Moparts

Oil filter inspection

Posted By: PolyDart

Oil filter inspection - 08/13/11 02:50 AM

Any recommendation on how to cut open an oil filter canister for inspection without contaminating the filter with shavings??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/13/11 03:03 AM

There are a bunch of different oil filter cutters out there You have to remember(or know ) how a oil filter works so you won't be worreid about the shavings from the cutter confusing you when you inspect them I cut the top off of the canister and then cut the element loose form the center core(both ends ) and then split it longways in the middle, unroll it and look very closely in all of the pleats as well as the rest of the filter Mopar oil pumps make the oil flow through the filter from the outside edges into the pleated paper and then exit into the center of the oil filter before being pump into the motor Most of the oil filter cutters I have seen and used are like a pipe cutter, very little debris from cutting the filter canister open Buy one and use it always on every oil filter change
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/13/11 03:16 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the info
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/13/11 03:21 AM

ALL filters inter on the outside and exit through the
center... reason why... more surface area to collect
the trash
EDIT
Best way is to get a filter cutting tool(Summit) and
like Cab said cut the one end off and lay it out flat
and eye ball it closely
Posted By: blracing

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/14/11 09:55 PM

i use a system 1 reusable filter. you take it apart, inspect it, clean it and reinstll it. it's the last filter you will ever buy! you can get it @ JEGS part #888-209-512561.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/14/11 10:15 PM

To the guys who cut apart your filters .... do you also have a magnet in the pan ? ...and how often do you drop-the-pan to inspect?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/14/11 10:45 PM

Quote:

i use a system 1 reusable filter. you take it apart, inspect it, clean it and reinstll it. it's the last filter you will ever buy! you can get it @ JEGS part #888-209-512561.

That's how it should be done.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Oil filter inspection - 08/14/11 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's how it should be done.

Doesn't JCW have one of these too ? ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums