounts

I've tried repositioning the motor, shimming, adjusting the strut rod, moving the k member as far to the right as I could.

It's almost as if the motor cannot get get onto the k frame low enough for the torsion bar to bypass the header. I attached a few pictures and the absolute LAST thing I want to do is bend the header. Please, I'm honestly stuck and don't know what else to do/try. Thanks for your help MoPart-ers.

-JRod

(P.S.) I meant to post here first, my apologies.

Attached picture 6794873-1314305404753.jpg
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 10:41 PM

TTI usually posts measurements for engine location that must be correct for their headers to fit properly.....I would suspect it's the "Cap Auto" cross-member throwing the engine location off

Rickster
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 10:42 PM

I assume you have thought of this,,,but do you have the correct right and left torsion bar for the driver and passenger side ?
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 10:56 PM

however you end up...
be aware if the header tube rubs the t-bar..it makes very annoying sounds...and is irritating
chepast
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 11:15 PM

Quote:

I assume you have thought of this,,,but do you have the correct right and left torsion bar for the driver and passenger side ?

If I read it correct, i think he means that in order to get the torsion bar in the lca socket, it hits the header tube. Either the headers are not made for this app., or the k frame is not built exactly to factory specs and moved the lca mounting point slightly.

Can you take some measurements with a plumb bob to a level floor and compare to a stock car?
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/25/11 11:46 PM

Description is a bit vague... Are you not able to install the torsion bar because of header interferance? Are you trying to move the motor and K-frame to affect header position?

I've got a stock K-frame, TTI headers, and motor plate with good clearances so I too am wondering about the after market K-frame alignment.
Posted By: JRod01

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 12:00 AM

Yes it's the header that is causing the torsion bar not to fit. I lowered the motor as far as possible but am limited due to the rack and pinion and the milodon oil pan. However, I played around and lowered the transmission in the mount area (crossmemeber/tailshaft). I lowered it about a half inch. This allowed the torsion bar to engage but, now I would have to modify the crossmember by welding metal below the original hole for a new hole. With a level on the intake, this actually leveled the engine and let the passenger header collector clear the crossmember. Has anyone done anything like this before? I don't have to worry about pinion angle just yet as the differential hasn't been set nor have the spring perches been welded yet. Has this been done before that anyone knows of? Modifying the crossmember to lower the transmission mount? Thank you!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 01:07 AM

Quote:

Yes it's the header that is causing the torsion bar not to fit. I lowered the motor as far as possible but am limited due to the rack and pinion and the milodon oil pan. However, I played around and lowered the transmission in the mount area (crossmemeber/tailshaft). I lowered it about a half inch. This allowed the torsion bar to engage but, now I would have to modify the crossmember by welding metal below the original hole for a new hole. With a level on the intake, this actually leveled the engine and let the passenger header collector clear the crossmember. Has anyone done anything like this before? I don't have to worry about pinion angle just yet as the differential hasn't been set nor have the spring perches been welded yet. Has this been done before that anyone knows of? Modifying the crossmember to lower the transmission mount? Thank you!

Do you have a "Unisteer Rack & Pinion"? If so TTI states the 2" headers will not fit.

They only list: Alterkation & Magnumforce as aftermarket front ends that fit with the TTI's

I would suggest giving TTI a call if you haven't already

Rickster
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 01:35 AM

Wasn't CAP known for build quality/fitment issues? I remember something coming up about that a few years ago when I was looking at tubular k members....
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 01:35 AM

TTI Footnotes for 440 w/2.0 headers

TTI Tube Technologies
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 01:39 AM

does your engine have the stock offset? sounds like something is wrong if the header is also hitting the trans crossmember
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 01:46 AM

Heading should be HEADERS DON'T FIT, Don't blame it on the torsion bar, you might have to do as many of us have
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 02:28 AM

Yes,most of us have to modify things to fit. Its Hot Rodding.

Buy your pics wont lowering your tranny rear mount Reduce clearence from the header pipe vs the torsion bar. It looks like the torsion bar needs to move Up and Left to slide in.

Most of us do have to dent our headers + space things out for fit. If you dont want any dents you can also recut and reweld the offending pipe.

Fitment issues can require a stacked number of mods to get fit where you want it.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 02:48 AM

loosen up the motor mounts on both sides and see if you cant jockey the engine some! I know I can on my a body.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 02:49 AM

Quote:

TTI Footnotes for 440 w/2.0 headers

TTI Tube Technologies

TTI FOOTNOTE # 60

Tubular K-frame, Coil Over Suspensions:

Magnumforce Tubular K-member suspension.

Reilly Motorsports (RMS) AlterKtion suspension system.

TTI FOOTNOTE # 33

Unisteer Rack & Pinion: Headers will not clear the Unisteer Rack & Pinion.

TTi's 1-7/8" 383 Low-deck Headers (P/N: TTI383-178), are the only headers that will clear without modification.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Torsion Bar WILL NOT FIT! - 08/26/11 03:05 AM

Quote:

loosen up the motor mounts on both sides and see if you cant jockey the engine some! I know I can on my a body.

Thats a good tip. I do the same exact thing. Its good for a 1/4" or more of adjustment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums