Moparts

yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto.

Posted By: turner

yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 10:24 AM

I had an issue with my car not idling and seemed to be out of tune, it was suggested here on Moparts that I take it to Jakes chassis dyno in Shelby Twp, and what an expereince it was.Right off the start we welded in a fuel to air bung and hooked it to the computer, it was determined that i was way too lean on my idle, had a fuel bowl gasket under my primary squirter making it dribble gas, and a vacuum leak. I had run multiple 11 teens with this tune beleive it or not, after all these fixes then we made our first pull. The Barracuda made 416rwhp w/397ft/lbs, 5 pulls later after jetting, recurving my distributer, and setting the timing from 42 degrees wich is what I had it at to 38 degrees, the car was making 437rwhp and 418ft/lbs. and idling like a new car with crisp throttle response. The motor is a stock stroke 440 w/edelbrock performers that have been cnc ported, 11.5 forged pistons, .570 Scotty Brown cam, 850 Holley w/proform body, pro-parts headers, team g intake and 93 octane pump gas......all said in the end the engine made about 605 flywheel HP,I took it home and went straight to the street, the car drives soo much better and idles great in heavy traffic and 90 degree heat....Thanks Jake for the great service, I am completely happy and consider that dyno session money well spent and a must for a new engine and its initial tuning....had I continued to run this car like it was set up I would have blown it up for sure. I now have the tune correct and looking forward to Mopars against the world at Ubly dragway August 6th weekend

Attached picture 6748837-moparts.JPG
Posted By: RickRoss

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 11:41 AM

Garys a good man
Posted By: Bubba

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 12:14 PM

Gary is top notch.. Not only in the Chassis Dyno area but car stuff in general.. You call him, he calls you back. You ask a question , he gives a truthfull answer.. I appreciate Gary.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 12:23 PM

Good to see you got it squared away
Posted By: 383man

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 04:15 PM

Nice #'s and nice looking Cuda. Ron
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 05:11 PM

That`s one of the best things I did and was rewarded w/my 9.98 et right after. Take it one step further now and install a wideband that way YOU are a rolling chassis dyno everytime you drive or race it.

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 05:16 PM

I am pleased with the numbers also, 605 flywheel HP, on 93 octane, stock stroke 440 with a full exhaust and an air cleaner....second motor Todd Fisher built for me, old motor lasted 600+ passes and was running fine when I turned it in for this new one

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

I am pleased with the numbers also, 605 flywheel HP, on 93 octane, stock stroke 440 with a full exhaust and an air cleaner....second motor Todd Fisher built for me, old motor lasted 600+ passes and was running fine when I turned it in for this new one

Where did you get 605 HP... was that engine on a dyno
(engine dyno)
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(engine dyno)

Just doing the math and calculating it out to an about!!!! Its close but not real acurate just gives you an idea. I still perfere what is at the rear tires cause that is what is real.

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(engine dyno)

Just doing the math and calculating it out to an about!!!! Its close but not real acurate just gives you an idea. I still perfere what is at the rear tires cause that is what is real.

True.... but dont you think thats alot of drive line
loss
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 06:39 PM

Agree with Mike, sure seems like a whole bunch of driveline loss to arrive at that??

What would my calculated flywheel HP be with 499.74 at the wheels on your dyno, Gary?

I never asked, 'cause like you said...we measured it at the wheels, so that's what we had.

Anyways congrats to the OP and thanks for the post

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 07:24 PM

Ok here is how we came up with the formula. We had acouple of motors that were dynoed then put into the cars and put on tha chasis dyno. A automatic with a race converter was anywhere from 25-28% loss a stick car was 18-20% loss. So I use them numbers and it comes out real close. Nothing writen in stone just a no. Two of the motors were done and dynoed by best machine and when put into the car came within those figures. Three motors I did and two came right on one was not even close(very efficient converter).Jake
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 07:33 PM

Yeah, I was guessing about 530 at the crank...~20% loss...ish.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 07:40 PM

437 hp @ 25% = 546 HP

437 hp % 30% = 568 HP

I wouldnt tell him he has 605 hp at the crank.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 07:41 PM

Good info, thanks

I just spent a few minutes with a calculator, the numbers look weird, so I'll take it as 'not etched in stone'.

You guys were great, will be back in the future
for sure.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 07:57 PM

Quote:

437 hp @ 25% = 546 HP

437 hp % 30% = 568 HP

I wouldnt tell him he has 605 hp at the crank.

I believe you have to do the multiplication from the other end (if it is a horsepower % loss).
For example: 25% of 582 = 437.
I think what you did was multiply 437 x 25% = 109.25 + 437 = 546.

I agree though...I don't know where 605 came from.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 08:24 PM

Your right 605 - 28% = 435.6 hp

But 605 does sound high for a build like that.

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 09:48 PM

I didnt think it sounded that high.....a 446" motor, w/11.5 lite forged pistons, cnc ported Edelbrocks, team G intake, w/ an approx 900cfm carb. 2" pro parts headers, reved to 6400 rpms.......I would expect 600hps and thats kinda what I was shooting for when I had it built.
Posted By: deaks

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/27/11 10:18 PM

I had mine on a chassis dyno, chip was set at 6300, made 460rwhp but graph was still climbing.
Mine is similar to yours but more comp.
440 .590 cam, 12.5.1 comp, cnc rpm's by Jeff, victor int 950 holley.
I have 6500 chip in now, turns 6500 in the lights, shift at 6200 approx.
Mick
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 12:10 AM

I have a 457 (451) that has a tunnel ram, two 9379 750cfm, 12:1, B1/BS heads, roller .670-268/272@.050, Richmond 5 speed, and it made 530RWHP 500RWTQ and I was guessing it made around 630-650 @ the Flywheel.

Posted By: Kiddart

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 12:29 AM

if you dont mind me asking what does something like this at jakes cost
Posted By: Dartin

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

if you dont mind me asking what does something like this at jakes cost

I'm kind of curious too. I'm not looking for some crazy number, just looking to see measurable gains/losses from any changes and a good baseline to tune from at the track.

Randy

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 01:24 AM

All their prices are listed on the web site www.JAKESAUTOMOTIVE.com, I paid for the dyno tuning session, they have different routes you can go, out of respect for the establishment I dont want to shoot you any prices on their services.
Posted By: deaks

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 09:02 AM

It was definitely good money spent on my part, not for the dyno numbers but as a tuning tool.
Mick

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 02:02 PM

How you do the math is say it has roughly 25% loss- rwhp divided by .75 = crank hp.(roughly) Let's say it made 600 hp at crank and it lost 25% then it would have made 450. 450div by .75 =600 That is how it was explained to me when I got the dyno. Now if I am figuring it wrong show me something dif. Lens motor thats in the car I drive made 997 hp at motor and on my dyno made 800. figure it out. It comes kind of close. He has a very tight converter so it shows just under 20%

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 02:12 PM

Jerry, it was realy nice to meet you and it was a joy to work on your car. It makes me feal good when I can take a car that would hardly run good enough to make it into the shop and now has great drivability. The added horse power is always good but when you can see and feel the resaults is even better. Hope you have blast with it, post the resaults at the track when you go it would interesting to see how your combo works now. Jake
Posted By: tboomer

Re: yesterdays dyno results from Jakes Auto. - 07/28/11 02:16 PM

Cool!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums