Moparts

E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas..

Posted By: dartman366

E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 10:50 PM

Which fuel is the most cost effective and provides the most bang for the buck as far as horse power vs cost this is taking all things into concideration like carb's, fuel systems, maintenance, fuel cost and anything I may be forgetting.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 10:55 PM

E85....
Posted By: bumps440

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 10:56 PM

I started a post on this about 2 weeks ago.
Do A search on "Racing with E-85"
There is a lot of info in that thread. guyas here gave a wealth of info to me and its all there.
I will be racing with E-85 next year, thats how convinced I am.
search for it.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 11:11 PM

I run it, my dad runs it, my new motor is being built for it.....
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 11:50 PM

Alcohol is hard to beat!!! Its cheap you can buy it anywhere,your engine will run cooler.I'm almost sure it makes the most power of the three. And if you need a little extra boost VP M5 will give you that.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/24/11 11:57 PM

Quote:

Alcohol is hard to beat!!! Its cheap you can buy it anywhere,your engine will run cooler.I'm almost sure it makes the most power of the three. And if you need a little extra boost VP M5 will give you that.

Although you have to add in the cost of plugs (if you are wanting to read them each weekend) and oil every so many runs.

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Although you have to add in the cost of plugs (if you are wanting to read them each weekend) and oil every so many runs.

Ok this is what I am talking about....keep em' coming.
Posted By: steeldust

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 12:37 AM

I have run 110 & 112 & 114 gas and Alcohol i have not run E85 but for me Alcohol is the way to go i love it because it makes more power and runs cooler and i can get it any time and i change my oil after about 6 races i use brad penn oil it`s green oil and you can boil it in a turkey cooker three or for times before you have to get new oil this is best oil i have used but if you get your carb right and use a lean out valve i don`t have much Alcohol in my oil and let them at the track try to burn me down ha ha ha they can`t and the hot weather don`t hurt the ET as much so good luck

Attached picture 6793458-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: moparacer

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My car might be atypical for alky use but I think I could run a entire season on 1 oil change and plugs..

I been changing it every 50 passes and I it looks new.

All year on 1 set of plugs too. I don't run top lube so that might help in that department.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 01:03 AM

I got 950hp set up for e-85 and 12 gal of e-85 here. come get them and try it..
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 04:50 AM

We run alcohol, two cars with Flying Toilets on them. The our maintnence is no different than running gas. No extra plug changes, and oil is changed on the same frequency as when we ran gas. I don't see any negatives to running alcohol, unless winning rounds is a bad thing...

Curtis
Posted By: 2QUICK4U

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 05:08 AM

SEEING THIS IS ATOPIC ON FUELS, NOT TO HIJACK YOUR THREAD.HOW DO THEY ALL PERFORM AT A HIGHER ALTITUDE,SAY 6000 FT IN COLORADO.WHICH WOULD BE A BETTER WAY TO GO.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 01:42 PM

it's alky for me!
Posted By: 47hudson

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 01:57 PM

I have been running E-85 this year and love it. Super consistant, cheap, runs cooler, and you don't have to have a huge fuel system to deliver enough fuel, only about 20% more than gas. I spent $300.00 on a kit to convert my dominator carb and didn't change anything else. Still running a BG280 pump with -8 line to a dead head reg. I have had no issues and the car picked up atleast a 10th in the 1/8th mile! Check out raceone85.com

Attached picture 6794192-hhr2.jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 04:35 PM

I use a lot of heat to keep the oil clear on methanol, warm to 200+ before shut down and be sure and crank it with ignition on/fuel off to fire what drips out of the lines.
Plugs, once checked, I go to the hotest one and tune by that to stay a tad rich, then I only need to check one plug if I make a tuning change.
Oil pan heater, or similar warming device will save fuel. Methanol is definitely the most powerful of the three, having more torque in the lower rpm ranges. I believe the differance is e85 is 2 percent better than gas, methanol about 2 percent better than e85, M5 by VP is faster yet but costly!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 09:30 PM

I have run race gas, methanol, and E85 ethanol.
In many ways E85 is in between the other fuels:
- More torque than gas, not as much as methanol
- Runs cooler than gas, not as cool as methanol
- Uses more fuel than gas (~30%), but much less than methanol
- Changes ET less with weather than gas, but methanol may be slightly better. But all have been predictable for dial-in
- Less corrosive than methanol
- Less likely to milk the oil than methanol (but properly setup and operated is no problem with methanol)

The main reason I have been running E85 for 4 years is it saves money. Because you use so much methanol per run, the cost per run is higher than E85. And race gas is way, way more expensive than both, even though you burn less per run.
E85 was saving me $7 per day compared to methanol, and about $15 per day compared to race gas (110, forget 112 or 114 !) This year E85 is more expensive than previous years, but it still saves about $4/day compared to methanol.

A great fuel saver when running mechanical injection, is a pump gas primer/warm up system like Ron's "primer plus" http://killerrons.com

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/25/11 10:15 PM

thanks guys, interesting info,,I am thinking about switching for next year as my winter upgrade, I have a 8082 dominator 2 circuit that I can have converted to E85 or Alky so I don't mess with my gas carb which seems to be working great.....keep them coming
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 12:15 AM

I run Methanol. I like everything about it but the fumes.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 01:25 PM

Quote:

I run Methanol. I like everything about it but the fumes.

Ya but it kills the bugs!

Dartman, that is the best thing to do. Keep your tried and true gas carb and send the other out for conversion. I highly recommend George Rupert if you go alky.
Just to follow up on Jim's fuel consumption, he was using constant flow injection. Switching from gas carb to an alky carb you will use about 25% more on raceday.

My Dart runs 5.2x/8.2x and uses approx. 1gal for 1/8mile pass including all warmups, driving up and back, etc.
1/4mile uses approx. 1.5gal. With a Rupert 1250cfm.
Injection will double your fuel consumption.

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 02:30 PM

MegaDart you are right about the injection it does use a little more.

That was also some great advice on having someone who knows what they are doing set his carb. up.

M5 is $270.00 & M1 is $170.00 per drum,the M5 will not only boost you power but will bring tears to everyone eyes around your car.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 02:47 PM

I'm sticking with E85. I ran gas for years but after running E85 for few years now I'm not going back. I've torn down my engines after running gas and the valves and pistons would be covered with carbon build-up. On E85 everything still looks new, the oil stays cleaner and you never have to worry about the engine getting too HOT when double entered.

Racing gas around here is about $7 per gallon vs $3.15 for e85. I made a ton of 1/8 mile runs this past weekend double entered and averaged about 1/2 gallon per run for the weekend.

I always liked the smell of racing gas but I dont like how your clothes smell if you just walk in the trailer or garage. The fumes seem less obtrusive to me. The only down side I've found with E85 is cold starts. If its cool outside its takes forever to fire up for the 1st start of the day. I've learned by giving a couple shots of Starting Fluid it will take right off and save your starter.

One interesting thing I heard this weekend from a guy running Alky. He said he gets his Alky from the hospital. Says they use it to cool and clean imaging equipment. Apparently they'll sell it for around $70 or 80 per drum. Thats really cheap fuel.

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 03:17 PM

You can buy alcohol most anywhere,but there are 2 grades you want the 99.9% for your race-car.The lower grade is for industrial use,mostly for cleaning. I do not remember what percent it is,but the 99.9% is pure alcohol and that's the one you want.Most places sell both grades,I have been told the industrial grade is refined alcohol.
PS what the Hospital use's may not be the 99.9% if it is it will say it on the drum.
Posted By: 47hudson

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 06:38 PM

Either way you go just make sure your fuel supply is up to snuff. Both are going to require more fuel volume than gas.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/26/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

My Dart runs 5.2x/8.2x and uses approx. 1gal for 1/8mile pass including all warmups, driving up and back, etc.
1/4mile uses approx. 1.5gal. With a Rupert 1250cfm.
Injection will double your fuel consumption.

That is a good example.
Everyone's setup will differ.

I have gotten better at conserving fuel with my Ron's injection system. So it isn't double a carb, but often people will burn more injected than using a carb. From what I have seen, you burn as much driving in the pits as going down the track. But with a carb or leaning the injection (or the primer plus system), it cuts it way back.

I was burning 0.7 gal/run with race gas.
I was burning 1.5 gal/run with methanol. And 1 gallon warm-up for the beginning of the day.
I was burning 1.0 gal/run with E85.
But now I have it down better driving in the pits and at the last few 1/8 mile races (1/4 mile track and still a long drive in the pits), I am only burning 0.8 gal/run with E85.

My friend's 493 CID little 1980's Charger was recently switched to a borrowed alcohol carb and he is only burning less than 1.0 gal/run (1/8 mile). It runs 5.7/9.1
Posted By: cgall

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/27/11 08:12 PM

I have not done the math, but I am sticking with 110 race gas. I only make 50 passes a year. Besides, that E85 stuff smells like buttered popcorn, and makes me want to have a beer.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/27/11 08:34 PM

I switched over to E-85 for 2 reasons... ease of
getting the stuff(3 miles away) and the cost...
112 octane was 9.xx a gal VS 3.15 or so (and thats
up when I first changed over)... side binnies are that
it runs cooler and it didnt slow me down at all and
runs more consistent

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/28/11 10:52 PM

Hey Jim, love the new sig pic!!

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/29/11 12:05 AM

Hey MR P & 440 JIM will FRIDAY night i t.t my car with the new DOMINATOR that RUPERT made for my car 1st pass 6.07 at 117 2nd 6.05 at 117 3rd 6.04 at 117 4th 6.00 at 118 5th 6.00 at 118 looking good will for the race SATURDAY 6.05 at 118 2nd 6.04 at 118 3rd 6.02 at 118 i was thinking man that`s just right for the 1st round will BRAD said it`s cool down a lot it`s going to run will i said ok maybe a 6.01 or a 6.00 man was i wrong the car pull the wheels up i had a 0.24 R.T to his 0.89 R.T and i was gone about 50 or 60 feet from the line i let off and i lost i went 5.98 at 110 BRAD was right in good air the will go 5.80s maybe 5.70s like it is i am going to do some jetting an put some more weight in man that DOMINATOR is what my motor likes i was letting you all know how it`s running and it is useing about 3/4 a gallon with a small burn out and about 1 gallon with a big burn out.

Attached picture 6799755-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: Dabee

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/29/11 01:46 AM

Steeldust, are you going to Bristol next week end for the MOPAR race?

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/29/11 02:57 AM

Quote:

Steeldust, are you going to Bristol next week end for the MOPAR race?

I am going to try to but i went to 411 last week at their new heads up race and i raced Friday night and Saturday at the bounty at I-40 if i don`t go and race i will come Saturday and stay all day and see what is going on . Are you going? Hey 411 is having real good heads up racing ever month .

Attached picture 6800013-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: Dabee

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/29/11 01:32 PM

Quote:

I am going to try to but i went to 411 last week at their new heads up race and i raced Friday night and Saturday at the bounty at I-40 if i don`t go and race i will come Saturday and stay all day and see what is going on . Are you going? Hey 411 is having real good heads up racing ever month .

Yes, I am going all three days. I'm going to try to m ake it over to I-40 in Oct. Sept is booked up with family stuff.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: E85, Alcohol, Or Racing gas.. - 08/29/11 02:12 PM

Quote:

Hey MR P & 440 JIM will FRIDAY night i t.t my car with the new DOMINATOR that RUPERT made for my car 1st pass 6.07 at 117 2nd 6.05 at 117 3rd 6.04 at 117 4th 6.00 at 118 5th 6.00 at 118 looking good will for the race SATURDAY 6.05 at 118 2nd 6.04 at 118 3rd 6.02 at 118 i was thinking man that`s just right for the 1st round will BRAD said it`s cool down a lot it`s going to run will i said ok maybe a 6.01 or a 6.00 man was i wrong the car pull the wheels up i had a 0.24 R.T to his 0.89 R.T and i was gone about 50 or 60 feet from the line i let off and i lost i went 5.98 at 110 BRAD was right in good air the will go 5.80s maybe 5.70s like it is i am going to do some jetting an put some more weight in man that DOMINATOR is what my motor likes i was letting you all know how it`s running and it is useing about 3/4 a gallon with a small burn out and about 1 gallon with a big burn out.

I did some jet work on mine(1050 dom) and I found
that I need 2 jet sizes higher to run in the summer
heat... if I raced in the cooler weather I would
need 2 more sizes up
© 2024 Moparts Forums