Moparts

did i hur t the engine

Posted By: modified1090

did i hur t the engine - 06/12/11 04:10 PM

yesterday on my 3rd time run i poped the driveshaft on the launch. engine hit the rev limiter i didn't see how high the tach went but assume it may have gone over the 7k i had in it.
now my first response after the deal was to put my spare short block and the backup trans in the car before going back out.
i am still going to do the trans and send the converter for further inspection, but what about the engine. if i pull the push rods and check for straightness and maybe measure the end play on the crank to check the thrust bearing, do you guys think i need to pull the engine?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/12/11 04:11 PM

Is the engine running differently now than before this happened ?
Posted By: modified1090

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/12/11 04:14 PM

i shut it off right away and have not started it since
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/12/11 04:21 PM

I would doubt you hurt it... thats why you have the
rev limiter... fire it up and check it out
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/13/11 12:55 AM

do you have a leak down guage or compression gauge? If so pull all the plugs and do a test first, if there all good and there are no obvious leaks or holes in the block start it up and see how it idles ands runs. Defineitely check the trans rear sprague and converter for your own piece of mind
Posted By: dartman366

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/13/11 02:30 AM

do a leak down, pull the valve covers and check the spring's and push rod's then start it up and listen carefully, and then pull the oil filter and look it over carefully,, if you had a 7000 chip in it, then you probably didn't hurt anything, but if it makes a unfamiliar noise or shows crap in the filter then you know what you need to do, keep us informed.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/13/11 02:42 AM

What kind of a engine do you run? I shift my 440 stroker at 6800 , limiter set at 7200. I've broken the trans a few times and bounced off the limiter with no ill effects.
Posted By: BLONDE BARRACUDA

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/13/11 03:32 AM

Ive heard that the actual rpm is a couple hundred under the rev chip you are useing, not sure why you are thinking you hurt anything, good luck anyway
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: did i hur t the engine - 06/13/11 04:53 AM

Pull the covers and run lash.. Should be common practice, and indicate possible damage.
Looks good fire it up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums