Moparts

How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers?

Posted By: ADakotaRTGuy

How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 06:23 PM

Would I be able to take off the flange from a set of W5 headers and make a set work on W9's? Are they close enough that a good fabricator can make them work? Are the port heights the same?

Any thoughts?
Posted By: fishy340

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 06:53 PM

no brother,ur gonna have to spend the $ on custom set.

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 06:58 PM

Ah, the set were custom made for my model truck but for W5's, thought I would be able to use them on my truck if I changed out the flange and adjusted the upper pipes some.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 08:46 PM

I used the same headers off a W2 combo on my Arrington heads. I would think you could probably cut the flange and change it over. I'd think the ports are a little higher in the W9. Only one way to tell put the engine in the truck and see how close it is.

Leon
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 08:51 PM

Do you have a picture of them you can post....i have a set of w8 a-body headers that i wanted to try and make work on a set of w5s. completely backwards from what you want to do, LOL.

howard

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 08:53 PM

Not right now I don't, I will try to get some later.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 09:57 PM

Well I can tell you tomorrow how far off each is...
the W-9 has a completely different bolt pattern so
you would have to make adapters for sure

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 09:59 PM

That would be great. I would just skip adapters and see if a new flange would work. I know from the center port to the end port its about a .2 difference, not sure on the inner ports though.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 10:00 PM

another thing that may be a problem depending on design is sparkplugg location, W5 looks like a regular smallblock while the W9 is more like a SBC in that view
Posted By: Leon441

Re: How close are the dimentions for W5 and W9 headers? - 06/16/11 10:36 PM

Quote:

another thing that may be a problem depending on design is sparkplugg location, W5 looks like a regular smallblock while the W9 is more like a SBC in that view

This was the biggest reason I had new headers made back in the day. The #2 tube completely blocked access to the #2 plug on the Arringtons. Made a really trick tool to get that plug out in the mean time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums