Moparts

another horrific crash

Posted By: B1KILLER

another horrific crash - 06/28/11 06:23 AM

Go to around 220
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNiNhvINrk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 06:29 AM

Those are the crashes that can keep you awake at night.
Any idea on how the drivers doing ?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 07:02 AM

Quote:

Those are the crashes that can keep you awake at night.
Any idea on how the drivers doing ?

I hope he's okay. But the vid backs up why I dont like to build in a big and long wheel stand into a combo. While its more impressive, its just not as safe. But no doubt, big and long wheel stands are cool and awesume.

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 07:17 AM

That steel guard rail didn't help either.
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 10:57 AM

Quote:

That steel guard rail didn't help either.

I'll take the cement guard rail over getting air that way. I hope that guy walked away.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 11:15 AM

Ouch....
Posted By: jughed

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 12:17 PM

Quote:

Ouch....

is that in reference to the crash, or the Michael Jackson music in the video??
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 03:55 PM

That's exactly why many guys with expensive fast cars will not run at a track with guard rails. They are a launching pad!!! Hope he's OK!!!!!
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 04:32 PM

All that's missing is a freeze frame with Waylon's voice asking how the boys are going to get out of this one ...
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 05:08 PM

Was anybody at Capital Raceway over the weekend. A beautiful 57 Chevy blower car hit the wall and had a small fire. By the time the track crew got there WITHOUT fire extinguishers the car was a total loss. The other racers were bringning in their fire bottles but it was to late. The driver was ok thank goodness. As racers we often assume the track has things in hand but mayby it is time to start asking more questions.
Todd
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 08:32 PM

What's with all the people in the staging lanes...? Selling crack or what?
Posted By: preddy

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 08:41 PM

Quote:

Was anybody at Capital Raceway over the weekend. A beautiful 57 Chevy blower car hit the wall and had a small fire. By the time the track crew got there WITHOUT fire extinguishers the car was a total loss. The other racers were bringning in their fire bottles but it was to late. The driver was ok thank goodness. As racers we often assume the track has things in hand but mayby it is time to start asking more questions.
Todd

I was there... The you can see videos of that crash here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2D2rDYJ6g&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkPMewT3Zk&NR=1

They had fire extinguishers in the videos. I don't know why they didn't use the truck tank. There's various rumors floating around why that didn't happen.

I wonder, and this is just me speculating, if that 57 Chevy's electric fuel pump just kept on pumping after the crash and that fed the fire. In the videos, you can see a track employee go behind the car and possibly hit the master cut off but the flames picked up.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 08:46 PM

the wheelstand reminded me of brownsugar's cuda @ atco..hope the guys ok..those are the rail like they have at island in nj

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 08:52 PM

Quote:

the wheelstand reminded me of brownsugar's cuda @ atco..hope the guys ok..those are the rail like they have at island in nj

That's why when some1 here asked about Island, I said Hell

no, I feel safer racing the Hutchison River Pkwy, call me crazy.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 09:24 PM

Yeah I guess I phrased that wrong. I meant to say without ENOUGH fire bottles.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 09:25 PM

Unless you're a Pro in a championship race with millions of dollars on the line, why don't guys just back off on a bad pass?

Much better to loose a race and save the car, or even a life, than to push a bad position and think you can hero your way outta it. Especially when the only thing on the line is a plastic trophy and a few hundred bucks.
Posted By: Todd

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 09:41 PM

Quote:

Unless you're a Pro in a championship race with millions of dollars on the line, why don't guys just back off on a bad pass?

Much better to loose a race and save the car, or even a life, than to push a bad position and think you can hero your way outta it. Especially when the only thing on the line is a plastic trophy and a few hundred bucks.

Couldn't agree with you more. All the time it took to build a car like that and its gone because of a bad decision.
Posted By: theraif

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 09:59 PM

Posted By: preddy

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 10:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah I guess I phrased that wrong. I meant to say without ENOUGH fire bottles.

I think there's merit in your original point. They never used the tank in the track's fire truck. That might have saved the car... They only used the hand held extinguishers and those didn't really dent the fire. I'm guessing a fuel line might have been severed and/or the electric fuel pump may have continued to feed the fire.

I have to give the responders some credit for getting so close to a dangerous situation and getting the driver out. You can hear the spectators screaming at them to get away from the burning car. That takes a certain amount of courage to approach a burning car that could explode at any second. They didn't appear to be wearing any kind of flame retardant clothes themselves.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: another horrific crash - 06/28/11 10:44 PM

Quote:

although, i would have lifted...that there is grudge racing guys....big money betting usually on the line for races like that.... no trophy or sportsman type purse. a lot of those races are 5k and more
Posted By: GTXX

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 01:48 AM

The '57 had lost by the time he caught second gear and it looks like that he did let out when it started bouncing after the shift. That is(was) one ill handling car, just wondering if was one of those built for looks but doesn't do well on the track cars.

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 04:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

although, i would have lifted...that there is grudge racing guys....big money betting usually on the line for races like that.... no trophy or sportsman type purse. a lot of those races are 5k and more

There was big $$$ on dat race.
Very few grudge racers let off,
It's all in or Nada...
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 07:25 AM

He should have LET OFF and taken the loss.
Now he does have NADA!!!
And he lost all the bet money also.
Very Expensive Race!!!
Can you say Double Wammy.
David
Posted By: BobR

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 02:15 PM

Quote:

Now he does have NADA!!!
Very Expensive Race!!!
David

Looks to me that he NEVER lifted-even when it was crashing. Maybe the throttle stuck but he was under power when he shot across the track and vaulted over the guard rail.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Now he does have NADA!!!
Very Expensive Race!!!
David

easier said then done!! if ur competative person..even pro's peddle...ps ur crazy to peddle a NO2 car
Posted By: justinp61

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 06:04 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want my car on the back wheels near that long, especially in a big dollar grudge race.
Posted By: CRT

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 06:21 PM

Last Sunday at US41 a Duster rolled in the corn

http://www.artactiongraphics.com/photos_us-NLR_2_06-26-11_1.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 06:59 PM

Speedworld guard rail completely impailed a Chevelle and was hanging 35 feet out the back of the car when the car finally came to rest. Ambulance wouldn't start, no fire extinguishers on the rescue truck and not enough extinguishers on property. Small fire(went out by itself) Driver is sore, but okay. Speedworld continued racing the "Bottle Babies" after installing 4 10 foot concrete "K" rails to fill a 165 gap left by the crash.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: another horrific crash - 06/29/11 10:21 PM

Quote:

[Looks to me that he NEVER lifted-even when it was crashing. Maybe the throttle stuck but he was under power when he shot across the track and vaulted over the guard rail.

It was definately IMO under power when it shot across the track. But it seemed to me it was off when he hit the wall, but back on after bounced off of it. Maybe he hit the gas by mistake, or the impact wedged it back on somehow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums