Moparts

Is a .50 volt drop form alt to battery in trunk ok???

Posted By: Dartman928

Is a .50 volt drop form alt to battery in trunk ok??? - 07/05/11 02:43 AM

Just got the car running on sat with the new alt. and took some readings. I have .50 volt drop from the alt. to the battery in the trunk. Wanted to make sure everything is ok

Posted By: Leon441

Re: Is a .50 volt drop form alt to battery in trunk ok??? - 07/05/11 02:49 AM

If the battery is fully charged to maximum capacity you will not see this. But, that rarely is the case. So yes the drop is normal. Your battery is a resister and the wire feeding from the alternator has some resistance too. The larger the wire you run and the better the contacts are the less drop. But, you will always have something if the alternator is indeed charging.

Leon
Posted By: markz528

Re: Is a .50 volt drop form alt to battery in trunk ok??? - 07/05/11 03:47 AM

Quote:

If the battery is fully charged to maximum capacity you will not see this. But, that rarely is the case. So yes the drop is normal. Your battery is a resister and the wire feeding from the alternator has some resistance too. The larger the wire you run and the better the contacts are the less drop. But, you will always have something if the alternator is indeed charging.

Leon

Is that with the starter engaged turning the engine over?
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Is a .50 volt drop form alt to battery in trunk ok??? - 07/05/11 04:30 AM

Quote:

Leon

Thanks Leon

I run a 6 gauge from the alt. to the master power switch and 1/0 welding wire from the battery to the switch to the for solenoid under the dash. I just want to make sure I am getting everything I am supposed to from the alt. to the battery.

Thank you
© 2024 Moparts Forums