Moparts

lightweight race wheels?

Posted By: 68Bullit

lightweight race wheels? - 07/01/11 09:18 PM

Looking for lightweight race wheels for the back of my 68' Charger. I've got a set of Telstar Eliminator 17" wheels on the back now and I'd like to avoid the extra hassle of switching out street tires to drag radials on the same rim each time I go to the track.

If I buy wheels, I want the lightest rim I can buy for the money. Is there anything affordable and under 15 lbs. each wheel? One wheel I've looked at is the Weld Wheels Draglite. But I haven't found the weight of this wheel. I am flexible on wheel size and I don't have to have a 17" wheel. I will settle for a good 15x8 wheel, or other size if necessary, just don't want to "break the bank", and also get away with as least weight as I can.

Thanks
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/01/11 09:38 PM

Holeshot Wheels has a wide variety of styles and offsets, but as with most lightweight race wheels, the lighter they are, the more they cost! Their 8" - 10" wide wheels are in the 10 - 12 lb range.

Holeshot Wheels

But another problem is that they are "race" wheels and not sold for street use because they, like other light wheels, don't take well to a "normal" street environment, which includes potholes, curbs, sudden turns, etc. B-bodies are fairly heavy so that aggrevates the situation. Some people do run "race only" wheels on the street, but cautiously and at their own risk.

If you carry a spare set of lighter wheels, you can also use softer compound tires which will help traction when you go to the track, but wear out quicker on the street. But then you also have to worry about changing them and safely storing the street wheels somewhere while racing.

There is no simple solution.
Posted By: Islandcuda

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 03:13 PM

I have a set of very light weight Bogarts for sale if interested, Tim
Posted By: therocks

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 03:28 PM

I have the Weld Pro Stars.They are pretty light and hold up on the street.The Convapros are also light.Rocky
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 04:27 PM

is there a lighter wheel than this these
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

I don't have the numbers handy, but some of the newer race wheels are lighter and, more importantly, stronger. But even at the race track, race wheels can crack & fail.

I've seen the center pull out of a rear wheel when one guy drove around a corner after getting his time slip and another developed a crack which me and the owner heard while talking in the staging lanes.

Lots to consider.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

They sure don't make them like they use to, that's for sure.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 05:42 PM

X2 for Holeshots have them on the back of our Charger
Posted By: ro23car

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 06:02 PM

i have sanders wheels very lightweight.
Posted By: BobR

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 08:15 PM

Quote:

Bogarts.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: lightweight race wheels? - 07/02/11 09:32 PM

The 15 X 10 Weld Draglites on my Dart weighed 13 lb 14 oz on my scales. IIRC the advertised weight on 15 X 10 Billet Specialties is arounf 15 lbs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums