Moparts

Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ??

Posted By: HotRodDave

Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/20/11 06:20 PM

So I was thinking about building a 65 cuda into a bit of a rat rod with a spare 5.7 siting in the shop and the only intakes I could find are XV $600 so I checked the mopar one and it is running $1000 the only eddy one I can find is the dual quad one and then I am over budget buying 2 carbs instead of one Is there an eddy or any knock offs who are not looking to pay for the entire production operation off of one manifold sale? I mean come on... there are 5 different single 4 manifolds for the LS1 under $400 I can get an eddy for $265 from summit and a complete conversion kit with computer for the price of an XV bare manifold!!!

So much for my dream of being the first with a t-quad on a 5.7... the bastards at "MOPAR SUCKS PERFORMANCE FROM THER ENGINES" are makeing sure of that!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/20/11 09:03 PM

the prices are ubsurd. from indy you can buy a mod man with the eddie carbs and linkage for $1100. almost the same price as the drag pack intake. it really annoys me because i want the drag pack intake but i wont spend 1k on it.

with the mod man, it has bosses to hide the coils also
Posted By: MattW

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:06 AM

Quote:

So I was thinking about building a 65 cuda into a bit of a rat rod with a spare 5.7 siting in the shop and the only intakes I could find are XV $600 so I checked the mopar one and it is running $1000 the only eddy one I can find is the dual quad one and then I am over budget buying 2 carbs instead of one Is there an eddy or any knock offs who are not looking to pay for the entire production operation off of one manifold sale? I mean come on... there are 5 different single 4 manifolds for the LS1 under $400 I can get an eddy for $265 from summit and a complete conversion kit with computer for the price of an XV bare manifold!!!

So much for my dream of being the first with a t-quad on a 5.7... the bastards at "MOPAR SUCKS PERFORMANCE FROM THER ENGINES" are makeing sure of that!

Welcome to the world of LS.
What would be nice is the drag pack intake shorter and in plastic for 400.00. Hello Mopar!!!!!!!
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:17 AM

here we go again,stop whining and start buying and the prices will come down.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

Already started. 2 sets of heads and looking for a short block.But when you spend 1000.00 dollars on an intake that is cast your They have good prices on bare 6.1 block that is a 1000.00 but for an intake I will go custom before spending that amount.
If you think that if they sell 10000 intake the price will magically start to fall well then go ahead hold you breath.
They came out with the apache cylinder head that may sell 10000 sets.The heads are fully assembled for below 1000.00 a set. The manifold doesn't add up IMO.
Thanks for adding your opinion.
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:39 AM

MattW give up the details on the 6.1 block for 1000$. p# and what it inlcudes please!

justin
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:42 AM

the reason that prices will come down when people buy is pretty simple,if one company can get the stuff moving others will start tooling up thats where competition sets in. from what i read about the dragpack intake its worth the money,since it is capable of making power.
the thing i have learnt from moparts is that everyone wants to go fast but most dont want to pay the price:(

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:42 AM

Quote:

Zippy said mopar only sells 12 337 intakes a year and that intake cost $225

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:45 AM

Quote:

You could buy the Eddy and fab a plate to add the thermoboooog. Man I love those carbs.
Had about 50 of them 20 years ago and tossed them in the garbage.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:51 AM

Instead of complaining, there's market opportunity, make the investment and develop, manufacture & sell an affordable intake.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:54 AM

why not run EFI?

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 12:59 AM

Quote:

MattW give up the details on the 6.1 block for 1000$. p# and what it inlcudes please!

justin

Look at the hot deals section i gave the thread a bump.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Instead of complaining, there's market opportunity, make the investment and develop, manufacture & sell an affordable intake.

Love to but don't have the capital to invest.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

justin

Look at the hot deals section i gave the thread a bump.

thanks Matt

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

the reason that prices will come down when people buy is pretty simple,if one company can get the stuff moving others will start tooling up thats where competition sets in. from what i read about the dragpack intake its worth the money,since it is capable of making power.
the thing i have learnt from moparts is that everyone wants to go fast but most dont want to pay the price:(

I don't see that happening there no volume in sales for mopars.
IMO the intake works because it is a tunnel ram with a single carb straight shot to the piston.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Zippy said mopar only sells 12 337 intakes a year and that intake cost $225

This is why I don't understand the cost. The drag pack intake is not a marvel in engineering. It looks like the old Ramcharger intake and that intake looked like they used radiator hose to make it. LOL

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

my attempt

Attached picture 6787474-p7onhemi006.jpg

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my attempt

LOL If the runners line up use a block of wood. Plus you get the thermo break.LOL

I will be flowing the Apache heads in the near future same flow bench as before. Matt

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You could buy the Eddy and fab a plate to add the thermoboooog. Man I love those carbs.
Had about 50 of them 20 years ago and tossed them in the garbage.

The only eddy I can find is a dual quad without enough room for two thermoquads

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:42 AM

The sales volume thing is BS because eddy does make the dual quad one with a more complicated casting and less people are gonna use it than they would a single 4. I am not oposed to paying more than a chevy guy for similar parts but this is out in left field even for mopar. Heck even the mopar single 4 not drag-pak intake is $1000 that is FOUR times the price of the chevy one not just double even
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

The sales volume thing is BS because eddy does make the dual quad one with a more complicated casting and less people are gonna use it than they would a single 4. I am not oposed to paying more than a chevy guy for similar parts but this is out in left field even for mopar. Heck even the mopar single 4 not drag-pak intake is $1000 that is FOUR times the price of the chevy one not just double even

Well I guess you can get out your tig welder and make one

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my attempt

LOL If the runners line up use a block of wood. Plus you get the thermo break.LOL

I will be flowing the Apache heads in the near future same flow bench as before. Matt

close

Attached picture 6787587-p7onhemi002.jpg

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 06:48 AM

So aparently Indy makes one that is the cheapest, they call it a "Mod-Man" and it comes with removable tops to put whatever carb I want on it, any one ever use one of those? How do they do with fuel distribution at lower engine speeds on a stockish 5.7 engine?

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 01:21 PM

i have a PM sent to TR Waters asking if he has already has a design to adapt an early hemi intake to the GEN 3 engines. i believe he does and if so you can run this intake

Attached picture 6787928-50020.jpg

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my attempt

OK I'm confused, what intake is that for? P7?

Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 02:43 PM

Not to get into a "who copied whom" debate, these are the intakes my buddy had cast about 5 years ago. He is now making them with a carb top plate. And he was also the first with the tall cast valve covers.
The 2x4 piece is just something I had laying around, so I threw it on that intake.

Attached picture 6788007-HPIM0402_320x240.JPG

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 02:50 PM

Attached picture 6788012-HPIM0399_640x480.JPG

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 03:06 PM

The P7 intake is quite narrow, and would require a very thick adapter to make it work. Arrington used one on their first carb build. A SP2P intake is wider , but still not as wide as the 1st gen hemi.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 05:16 PM

SO that is interesting I guess it brings up the question how much is that dual plane intake? Who makes it? and how much are the red spacer thingies?

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 05:55 PM

The dual plane that Ray posted is from Hot Heads. It lists for $315.00. The problem is, there is no way to make spacers which would incorporate both the gen3 and gen1 bolt patterns. This is why I did mine like I did. One common bolt pattern. Unless you have your own milling machine and tig set-up, you will end up with the $600 or so that the XV intake would cost you.
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

The dual plane that Ray posted is from Hot Heads. It lists for $315.00. The problem is, there is no way to make spacers which would incorporate both the gen3 and gen1 bolt patterns. This is why I did mine like I did. One common bolt pattern. Unless you have your own milling machine and tig set-up, you will end up with the $600 or so that the XV intake would cost you.

Tom, I'm not a big fan of the XV for a N/A motor unless its built for RPM. Dyno'd a 5.7 truck intake, 6.1 SRT8 intake and the XV one day. The truck intake and 6.1 were pretty much neck n neck. The XV was such a pooch that the dyno operator asked me go into the room to check and make sure the throttle blade was opened up all the way.

Attached picture 6788275-08%20no2%20mods%201%20018.jpg

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 06:48 PM

Jerry,
Just an observation, but seems the gen3 hemi likes those long intake runners. I'll stick to my old stuff.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Jerry,
Just an observation, but seems the gen3 hemi likes those long intake runners. I'll stick to my old stuff.

Tom, Love your old stuff too. I never did do a back to back dyno with your Gen 3 Hemi intake spacers. All I know is that your custom 1/2" spacer increased the runner length by a 1/2". A 1/2" is the difference between OOOOH and AHAAA. lol
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Are those parts avaliable and for sale?
I really like the front cover with the dist.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 08:12 PM

Quote:

Jerry,

Easiest way to explain it is to flow an exhaust port with a generic header on it even with cold air the temp rise in the header a the first bend is remarkable. That why Dyno headers usually product more.
Truck intake and 6.1 are great for EFI but would run poor if the mixture had to go throught it. That is why the jiggle juice doesn't work so well with those intakes.
IMO a composite intake like the dragpack intake with different heights would work well.
the more i research this the more I am leaning to EFI.
U can pick an 09 to present composite intake from dodge for 214.00.

Matt

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/21/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are those parts avaliable and for sale?
I really like the front cover with the dist.

It was all just a personal experiment. Way too costly to produce.....or reproduce....just to say you have a distributor. Cheaper to buy an intake and carb, add the MSD ignition box and go.

I am not sure what my buddy is using for electronics in this car. It is a 671 BDS with EFI.

Attached picture 6788451-HPIM2555_320x240.JPG
Posted By: patrick

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/22/11 01:41 PM

Quote:

step up to the 1990's and run efi with the stock intake

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/22/11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

step up to the 1990's and run efi with the stock intake

that would require a wardrode change and i cant afford that!

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/22/11 11:54 PM

Still costs way more than a carb set up would, even the eddy with two carbs

I think I am gonna look into the mod-man intake, I am concerned with low speed fuel distribution but it looks to be the cheapest way
Posted By: patrick

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 01:50 PM

Quote:

I think I am gonna look into the mod-man intake, I am concerned with low speed fuel distribution but it looks to be the cheapest way

even taking into account the $800 spark computer for the distributorless ignition?
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

even taking into account the $800 spark computer for the distributorless ignition?

With EFI he is also going to need to upgrade the fuel system electric pump filter and etc.... that will add up fast too.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 04:31 PM

Summit has an MSD ignition controller for $475 and right now you can get a $40 rebate on that. For EFI you would have a hard time running the factory controller, it needs to comunicate with the instrument cluster and other crap, FAST makes a controller that is like $3000 XV control is about the same but comes with a complete kit. Either way I don't see it costing less than double the carb route.

I can't beleive what I said about the intakes, when Indy has the cheapest of something it must be a cold day in Hades (mopar land)
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 08:38 PM

Quote:

And for Joe Average, after you get all the engineering and manufacturing design all laid out, the cost vs projected sales volume adds up to...

$800. To break even.

Or you get it made in china, sell it for $500, and get complaints about chinese origin, or poor quality, probably both.

Never thought I'd say it, but when contemplating a new Hemi, I actually think 'just get a 360 Magnum'.

If I was serious about a carb'd 5.7, I'd start looking for V8 engines with the same port pattern (like we saw above), and see if there is one that could maybe fit with some simpler adapter plates. Unfortunately, those intakes won't really be cheap either, but if a simple set of CNC spacerplates does the trick, you'd be a hero.

How close is the 4.6/5.4 for port spacing???
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And that the EFI will make more power over a carb
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 09:13 PM

NO!!! Every 'should I go EFI' thread clearly states somewhere that carbs make more hp.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 09:24 PM

Quote:

NO!!! Every 'should I go EFI' thread clearly states somewhere that carbs make more hp.

Both properly tuned carb or efi are equa.
EFI has the advantage of easier start and less ring wash.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 09:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Both properly tuned carb or efi are equa.
EFI has the advantage of easier start and less ring wash.

I can actually squeeze out a few more ponies with a carb. Not much, just a few. Whats nice about EFI over a carb is you can use a remote start. lol

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? - 08/23/11 09:37 PM

Quote:

Summit has an MSD ignition controller for $475 and right now you can get a $40 rebate on that. For EFI you would have a hard time running the factory controller, it needs to comunicate with the instrument cluster and other crap, FAST makes a controller that is like $3000 XV control is about the same but comes with a complete kit. Either way I don't see it costing less than double the carb route.

I can't beleive what I said about the intakes, when Indy has the cheapest of something it must be a cold day in Hades (mopar land)

FAST now has an upgrade for their's that has adaptive learning capabilities. Like $50 and well worth it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums