Moparts

Hilborn carb hats..............................

Posted By: Thumperdart

Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 06:23 PM

I`m thinking about ditching my 6-pac hood/scoop combo and gettin a flat pin on and sticking the hilborn hat through it. Do these actually work or are they for looks? I want my air inlet higher and figured this was an easy way to do it. Thankxxxx...........
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 07:32 PM

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:04 PM

Not injector hats but the single piece like you see on blower motors or tunnel ram setups and like the one 6packgut has.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:06 PM

I have one on top of my two 750's. Works fine.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:18 PM

Quote:

i have never really experimented with my hat because its a real pain to take off and on but i made a new base for mine and made a few mods to make it easier so i plan on it as soon as this car is done
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:25 PM

I have always liked that scoop.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:27 PM

Thankxx guys.............just figured it looks better than my current scoop and would think it would actually perform better too.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i have never really experimented with my hat because its a real pain to take off and on but i made a new base for mine and made a few mods to make it easier so i plan on it as soon as this car is done

Well I took the easy route and drilled the top, put on two wing nuts and sealed the bottom.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:34 PM

dom it's not real! it bolts down onto a 4 barrel carb .. its an aircleaner assembly

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

dom it's not real! it bolts down onto a 4 barrel carb .. its an aircleaner assembly

No filters in mine, just the scoop but it did come with filters and an inlet screen, I tossed that crap though.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

What do u mean it`s not real? I`ll never run w/out an air cleaner again and figured I`d get a small k&n to filter out the junk.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/24/11 09:41 PM

well its functional anyways! there is an aircleaner thats on top of the carb and that unit encases over the aircleaner/carb thats hidden inside! yes the stacks are open for air to enter!
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/25/11 12:57 AM

I just picked one of these up on ebay Link for Scoop

I was going to put it on my roadster but I can't bring myself to cut the hood. If your interested I'll save you a couple bucks.

feel free to email me at bemiller@insight.rr.com if interested

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/25/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

I just picked one of these up on ebay Link for Scoop

I was going to put it on my roadster but I can't bring myself to cut the hood. If your interested I'll save you a couple bucks.

feel free to email me at bemiller@insight.rr.com if interested

I really like that one much better and it looks lighter.........
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/25/11 02:15 AM

Yeah I thought it looked very cool but I just can't cut a hole in my hood.

I think I paid $100 for it. Hows $80 sound? Comes with air filter and brackets to bolt to the carb.

I might try it and just leave the hood off.
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/25/11 02:25 AM

Go to Rex marines web site. That scoop is around $150 brand new. Can also get it an a wide varity of ano. Colors.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 12:26 AM

Here's a pic of mine. The reason I used it is because I put a cowl scoop on the hood to cover just the single carb. Then I put the tunnel ram on and after modifying the hood for the cowl scoop I can't go back. So not having the money to buy another hood and scoop I just cut the hole and put this on it.

You've probably seen this pic already and I hate to keep posting it but I lost a lot of pics when my confuser crashed so I'm limited on what I can show you.

Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 03:00 AM

IMHO, those scoops look at home only on dual quad tunnel rams and blowers. If you really want to run that kind of a scoop, it can give you the excuse to switch to a TR setup. No down side to running a TR on a street/strip car, except maybe gas mileage.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 04:46 AM

They have a shorter version also for single carb setups. In the small number of times the performance history of those hats came up. It was always positive. Ive got one myself for a single carb setup after Much research.

The other scoop pictured looks like it would perform well too.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 01:55 PM

I found another pic

Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

I found another pic

Nice car! Never seen it here before....

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/26/11 06:11 PM

Quote:

IMHO, those scoops look at home only on dual quad tunnel rams and blowers. If you really want to run that kind of a scoop, it can give you the excuse to switch to a TR setup. No down side to running a TR on a street/strip car, except maybe gas mileage.

I don`t want a tunnel ram and I`ve seen it on some fast cars w/a single carb so was wondering if anyone on here had any sucess w/it and I see someone has. I thaught about the earlier one offered on here but didn`t think it would look at home on a mopar.

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/28/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

Nice car! Never seen it here before....

Well thank you very much!

Quote:

I don`t want a tunnel ram and I`ve seen it on some fast cars w/a single carb so was wondering if anyone on here had any sucess w/it and I see someone has.

Yeah, I didn't want a tunnel ram either but after talking with several guys that were running them and how consistent they were I changed my mind and just went for it. Besides if you are already sticking something out of your hood what's the difference? Especially when they are worth about 30 HP.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/28/11 03:51 AM

Dom,i see clear box style scoops on alot of cars these days. I think the Black Regal Monte wrenches on has one. i think they look pretty cool

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/28/11 07:54 AM

Quote:

Dom,i see clear box style scoops on alot of cars these days. I think the Black Regal Monte wrenches on has one. i think they look pretty cool

yea you see that alot over on the bullet! think its just plexiglass screwed together maybe...
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Hilborn carb hats.............................. - 06/28/11 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thumperdart:
I don`t want a tunnel ram and I`ve seen it on some fast cars w/a single carb so was wondering if anyone on here had any sucess w/it and I see someone has.

Quote:

GuitarJones:
Yeah, I didn't want a tunnel ram either but after talking with several guys that were running them and how consistent they were I changed my mind and just went for it. Besides if you are already sticking something out of your hood what's the difference? Especially when they are worth about 30 HP.

+ I have an awesome polished Weiand "B" tunnel ram that would be a nice fit on your 470....
© 2024 Moparts Forums