Moparts

big block VS small block

Posted By: w7smallblock

big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:03 AM

Lets say you build a 440 and a 360 both stock stroke to make the same horse power (500hp). Do you agree the 440 will make more torque given the larger stroke? Do you think with properly matched gear and converter for the engines in say a 3000lb car will run the same ET? If they do run the same ET does this mean the smallblock would recover in between gear changes quicker to make up for being down on torque. I am trying to end an argument, so your thoughts please.
Posted By: earthmover

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:07 AM

look out for the im gone lol mike
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:10 AM

The 440 will make a bunch more TQ no doubt about it. Lots of stuff can play into witch one will ET faster though. Would the 360 be allowed to weigh less? The fact is they do weigh significantly less and even if they are weighted to weigh the same you may be able to get the 360 to hook up better because you could put the extra weight over the rear wheels instead of over the front. On the other hand the 440 "should" have a broader flatter TQ band and recover better between gear changes, of course if they are both set up to take advantage of their own power band then 500 hp is 500 hp.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:11 AM

yes, yes, and yes due to gear

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:13 AM

If both cars were set up ideally than the 360 would make up for the lack of TQ by turning a higher RPM multiplied by a lower rear gear ratio and TQ at the wheels would be the same "in theory".
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:16 AM

WILL a "360" rev higher than a 440???

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:17 AM

Quote:

if you change the block and heads

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

if you change the block and heads

LOL.....HotRodDave says it will but I thought a 360 and a 440 would rev about the same.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:28 AM

Ive seen 7600 out of a stock stroke 360 with mildy ported iron heads and a .484MP cam. Bash away.

I dont think my 440 will go that high (okay okay, I know it wont)

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:45 AM

For a 440 and 360 to make the exact same HP the 360 will have to rev higher (I suppose you could come up with a really crappy built 440 that had to rev to the moon to muster up 500 HP) but in reality a reasonbly well built 440 will not have to rev as high as a 360 to make the same HP. HP ir pretty relative to the air and fuel burned in an engine and a 440 will suck in enough air for 500 hp at a lower RPM than the 360 can. With out some for of artificial power adder the 360 needs to suck in the same air as a 440 for them both to arrive at 500 hp, no way around that and the only way it can suck the same volume of air is fill it more times in the same time span.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 12:01 PM

It is all about average hp to the track. Do a poor job of transmission, gearing, or converter selection for either, the other will win.
The drive axles don't give a hoot what logo is on the valve cover, or their shape. Just what is coming in from the ring gear.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 12:19 PM

I do agree the 440 will make more hp and cost you about 1/3 a much to build. Takes a bunch of work to make 500hp w/ a 360. Not much on a 440.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 01:16 PM

With both making 500hp they both COULD have the same
torque but at different rpms... thats the math part...
here's a little reading for fun

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 03:57 PM

I have a different opinion based on what the weight of the vehicle is. The heavier the vehicle, the more torque required to move it. So, I would take the stock stroke 440 in a heavy vehicle and a stock stroke 360 in a lighter vehicle.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

I do agree the 440 will make more hp and cost you about 1/3 a much to build. Takes a bunch of work to make 500hp w/ a 360. Not much on a 440.

you keep saying its 1/3 price...please explain to us how to build a stock 440 and make 500hp,also if u dont mind explain why it would cost so much more for a sb!not tryin to be a wise guy here,,just curiouse cause the bb stuff seems to be the same price if not more
Posted By: joedust451

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

I have a different opinion based on what the weight of the vehicle is. The heavier the vehicle, the more torque required to move it. So, I would take the stock stroke 440 in a heavy vehicle and a stock stroke 360 in a lighter vehicle.

, Thats why a SB works better IMO in an A body & the BB works better in a B body, thats just my opion.

As for HP, I remember reading an article awhile back where they made around 650 HP with a stock stroke 360 & W9 heads, TR with BG carbs & a big ass roller cam, compression was around 13.1.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you keep saying its 1/3 price...please explain to us how to build a stock 440 and make 500hp,also if u dont mind explain why it would cost so much more for a sb!not tryin to be a wise guy here,,just curiouse cause the bb stuff seems to be the same price if not more

because you need to do MUCH more to a SB to get the numbers out of them. How hard is that to figure out? A stock stroke 10:1 440 w/ ported iron/Alum heads, 520ish hydo cam, headers, intake and a decent carb will get you close to 500hp. You won't need a ton of stall because you won't have to spin the pee out of it to get it rolling or tall gears.
Can that be done to a 360 and make 500hp...NO So if you are looking for 500hp and you have A. a 440 or B a 360 sitting on your shop floor which are you going to use?
You seem to be Mr. Smallblock so tell me what it takes to make 500hp in one.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:45 PM

you have no clue what ur talkin about,a good set of j or x heads,a machine shop that knows what its doin and 4" cast crank stroker kit..and u are the one with meth injection on ur BB BEAST? MY little sb pump gas will beat ur meth injected slug by 1/2 the track..THATS WHAT I KNOW ABOUT SB'S...all u say is alot more work!!! but u cant elaborate..u need more work to a stock 440 block cause there boat anchors weight wise
Posted By: dragram440

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

, Thats why a SB works better IMO in an A body & the BB works better in a B body, thats just my opion.

As for HP, I remember reading an article awhile back where they made around 650 HP with a stock stroke 360 & W9 heads, TR with BG carbs &
a big ass roller cam, compression was around 13.1.

And this same combination in a big block would make 750 +.
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 05:58 PM

Quote:

you have no clue what ur talkin about,a good set of j or x heads,a machine shop that knows what its doin and 4" cast crank stroker kit..and u are the one with meth injection on ur BB BEAST? MY little sb pump gas will beat ur meth injected slug by 1/2 the track..THATS WHAT I KNOW ABOUT SB'S...all u say is alot more work!!! but u cant elaborate..u need more work to a stock 440 block cause there boat anchors weight wise

what does any of your posts have to do with what the guy asked??? this is about the 3rd or 4th post where you get on a post to pound on your own chest bragging up your small block. how fast and cheep it is SO WHAT you have a fast small block wohoo

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:03 PM

well lookin at Andy f's book and seeing for myself for 30yrs it takes alot to get 750hp from either,,o yea my friends w9 nitrious motor at 11.1 comp make um 780 something hp on pumpgas NO METH INJECTION...PS i know big dogs make big hp with bb's but it takes exotic heads an after market block..or A 400 block cause 440's stink..etc etc..i just dont like when a guy with a 13 sec bb thinks he's god...i think he's stuck in the 70s with his logic
Posted By: furious70

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:05 PM

good grief, a 439" SDSS bullet is hardly what the OP is talking about

If the 440 and 360 both make 500hp the 360 is going to do it at a higher rpm. That higher peak tq might require a deeper gear than the 440, might not. But the increased rpm range of the 360 is also going to allow it to stay in lower trans gears longer if the same rear gears are used, making better use of the available torque multiplication.

This concept in reverse is why many people find that stockish 440's don't really run any quicker with 4.10's than they did with 3.23's.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what does any of your posts have to do with what the guy asked??? this is about the 3rd or 4th post where you get on a post to pound on your own chest bragging up your small block. how fast and cheep it is SO WHAT you have a fast small block wohoo

u can have a lane next to me also hemi472..lol

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:15 PM

you dont want that because my big block does out run your small block.and for you to know everting your engine builder races a big block

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

yeah stroker crank, machine work and what size cam? SB are fine but cost more to build per HP. I had a great running 340. Ported J heads, 1.6 roller rockers small 455 cam TTi headers, RPM intake 750 holley thing ran great, however same components in a 440 would have generated much much more power and probably been a second faster. I run meth so I can run pump gas. All it does is make the 93 "act" like 114. You call a 440 block a boat anchors...what's the 360? You don't need diddly to make a 9:1 440 run low 12's in a B-body or low 11's in an A-body. You can do it with stock iron heads and a smaller hydro cam. I can't imagine what you'd need to run low 12's in a b-body w/ a 340. I'm starting w/ a one hundred cubic head start.
What have you done to your SB? How much $$$ do you have in it? did you put it togther in your garage? what stall..gear? what that car weigh? what are you shifting at? Do you drive it to and from the track? apples to oranges. Should I go buy an a-body, step up my converter and gear toss on a single dominator and meet you?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 06:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

his small block is anything but cheap or small...he has 7 less cubic inches than I do and his car probaly weghs 1000lbs less. His car is super nice and runs like a MoFo, as I've stated anything can be made fast.
Fact is you're not going to make 500HP w/ a small block as easy or as cheap as a 440.
Posted By: ademon

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 07:55 PM

right this is why racing cars are grouped according to engine cid, weight. could you imagine the 1970 trams am cars with big heavy 440's 460's 454's in them trying to brake and turn, or in drag racing a 4,000 lbs charger with a stock 440 racing a stock 428scj 68 mustang, bottom line the 440 should win if the hp is the same, due to more torque but then again if both were in a 3,400 lbs duster i would think the lighter 360 with the lighter and less hp eating 904 would make for a close race, oh and i forgot the hi torque of the 440 might kill the 8 3/4 so it might need a heavy dana where the 360 will not kill the 8 3/4.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 08:13 PM

Both engines set up with optimum gearing they would run the same. Even in a heavy car the steeper gearing offsets the engines torque. Both engines will be slower in a B body. I have to admit though the 360 is gonna be more sensitive to slightly wrong tuning. For example my neighbor built a high horsepower 302 with afr 185 heads and a decent roller cam. Then he put street gears and converter in it and he can only muster a 13.40 quarter mile. With some 4.88s and higher stall he'd be mid 11s.

And yes 500 horsepower is gonna be easier with a big block. This pissing match you guys are having is retarded. Years ago the sb had the w2 and edelbrock heads not to mention the 4" crank for 300 bucks. Back then it would have been a good argument but since then edelbrock and 440 source have changed the fact that 440s were once expensive.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 08:52 PM

It's funny how really no body is answering his question. 440 vs 360 both having there stock stroke crankshaft. Both having the same hp. Both running the same weight 3000 lbs. He said match your gears and tq converter. 500 hp is just that 500 hp. the bigger stroke will get you out a little easier, hp is what pulls the same on top end. The converter should stay in your power band. So actually, it boils down to the chassis/drivetrain tuneup to see who is first at the finsh I would say. Drag coeficient could play a roll in it also. Maybe i'm wrong, but I do know it isnt about a body or 4 inch cranks or any of the other stuff he is asking for

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:01 PM

360 block,i'd go with 340 better and stronger..but any way i've posted this a few times,,4" crank,40 over bore,eddie heads not even touched,750 hp carb,4.30 gear 29" tire w a 3500 stall treemaster conv..motor made 504hp at 5800rpm and 546lb'S OF torque 418ci went 10.80's in a 3200 dart sport..cam was flat tapped bullit made it 255/255 @ 50 588 lift
Posted By: redruM

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:01 PM

Imo if everything was built ideally for either motor and weight being the same, a big block would out run a small block all day. Simply because it has more torque.

Also to add, if I had a w9 motor with a roller that was 13.1 and only made 650, Id burn that turd to the ground

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:04 PM

lol

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:23 PM

Quote:

Imo if everything was built ideally for either motor and weight being the same, a big block would out run a small block all day. Simply because it has more torque.

Also to add, if I had a w9 motor with a roller that was 13.1 and only made 650, Id burn that turd to the ground

I'm glad you arent around my turd
Posted By: redruM

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

They werent W9 heads but W2's.
Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:37 PM

Quote:

Ive seen 7600 out of a stock stroke 360 with mildy ported iron heads and a .484MP cam. Bash away.

haha, Ive had stock big blocks higher Chris! BUT, your not making any power revving it that high...

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd be willing to run you heads up with my turd

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

haha, Ive had stock big blocks higher Chris! BUT, your not making any power revving it that high...

that's just it no need to spin a BB that high.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

that's just it no need to spin a BB that high.

Your wrong... any engine can be made to run 10K rpm
and make power....maybe your talking stock.... I
was building a 514CI BB that would make power at 9K+

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

I disagree! Say the big block has 3.91 gears ideally because its gonna peak at 5600.
The 360 is gonna need say 4.88s ideally because it will peak about 6500. The 440 is gonna have a 3800 stall vs the 360s 4800. I think the torque will be equalized at the rear tires. And at this point what role does the rotating mass inside the engine play. Not to mention 100 less pounds of engine.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 09:59 PM

Quote:

360 block,i'd go with 340 better and stronger..but any way i've posted this a few times,,4" crank,40 over bore,eddie heads not even touched,750 hp carb,4.30 gear 29" tire w a 3500 stall treemaster conv..motor made 504hp at 5800rpm and 546lb'S OF torque 418ci went 10.80's in a 3200 dart sport..cam was flat tapped bullit made it 255/255 @ 50 588 lift

Your math is out a bit. 418 does not = 360.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 10:01 PM

You guys are debateing about nothing that this thread has to do with just

The fact is 500 hp IS 500 hp weather it is a BB or SB if the car is tuned to hook perfect and keep the engine in it's own power band one will not be faster than the other. The SB will make less TQ but will end up with a lower gear ratio and TQ at the wheel will be the same.

As for you guys and your peeing match, 500 hp is easy with either combo and costs about the same with either. A 1/2 decent port job on a X head or a 906 and similar priced cam intake headers carb... will make 500 hp. Machine work is the same and every component is going to be almost the same $$$. The SB will naturally turn more RPM to make the same HP but so what, matched with a 904 instead of a 727 the SB combo is going to be nearly 200lbs lighter. A 4 cylinder civic can make NA 500 hp and no TQ, they will just run super low gear ratios and turn the 500 hp into the same TQ as a 440 at the tires and the bottom line(the bottom of the tire) is what matters, it can still run as fast in a 3000# car but it just needs more gear to get the same TQ at the tire... of course a 500 hp honda is VERY much more expensive.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He said that he would go with a 340....340,.040 = 418"!!!!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He said that he would go with a 340....340,.040 = 418"!!!!!

whats a 40 over 340?.. 345?
Mike you forgot the 4" crank that was never installed at the factory. 4" crank = not stock anymore.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 11:04 PM

Question one-yes
Question two- yes
question three - maybe?
For number three, it is all about the most efficient way to get the most average hp to the track the full length of it.
Odds are the small block will have a narrower power band than the BB, and will have more flash and stall. So, it kinda doesn't matter. You build the converter and pick the gear ratios to make the power band you have work.
When you say both making 500 hp, I assume you also mean they will average the same hp over a wide enough range so that they will be competitive.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 11:07 PM

Oh yeah...340,.040 and a 4" crank = 418" Is that better???
Posted By: emarine01

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 11:35 PM

.... ..... ....You guys are funny

Re: big block VS small block - 07/19/11 11:42 PM

Quote:

Question one-yes
Question two- yes
question three - maybe?
For number three, it is all about the most efficient way to get the most average hp to the track the full length of it.
Odds are the small block will have a narrower power band than the BB, and will have more flash and stall. So, it kinda doesn't matter. You build the converter and pick the gear ratios to make the power band you have work.
When you say both making 500 hp, I assume you also mean they will average the same hp over a wide enough range so that they will be competitive.

so we now have 2 pages and 2 answers. so you all are say put steep gears in the small block to make up the difference in torque.but if you put all that gear in it to make up torque is it going to make it to the finish line in its power range?? to much gear and its going to slow down

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 12:26 AM

4.080 bore + 4" crank = 418 sorry i should have expained what 40 over meant a little better
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 12:55 AM

500 hp is 500 hp. if both cars are optimized, the small block car will go faster (less weight). the two engines will have different torque curves, because it will take a bigger and/or better head and cam for the 360 to make that number, not because of shorter stroke. torque is a factor of cubic inches more than anything else. the 360 won't need to make (and won't make) as much torque to make 500 hp, because it will be higher up in the rpm range. the cars being optimized will level the playing field. that's where the weight advantage will win the game for the small block, imo.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:09 AM

i told you the was coming everybody should have left when i did

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:15 AM

Quote:

500 hp is 500 hp. if both cars are optimized, the small block car will go faster (less weight). the two engines will have different torque curves, because it will take a bigger and/or better head and cam for the 360 to make that number, not because of shorter stroke. torque is a factor of cubic inches more than anything else. the 360 won't need to make (and won't make) as much torque to make 500 hp, because it will be higher up in the rpm range. the cars being optimized will level the playing field. that's where the weight advantage will win the game for the small block, imo.

they weigh the same

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:18 AM

Quote:

they weight the same?????

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they weigh the same

I was going to say that, but was wondering if he ment reciprocating weight
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:29 AM

Big block Mopar was designed in the mid 50's, small block LA was designed in late 60's so I guess there is more technology in a small block. If they are gonna make the same horse power then there would be more pride in a small block. I have race big and small block Mopar, but I use to make more money with a small block on the street races. I donīt street race anymore but I'm kind of hook on small blocks and believe me to make 500 horsepower it's less expensive to go small block.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:31 AM

I think that fat guys need big blocks and thin guys need small blocks, and when you put a fat guy in a small block you need a fatter wallet.... and that's all there is too it

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:39 AM

hp=torquexrpm/5252

Let's try to shed some light on this subject instead. A dynamometer only measures torque, which is only the ability to do work. Gearing is a way to gain mechanical advantage, so even a 1/4 horse motor can make 500ft lbs with low enough gearing. The rest is a math equation which is the amount of work in a time period(horsepower). So higher rpm torque peak= more horsepower. If I was wrong then those nascar engines would run like turds.
I don't really agree with the recovery thing. Say a 440 is shifting into second cause its done by 6k rpm. The 360 is still gonna be in 1st up to 7k rpm and only drops down to 5.5k on the shift, which the horsepower is all gonna come in the same due to the extra rpm. An optimum drag car only uses what 2k rpm of its powerband?
Can a 440 with 500 hp spin just as high? yes! But its torque drops off much faster at that level, therefore doing more harm then good.
Also Ive had a 500hp smallblock, a few of them. And I know I was definitely going just as quick as the big blocks at that level.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:45 AM

Quote:

I think that fat guys need big blocks and thin guys need small blocks, and when you put a fat guy in a small block you need a fatter wallet.... and that's all there is too it

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:45 AM

I will just say big block.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:54 AM

If you take the best factory 440 (sixpack) you should be able to get 500 with a cam and intake , rockers, headers.Throw in some cylinder head work too.. for laughs.

I can't see that happening with a 360. And if I'm right, there goes the budget deal. (which wasn't really in the original question)

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:00 AM

Quote:

If you take the best factory 440 (sixpack) you should be able to get 500 with a cam and intake , rockers, headers.Throw in some cylinder head work too.. for laughs.

I can't see that happening with a 360. And if I'm right, there goes the budget deal. (which wasn't really in the original question)

right Rem... a SB will not make 500 easier or cheaper than a 440. 360 vs 440..... 440 WIN

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

right Rem... a SB will not make 500 easier or cheaper than a 440. 360 vs 440..... 440 WIN

That's not what the OP is asking. Even though I agree.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lol U R right. I'm not real smart, but wouldn't the engine that got to 500hp and max torque get to the stripe 1st?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lol U R right. I'm not real smart, but wouldn't the engine that got to 500hp and max torque get to the stripe 1st?

Only with identical convertors.
Posted By: webemopes

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:41 AM

the original post asked if all things being equal, which one would be quicker.same 500 horsepower,same 3000 lbs,stock stroke.torque is what moves weight,not horsepower.the extra stroke of the 440 would make it quicker to move a 1/4 mi.i am a fan of both,but without getting in to better heads bigger cams and the such,a bigblock gives more bang for the buck.if you don`t mind a little more maintenance,then run a higer reving small block.if you want to build it and close the hood and lug the thing then do a bigblock.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:55 AM

Quote:

Lets say you build a 440 and a 360 both stock stroke to make the same horse power (500hp). Do you agree the 440 will make more torque given the larger stroke? Do you think with properly matched gear and converter for the engines in say a 3000lb car will run the same ET? If they do run the same ET does this mean the smallblock would recover in between gear changes quicker to make up for being down on torque. I am trying to end an argument, so your thoughts please.

The 440 will have the larger more average power band over the 360. Hands down in the above senario it would be the winner.

Further, any mopar SB stroked bigger then 3.379 is a BB IMO
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 02:58 AM

Quote:

Lets say you build a 440 and a 360 both stock stroke to make the same horse power (500hp). A.- Do you agree the 440 will make more torque given the larger stroke? B.- Do you think with properly matched gear and converter for the engines in say a 3000lb car will run the same ET? C.- If they do run the same ET does this mean the smallblock would recover in between gear changes quicker to make up for being down on torque. I am trying to end an argument, so your thoughts please.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

Wallace Racing - ET/MPH/HP Calculator Weight is as the car sits on the line: driver and gas in it.
Calculate ET and MPH from HP and Weight
Weight HP

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and HP of 500 is 10.58 seconds and MPH of 126.58 MPH.

It doesn't ask if it is a 360 or 440.. Guess What.. It Doesn't Care..

Chris..
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:04 AM

what would a 340 30/over factory 3.31 stroke be 344cubes?
3100 barracuda with driver.been 6.84 et @98mph 1/8 mile/ with otb eheads/rpm air gap/750 carb/258*/268*@50 roller cam/kb pistons/10.0 compression/power glide trans.Bring the big block on with = parts and watch what happens.

Attached picture 6737791-PB060177.JPG

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

look out for the im gone lol mike

I'm gonna join earthmover here.
Posted By: mshred

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:34 AM

Quote:

this

who could have ever thought that BB vs. SB discussion could turn out worse than kids fighting for candy on the playground?
Posted By: vttm

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

3100 barracuda with driver.been 6.84 et @98mph 1/8 mile/ with otb eheads/rpm air gap/750 carb/258*/268*@50 roller cam/kb pistons/10.0 compression/power glide trans.Bring the big block on with = parts and watch what happens.

I just pulled some time slips from june of 05 this was a very mild 440 build using the stock crank, stock rods,.030 over TRW pistons with 10.3 to 1 comp. with out of the box eddy heads and a mopar .590 solid flat tappet cam in a 69 valiant street car 3115 race weight set up for 1/4 went 6.739 @ 102.66 in 1/8. So there's a big block = parts so what would happen??

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:06 AM

Luckily for the big block guys we are talking about straight line acleration here because if we talk road racing there is no way to make a turn with a boat anchor in the front

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just pulled some time slips from june of 05 this was a very mild 440 build using the stock crank, stock rods,.030 over TRW pistons with 10.3 to 1 comp. with out of the box eddy heads and a mopar .590 solid flat tappet cam in a 69 valiant street car 3115 race weight set up for 1/4 went 6.739 @ 102.66 in 1/8. So there's a big block = parts so what would happen??

Thats a 727 VS a glide

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The glide slow the car down a tenth.plus a 750 carb setup lean 78/78 jets.Not to mention my .001 reaction time to your .100 bulb.I'll get thier first.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats a 727 VS a glide

68 dart stock stroke .030 440 pg eddy heads roller cam 6.32 @ 109 mph , april 2010 I have time slips, went to a 520 this yr

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats a 727 VS a glide

68 dart stock stroke .030 440 pg eddy heads roller cam 6.32 @ 109 mph , april 2010 I have time slips, went to a 520 this yr

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The glide slow the car down a tenth.plus a 750 carb setup lean 78/78 jets.Not to mention my .001 reaction time to your .100 bulb.I'll get thier first.

Probably so. Thats a very stout combo you have there.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Probably so. Thats a very stout combo you have there.

It's all Good as long as its MOPAR.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 04:54 AM

Quote:

Luckily for the big block guys we are talking about straight line acleration here because if we talk road racing there is no way to make a turn with a boat anchor in the front

Makes sense. The big block makes it a muscle car. Muscle cars weren't meant to go road racing.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 06:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hear that Mike, it was accidental that the 360 went that high, now it just sees 7k tops.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 06:09 AM

Thanks to the 5 or 6 people that actually answered the question. I agree with Chris's barracuda horse power is horse power which is derived from torque on a dyno. So 500hp runs the same in a 3000lb car no matter what CI it is. When you want to get to a certain ET any engine builder will tell you it takes X amount of horse power to get there. They do say it takes X amount of torque now do they.Now for the other 95% that posted back to fighting about big blocks and small blocks. Oh by the way my car can beat your car and I could beat you at arm wrestling and my dad can beat up your dad.
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 12:38 PM

I agree 5oo hp is 5oo hp. But my opinion is, that if both cars are same hp, at same weight, and properly geared with all the right parts in all the right places, they should be very close the same ET. Because the small block will have a more aggressive cam and wider rpm ramge to make 5oo hp, and also use a steeper converter. But because of the wider torque range, the big block "should" 60 ft better, and the small block "should" mph better, so I think it will equal out. My

Quote:

Oh by the way my car can beat your car and I could beat you at arm wrestling and my dad can beat up your dad.

1. I'll race ya! spot me to the 60 ft, my car is heavier with the trans hanging in it,
2. I'll arm wrestle you! spot me 45* and let me use two arms,
3. My Dads car has a WEDGE with a TORQUEFLITE, what's your Dads got?

later Buddy
and btw, who is arguing with you?

Attached picture 6738185-6262274-Wahmbulance.jpg
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:18 PM

Quote:

I'll take the engine that makes the 500hp at the higher rpm and hangs on better after peak.

I will gear and converter that engine accordingly and take my chances. You can keep the low rpm torque.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 01:38 PM

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:36 PM

if they are the same weight (which i don't think was mentioned by the op), they'll run real close. real close.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 03:39 PM

Quote:

if they are the same weight (which i don't think was mentioned by the op), they'll run real close. real close.

i saw the 3000 #. oops.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 08:00 PM

Perhaps we should take a look at the guys that are wringing every little bit out of the stock combos. Stock eliminator. Who is the fastest 340 or 360 in stock eliminator? Who is the fastest big block (non factory racecar) running in stock eliminator? I honestly dont know but it would be a decent indicator. Especially since the big block cars SHOULD weigh more. Just a thought.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 08:39 PM

They BOTH have to make 500 HP AND weigh 3000 lbs.

Looks like the original poster isn't going to settle
any argument and started one here.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 09:14 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of POT STIRRERS on this site.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 10:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to throw a cow chip in this thread and leave it alone, before !! How come
so many GOOD POINTS were produced in THIS thread, and not too many on the "383 vs. 440" thread? Hmm, basically the concept is the SAME, with the EXCEPTION of the vehicle weight.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 11:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to throw a cow chip in this thread and leave it alone, before !! How come
so many GOOD POINTS were produced in THIS thread, and not too many on the "383 vs. 440" thread? Hmm, basically the concept is the SAME, with the EXCEPTION of the vehicle weight.

Humm...... Cow Chip..... ..... How high do you turn your cow ....... .......

Re: big block VS small block - 07/20/11 11:30 PM

Quote:

I agree with Chris's barracuda horse power is horse power which is derived from torque on a dyno. So 500hp runs the same in a 3000lb car no matter what CI it is. :

Technically this is correct, The Dyno doesnt know the CI size of the motor while measuring the torque to get the Calculated 500 HP.

Both torque readings will be variably different and at different RPMs to get the 500 HP.

These cars arent raced down the track @ exactly 500 HP. They usually run in a rpm band with of about 1000 to 1500 Its in that dwell time that the 500 HP BB will have the advantage over the 500 HP SB

As the SB will have a more Peaky powerband vs the BB broader powerband. The longer stroke of the BB will have more torque then the SB,

So IMO, even though Both motors will produce 500HP, its the power under the curve in the combos powerband thats going to have more effect on ET then just the Peak 500HP

Now you might argue that if Both cars are run down the track with verts Right at their HP peaks,start to finsh, the BB say at 6250 rpm and the SB at 6850 rpm. Then would they be Equal?

Technically , they should be, but lets not forget the 500HP is still a Calculated number based off of two different RPMs

The reality of the comparison on paper looks good, but the reality of the track is different.IMO

It would be a fun test though, but in reality could we really trust the calculated numbers to be accurate. Heck around here we have dynos that are 100 HP off from one another sometimes.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As high as it can go, without it letting loose all over you.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:58 AM

I guess this will never be settled so my argument with my buddies will just go on. But it dosen't matter he knows deep down inside that he's wrong and I'm right

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 03:02 AM

Chris..
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:55 AM

Quote:

I guess this will never be settled so my argument with my buddies will just go on. But it dosen't matter he knows deep down inside that he's wrong and I'm right

If you take a car with a 500 hp 360 and take it to the track it'll run a number. Now, if you take that same car, pull the 360, stuff a 500 hp 440 in it and take it back to the track (traction not being an issue), it will go faster.
I had a 408" (I know that's not a 360) small block, 11.2:1 cr, 270 cfm eddie heads, torker II intake, cam was 231/237, .560 lift on a 108. Based on others' builds, I would say it was pushing 475-485 hp. The cheap POS eagle cast crank broke after 6000 miles (rated to 500 hp and 7000 rpm!!) ((my own fault, shoulda known better)) so I built a 440. Stock crank, stock rods, KB flat tops, ported 452 heads that were also in the 270 range on the intakes. Don't know what the compression is (don't care, it runs on pump 87 at 5500 ft) 228/236 cam (TQ50), less lift 110 lobe sep. Torker II intake and I dynoed this one. 485 hp, 507 tq. Everything else was the same. Truck is faster with the BB. Same 750 carb as well. 440 needs more timing, sounds pretty good, 408 had a wicked exhaust note with that compression and a little more overlap.
My point being, car being the same, the 440 will start pulling harder, sooner due to the extra cubic inches, no so much because of the longer stroke, which is only .160" longer. Start changing the car to favor each specific engine and the results may be different.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:08 AM

Which one weighs more..

A: 1 pound of Lead...

B: 1 pound of feathers...

Maybe that will help..

Has nothing to do with "Big or Small" blocks..

Chris...

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:26 AM

Quote:

Which one weighs more..

Maybe that will help..

Chris...

Heres my comparison analogy

Witch one hits the ground first.., from a 1320' drop!

A: 1 pound of lead..

B: 1 pound of feathers..

Mike

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which one weighs more..

Maybe that will help..

Chris...

Mike

WELL, if the pound of feathers is in the shape of a parachute...

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:31 AM

If you take a car with a 500 hp 360 and take it to the track it'll run a number. Now, if you take that same car, pull the 360, stuff a 500 hp 440 in it and take it back to the track (traction not being an issue), it will go faster.
I had a 408" (I know that's not a 360) small block, 11.2:1 cr, 270 cfm eddie heads, torker II intake, cam was 231/237, .560 lift on a 108. Based on others' builds, I would say it was pushing 475-485 hp. The cheap POS eagle cast crank broke after 6000 miles (rated to 500 hp and 7000 rpm!!) ((my own fault, shoulda known better)) so I built a 440. Stock crank, stock rods, KB flat tops, ported 452 heads that were also in the 270 range on the intakes. Don't know what the compression is (don't care, it runs on pump 87 at 5500 ft) 228/236 cam (TQ50), less lift 110 lobe sep. Torker II intake and I dynoed this one. 485 hp, 507 tq. Everything else was the same. Truck is faster with the BB. Same 750 carb as well. 440 needs more timing, sounds pretty good, 408 had a wicked exhaust note with that compression and a little more overlap.
My point being, car being the same, the 440 will start pulling harder, sooner due to the extra cubic inches, no so much because of the longer stroke, which is only .160" longer. Start changing the car to favor each specific engine and the results may be different.

You need to go back and reread my post it says 500hp each with converter and gears to match the motors rpm range. You put a 440 where you had a 408. You also said you never dynoed the 408 but did the 440 so this tells me you got everything out of the 440 being dyno tuned and the 408 was not to it's full potential. Correct me if my statement is not true.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:20 AM

ok since you guys want to fight about big and small block lets try this.

lets say you have a 360 with 500 hp and 200 foot pounds of torque and you put in a 4 inch crank and now it still has 500 hp but now it has 400 foot pounds of torque. you are saying it will run the same?? same 3000 pound car.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:35 AM

231/237 cam in that 408 and 480ish HP ??? sounds more like maybe a 430hp engine

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 01:14 PM

Quote:

You need to go back and reread my post it says 500hp each with converter and gears to match the motors rpm range. You put a 440 where you had a 408. You also said you never dynoed the 408 but did the 440 so this tells me you got everything out of the 440 being dyno tuned and the 408 was not to it's full potential. Correct me if my statement is not true.

440 would win. Longer power band, better torque and you don't need no stinking stroker crank, high stall or much gear to do it. The 440 will launch better, pull harder and et better.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Which one weighs more..

Maybe that will help..

Chris...

Mike

As long as they are in a vacuum they will hit then ground at the same time..

Now, if you put each into identical containers, then they would also hit at then same time.
Even if they didn't weigh they same, everything falls at the same speed. Air resistance makes the difference.

Just like most of this thread..

But I do "get it"

Chris..

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 01:41 PM

Quote:

440 would win. Longer power band, better torque and you don't need no stinking stroker crank, high stall or much gear to do it. The 440 will launch better, pull harder and et better.

I completely disagree.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 01:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I completely disagree.

Maybe because you drive an A-body If not then everybody would be building a high HP 383...I mean you can really spin them right?
which would be more consistant?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I completely disagree.

Maybe because you drive an A-body If not then everybody would be building a high HP 383...I mean you can really spin them right?
which would be more consistant?

Why would it be any less consistant... just because
of high RPM..... NOT

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:01 PM

If the SAME HP, at the SAME weight, the engine that has the higher USEABLE rpm can be geared to accelerate quicker and stalled to leave higher, with more average HP during the run on fallback and recovery. A MECHANICAL advantage.

This is the vehicle I'd bet on. Does anyone here think a SS/AH engine actually makes peak power at almost 10,000rpm??? That's where the killers cross at. Now ask yourself why.

You can keep the torque numbers at down low and open a nice taxi company.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:04 PM

I would think it would be more "peaky". since the power band is smaller... hit the shift early or late would have more of an impact on your et than a slow steady 440...but that's just a guess. I had a nice 383 dart that ran low 12's. I know if I hit the shifter at 6500 instead of 6800 the car went slower. Seems the 440's I've had have been more forgiving. But as usual I could be worng,

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:17 PM

Hypothetical....

Engine A, makes 500hp @ 6000 and drops 50hp by 7000, w/380tq @ 3800.

Engine B, makes 500hp @ 5200 and drops 80hp by 5900, w/450tq @ 3200.

If geared, convertered and shifted correctly, with traction NOT a factor, in the same style and weight car........who wins???
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:19 PM

I agree with those in the post that feel, everything else equal, the one with more rpm capability will win.
The more power pulses the better.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:25 PM

Quote:

Hypothetical....

If geared, convertered and shifted correctly, with traction NOT a factor, in the same style and weight car........who wins???

those #'s can be flip flopped. Engine A might not make any power until 5400, while engine B has been pulling since 2800???

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hypothetical....

those #'s can be flip flopped. Engine A might not make any power until 5400, while engine B has been pulling since 2800???

That's what gears and converters are for.....

At "5400" to 7000, it would still have 1600 USEABLE rpm.....THAT is what wins drag races in N/A cars of same weight and HP peaks.

PERIOD....

So few have dominated drag racing with same weight cars with off idle TQ.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hypothetical....

At "5400" to 7000, it would still have 1600 USEABLE rpm.....THAT is what wins drag races in N/A cars of same weight and HP peaks.

PERIOD....

not spillting hairs but say you have a power and torque band of 3000-6000 and your set up, why would a power band of 5400-7k be any better? considering your torque is going to be less. I've seen many more low shifting BB in the 9's than high reving SB's stroked or not.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hypothetical....

PERIOD....

not spillting hairs but say you have a power and torque band of 3000-6000 and your set up, why would a power band of 5400-7k be any better? considering your torque is going to be less. I've seen many more low shifting BB in the 9's than high reving SB's stroked or not.

First, let me say, I've had/have big-small-HEMI.....I love em' all.

"Seeing" low shifting BBs out ETing SBs is irrellevant. You have no idea the power #s, weights and the million other factors responsible for ET.

We are talking SAME weight AND HP. With that being the case, the engine with more useable rpm can be geared and stalled to create a MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE to accelerate quicker. 3000-6000 powerband is a non-starter, as shift rpm fallback that wide means you need a new converter guy. So who cares what's happening at 3000???

Do you realize how much more flash stall and rear ratio you can use with an engine that hangs on till 7000 vs 6000??? Remember.....same weight car and peak HP.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 03:45 PM

"Seeing" low shifting BBs out ETing SBs is irrellevant. You have no idea the power #s, weights and the million other factors responsible for ET.

We are talking SAME weight AND HP. With that being the case, the engine with more useable rpm can be geared and stalled to create a MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE to accelerate quicker. 3000-6000 powerband is a non-starter, as shift rpm fallback that wide means you need a new converter guy. So who cares what's happening at 3000???

Do you realize how much more flash stall and rear ratio you can use with an engine that hangs on till 7000 vs 6000??? Remember.....same weight car and peak HP.

I see your point but WHY would you go that route if you could do it with less stall and gear? Maybe the post should be which costs less to build... anyway both will work just a matter of how you want to get there.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

I see your point but WHY would you go that route if you could do it with less stall and gear? Maybe the post should be which costs less to build... anyway both will work just a matter of how you want to get there.

I'm not advocating any route. I'm simply stating the obvious in relation to my interpretation of the original post. I've run around town with a low 9sec 499ci 440-1, have a screw blown HEMI in my Cuda' to get the ice cream home before it melts and as soon as my Dart gets back from paint, we'll be trying out our 417ci W8.

Like I said, I love em' all.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:23 PM

"have a screw blown HEMI in my Cuda' to get the ice cream home before it melts"

well what good is melted ice cream?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:44 PM

Quote:

why are you so hung up on what cost less to build? i have a junk stock stroke/rod 360 with home ported j heads, small solid, torker II and a 750 dp, 3.91 gear, car runs 12.20 with 1.66 60' in a heavy with driver 3460lbs demon. Engine cost $3,400 thats with main studs and line hone all machine work, rods sized etc.. I have beat many 383/440's a couple of the 440's had aluminum heads, i also lost to several 440's etc, so whats your point about cost??? i'm sure i could take this engine apart stick in a 4" crank and pistons for about a grand and drop to around low 11's. With that logic why are you running your big block in that big heavy cowl hood charger? You would go much faster in a A Body or late model Daytona,

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:53 PM

Quote:

"have a screw blown HEMI in my Cuda' to get the ice cream home before it melts"

well what good is melted ice cream?

No good....

That's the reason for the screw.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 04:54 PM

Why would you go that route? Because not everybody wants a low rpm high tourqe big block and NO the post shouldn't be which one cost less to build... this post is about 500hp big and small blocks geared and convertered to take advantage of the engine package. Maybe I should have posted which one is more EFFICIENT that really gets you big block guys panties in a wad.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:30 PM

RPM my stroked 340 made all its power @ 5800 rpm!that was shown on a dyno 506hp @ 5800 rpm 540lbs of torque was low 4000 rpm

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 05:39 PM

"Maybe I should have posted which one is more EFFICIENT that really gets you big block guys panties in a wad."

nah just the Hemi guys.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:12 PM

Pretty hard to build a 440 with only 500 HP. We would have to go to the junk yard for a set of 906 heads.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:21 PM

Quote:

Pretty hard to build a 440 with only 500 HP. We would have to go to the junk yard for a set of 906 heads.

Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Which one weighs more..

Maybe that will help..

Chris...

Mike

WELL, if the pound of feathers is in the shape of a parachute...

still wouldnt mather if it was in total vacum

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Pretty hard to build a big block 440 with only 500 HP. We would have to go to the junk yard for a set of 906 heads.

fixed?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 06:55 PM

back on track, there is a reason people dont put some tank engine making max power at a tad over 2000rpms in dragcars atleast i dont know of anyone doing it with succes.

however 500hp moving a set weight is always 500hp

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

ok since you guys want to fight about big and small block lets try this.

lets say you have a 360 with 500 hp and 200 foot pounds of torque and you put in a 4 inch crank and now it still has 500 hp but now it has 400 foot pounds of torque. you are saying it will run the same?? same 3000 pound car.

ok so where are all you small block guys now?? come on now it easy its yes or no???

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 07:46 PM

YES!
Fully optimized!
YES!
Less cubes will make the horsepower at higher rpm, thus requiring a lower rearend gear, which multiplies torque. And I'm not talking out my ego like half you guys here. I am small block converting big block guy. Mostly cuz the aftermarket has made it cheaper and easier.

So YES guys your 500 cubic inch engine making 550 horsepower doesn't run any quicker than a 550 horsepower smallblock. Is it more streetable with 3.55 gears and 3k stall? Yes. But its not gonna be any faster then the 550 hp 340 that's running 5.13s.

If you don't get it by now maybe go back to school and take a physics class.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 07:54 PM

maybe a better post would be "practical" What's the easiest/cheapest block to make 500 hp? Any block big/small can make power if you toss enuff money into it.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 08:01 PM

Quote:

maybe a better post would be "practical" What's the easiest/cheapest block to make 500 hp? Any block big/small can make power if you toss enuff money into it.

nobody cares what it costs or how to get 500hp the question is what is the differece in torque going to do

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

nobody cares what it costs or how to get 500hp the question is what is the differece in torque going to do

Maybe you should stop puffing out your chest and try to understand what we are saying. The next time you are beat by a small blocl ask yourself how it could be possible since the engine doesn't make enough torque.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 08:15 PM

At least you guys are giving the small block a chance by only comparing it to a 440...

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 08:23 PM

Quote:

YES!
Fully optimized!
YES!
Less cubes will make the horsepower at higher rpm, thus requiring a lower rearend gear, which multiplies torque. And I'm not talking out my ego like half you guys here. I am small block converting big block guy. Mostly cuz the aftermarket has made it cheaper and easier.

So YES guys your 500 cubic inch engine making 550 horsepower doesn't run any quicker than a 550 horsepower smallblock. Is it more streetable with 3.55 gears and 3k stall? Yes. But its not gonna be any faster then the 550 hp 340 that's running 5.13s.

This is correct thats why I made this post to stop an argument, but no matter what some people just don't get it and never will.

Mr. Yuck if you keep saying the post should be this or that quit posting on my post and start your own. I would like the post to stay on track (GOT IT)

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YES!
Fully optimized!
YES!

This is correct thats why I made this post to stop an argument, but no matter what some people just don't get it and never will.

Mr. Yuck if you keep saying the post should be this or that quit posting on my post and start your own. I would like the post to stay on track (GOT IT)

sorry I'm out. Just trying to inject some logic into the conversation. By the way I'm not the only one who disagrees with you. I'll stand by what I said. A car that makes 500hp and over 570lbs of torque (and a 440 will) would beat a 500hp SB that makes maybe 500lbs of torque. geared and stalled correct blah blah blah

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YES!
Fully optimized!
YES!

sorry I'm out. Just trying to inject some logic into the conversation. By the way I'm not the only one who disagrees with you. I'll stand by what I said. A car that makes 500hp and over 570lbs of torque (and a 440 will) would beat a 500hp SB that makes maybe 500lbs of torque. geared and stalled correct blah blah blah

forgeting about torque multiplication? those 70lbs of diference wont be to the bigblocks advantage anymore if you measure at the wheels,under the cirkumstance that the smallblock will make its power at a higher rpm and therefore having a lower geared rearend and more converter stall.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 09:58 PM

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:08 PM

i got it

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:08 PM

Quote:

This is Gettin' GOOD!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But yet i have probably seen more high 11 second big block Mopar "race cars" at the track than anything else, then when you look under the hoods they look like they should run 9.50's.

The above wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt 100% true

Almost as bad as the proverbial huge inch 67-69 Camaro's you see all the time that only seem to run 10.50's and are all cut up to heck so they will even run that good

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:14 PM

Every brand of car has their share of cheese.

Every brand, big block and small block have their share that make
people say, "There's no #@&*% WAY that's all that's done to it!"

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:18 PM

Quote:

i got it

nah don't lock it. I don't think anybody here has taken anything personally. It's all good fun.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 10:37 PM

So using some of you guy's theory any engine 500 hp no matter what the torque "say one is 500 the other 700" they will run the same if every other aspect of the combination is optimized? not trying to argue just trying to understand.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

So using some of you guy's theory any engine 500 hp no matter what the torque "say one is 500 the other 700" they will run the same if every other aspect of the combination is optimized? not trying to argue just trying to understand.

Yes this is right torque is equallized through the rear gear. Say 3.91 for the big block and 4.88 for small block (as an example)

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 11:03 PM

No don't it. Some good info here and some funny logic also.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 11:09 PM

Quote:

this here is incorrect.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/21/11 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ya ask a simple question and seems that cows just want to crap all over ya This post needs a little injection of bad humor every now & then
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 12:10 AM

It's not a Mopar comparison but it is somewhat relevent to the arguement.
I think it was Hot Rod a few years back that built two engines, a small block 406 and a big block 406, same cam profile.
I cant remember the Dyno numbers but the big block heads flowed better so it kicked butt on the small block. They both went in the same Chevelle with the weight the only difference,
the smallblock managed 12.50's I think and the big block ran 12.30's or 12.20's, even with the weight disadvantage and the same cubes.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 12:19 AM

The "big block" clearly made more power. You're right, not the same
as the scenareo posed here.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 12:46 AM

i am glad i read this

now i am going to tear out my 488 inch v-10 and put in a stock 340 they both make around 300 hp so there will be no difference.

i am liking the small blocks

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

i am glad i read this

now i am going to tear out my 488 inch v-10 and put in a stock 340 they both make around 300 hp so there will be no difference.

Not a bad idea. Come to think of it I wasted the money on my cummins should have just got the 360 same hp, just a gear change from same performance.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 01:04 AM

Quote:

It's not a Mopar comparison but it is somewhat relevent to the arguement.
I think it was Hot Rod a few years back that built two engines, a small block 406 and a big block 406, same cam profile.
I cant remember the Dyno numbers but the big block heads flowed better so it kicked butt on the small block. They both went in the same Chevelle with the weight the only difference,
the smallblock managed 12.50's I think and the big block ran 12.30's or 12.20's, even with the weight disadvantage and the same cubes.

The only reason the big block won was because the gear and converter favored it. You cant use the same gear and converter becuase the big block made more torque.

472HEMI you might as well pull the v-10 and put in a 340 because when you don't get the truck out of the garage it doesn't really matter. They both will rust away to nothing at the same rate.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

i am glad i read this

just get the 358 ci nascar motor there going for about 6 g's..and they only make 850hp
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 01:50 AM

Not alot of straight forward answers to the op question, but alot of good info.

Id say take your best year stock 440 and your best year stock 360...poof ya got your answer, a great 440 and a very mild small block.

I love my small block strokers but have the need for a low budget BB stroker just to get the best of both worlds. Not to either brag or complain, but for what ive in one of my stroker six pack small blocks I could have a killer BB, really killer.

Id rather see posts not on how to beat each other, but how to beat that supercharged stang, or the blown chebbie down the street with a ????
Posted By: BryanRad

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 02:01 AM

One thing that is almost always left out of these conversations is the torque curve. Another argument that comes down to do you want a slip to say my engine made xxx horsepower or do you want an et slip that shows how well the engine makes power over a broad range and is utilized.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 02:05 AM

Which one will last longer at the 500hp level? My vote goes to the BB.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes this is right torque is equallized through the rear gear. Say 3.91 for the big block and 4.88 for small block (as an example)

Your Whole argument is correct on paper.

But it isnt in reality. The 500 Hp SB power curve will be smaller then the BB.

Unless both combos are pegged at the start to finish at 500 HP, witch they wont be. The BB with the wider torque/hp curve will be the winner.

Your argument is a theoretical math/physics argument on paper , not a reality argument.

500 + 500 = 1000 on paper.

500 hp BB and 500 hp SB doesnt = the same ET with different torque curves!

Further, in reguards to HP, math and physics being so precise.

Why is it that every stinking website for mph vs weight = xxx amount of HP is so far off from one another by 100 HP or so.

HP is a Calculated number based off of RPM. Both Torque and HP are for real. Torque can be measured, but HP is calculated.

And it can be calculated pretty accurately, But not on a vehical that races down a track with a variable Torque Band width.

For the arguments sake Im on the side of the BB is the winner in this same 500HP senario. Because in reality, the two combos will never be fully optimized to the 500HP
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 03:35 AM

I was just wondering what made the fastest pass at the heads up shoot out they just had on here. Was it a small block or big block?
Posted By: d-150

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 03:42 AM

no matter the argument no substitue for cubic inch. no matter what u do to the smallblock if you do the same mod to the big block the big block will make more power

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

One thing that is almost always left out of these conversations is the torque curve. Another argument that comes down to do you want a slip to say my engine made xxx horsepower or do you want an et slip that shows how well the engine makes power over a broad range and is utilized.

I agree the big block torque curve will be broader, but I said with gear and converter to match the combo's. With that said a big block with a 275/60/15 tire with 3.23 shifted at 6000 rpm would fall back to 3500 in second, then back to 6000 and fall back to 4000 in drive. While a small block with the same tire and with 4.10 shifted at 7500 would fall back to 4500 in second and back to 7500 then fall to 5200 in drive. That small block would have 500rpm more pull in 1st-2nd shift and 300rpm more pull in 2nd-drive thats 800 rpm more total. This is figured on both cars with a 727 and stock gear ratio's. This would also be with the converter dead locked which we know don't happen, but still more useable rpm from the small block.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:02 AM

the rpms will drop more on big block but i think the torque would make up for the drop i think the torque of the big block would be the factor. at both being 500 horsepower the big block would have 200 ft.pounds of torque over small block
Posted By: instigator

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

no matter the argument no substitue for cubic inch. no matter what u do to the smallblock if you do the same mod to the big block the big block will make more power

Wrong!!!!

Put an same identical turbo on either engine and then tell me the same thing.....smaller cubes will almost always win out due to being able to run into a turbos higher PR because the big block is going to turbine choke sooner and not be able to get into the maximum flow of the compressor due to PR.

And don't even try and come back with a rebuttal unless you actually know what you are talking about....

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:19 AM

ok put a turbo on a 360 that makes 500 horsepower and 440 that makes 500 horsepower same difference i will play your silly game

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:34 AM

Quote:

ok put a turbo on a 360 that makes 500 horsepower and 440 that makes 500 horsepower same difference i will play your silly game

I said the same turbo.....you stated that nothing done to either motor could allow the smallblock to make more power....

and it is not always about cubic inches...there is an equalizer....And I know what it is......

And my GAME is it!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:39 AM

Do you see anything strange that I see smallblock ruling the east coast head up classes...these guys spend more money than No_Politics on their cars so you know there is the best of everything in them either big or smallblock!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:59 AM

original post was both 500 horsepower. optimal power the 440 would not use same turbo as 360.and who says a big block can not turn same rpms as a small block

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:30 AM

and if this is correct i could get a srt4 motor make it 500 horsepower put it in a 3200 lb race car and spank all the small blocks and big blocks

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:41 AM

But you stated Power not ET in your statement....I am just stating the facts that that old statement of you can not replace cubic inches is old school and antiquated.....

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:55 AM

Quote:

such entertainment for free.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:55 AM

Quote:

and if this is correct i could get a srt4 motor make it 500 horsepower put it in a 3200 lb race car and spank all the small blocks and big blocks

This post was about N/A motor. Power adder is a whole different ball game.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 06:50 AM

Quote:

231/237 cam in that 408 and 480ish HP ??? sounds more like maybe a 430hp engine

11.2:1 compression, single plane, etc. The 440 with smaller cam and less compression made 485. Heads were about equal but the small block actually has something called a combustion chamber and quench. I'm thinking it's a wash. I could be wrong, but the truck mph'd within about 3 mph between the 408 and the 440. So you tell me, is that 55 hp? 4800 lb truck.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 01:37 PM

My understanding of this thread was, ETs for IDENTICAL HP numbers for two different size engines. NOT a "what can make more power with X modification".

Hopefully, all the engine builders who deal in max N/A engines are keeping tabs of this thread. All these years of trying to shift power UP was an excersize in futility. They should have been trying to increase TQ at 3000rpm.

Who knew that all they were doing was abusing the valve springs.

Perhaps this will signal the wave of the future......turbo diesels in Pro Stock, with 1000tq @ 1800rpm and 300hp @ 1801rpm.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

such entertainment for free.

Better than "Pass Time"!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Hopefully, all the engine builders who deal in max N/A engines are keeping tabs of this thread. All these years of trying to shift power UP was an excersize in futility. They should have been trying to increase TQ at 3000rpm.

Who knew that all they were doing was abusing the valve springs.

Perhaps this will signal the wave of the future......turbo diesels in Pro Stock, with 1000tq @ 1800rpm and 300hp @ 1801rpm.

The diesel analogy took the cake.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ya ask a simple question and seems that cows just want to crap all over ya This post needs a little injection of bad humor every now & then

Bad humor on YOUR part. Why bring up cows crapping all over a person when it was a metaphoric statement about engines. At least, that how I put it as. The cow chip issue, I was trying to be funny, on that note alone.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:35 PM

Quote:

It is funny all this talk of 45yo ancient big and small block engines when these modern cars with tiny cid engines like the Boss 302 can kick ass to the tune of 11.70 stock with just drag radials
Posted By: mike54

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 04:53 PM

http://www.rehermorrison.com/blog/?p=201
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:01 PM

I have the BADDEST big-block on my street............PERIOD.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:28 PM

Quote:

Lets say you build a 440 and a 360 both stock stroke to make the same horse power (500hp). Do you agree the 440 will make more torque given the larger stroke? Do you think with properly matched gear and converter for the engines in say a 3000lb car will run the same ET?
If they do run the same ET does this mean the smallblock would recover in between gear changes quicker to make up for being down on torque. I am trying to end an argument, so your thuoghts please.

First, never said anything against power adders.
Second, stock strokes, NO stroker combos

Yes, they would run close in times.
Yes, A smallblock would recover a bit quicker (depending on equipment). Again, depending on eeqipment and tune, top end hp rules, (shorter strokes) if torque peaks late in the midrange.
However, a high but nearly flat torque peak in the lower midrange, (longer strokes) can be equally as strong. There is another factor in trying to measure an engines performance potential. Rod/stroke ratio. Although NOT 100% accurate, but it gives an indicator of the engines basic potential for performance, (equipment being not part of equation). 340's, for example, have a 1.84 ratio - which lends them nicely to higher rpm power.
360's on the other hand, have a 1.71 - which gives them a GREAT advantage as a midrange high hp/high torque motor. SOLID base for a stroker or "standard arm" HOT street/strip.
440's have a 1.80 - which is nearly equal in performance as the 360, but with a slightly BETTER potential for higher rpm hp.
Not to say 360's can't rpm up but it also about the equipment (parts) which makes it all happen. Given both at the 500hp level, again, they would be nearly equal. A point about the 360's rev drop, it would NOT be the same as a 340's, unfortunately! It would be at slightly lower rpm than the 340's, characteristic to the 440's (again, equipment depending!). If the 440 has a balanced bobweight LESS than the 360's, it's a wrap!! But it's not needed for a 440 at the 500hp level. 500hp 440 engine builds are standard "street-level" combos, they are unnecessary, unless you WANT TO spent a bit more money on
the parts/balance job just to "maximize" that particular combo at THAT level!! At 550-600hp or MORE, IT IS absolutely beneficial!! It would be routine for the 360 (at 500hp) since the nature of smallblocks are to rpm quicker/higher than their big block counterparts. And you would want maximum hi-rpm reliablity from your smallblock!! Anytime you can REDUCE reciprocating weight, you are adding rpm and possibly more torque.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 05:45 PM

another factor is the bore size relative to the valve size and placement.

440s dont open on center but the smallblocks due iirc.
valve shrouding comes into play.

big or smallblock aside,

the largest bore with the most advantageous valve location with the most cycles going thru it will be the better performer when comparing equal size pumps.

Its all about passing the most air. Imo

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 06:11 PM

Quote:

What does he know????

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

It is funny all this talk of 45yo ancient big and small block engines when these modern cars with tiny cid engines like the Boss 302 can kick ass to the tune of 11.70 stock with just drag radials

Umm... I do think Chrysler made the slant six motor. Has two LESS cylinders than YOUR Boss 302. They're ALSO ancient, (in YOUR words). Would you run it against this 45-46 year (young) old ancient engine? I doubt it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuudC21ScB4&feature=related

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What does he know????

Hey thanks for posting that! Very good read.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quite interesting!!
Good article and it does hold some truth and merit! But, there are cam/head combos, that will produce good airflow VELOCITY for more effective power at lower rpms in some engine combos. Better burn, in cylinders, more midrange hp/torque so you won't buzz the engine as high to get an identical rate of velocity in the manifold/heads/cylinders. To do the latter you would need more port VOLUME (bigger ports) which rquires MORE engine rpm to be effective. Great for racing, not so good for "street/strip" which would lean towards a bit "wider" powerband.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Umm... I do think Chryler made the slant six motor. Has two LESS cylinders than YOUR Boss 302. They're ALSO ancient, (in YOUR words). Would you run it against this 45-46 year (young) old ancient engine? I doubt it!!

I don't have a 2012 Boss, but i bet with some bolt on's and a pc upgrade it would run with it, then kick that /6 in braking, and on a road course, all with the a/c and stereo cranking with better mileage to boot, .

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

another factor is the bore size relative to the valve size and placement.

440s dont open on center but the smallblocks due iirc.
valve shrouding comes into play.

big or smallblock aside,

the largest bore with the most advantageous valve location with the most cycles going thru it will be the better performer when comparing equal size pumps.

Its all about passing the most air. Imo

on the passing air concept. Everything else is just a "pathway" into the cylinders. Some designs are more "frictional" to the airflow than others. In light of your "large bore" theory, which is well-documented , the theory of a "longer" cylinder
stroke which increases the volume at LESS operating speed, holds truth too!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Umm... I do think Chryler made the slant six motor. Has two LESS cylinders than YOUR Boss 302. They're ALSO ancient, (in YOUR words). Would you run it against this 45-46 year (young) old ancient engine? I doubt it!!

I don't have a 2012 Boss, but i bet with some bolt on's and a pc upgrade it would run with it, then kick that /6 in braking, and on a road course, all with the a/c and stereo cranking with better mileage to boot, .

I think I would rather LEAVE the radio and A/C
out, if I had one, driving on the "track". Can't do nothing about the heat in the helmet and suit.
Besides, I would want to be "focused" on the track
and car's handling condition, rather than the radio. I don't like spinning out and ending up hitting haybales or tire walls, even worse guardrails!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 07:45 PM

I agree the big block torque curve will be broader, but I said with gear and converter to match the combo's. With that said a big block with a 275/60/15 tire with 3.23 shifted at 6000 rpm would fall back to 3500 in second, then back to 6000 and fall back to 4000 in drive. While a small block with the same tire and with 4.10 shifted at 7500 would fall back to 4500 in second and back to 7500 then fall to 5200 in drive. That small block would have 500rpm more pull in 1st-2nd shift and 300rpm more pull in 2nd-drive thats 800 rpm more total. This is figured on both cars with a 727 and stock gear ratio's. This would also be with the converter dead locked which we know don't happen, but still more useable rpm from the small block.

Great point!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 08:01 PM

It's amazing that in 2011, people still don't understand important things, like "shift recovery" and "useable rpm".

It has nothing to do with....."my big block is better than your small block, or vice versa.

Pity, I tell ya.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 08:20 PM

Quote:

It's amazing that in 2011, people still don't understand important things, like "shift recovery" and "useable rpm".

It has nothing to do with....."my big block is better than your small block, or vice versa.

Pity, I tell ya.

There are no given right or wrong answers here,
just opinions and facts. Both can be useful to learn from.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 08:25 PM

Turbo small blocks and diesels......

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 08:43 PM

Quote:

Turbo small blocks and diesels......

They DO make power. But unfortunately, they aren't the topic at hand!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Pity, I tell ya.

There are no given right or wrong answers here,
just opinions and facts. Both can be useful to learn from.

Yes, there are opinions and facts in this thread.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/22/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

you have a very impressive bigblock for sure

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I said "my street" cos there`s always someone around the corner who`s faster. This topic is good for both sides big and small blocks guys and gals alike as for me; I`d rather have the big block torque in a street/strip car and keep the r`s down than have a small block high revving monster that taxes even the best of parts.
Posted By: Big-Mike

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 02:08 AM

Good grief! I can't believe the "bitchiness" of some of the small block guys in this forum.
Small blocks are great, I had a worked 360 in my car for a few years in the late eighties; but the i went big-block. Wow! what a difference! And that was with much the same sort of combination as the 360.
For a very hard-driven street car(& i'm talking 70-135 mph)they would jail me today,i guess)the small-block just couln't compete.
I used the 440 for 18 yrs & then i went with a 440 Source Stroker.
Oh boy! The smile just couldn't be taken off my face.
Cubes equals Torque,& that rules.
With 2:75 gears & New-Process I do 12:00-12:25@ 117-118mph with a 4000 lb Charger.
As for Turbo's. Great! Thats probably what i'll play with next.
But isn't that just artificially making a small-block think its a big-block.
Kinda kills the argument some of the replys have used.
The stroker has all the parts except for crank,rods & pistons.
It gained one full sec: & 4-5 mph through the 1/4,& gained 5-6 mpg imperial.
Better volumetric efficiency I guess as the shorter rod ratio along with bigger cubes reading all parts as being smaller than what the 440 see's.
Mike in New Zealand My
Posted By: Big-Mike

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 02:27 AM

Just one more thing too.
A sensible combination of parts at an affordable price, 7000 revs is a sensible ceiling for both big & small blocks for an everyday street car.
My 440 with TRW 2355 six-pac pistons on just polished & shot-peened rods did 10,-Yes! Ten years before it needed a tear-down. Nearly 180'000 miles. And I used to do about 50 1/4 mile drags a year using street tires so that i could sit on 6700-7000 doing wild full-lock to full-lock power slides. Wasn't fast, but who cares,the crowd loved it & so did I.
Thats why Fuel Altered's wer a crowd favourite in their day.
In this country there is a huge following of American Muscle Cars doing cercuit racing as well. Crowds of 10,000 easy,& for a country of 4'500'000 people, thats big.
We even have Mopar National Drags,& over 100 Cars arrive. Awesome!
Mike
Posted By: steeldust

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 04:00 AM

If you take a big block and it makes the same HP as a small block and the weight is the same the car will run close to the same but i know a small block with a turbo on it and it runs with the big blocks and real close but the more you spend the faster you will go.

Attached picture 6742789-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 05:12 AM

Quote:

I agree the big block torque curve will be broader, but I said with gear and converter to match the combo's.

With that said a big block with a 275/60/15 tire with 3.23 shifted at 6000 rpm would fall back to 3500 in second, then back to 6000 and fall back to 4000 in drive. While a small block with the same tire and with 4.10 shifted at 7500 would fall back to 4500 in second and back to 7500 then fall to 5200 in drive. That small block would have 500rpm more pull in 1st-2nd shift and 300rpm more pull in 2nd-drive thats 800 rpm more total. This is figured on both cars with a 727 and stock gear ratio's. This would also be with the converter dead locked which we know don't happen, but still more useable rpm from the small block.

You stated matched optimized combos between the two. A 500 HP BB is not optimized with a 3.23 gear. Further, it wouldnt fall back to 3500 rpm in second with the right vert.

The original question, 500 HP BB 440 vs 500 HP SB 360 in a 3000# car. In this case alone, at this level of performance, the broader torque range of the BB,s extra stroke should win.

The argument of Mechanical advantage with more gear has merit. But you can overgear IMO, Ive found that with my 500HP combo, it likes to dwell a little in first gear with the verts torque multiplications aspects.

Ive tested 3 gears with the same HP. RPM and gear multiplication isnt always the fastest way to the stripe at these 500 hp levels.

Pro stocks 500CI and 10,000 rpm,s sure different story.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 06:35 AM

i'm just glad the stroker cranks are out and you could get a 340 into the 426" to 440" size. of course the bb strokers have been around longer.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I said "my street" cos there`s always someone around the corner who`s faster. This topic is good for both sides big and small blocks guys and gals alike as for me; I`d rather have the big block torque in a street/strip car and keep the r`s down than have a small block high revving monster that taxes even the best of parts.

thats your opinion now here's mine dont take offense you have a big block that runs on race gas? i'll be honest here ur car runs 9.90's thats slow..what were sayin here is u dont need a bb to run 10'ooozzzz u can do it pretty easy and have ur car 140lbs lighter

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree the big block torque curve will be broader, but I said with gear and converter to match the combo's.

With that said a big block with a 275/60/15 tire with 3.23 shifted at 6000 rpm would fall back to 3500 in second, then back to 6000 and fall back to 4000 in drive. While a small block with the same tire and with 4.10 shifted at 7500 would fall back to 4500 in second and back to 7500 then fall to 5200 in drive. That small block would have 500rpm more pull in 1st-2nd shift and 300rpm more pull in 2nd-drive thats 800 rpm more total. This is figured on both cars with a 727 and stock gear ratio's. This would also be with the converter dead locked which we know don't happen, but still more useable rpm from the small block.

You stated matched optimized combos between the two. A 500 HP BB is not optimized with a 3.23 gear. Further, it wouldnt fall back to 3500 rpm in second with the right vert.

The original question, 500 HP BB 440 vs 500 HP SB 360 in a 3000# car. In this case alone, at this level of performance, the broader torque range of the BB,s extra stroke should win.

The argument of Mechanical advantage with more gear has merit. But you can overgear IMO, Ive found that with my 500HP combo, it likes to dwell a little in first gear with the verts torque multiplications aspects.

Ive tested 3 gears with the same HP. RPM and gear multiplication isnt always the fastest way to the stripe at these 500 hp levels.

A 500hp BB has torque around 3000-3800 rpms. Would
need traction aids to hook well in a #3000lb car.
A 500hp SB has torque around 4000-4500 rpms. Needs traction aids also, but a bit EASIER to hook
in a #3000lb car, due to it's higher peak, not wider. Wider or broader torque band are great for
slightly heavier cars, but at #3000lbs, so much torque is there down low, tires are overwhelmed and they spin. During the run, things may or DO get "close" midtrack, but to the finish it's usually a "leg" race, with the one who has the higher rev potential winning.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A 500hp SB has torque around 4000-4500 rpms. Needs traction aids also, but a bit EASIER to hook
in a #3000lb car, due to it's higher peak, not wider. Wider or broader torque band are great for
slightly heavier cars, but at #3000lbs, so much torque is there down low, tires are overwhelmed and they spin. During the run, things may or DO get "close" midtrack, but to the finish it's usually a "leg" race, with the one who has the higher rev potential winning.

not a lot of traction need to hook w/ 500hp. My old 67 coronet cut 1.65 60 foot and ran 12.0's @114 on factory HP springs and 28.5X10.5's. The new car should be in the high 1.50's on stock HD springs and 275/60/15's. Nothing fancy needed and I'm over 500. buddy's old 69 coronet ran high tens on his old whooped 318 rear leaf springs and traction bars. That's another thing, to get a decent tire on an a-body you have to start cutting.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 05:54 PM

I have been watching this post for a while and have to say.

Walk away from the keyboard and race your cars.

By the way my smallblock thinks it's a big block.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thats your opinion now here's mine dont take offense you have a big block that runs on race gas? i'll be honest here ur car runs 9.90's thats slow..what were sayin here is u dont need a bb to run 10'ooozzzz u can do it pretty easy and have ur car 140lbs lighter

Whatever..........apparently you didn`t read what I wrote. I joked about having the fastest car on "my street" also, I drive on pump 91 and mix at the track and never claimed to have a " pump gas ONLY" car. I`ve read several of your posts and you`re very cocky......I`m humble. NO ONE where I live including RADICAL small blocks can match my et`s...........PERIOD. How much did your small block REALLY cost and how fast are you running and do you DRIVE it on the street like I do? Another thing; I had fuel and charging issues which I`ve worked out but unlike most of you guys ,we have one 1/4 track within several miles and it`s either big EXPENSIVE events or import fags tearing up and blowing up SCREWING up the track. I went back to back 6.22`s in the 1/8th.......how about you?
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 06:01 PM

Quote:

That's another thing, to get a decent tire on an a-body you have to start cutting.

Not on a Duster you don't. I have 275/60/15 drag radials on 15X8 rims with 4.5" backspacing and they fit perfectly with no rubbing.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's another thing, to get a decent tire on an a-body you have to start cutting.

Not on a Duster you don't. I have 275/60/15 drag radials on 15X8 rims with 4.5" backspacing and they fit perfectly with no rubbing.

Yeah, but a Duster is just a Nova rear with a Valiant front clip..

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 06:42 PM

thumper sorry if i sound cocky I am NOT i am very giving person,,,i was just getting annoyed not at you..so sorry..i cant give u exact time with my car..as i do race for $ once in a while..but it does do 139mph in the 1/4 mopars!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 07:03 PM

9.64@139.00mph
Posted By: steeldust

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My DUSTER is not a NNOVEE i can`t say it it`s a MOPAR please tail me you are a MOPAR guy and you joking because that hurts but cubic inchs makes horse power ..THANKS

Attached picture 6743408-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 07:46 PM

Quote:

thumper sorry if i sound cocky I am NOT i am very giving person,,,i was just getting annoyed not at you..so sorry..i cant give u exact time with my car..as i do race for $ once in a while..but it does do 139mph in the 1/4 mopars!

No problem......... When I freshen my heap and make a tweek or two I should be running a bit faster and I`ve been 134mph but my second half numbers didn`t match my 1/8th but, I`ll get it.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 248* cam I was using with a 440 BB, peak torque fell around 4500 RPM, peak HP around 5750. It was around 500 to 520 HP.

Im not sure where the torque and HP peaks would fall on a same HP 360 SB

It was hard to hook up at first but with tricks of the trade 1.43,s are effortless now.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 08:12 PM

ok cool thump

Re: big block VS small block - 07/23/11 08:48 PM

Quote:

ok cool thump

It`s all good...........

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My friends '72 runs those same tires and
has plenty of bite, zero clearance problems.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 12:45 AM

I guess with THAT "line" of thinking, a Roadrunner
would be a Fairlane rear with a Satellite front clip..

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sport 440 you need to read what my post stated not what you think it said. I never said 500 bb would be optimized with 3.23 nor would the small block with 4.10. I was just showing what .83 in gear ratio would do between the two combo's. You also said it wouldn't fall back to 3500 with the right converter and I stated that would be with the converter dead locked (just as an example) which never happens.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 248* cam I was using with a 440 BB, peak torque fell around 4500 RPM, peak HP around 5750. It was around 500 to 520 HP.

Im not sure where the torque and HP peaks would fall on a same HP 360 SB

It was hard to hook up at first but with tricks of the trade 1.43,s are effortless now.

Don't know the weight of your car, but there is an abundance of torque starting above 2.5K.
Did the right things to it!! In a 360, torque peak may be a tad higher than the 440 with the same cam
in it. Is the 248* a solid cam?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

Pity, I tell ya.

You can talk to some people till your blue in the face and in the end all you got was blue in the face If they don't get it by now 2011 they will never get it and thats why most are still stuck thinking it's the 1970's with .590 cams and TRW pistons. If the last statement offends you then you are who I'm talking about.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:03 AM

when i was 16 i bought a 71 challenger no motor or tranny.found a 65 chrysler station wagon for 300 dollars with a 2 barrel 383.changed the 2 barroel tm6 intake and 750 holley double pumper.had to get a tranny rebuilt cause it was cable shift.with that car i beat a 340 duster 351w mustang 350hp 350 corvette 360 dodge truck and a 289 hi po mustang.icould turn that motor 6000 rpm no problem.that transmission guy must have built me one helluva tranny

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:30 AM

i forgot i bolted the intake on backwards and my buddy noticed it. maybe that was what made it run.i am 38 now and he still brings that up.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:33 AM

Man, you big block guys are too much. There is a picture of my Charger 3500 punds + driver, Hod Rod magazine and Car craft also, 440 factory strok and factory heads, 906īs. It ran 10.50 back in the 90īs, street car. 440 are ok and they run strong, but I like small block. there is nothing wrong with small blocks and I beleive they can outrun any big block (So donīt say people start small block and then go big blobk because itīs not true in every case)

Attached picture 6743933-68CHARGER.jpg

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:41 AM

i do not think us big block guys dont like small blocks we just want to see a stock stroke 360 j head motor run 10.5 in a 3500 pound car.my next build i want to do a 360 magnum motor got drivetrain just need an a body 70-72 duster

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pity, I tell ya.

You can talk to some people till your blue in the face and in the end all you got was blue in the face If they don't get it by now 2011 they will never get it and thats why most are still stuck thinking it's the 1970's with .590 cams and TRW pistons. If the last statement offends you then you are who I'm talking about.

It's called being "caught up in a time warp". But.. they ARE entitled to think that way and can refuse to "roll with the times", by choice. 1970's, 590 cams and TRW pistons? TWO parts of the previous statement, you can still buy today, BUT the '70's, you can never get BACK to!! FWIW, Do not waste time trying to "educate" those NOT willing to learn OR, at least, listen!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 02:52 AM

man i thought i was up to date building a full roller 360 but i must be missing something so please small block guys educate me

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:14 AM

not a lot of traction need to hook w/ 500hp. My old 67 coronet cut 1.65 60 foot and ran 12.0's @114 on factory HP springs and 28.5X10.5's. The new car should be in the high 1.50's on stock HD springs and 275/60/15's. Nothing fancy needed and I'm over 500. buddy's old 69 coronet ran high tens on his old whooped 318 rear leaf springs and traction bars. That's another thing, to get a decent tire on an a-body you have to start cutting.

Not too much of a problem in B-Bodies as you stated above. They are somewhat heavier than the
#3000lbs posted in the thread. B-Bodies do have MORE weight to shift to above the rear axle upon acceleration!! Especially with 500hp 440 packing a truckload of torque to do it with!! If it was in a 3000lb chassis, wheelspin city, unless the chassis was tweaked to handle the output. Lighter chassis, don't need as much torque down low in the range to move it out.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:24 AM

a body big block chasis setup, 2 batterys in trunk ,spring relocation kit 12.5mt drag radials, dana 60 rear.now i think you would get more wheelspin with heavier car because ur trying to move more weight.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:28 AM

Quote:

man i thought i was up to date building a full roller 360 but i must be missing something so please small block guys educate me

Got the "right" distributor drive/oil pump shaft, for that "race" roller cam? (for starters) Just common sense, I'm not an expert, neither a comedian (not at this instant). It's a serious question.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:33 AM

Sport 440 you need to read what my post stated not what you think it said. I never said 500 bb would be optimized with 3.23 nor would the small block with 4.10.

I was just showing what .83 in gear ratio would do between the two combo's. You also said it wouldn't fall back to 3500 with the right converter and I stated that would be with the converter dead locked (just as an example)

which never happens.

Okay, thanks for showing us that
A mechanical event which never happens.

To me this isnt really about the "BB vs SB"
I love stroked small blocks.

"Its Only about a non stroked "500 HP 440 BB vs a non stroked 500 HP 360"

That, and That alone Is my argument on the position. In that argument, Hands down the BB will win, at this level of performance.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:33 AM

all thats where all the horsepower is hiding

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:43 AM

Quote:

a body big block chasis setup, 2 batterys in trunk ,spring relocation kit 12.5mt drag radials, dana 60 rear.now i think you would get more wheelspin with heavier car because ur trying to move more weight.

The lighter the car, the higher in the powerband
you would want your torque peak. You would get more wheelspin out of a heavier car when it's springs flex under power. The right gear/tire/chassis combo would cause a heavier car to "hook" well under full power. In your case with the A-body, you also have enough footprint (tire width) as well as tire circumference (in accordance with your present gear ratio) to "hook".

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pity, I tell ya.

It's called being "caught up in a time warp". But.. they ARE entitled to think that way and can refuse to "roll with the times", by choice. 1970's, 590 cams and TRW pistons? TWO parts of the previous statement, you can still buy today, BUT the '70's, you can never get BACK to!! FWIW, Do not waste time trying to "educate" those NOT willing to learn OR, at least, listen!

Hyper, No my 248* cam is not a solid. Its the old MP .509 I am stepping up to the MP .590 though with the new combo. Also #3000

And not to be left behind or caught up in the old time warp. Im going to test a modern comparable Comp cam. It does look much better on paper Im coming out of time warp, maybe.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My DUSTER is not a NNOVEE i can`t say it it`s a MOPAR please tail me you are a MOPAR guy and you joking because that hurts but cubic inchs makes horse power ..THANKS

Well, considering I own a '75 Duster and have since 1988...yes, it was a joke!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:52 AM

actually my setup is what i described but it is a dakota

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 03:57 AM

Quote:

actually my setup is what i described but it is a dakota

Even better!! That particular model truck KEEPS a
LOT of people GUESSING!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 04:29 AM

Hyper, No my 248* cam is not a solid. Its the old MP .509 I am stepping up to the MP .590 though with the new combo. Also #3000

And not to be left behind or caught up in the old time warp. Im going to test a modern comparable Comp cam. It does look much better on paper Im coming out of time warp, maybe.

The statement of the "time warp" wasn't to "insult" anyone, using "old school" methods. If it did, MY apologies. Heck, I use that method sometimes and it STILL WORKS. My point, basically, was to not be biased in opinion of technology. To me, it doesn't matter the type of method used to build power. As long as you can get SOLID results of good performance from a combo, that's what counts. There is NO set approach. If you have a strong combination going on, perfect it, fine tune it. Just don't change it cause of TIME (AGE) or the fact others DON"T APPROVE. That's not
being an individual, you're becoming a follower, for those TWO reasons alone! 1970's, were great times but I KNOW I
can't go back!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pity, I tell ya.

Sometimes, people mistake these threads as a bash a big, or bash a small block deal.

I didn't see it that way at all and the few points I mentioned, I consider critical and therefore should be optimzed no matter the cubic inch, to attain the lowest possible ET.......IMO.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 10:08 PM

Sometimes, people mistake these threads as a bash a big, or bash a small block deal.

I didn't see it that way at all and the few points I mentioned, I consider critical and therefore should be optimzed no matter the cubic inch, to attain the lowest possible ET.......IMO.

Don't worry about the "superficial" Jim. Some of us DID understand the facts of your input and consider it very useful (helpful). Thanks!

Posted By: Ari440

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 10:12 PM

its all about MONEY

big block or small block

its money and time into it

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 10:27 PM

Quote:

its all about MONEY

big block or small block

its money and time into it

Or, you can ALWAYS say: Speed (hp) costs!! - How fast do you wanna GO??

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 10:44 PM

Quote:

Don't worry about the "superficial" Jim. Some of us DID understand the facts of your input and consider it very useful (helpful). Thanks!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 10:50 PM

so true..sometimes going to this site is like going back time....im still laughing over the '' what does he know'' comment...lol ..lol

Re: big block VS small block - 07/24/11 11:06 PM

Quote:

so true..sometimes going to this site is like going back time....im still laughing over the '' what does he know'' comment...lol ..lol

Starting to BOIL..again?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/25/11 12:36 AM

lets go with original post hp $$$ i'm not bashing small blocks i just want to see a 550hp small block build. how much $$ what parts etc.no turbo supercharger no high tech stuff us big block guys can not grasp we are still in the 70's

Re: big block VS small block - 07/25/11 12:41 AM

woops wrong thread
Posted By: Tig

Re: big block VS small block - 07/25/11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Man, you big block guys are too much. There is a picture of my Charger 3500 punds + driver, Hod Rod magazine and Car craft also, 440 factory strok and factory heads, 906īs. It ran 10.50 back in the 90īs, street car. 440 are ok and they run strong, but I like small block. there is nothing wrong with small blocks and I beleive they can outrun any big block (So donīt say people start small block and then go big blobk because itīs not true in every case)

Wow!! I have that issue somewhere.

How 'bout this though
We have 2 cars, both weigh 3000lb, both go 11.00 @ 125mph. One has a B/B, the other a S/B.
Which one makes the most power?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/25/11 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How 'bout this though
We have 2 cars, both weigh 3000lb, both go 11.00 @ 125mph. One has a B/B, the other a S/B.

not really the question , but the BB would do it cheaper.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/25/11 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not always what if I was given a 500hp small block then would the Big block be cheaper?

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How 'bout this though

Based on Physics.

If you run the numbers on 3 different HP calculaters they should all be dead nuts on But they wont!

Should be simple math right

Based on Physics,

If both combos are optimized, they should have the exact same HP right, its simple Physics as posted earlier by others

Now comes Theory,

Rehr Morrison theorizes, that if you take the Same HP but apply it at a higher RPM with more mechanical leverage. You will be faster!

Since the SB should rev higher in the above said combo. It therefore must have Less HP then the BB since it ran "only" the same number and not faster!

So the same exact HP, wont produce the Same ET, based on this.

I theorized, as others have that the BB with its wider torque/HP band would be faster then the SB at the same HP. So therefore the SB must have More HP then the BB to run the same number!

So the same exact HP, wont produce the Same ET,
based on this.

No Doubt Physics are involved, it just seems to be to hard to nail down with just the Simple, "MPH to Weight" , "Power band to Stroke" theorys.

IMO, Rehr/Morrisons theory has merit @ 10,000 RPM with more gear leverage.

But, so does the broader powerband scenario @ 6000 RPM, Take your choice with this 11.00 combo.

For the record,
500 HP @ 10,000 RPM is 263# of torque.
500 HP @ 6000 RPM is 438# of torque.

Please Tell me Tig, that you have some Dyno numbers to toss in. And that the Dyno was the same Dyno, not two across town that are a 100 HP different from one another.

Lets not forget, Jim Scortino, and W7 both stated, HP is HP, with the same HP if optimized it should run the Same ET. Its Physics, right.!

Rehr/Morrison says no, I say no!

These combos dont race down the track at a Fixed RPM HP level!

The easiest Physics of all should be the "weight vs MPH = xxx amount of HP". Why cant All of the various HP calculators agree?

After all, Its simple Physics right.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 12:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How 'bout this though

In reality, they BOTH have similar power outputs, so that part of the question is a moot point. The Big Block wuold be cheaper to run.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 12:59 AM

Quote:

lets go with original post hp $$$ i'm not bashing small blocks i just want to see a 550hp small block build. how much $$ what parts etc.no turbo supercharger no high tech stuff us big block guys can not grasp we are still in the 70's

This would be INTERESTING!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 01:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not always what if I was given a 500hp small block then would the Big block be cheaper?

well not too many people get a 500hp engine dropped in their lap.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 03:31 AM

Not really, the cheapest will be the one that the owner can do most of the work like head porting, valve job, the assembly, the tunning, the selection of the right parts, building the oil pan, oil pick up and so on. That would be the cheapest and, believe me, at 750 hp the small block would cost less money than a Big block because a set of W9 heads are less than half the price of a B1 head for a big block, but still both of them are Mopars so they are both ok in my book.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 08:17 AM

Quote:

Not really, the cheapest will be the one that the owner can do most of the work like head porting, valve job, the assembly, the tunning, the selection of the right parts, building the oil pan, oil pick up and so on. That would be the cheapest and, believe me, at 750 hp the small block would cost less money than a Big block because a set of W9 heads are less than half the price of a B1 head for a big block, but still both of them are Mopars so they are both ok in my book.

You could build 750 hp with old max wedge heads.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 11:57 AM

Quote:

This is true for both type engines, the more work you are capable of doing yourself, the more money you $ave. One important note though, although 750
hp smallbocks MAY be cheaper to build, in some cases, you have to look at the intended usage of that motor at that power level and what type of chasssis it's going in (street/strip car, all-out
drag car, circle track racer, truck, boat etc.) that also determines cost!! This is the same for the 750hp Big Block especially the RB's, since they have a tendancy to have "main cap walk" at that power level or beyond. This makes preventive measures slightly costly, by either starting out with a fresh foundation (improved design block), slick machine work/parts on the older production blocks or adding MORE cubes (stroking) to keep the rpms at a "streetable" (6500 rpm or below) level to offset the stress found at the higher rpms with that amount of hp. IMO they're both
not cheap to build as the hp dial is turned up.
Go cheap if you want, you'll just pay more later
replacing that engine part or maybe the block.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You could build 750 hp with old max wedge heads.

This is true!!

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 01:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[quote

Lets not forget, Jim Scortino, and W7 both stated, HP is HP, with the same HP if optimized it should run the Same ET. Its Physics, right.!

I think you might wanna reread my posts.

Two 500hp engines......engine one peaks at 5000 and is down 50hp by 5500. Engine two makes 500hp at 6000 and is down 50 hp by 7000.

I'll take engine two.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 02:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote

Two 500hp engines......engine one peaks at 5000 and is down 50hp by 5500. Engine two makes 500hp at 6000 and is down 50 hp by 7000.

I'll take engine two.

engine # 2 here.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 02:44 PM

I remember, quite a while ago, it was desired to have an engine be capable of operating at 10% higher rpm than the optimum intended rpm range.

I expect that percentage is somewhat higher nowadays.

reason was.... better performance.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote

I'll take engine two.

Great point!! And, I respect your opinion as well as the example you've provided. The point of higher rpms = more power, VERY debatable. Doesn't WORK for every scenario and WEIGHT is the determining factor. Lesser vehicle weight that the crank moves (in shorter stroke motors), more vehicle speed is gained as rpm increases. Now, if engine #1's TORQUE
peak starts early in the rpm scale and peaks in the upper midrange, keeping an average of ABOVE 500+ ft/lbs of torque, geared CORRECTLY it may offset the smallblocks' topend charge. (Hint: 440 Six Pack).

Re: big block VS small block - 07/26/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote

Great point!! And, I respect your opinion as well as the example you've provided. The point of higher rpms = more power, VERY debatable. Doesn't WORK for every scenario and WEIGHT is the determining factor. Lesser vehicle weight that the crank moves (in shorter stroke motors), more vehicle speed is gained as rpm increases. Now, if engine #1's TORQUE
peak starts early in the rpm scale and peaks in the upper midrange, keeping an average of ABOVE 500+ ft/lbs of torque, geared CORRECTLY it may offset the smallblocks' topend charge. (Hint: 440 Six Pack).

Ahhhh...but I did not say higher rpms "always" equal more power. I simply state that higher USEABLE rpm is more desireable because it allows for the advantage of higher stall speeds and more gear ratio to accelerate the vehicle.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/27/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote

Ahhhh...but I did not say higher rpms "always" equal more power. I simply state that higher USEABLE rpm is more desireable because it allows for the advantage of higher stall speeds and more gear ratio to accelerate the vehicle.

That's my point, you didn't say it. with ya, on the useable rpm it makes good sense.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/27/11 04:03 AM

Quote:

I remember, quite a while ago, it was desired to have an engine be capable of operating at 10% higher rpm than the optimum intended rpm range.

I expect that percentage is somewhat higher nowadays.

reason was.... better performance.

You are probably right. With all these newer "fast action" type cams out there, the "rule of thumb" for rpm definitely changed somewhat.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/27/11 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How 'bout this though

Based on Physics.

If you run the numbers on 3 different HP calculaters they should all be dead nuts on But they wont!

Should be simple math right

Based on Physics,

If both combos are optimized, they should have the exact same HP right, its simple Physics as posted earlier by others

Now comes Theory,

Rehr Morrison theorizes, that if you take the Same HP but apply it at a higher RPM with more mechanical leverage. You will be faster!

Since the SB should rev higher in the above said combo. It therefore must have Less HP then the BB since it ran "only" the same number and not faster!

So the same exact HP, wont produce the Same ET, based on this.

I theorized, as others have that the BB with its wider torque/HP band would be faster then the SB at the same HP. So therefore the SB must have More HP then the BB to run the same number!

So the same exact HP, wont produce the Same ET,
based on this.

No Doubt Physics are involved, it just seems to be to hard to nail down with just the Simple, "MPH to Weight" , "Power band to Stroke" theorys.

IMO, Rehr/Morrisons theory has merit @ 10,000 RPM with more gear leverage.

But, so does the broader powerband scenario @ 6000 RPM, Take your choice with this 11.00 combo.

For the record,
500 HP @ 10,000 RPM is 263# of torque.
500 HP @ 6000 RPM is 438# of torque.

Please Tell me Tig, that you have some Dyno numbers to toss in. And that the Dyno was the same Dyno, not two across town that are a 100 HP different from one another.

These combos dont race down the track at a Fixed RPM HP level!

The easiest Physics of all should be the "weight vs MPH = xxx amount of HP". Why cant All of the various HP calculators agree?

After all, Its simple Physics right.

did any one see the post B1Johnny's 588 B1 PSO Engine on the dyno today?

bring on them n/a small blocks
all thats right they cant make that kind of power n/a.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/27/11 06:19 PM

I wouldn't bet on that I think the right combo with p5 heads could be very close to that with 100 less CI.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/27/11 10:13 PM

Re: big block VS small block - 07/28/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't bet on that I think the right combo with p5 heads could be very close to that with 100 less CI.

When I wear out our Craftman Truck knock-off W8 engine that my brother threw together, we're building a new deal with our "beautiful" raw W8s that will get the latest CFE treatment, or....if we can manage to score an XR block with a blank deck, we'll see if it can take an MBE P5, so we can build it in the mid 400ci range.

If that direction is doable, we'll see what a 470+cfm pro style head can do at 4.250 x 3.875, at 10k rpm, with a couple Braswells on a nice manifold.

Maybe we'll see if a small block can get close to 1200 or not.

Re: big block VS small block - 07/28/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When I wear out our Craftman Truck knock-off W8 engine that my brother threw together, we're building a new deal with our "beautiful" raw W8s that will get the latest CFE treatment, or....if we can manage to score an XR block with a blank deck, we'll see if it can take an MBE P5, so we can build it in the mid 400ci range.

If that direction is doable, we'll see what a 470+cfm pro style head can do at 4.250 x 3.875, at 10k rpm, with a couple Braswells on a nice manifold.

i need to hit the lottery

Re: big block VS small block - 07/28/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All ya gotta do is.....

No wife, no kids, no vacations for at least 35 years and spend every spare penny on car stuff. That'll get most of the way there. Supermarket coupons will take ya the rest of the way.

Re: big block VS small block - 08/11/11 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All ya gotta do is.....

No wife, no kids, no vacations for at least 35 years and spend every spare penny on car stuff. That'll get most of the way there. Supermarket coupons will take ya the rest of the way.

How true!

Posted By: BobR

Re: big block VS small block - 08/11/11 09:43 PM

We went from a very strong SB Ford to a BAE Chrysler based Hemi with hopes of picking up 300 or more HP. What we also hope to get is more reliability and less maintenance costs. Our SB made amazing power but it ate itself up at the boost(45#+) and RPM levels(over 10 grand) that it took to be competitive.

Re: big block VS small block - 08/12/11 03:27 AM

Quote:

But you stated Power not ET in your statement....I am just stating the facts that that old statement of you can not replace cubic inches is old school and antiquated.....

Re: big block VS small block - 08/12/11 01:46 PM

Quote:

We went from a very strong SB Ford to a BAE Chrysler based Hemi with hopes of picking up 300 or more HP. What we also hope to get is more reliability and less maintenance costs. Our SB made amazing power but it ate itself up at the boost(45#+) and RPM levels(over 10 grand) that it took to be competitive.

thats why were mopar guys and not ford

Re: big block VS small block - 08/12/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Our little Ford was never beaten by any type of Mopar. NEVER. We went to the hemi for two reasons. One, it's a purpose built engine that was intended to live with the kind of abuse we give it and Two, I'm a Mopar guy.

Re: big block VS small block - 08/12/11 03:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then why does the NHRA have a cubic in limit for all of their pro classes?

Re: big block VS small block - 08/12/11 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Our little Ford was never beaten by any type of Mopar. NEVER. We went to the hemi for two reasons. One, it's a purpose built engine that was intended to live with the kind of abuse we give it and Two, I'm a Mopar guy.

easy big fella i was being a wiseguy,,lol

Re: big block VS small block - 08/13/11 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then why does the NHRA have a cubic in limit for all of their pro classes?

Sure, since 1960 and no turbos allowed, all school also.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: big block VS small block - 08/15/11 09:47 AM

Quote:

Which one will last longer at the 500hp level? My vote goes to the BB.

The 360 will last longer at the 500hp level. Why? The pistons are 300+ grams lighter, the rods are 150+ grams lighter, the crankshaft is 12 to 13 pounds lighter.

And for the original posters question. Both sb and bb properly set up and at the same weight and the same 500hp, the small block will be the quicker of the two for the same reason that it will last longer, because the lower end rotating parts are lighter, therefore it will accelerate quicker and because the valves and valve train parts are also much lighter, the sm block RPM range will far out extend the RPM range of the big block.

Now you could get some expensive, lightweight parts for the BB but then it will make far more than 500HP.

It is very cheap and easy to make a near stock 500HP 440 with mild porting, cam, and bolt-ons, but it is like a hand grenade with the pin out.

On the other hand it is probably not likely to get 500hp from a near stock 360 with mild porting, cam, and bolt-ons as none ever came factory with any compression, much better chance with a 340, but would be a much more difficult task, [extensive porting] than the big block.

There are some very wicked small blocks that can lay down some unbelievable numbers but if the same effort is applied to a larger c.i. big block it will most definetly out perform the small block. A good example is the 500c.i. prostock engines, Pre--HEMI 99, cause were not talking HEMIS here.

Alot of different views and opinions for a simple post and I see i am very late to this much debated topic.

Re: big block VS small block - 08/15/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

easy big fella i was being a wiseguy,,lol

Sorry. I got carried away.

Re: big block VS small block - 12/25/11 02:05 PM

Merry Christmas!
© 2024 Moparts Forums