Moparts

Colder Plugs?

Posted By: Viol8r

Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 05:55 AM

I pulled all the plugs this week and noticed, on 3 plugs, the tips of the insulator/porcelain were starting to flake off. Did not seem like a total plug failure but small flakes missing. Also did not see any specks from detonation. Am I wrong in thinking I may be running to hot of a plug? The base of the porcelain looks a bit lean but not too bad.

11:1 Stealth headed 440
EFI
Currently run an NGK BCPES-6 plug.

I have some NGK with a colder 7 range in the shop. Just wanted to verify that the plug heat range may be causing this.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 07:16 AM

Quote:

I pulled all the plugs this week and noticed, on 3 plugs, the tips of the insulator/porcelain were starting to flake off. Did not seem like a total plug failure but small flakes missing. Also did not see any specks from detonation. Am I wrong in thinking I may be running to hot of a plug? The base of the porcelain looks a bit lean but not too bad.

11:1 Stealth headed 440
EFI
Currently run an NGK BCPES-6 plug.

I have some NGK with a colder 7 range in the shop. Just wanted to verify that the plug heat range may be causing this.

thats a pretty hot plug most i know run a 8 or a 9
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 01:52 PM

I would put the -7s in.

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 03:31 PM

Quote:

I would put the -7s in.

Thanks, I will put the 7's in and check them. Maybe go to -8's if I still signs of them being too hot.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 04:32 PM

FWIW I run non-projected tip NGK 9s in my Stealth heads with 13:1.
Posted By: mopar_mark

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 06:25 PM

Saw this link the other day on "How to read Plugs' , thought it was quite handy
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 07:28 PM

Quote:

Saw this link the other day on "ow to red Plugs' , thought it was quite handy
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

I have read this before and it is good information. The ground strap has minimal color change and the porcelain is showing signs of damage/stress, so I think I am on the right track with the colder plug.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 07:41 PM

I run the ngk 7`s on the street and race wthe 8`s at 12.1 comp. and rpm heads.

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 08:44 PM

Quote:

I run the ngk 7`s on the street and race wthe 8`s at 12.1 comp. and rpm heads.

Thumper.....looking at your sig, you got thing movin' out! Nice job. Watched a street driven, all steel, all motor Nova run an 8.80(in the 1/4) last weekend....nuts.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Colder Plugs? - 08/02/11 10:41 PM

My car`s a turd by comparison but still a fun street car. I know of a few 8-second street cars but ALL of em run power adders so not as special to me as n/a stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums