Moparts

383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo

Posted By: 61 NYer Convt

383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 12:27 AM

Ok guys. Im new to turbo stuff. I know how they work but thats about it. Do you think twin turbos could be used on a 383 with the sonoramic dual quad cross ram? I just bought a 61 New Yorker 2 door hardtop that I was thinking on doing this to. I really want to use the sonoramic intake and I really want twin turbos. any advice would be awesome.
Posted By: 72sat

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 02:47 AM

it can be done,but it will require alot of plumming.check this site for know how. http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php
Posted By: furious70

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 03:28 PM

I don't know what the 61 front subframe looks like but it might not be that bad. You might be able to use the 62-65 B body rear dump logs flipped side to side to face forward, mount the turbos there, run the downpipe under all that, and run the cold side up and back to each carb. Would be cool looking for sure!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 06:21 PM

you can make anything work, it's just how deep are your pockets
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 06:46 PM

It would look great, but the turbos would over ride the somoramic effect of the manifold, not really worth the trouble. There is enought plumbing on a factory set up before adding any turbo. The control arm mount is near the front exhaust ports so not much hope of backwards manifolds fitting.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 07/28/11 07:15 PM

Quote:

It would look great, but the turbos would over ride the somoramic effect of the manifold, not really worth the trouble. There is enought plumbing on a factory set up before adding any turbo. The control arm mount is near the front exhaust ports so not much hope of backwards manifolds fitting.

what about rear mount turbos?
Posted By: jcc

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/20/11 12:00 AM

Quote:

but the turbos would over ride the somoramic effect of the manifold

"overide" or just the move tuning band? Please explain
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/20/11 03:13 AM

in 1960 andy granetelli ran two paxtons on a 413 long ram 300f. i think he went 176mph on the sand at daytona. if i remember correctly the same car went 190+mph at bonneville the following year. the power adder will negate the ram effect but the ram effect is actually a slight supercharging effect. anyhow, go for it!
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/20/11 03:48 PM

I think the trick with this set up would be synchronization. There is no common tract. The carb on the left could be seeing 5psi and the carb on the right could be seeing 15. Also, the left carb would be fed by the right turbo and vice/versa. Not things that can't be overcome, but something to think about. I think it would be a neat set up.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/20/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

I think the trick with this set up would be synchronization. There is no common tract. The carb on the left could be seeing 5psi and the carb on the right could be seeing 15. Also, the left carb would be fed by the right turbo and vice/versa. Not things that can't be overcome, but something to think about. I think it would be a neat set up.

the intakes were designed with a balance tube. if they're not deleted everything should work.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/21/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

the power adder will negate the ram effect

An explanation as to why would be enlightning, and of course that statement also means, I guess, no turbo cars have/need any intake tuned ports also, because it would negate the power adder?

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/21/11 01:28 AM

difference between pressure and vacuum

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/22/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

difference between pressure and vacuum

Well first, air fuel mixture inside an intake is never a complete vacum, it always has mass, it is also under most conditions moving, and the primary basis of the the long ram was using momentum of the above to extra pack the cylinder as the intake was closing. However there are a number of other variables, way over my head, regarding sonic pulses that also are the black magic of intake manifold design. They are both effected and tuned according to many variables, including cross section, surface roughness, geometry, wet or dry, fuel density, temperature, velocity, cam timing, compression, etc, etc. The main effected variable in turboing regarding ram manifold tuning would be a charge density increase, and maybe related varibale would be increase back pressure from the turbo, but I suspect that is more a cam timing variable. Therefore based on my simple explanation versus yours, I complelety disagree with your comment that a long ram intake "negates" the power adder.
Posted By: feets

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/22/11 03:57 PM

I think he meant that the power adder negates the benefit of the long ram.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/22/11 05:07 PM

Quote:

I think he meant that the power adder negates the benefit of the long ram.

I simply can't resist the temptation to use the hot button word here "irregardless" , it is still an incorrect conclusion. The long ram benefit still exists.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/23/11 04:35 PM

I think 'negate' is a very poor word here. The more appropriate word IMO is 'override'. The turbos will override any ram effect with their greater ability to create increased pressure.

Whether the turbos would have any effect on the intake pulsing when the intake tract is under vacuum would be a very interesting question however. It would be in the same list of questions as 'were the long rams tuned only at WOT or at partial load'
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/23/11 05:02 PM

I think it would depend on whether we were using blow-thru or draw-thru, also. What would happen when that pressure wave hits a closed valve, then reverses up the intake tract... right into a spinning rotor???

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/24/11 03:26 PM

That's going to happen in every engine though, right? It's just these manifolds were tuned for a specific range.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/24/11 04:03 PM

I ws merely thinking that in blow-thru the pressure wave hits the throttle blades first, but in a draw-thru the wave would hit a wildly-spinning rotor.

Since we're just talkign hypothetically (unless soemone actually builds one), I don't think we'll ever really know how well it works. No good test data, no control group. What might the placebo be?
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/25/11 10:58 AM

Quote:

I think 'negate' is a very poor word here. The more appropriate word IMO is 'override'. The turbos will override any ram effect with their greater ability to create increased pressure.

Based on what I know from turbocharging 2.2 and 2.5 engines I can assure you even at high boost pressures the runner tuning still impacts the engines operating range.

If anything it tends to magnify the effect.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/25/11 03:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Based on what I know from turbocharging 2.2 and 2.5 engines I can assure you even at high boost pressures the runner tuning still impacts the engines operating range.

If anything it tends to magnify the effect.

Would be interested in hearing more here, have you done custom intake work that revealed this? I have not so I can't disprove, but on the surface it would seem easy to make a turbine sizing choice that would completely override any tuning in the intake (i.e. stick a bigger turbine side on this theoretical engine we are using and the manifold may still produce a low rpm TQ bulge the bigger turbo is going to cause a mountain of TQ above that range)

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/25/11 06:29 PM

Quote:

completely override

And the previous use of the word "negate" is what is causing the confusion and derision here. An analogy here would be like saying replacing a 10 guage wire with a 2 gauge wire would "completely" reduce any wire resistance. It of course it would not, it would only reduce resistance. However the poster who has experience with turbo motors and tuning and was favorable in turbo manifold tuning results, and the across board fact that nearly every well designed turbo motor has a tuned/ram effect intake for its intended rpm range, I still stand behind my previous statements here.

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/26/11 03:31 AM

well, if you like to nitpick, the 2g wire, depending on the application, can reduce the resistance to a point of negligibility.

To use the non-word you chose , irregardless it would be very interesting to see actual testing results from this rather than the conjecture most of us have to offer. Tom Vaught over on TMF would be a good guy to ask about this, being a career boost engineer.
Posted By: dragula426

Re: 383 Sonoramic Twin Turbo - 08/29/11 03:57 AM

" irregardless it would be very interesting to see actual testing results from this rather than the conjecture most of us have to offer. "

i agree.... a friend of mine and myself are working on a similar build right now. keep us posted on your build.

Attached picture 6800144-belvturbo.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums