Moparts

1/2 alum fuel line without a bender?

Posted By: toplescuda

1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 06:18 AM

bought a roll of 1/2 alum fuel line but my bender only goes up to 3/8
really wasnt looking to buy a bender for just one time use
ever use anything else like a small pulley or anything with any luck?
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 06:29 AM

Bent mine by hand.Just don't try a sharp bend
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 06:46 AM

Bent mine by hand and when I needed a descent bend, I put a length of extension cord inside w/lube, bent to desired shape and pulled out the cord. Chase each piece/section w/a good cleaner and compressed air and done.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 10:18 AM

Quote:

Bent mine by hand and when I needed a descent bend, I put a length of extension cord inside w/lube, bent to desired shape and pulled out the cord. Chase each piece/section w/a good cleaner and compressed air and done.

clever...I would have thought the extension cord would have got stuck in there as the ID of the line got smaller on the bend. Ever pull 25 pair phone cables out of an old conduit? lol I was doing chin-ups off it. LOL

I initially bought braided line to run from my cell, but I am slowly thinking I should run a hard line and that's good info.

Topless' idea of bending it around a v groove pulley would probably also work too though within reason. I know it can be done. I like the extension cord idea too though.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 11:27 AM

That cord deal sounds like a great idea.

I found years ago that the fittings is where the most money is spent. Braided line is so much easier and the line itself is not that expensive.

That is just a decision you have to make for yourself. But, you cannot run alluminum line outside the confines of the frame or inside the frame in the driveline area. I think on UNIBODY cars the rocker is considered part of your frame as long as it is complete. You may want to ask a NHRA tech guy to be sure.

Leon
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 12:35 PM

You can fill it with sand and it'll bend easy...fill
it and crimp over the ends then when done cut the ends
off and clean it
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 02:55 PM

I picked up something from a hardware store years ago that works. Its a set of external coils in different sizes (1/2, 3/8) that you slide over the fuel line to keep the line from crimping when bending by hand. Not perfect (the inside radius may still show some slight dimpling), but I did the 1/2 alum line on my car with it. I don't what they're called, but that's what they are.
Posted By: topside

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 03:02 PM

Bends pretty easily by hand, or for tight bends I use a length of coiled spring - some tubing-bending assortment I bought in the '70s.
I've done several cars with it, and what I like is it's light, doesn't abrade everything around it, & holds its shape (no sags). Earl's Auto-Fit fittings at the ends, never a leak. As a general rule, between the subframe ties and rocker is fine with NHRA. At the rear kickup I cross over and tuck it up at the top of the R/R frame rail. Use a short length of hose at connections that might vibrate (pump) or move (apron bulkhead/carb side).
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 03:06 PM

I did mine by hand and used a fat propane bottle to make a loop of 3-4 coils at the ends for future repairs.

v-groove pully works good also

i used a a couple diff size pvc pipe pieces to make smaller bend in the 1/2 alum line.

I ran alum from pump up towards the reg and then went back to braided line,so everything you see is braided and the supply and return line down the frame is alum line,i also used the foam insulation for the home a/c lines on the hard lines down the frame then straped them together and to the frame. very cheap and may help keep the fuel cool and alum for chaffing on the frame.

heres what the vent line looks like around the fatt propane bottle

Attached picture 6782292-fuelcellventtube.jpg

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

I did mine by hand and used a fat propane bottle to make a loop of 3-4 coils at the ends for future repairs.

v-groove pully works good also

i used a a couple diff size pvc pipe pieces to make smaller bend in the 1/2 alum line.

I ran alum from pump up towards the reg and then went back to braided line,so everything you see is braided and the supply and return line down the frame is alum line,i also used the foam insulation for the home a/c lines on the hard lines down the frame then straped them together and to the frame. very cheap and may help keep the fuel cool and alum for chaffing on the frame.

heres what the vent line looks like around the fatt propane bottle

I knew perfect looking coils like that couldnt have possibly been done with a tubing bender...there's another good tip.
I have 2 vents in my aeromotive stealth cell and I wante dto do this.
I may do it today as a matter of fact now that I got some good pointers.

So the aluminum bends that easy around te bottle?

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

That cord deal sounds like a great idea.

I found years ago that the fittings is where the most money is spent. Braided line is so much easier and the line itself is not that expensive.

That is just a decision you have to make for yourself. But, you cannot run alluminum line outside the confines of the frame or inside the frame in the driveline area. I think on UNIBODY cars the rocker is considered part of your frame as long as it is complete. You may want to ask a NHRA tech guy to be sure.

Leon

yeah man! I have a lot of money sitting here in fittings.
I didnt know that about the aluminum line in the driveline area.
That being the case, I guess, I'll make coils for my vents like scratch'n did out of aluminum and run my -10 and -8 returns in braided. I already have it, but depending on who you ask they say it's better to run a hard line.

But I'll check on rules...
Posted By: dOc !

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 07:12 PM

A little side-bar Q ... how does this alky blended fuel affect the alum line?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 07:22 PM

Quote:

I picked up something from a hardware store years ago that works. Its a set of external coils in different sizes (1/2, 3/8) that you slide over the fuel line to keep the line from crimping when bending by hand.

I have used that too. Just don't get crazy trying to bend too sharp.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 07:54 PM

Quote:

A little side-bar Q ... how does this alky blended fuel affect the alum line?

Very good point...

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 08:31 PM

or the inside of the alum fuel cell

its soft alum tubing,you do have to work it kinda slow but can be done by hand..i did have a buddy help hold the can.

I had the line all the way to the reg,flared both ends and used the flare nuts,then went back and cut it back down under the firewall and used a hardline comp fitting to braid line.

I was gonna poke the vent line down thru the bed to vent under it...but with short pipes I thought I best not and made that coil set up with a flare nut.

gonna get one of those mini cone breathers for it on the open end

ther is another coil on the return line under the truck below where the line comes up thru the bed.

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 09:15 PM

Quote:

or the inside of the alum fuel cell

its soft alum tubing,you do have to work it kinda slow but can be done by hand..i did have a buddy help hold the can.

I had the line all the way to the reg,flared both ends and used the flare nuts,then went back and cut it back down under the firewall and used a hardline comp fitting to braid line.

I was gonna poke the vent line down thru the bed to vent under it...but with short pipes I thought I best not and made that coil set up with a flare nut.

gonna get one of those mini cone breathers for it on the open end

ther is another coil on the return line under the truck below where the line comes up thru the bed.

Why the coil on the return line? Cooling? Service loop?
I am considering running my return line though one of those double-pass extruded heatsink coolers for that purpose.

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/17/11 09:50 PM

service more than anything,i used the foam a/c insulation to help keep it cool.

I am going to run a cool can up under the hood later on and just use ice to cool it just before the reg & carb.

i ran a 1/2 feed to the filter/pump with a 3/8 return and a restrictor in the line so it is not free flowing back to the cell.

from what I have read this will help the pump stay cool by moveing a lot of fuel for street duty.

just have to plumb it in the feed to the reg and pack with ice

Attached picture 6782812-fuelreg.jpg
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/18/11 04:42 AM

Scratch'n, that's fine for the street but it won't pass tech. There can't be any fuel components mounted on the firewall in line with the flywheel/converter area - I think it has to be 6" in front (or behind). They don't want brake lines run across the firewall (over top the bellhousing area), either. Not trying to nit-pick - just a heads up to anyone who is going to try to pass tech.

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/18/11 04:58 AM

Quote:

Scratch'n, that's fine for the street but it won't pass tech. There can't be any fuel components mounted on the firewall in line with the flywheel/converter area - I think it has to be 6" in front (or behind). They don't want brake lines run across the firewall (over top the bellhousing area), either. Not trying to nit-pick - just a heads up to anyone who is going to try to pass tech.

What about fuel line? Is there a requirement for what line to run and where it's to be put as it passes the flywheel area?

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/18/11 01:22 PM

Quote:

very good point

I am not going to the track with mine it is street/show duty only

I will be moveing it over to the inner fender when i plumb a cool can in.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/18/11 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What about fuel line? Is there a requirement for what line to run and where it's to be put as it passes the flywheel area?

You can run the fuel line across that area IF you
put the line in a steel tube... I forget what thickness
the steel has to be.... either 1/8 wall or 1/4"
BUT they wont pass with the regulator on the firewall...
must be 6" forward of it

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/18/11 04:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You can run the fuel line across that area IF you
put the line in a steel tube... I forget what thickness
the steel has to be.... either 1/8 wall or 1/4"
BUT they wont pass with the regulator on the firewall...
must be 6" forward of it

Thank You. Mine will be largely street driven, but I am going to the track occasionally too. I dont want to be told to take a hike when I have a lot of money in various SFI parts already.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: 1/2 alum fuel line without a bender? - 08/19/11 08:47 PM

well a water pump pulley is the smallest thing ihad that would not kink
dont know if would pass tech but its gonna get routed in same place the factory i took off was
except im not gonna try to route in the torsion bar crossmember like factory did
© 2024 Moparts Forums