Moparts

FIBER GLASS HOODS

Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 06:19 PM

My uncle needs to get a new 6-pack hood for his 68 RR. He wants a good quality hood and a 4" scoop.
What company do you guys prefer??
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 06:44 PM

nicest hoods I have ever seen is AAR by far
Posted By: Labratt

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 06:52 PM

I have their 18lb. "race weight" hood on my GTX,and it's VERRRY durable! Ask me how I know!

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 06:59 PM

Quote:

I have their 18lb. "race weight" hood on my GTX,and it's VERRRY durable! Ask me how I know!

THANKS Woody!!!!

Randy,do you have any pics of underneath the hood?? How much was it??

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 07:04 PM

Randy....Is your a 4" scoop??? Did you have to cut out the scoop openings or they come open??

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 07:34 PM

What about Unlimited???
Posted By: BloFish

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 07:43 PM

Aar
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 08:07 PM

Quote:

What about Unlimited???

RUN!!
Posted By: racerx

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 10:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What about Unlimited???

RUN!!

My unlimited is a hit and mis.

i like VFN
Posted By: Ari440

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 10:49 PM

VFN 5 .5 inchs tall on my old MAZ glass hood

cutted out the the old one and moulded the new one

Posted By: Ari440

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/19/11 10:50 PM

Posted By: steeldust

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 12:23 AM

I got a hood for my 1973 DUSTER from AAR and it was real nice and on my 1969 ROADRUNNER i did race i got all the fiber glass parts from UNLIMITED i got the hood & trunk & bumbers & fenders & doors from them and they was nice i liked the ROADRUNNER hood because it was taller by about 1 1/2 or 2 inches but the AAR hood is ok .Here`s a picture of my ROADRUNNER before i sold it. GOOD LUCK

Attached picture 6786194-Black_Roadrunner_jpeg2.jpg

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 12:28 AM

And here`s a picture of my DUSTER the HOOD came from AAR.

Attached picture 6786199-dsc3402a.jpg
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 12:49 AM

Mike, from what I have read on other threads asking about Unlimited, they are pretty much a crap shoot now. Like steeldust, I bought a 6 pak hood and both fenders from them for my sons Charger. The fit and finish were really nice. (We did buy them about 10 yrs. ago. Guess I either got lucky or their quality was better then. )

Tim

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Mike, from what I have read on other threads asking about Unlimited, they are pretty much a crap shoot now. Like steeldust, I bought a 6 pak hood and both fenders from them for my sons Charger. The fit and finish were really nice. (We did buy them about 10 yrs. ago. Guess I either got lucky or their quality was better then. )

Tim

I got my ROADRUNNER hood i think 1996 and got DUSTER hood in 2009 i been hearing good things about GLASSTEK

Attached picture 6786234-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 01:03 AM

I think any fiberglass is a crap shoot because let's face it, what is acceptable to one person is total trash to another. I bought all the 'glass for the Scamp from unlimited and it was OK, but it's race stuff, not reproduction restoration quality. I bought the 'glass for the Duster from VFN, again it was very good but not perfect. I think AAR probably has the best reputation but they are also the heaviest and most expensive so you have to decide what is important to you.

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 02:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys...I will pass it along to my uncle.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 02:45 AM

The 4" scoop may present a problem unles that's stock height (???)

When it comes to quality you only have 3 choices ... AAR, Glasstek or VFN.

The AAR is nice but their mold is buggered up so one corner needs work the moment you get it. If its a bolt-on then their underside is about the nicest. Their hood (top side) is about as close to stock as you'll get - with the center hump.

The Glasstek hood is top notch. The underside support is nice but resembles a stock hood as opposed to a scoop hood. The top side has no center hump so will not pass as stock to the trained eye.

The VFN is top notch. Again, the top side has no center hump. The underside support is adequate but probably lacks the strength of either of the above. One neat thing about the VFN is that the front lip above the grill is actually a lip - similar to stock. This means that the shape is a perfect match to stock. This is an area where most others fall short - instead of a sharp corner where the hood starts to go up over the headlight buckets many others are rounded off and look like crap to the trained eye.

At Carlisle I had my pick between the AAR and a VFN. I preferred and bought the VFN.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 03:05 AM

I had an AAR hood,deck lid front fenders,lower valance and both bumpers and everything was perfect except 1 bumper had some pin holes the rest was a scuff and shoot item.The guy that did the body work said it was the nicest fiberglass he ever seen.
And they are right here in Fl.

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 03:13 AM

My uncle like the bolt on hood with hood pins in the front.

Woody,my uncle is in Ct.
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: FIBER GLASS HOODS - 08/20/11 11:44 PM

I like the quality and fit of Glasstek products myself.
© 2024 Moparts Forums