Moparts

Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk ****UPDATE***

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk ****UPDATE*** - 08/21/11 05:57 AM

Scratch one 8-3/4. Pretty strange really, I raced all day with no issues (6 passes), then on the way home (My car is a Street / Strip - drive it there and drive it home ride) I'm pulling away from a stop-light under normal accelleration and as I shift into 2nd: BANG (followed by lots of ugly noise).

Ended up covering the last 6 miles home as shown below

I'm not too bummed, though. I just bought a new set of gears and was in the process of setting up a new rear-end because this one has been singing a howling song for some time. It feels like I broke a pinion, I'll know more later in the week when I have a chance to pull the chunk. I just hope it didn't take my SG unit with it, or damage my axles, as I need those. More to come on this.

Attached picture 6787794-Broke.JPG
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 06:08 AM

Sorry to hear that...great looking car...
Curtis
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 09:06 AM

The ring gear is usually the first to go. I broke a ring gear in my 10 second Duster one night, I could hear the chunka, chunka noise on the return road but it still made 4 more passes for the win and the track championship that night. lol.

You should be OK but if that's an automatic you really should take it apart and check the over running clutch. It will only take a paper and seal kit to check and they are cheap.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 12:39 PM

Quote:

You should be OK but if that's an automatic you really should take it apart and check the over running clutch.

Sorry to hear of the breakage.
I agree with checking the transmission sprag. It might be a 50/50 chance IMO.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 01:15 PM

Quote:

Scratch one 8-3/4. Pretty strange really, I raced all day with no issues (6 passes), then on the way home (My car is a Street / Strip - drive it there and drive it home ride) I'm pulling away from a stop-light under normal accelleration and as I shift into 2nd: BANG (followed by lots of ugly noise).

Ended up covering the last 6 miles home as shown below

I'm not too bummed, though. I just bought a new set of gears and was in the process of setting up a new rear-end because this one has been singing a howling song for some time. It feels like I broke a pinion, I'll know more later in the week when I have a chance to pull the chunk. I just hope it didn't take my SG unit with it, or damage my axles, as I need those. More to come on this.

Were you into 2nd... most times it doesnt hurt the
axles or the other stuff in there
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 01:22 PM

I broke two of them in the span of two years. Every time it broke it sheared the cross shafts for the spiders (Power Lok) which caused the spiders to break off teeth which ends up in the ring and pinion. Replaced the cross shafts, pinions, side gear and ring gear each time.

Didn't break while turning corners it actually "popped" right off the line. Usually went all the way down the track without problems but as soon as you turned off to the return road "snap, bang, clunk, pop..."
Posted By: 383man

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/21/11 03:43 PM

Bummer real sorry to hear that but glad the car is ok. I agree it is a good idea to check to tranny rear overrunning clutch. So how did the car run ? Ron

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/25/11 05:20 AM

Well, Autopsy revealed one spider gear sheered clean and another with about half the teeth broken off. Looks like the pieces then got out into the ring gear path, as two teeth are partially broken on it.

Looks like its time to call Dr. Diff.

Oh, and the car ran pretty good, Ron. Although it slowed a bit in the heat of the afternoon. No suprise, since I know I'm running a little on the rich side.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/25/11 06:15 AM

I agree with the other posters, if it's an Automatic inspect the sprag....

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/25/11 06:46 AM

okay guys.... Is there any way to verify the overrunning clutch (sprag) without Removing the tranny? I'd really rather not R&R the tranny. This happened at pretty low RPM, at partial throttle, with very little pressure on the trans or rear. Is there any typical conditions that would normally take the sprag out?

Posted By: moparpiff

Re: Good Day, then..... BANG, clunk clunk - 08/25/11 06:53 AM

If it the RPM goes up in first gear and the car does not move the sprag is bad. I have broke two sprags due to rears going. The on this spring would only move on its own power when put into 2nd gear. Of course mine are reverse pattern manual valve bodies that is why I reference 1st and 2nd gears.
© 2024 Moparts Forums