Moparts

604 Predator motor on dyno Friday

Posted By: camastomcat

604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/03/11 10:47 PM

My 604 Predator motor is almost ready to go on the dyno. We are supposed to fire it up Friday. I'll try to post a U-Tube video after the session. Parts are World hemi block, GRP rods, 55mm cam tunnel, cnc proted heads, custom Billet Fab pan, valve covers, Titan wet sump oiling, Jessel lifters and belt drive, Callies 4.75 crankshaft, Marcella sheet metal tunnel ram, and other nice parts that cost more than I should have spent. I am going to run it on 2 carb and a single for dyno test. Steve Gill is building this combo for 200+ runs until rebuild and reliable fast bracket and T/D racing. This will be the highest end project I have ever attempted, but if it works, it will be worth it. I am posting it for real world ET numbers, built by a real world 10.5 racer, but it is by no means an all out motor. There is room for more HP, no matter what it dynos.

Attached picture 6761516-AspenDragster7-30-11.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/03/11 10:54 PM

What is the compression? Good luck!!
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/03/11 11:56 PM

In the few times that we have talked to Steve, it appears that you have made a great choice on having him on the build. As for some of the parts you chose .....lol just kidding!

It sounds like a very nice piece
Got any pics for us
Posted By: Get-X

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 12:00 AM

Sounds like a real nice piece. What's the target hp? I'm assuming 1200+. I'd be real interested to see what the difference will be between one and two carbs. Will the single be a custom made from Cubic or somebody? Also, are you going to pull the single with a lid change on the t/r or will it be a cast single manifold?
Posted By: wesw

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 12:51 AM

best part about it is it's trouble free. your dragster is going to fly with a predator motor in it. when we ck the valve setting it's dead on. i'm glad i bought my predator motor. it's not quite as big as yours but it gets the job done.
good luck with it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 01:02 AM

Good luck with it
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 02:02 AM

Sounds like a lot of good parts in there, very interested in the dyno results... good luck Friday!

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 02:15 AM

Quote:

In the few times that we have talked to Steve, it appears that you have made a great choice on having him on the build. As for some of the parts you chose .....lol just kidding!

Got any pics for us

I think the next time I build a motor, I'll use one of your blocks if you have an aluminum peice, but perhaps even a steel block. I just like the fixable part of the aluminum and the weight savings.

I hope to make over 1200 with 2 carbs and Steve said he would let me give his a try, and it's a big one, that's all I know.

I am trying the single on the S/M tunnel ram, and 2 on the cast tunnel ram.

I'm glad to hear you like you Predator, and bought it from Steve because he seems very knowledgable on real race results, not just theoretical results. I should know more by the end of the day Friday.

The pics I have are too large to load, but I should have some later.
Posted By: Eric

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 03:40 AM

My buddy runs 4.40's NA in the 1/8th with a 632" in his Mullis.....I'm thinking you will see similar results.....thats my dyno prediction
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 04:44 AM

Just a side note here. Tommy won the Mopar Nats. race at Woodburn two weeks ago, then came back for the 3 day big bucks race last weekend and won the first day's race. Good job dude, even if I gave you a hard time.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 05:18 AM

Tom cant wait to hear the results and see some pictures. You are making me want to step on it a bit and build a new bullet. Well that and this dang air. Thought I was pullin a boat last weekend at the PSCA race. Waiting to see what you get from your deal and to hear all the good details.

Oh yeah the fact he was winning races is no surprise the guy is good. Congrats on the race wins

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 12:30 PM

Thanks for the support guys, but I haven't even dynoed this deal yet and I want another one for a spare. And my B1 and Yancer deal is so consistant, it saves me when I make mistakes. Al, I should have this combo at MATS next year, if I don't have to work. And it took a tight package to beat Dick in the semis in Woodburn. Then he wouldn't stop trying to line up against me, sheesh! Talk about holding a grudge. I'll let you guys know when we get the numbers tomorrow, but I think I made the right choice. And Steve has been great to work with. If anyone here is thinking about a predator head package, or a whole motor purchase, he's the guy. He actually returns phione calls and works with a pain in the a$$ like me.

Attached picture 6762419-19-114-Tom-Debartolo.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 12:36 PM

Good luck!! Sounds like a screamer!
Posted By: supercomp

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 02:08 PM

That thing is going to be bad to the bone.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got any pics for us

I think the next time I build a motor, I'll use one of your blocks if you have an aluminum peice, but perhaps even a steel block. I just like the fixable part of the aluminum and the weight savings.

I hope to make over 1200 with 2 carbs and Steve said he would let me give his a try, and it's a big one, that's all I know.

I am trying the single on the S/M tunnel ram, and 2 on the cast tunnel ram.

I'm glad to hear you like you Predator, and bought it from Steve because he seems very knowledgable on real race results, not just theoretical results. I should know more by the end of the day Friday.

The pics I have are too large to load, but I should have some later.

Sounds great
Can we expect to see you at the Monster Mopar Event???
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 04:10 PM

Do you think you could hook us up with a Live Feed on the Dyno?
If you need a Test driver for the 1st couple of passes in the dragster. I would be happy to help you out.

Attached picture 6762727-mmp26.jpg.jpg
Posted By: DusterDj

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 04:14 PM

My the power Gods bless you will big numbers.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 05:00 PM

Good luck You will be very happy im sure
Posted By: RT540

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 05:40 PM

Favorite topic added, good luck
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 05:54 PM

good luck!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/04/11 06:24 PM

This will be interesting!
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/05/11 02:17 AM

Quote:

This will be interesting!

very much so. the dyno is just for breaking it in. in car numbers, and how many passes you get before a freshen up is what we want to know....good luck.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/05/11 05:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the dyno is just for breaking it in. in car numbers, and how many passes you get before a freshen up is what we want to know....good luck.

I think a lot of us want to know about this part...

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/05/11 11:47 AM

If this motor runs fast (high 6's in Las Vegas) and is near as reliable as my B1 stuff, I'll be happy. But the reliability factor is why I went with the Predator, and that there is room to make more HP if I decide to later. I almost went the PSO route but knew I would be limited bt the inline valve design later. I should know later today what the possibities are, but what it runs in the car that matters. I'm thinking the dyno is conserative from the numbers Steve has quoted on other builds. I also am going to start off only running one carb in the car initially. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know the HP numbers later today.

Attached picture 6763927-AspenDragster7-30-11.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/05/11 03:34 PM

While we are waiting on the Dyno reports from that Big O'll Mopar engine. Tease us with a little info. about the dragster it is going in if you have the time....hard-tail, 4-link,wheel-base,rear gear and tires.

GOOD LUCK on the dyno pull's today!!!!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 01:01 AM

Well, it's Fryday. Gonna' keep us in suspense much longer? Nice digger, by the way. I want one in a bad way. Retirement car, so to speak. Only with a LA. Sorta a starter for that 604.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 01:48 AM

The suspense is killing me.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 04:08 AM

OK, we flogged on it all day and finally got it started around 6. The guys were supposed to leave at 5. We just fired it and ran it a little, and they didn't like the way it was running, but by that time it was 7. I told them to come back and run it Monday, get it figured out, and get some numbers then. I did get some video of it running, but don't know how to post it. What I was promised was that there would be a U-Tube video before it's done and I will give everybody here the link. I also have some pic's but need to re-size them and it's 11 right now, so I'll try that tomorrow, but it sounded real nasty to me. I'm thinking it's gonna make some serious steam. More on Monday and pics when I can get them re-sized.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 04:18 AM

This is the way any project that will turn out WAY better than expected tends to go--So I would say that you are looking good. Keep positive 'cuz nothing else will help a damn bit. J.Rob

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 01:24 PM

OK somebody needs to tell me how to post multipule pics on here. I also have a video, and would like to post that. If you can guide my antiquated mind through it, I'll post it when I get to the airport.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 03:15 PM

Pic test

Attached picture 6765959-043(800x600).jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 03:16 PM

another

Attached picture 6765962-040(800x600).jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 03:21 PM

one more

Attached picture 6765970-039(800x600).jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 03:25 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to hear dyno results!!
Posted By: RT540

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 04:52 PM

Quote:

OK somebody needs to tell me how to post multipule pics on here. I also have a video, and would like to post that. If you can guide my antiquated mind through it, I'll post it when I get to the airport.

Multipule pics in the same post, is only possible if you have some where to host them, like a website server, there´s several places you can rent space, I have access to my company s space on a server.

Nice pics, and engine

Tom

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 05:29 PM

Wow, surprised how long the runners are on that manifold Compare to the manifold CFE made for my hemi...

I guess the fact that the hemi has a 9" deck has something to do with it and possibly the intended rpms for the different engines as well.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 06:34 PM

I thinkthe difference might be that you have the runners in your heads and it takes up the room between the combustion chamber, and my combustion is closer to the actual port.I would have gone the hemi route ifthey had a water blockthat could make 600+ inches. The RPMs or solid block aren't the way to go in a bracket motor IMO, but those hemi 99 heads are capable of more HP. I'll be looking to see what numbers yours produces.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 06:55 PM

Quote:

Wow, surprised how long the runners are on that manifold Compare to the manifold CFE made for my hemi...

I guess the fact that the hemi has a 9" deck has something to do with it and possibly the intended rpms for the different engines as well.

WOW Wheres the Block???

Those heads are awesome

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 07:17 PM

I think yours is the smarter way to go. Both will be reasonably close on hp, but yours will do it more reliably and for a lot more laps before needing the maintenance mine will need way earlier. I thought about having a billet block made as I won't be hot lapped where I will run it, but am too cheap to come off of the 10k for the block.

I can't wait to see what yours ends up doing on the pump both with the single and dual carbs. We're also putting together a 572" B1 engine with a Hogan s/m manifold, Fast XFI using two big Wilson throttle bodies and two dry fogger stages in a Spitzer car to run T/D and quick 8's locally. Curious to see how that plays out as well.

Anyways, got my fingers crossed for you on Monday and please keep us updated.
Posted By: B1Johnny

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 07:18 PM

hi Tom the motor looks great.i am sure it will put out some good numbers.Steves motor makes good power.todd goodwin makes a 5 inch bore space 99 hemi .he does truck pull motors 650 inches,and i think youcould go bigger .i think he gets 1100 per cubic inch.if i cant get in some top sportsman races ,i will set the motor up for spray. good luck with the dyno session .later johnny.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 10:21 PM

Rarely does a high end motor like that just spring to life and Bang there is 1200 HP! They are kinda like birthing babies. The beginning is kinda rough but the end result is pretty sweet. Good luck with your motor Tom.
Todd
Posted By: Leigh

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

one more

That's a thing of beauty.

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 11:49 PM

I have a few more

Attached picture 6766671-035(800x600).jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/06/11 11:51 PM

I'll try another

Attached picture 6766674-037(800x600).jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/07/11 12:02 AM

I'm gonna build 2 of these if this works out. I'm getting sweaty palms just thinking about the possibilities. I didn't want them to push the envelope if they weren't comfortable with how it sounded and these guys are pros,all of them. I know you build a top notch motor too, Todd. I just wanted the guy that raced and perfected the design to be the one to build it. I'm impressed with their passion for power. I like the B1 program too and with 2 stages, it will be a monster. If I could have fit a bottle in my car, I might only be doing one Predator. If you guys are out again from Australia to MATS, please stop by and say hello. It's always good to see you folks. I like what I see though, and Steve has promised me a second set of heads with the smaller port design. If I get the power I'm looking for with this deal, I'm buying them and slowly acumulating parts for another predator, but a wedge 572. I should know more Monday or Tuesday.

Attached picture 6766688-039(800x600).jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/07/11 01:19 AM

Let's see if this works. I You tubed it. Follow the link.

http://youtu.be/jjj4VNoZeqk
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/07/11 02:20 AM

Looks & sounds good Tom!!!

Attached picture 6766884-mikegeephotos-lake%20elsinore%20njba%202011-2169-X2.jpg

Re: 604 Predator motor on dyno Friday - 08/07/11 01:36 PM

Thanks Tony, I just hope it goes fast enough to qualify.
© 2024 Moparts Forums