Moparts

440 source roller rockers who runs them?

Posted By: shoebox

440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 03:59 AM

i know its been beat to death but the big block rocker arm choices keep on going and i know that td/jesel/harland sharps are the best.

i am on a super budget and the 440 source rockers are in the price range.... any miles on them?? rd rather have a "bushed" rocker but the you hear too many bad things about the kmj or proforms. ive seen some guys run roller cams with the source rockers.. theres got to be some feedback by now! cam is solid with 325 open pressure
Posted By: tex013

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 11:31 AM

hey shoebox,
i used a set about 2 years ago on a customers car,he wanted it now not in two weeks.poor quality,came undone and threw a couple of pushrods - twice - whilst running the cam in.first time thought maybe i was faulty - second time i replaced them.adjuster screw locknuts wern't square to rocker adjuster ball showed wear/flat spots.this was with a purple 528(?)cam.
i run Crane golds in my motor,put Hughes rockers in the customers motor
the supplier did come to the party and refunded on them after a little argy bargy
good luck
Tex

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 02:01 PM

thanks for the reply.. thats cool.. im not going to get them. i dont like the bearings anyway. the proforms are on sale right now at jegs for 209 i might buy them just to see the fit and finish and if their not good send them back. i talked to one of their tech guys while back and he is a mopar guy with a 10 second RR (493) and he said they would be ok with under 450ish pressure and they did have some issues in the past. but they got them worked out and better adjusters etc etc. they are bushed now too. hummm
Posted By: Old School

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 02:19 PM

Quote:

thanks for the reply.. thats cool.. im not going to get them. i dont like the bearings anyway. the proforms are on sale right now at jegs for 209 i might buy them just to see the fit and finish and if their not good send them back. i talked to one of their tech guys while back and he is a mopar guy with a 10 second RR (493) and he said they would be ok with under 450ish pressure and they did have some issues in the past. but they got them worked out and better adjusters etc etc. they are bushed now too. hummm

$200.00 rocker arms... i would just run stock ones...
Posted By: Runner

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 02:40 PM

why not use a set of crane or isky iron rockers?
Posted By: 383man

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

$200.00 rocker arms... i would just run stock ones...

I would check into the Proforms as I have heard some bad things about them. I would either use Ductile iron rockers or spring the $350 and up for a good rockers. The eng I just put in my 63 is the first time I have ever used roller rockers as the ductile iron rockers have done good for me over the years. Sure good rollers are the best but you will pay a bit for good rollers. I ended up using Hughes roller rockers in my 493 that my brother had bought but ended up he didn't need them as his cust had already bought rockers. They are working great for me and he paid just over $400 I believe. Good luck , Ron

These are the Hughes I used.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 02:46 PM

Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 04:24 PM

I've said it before but it does bare repeating.
"Rocker arms are probably the worst possible thing to buy the cheapest you can find". If you absolutely must have roller rockers then avoid anything that costs less than $500. RAS, Crane, Hughes, Sharpe, T&D, and Jessel are worth looking at. If you have less than .600 lift then ductile iron rockers from Isky or Crane will last forever on a decent set of hard shafts and can often be found in good used condition about as cheap as the Chinese junk rockers.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 06:46 PM

Quote:

"Rocker arms are probably the worst possible thing to buy the cheapest you can find". If you absolutely must have roller rockers then avoid anything that costs less than $500. RAS, Crane, Hughes, Sharpe, T&D, and Jessel are worth looking at. If you have less than .600 lift then ductile iron rockers from Isky or Crane will last forever on a decent set of hard shafts and can often be found in good used condition about as cheap as the Chinese junk rockers.

I agree one should run a quality rocker considering the task they have to do, my preference are the Harland Sharps. But I would temper the recommendation of the Crane ductile iron rockers, these traditionally have been reliable however..
About 4 years back before Crane when out of biz and while Mopar was selling a set of these they had some bad production runs of these that were not properly hardened and were defective..
So check carefully before putting down the $...

Just my $0.02...

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 07:13 PM

I had a set of ductile cores to send to ras but total investment
Would have been 450ish and for that money you can have a good
Set of roller rockers that arent going to scrub the valves

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 07:33 PM

Makes me want to go hydraulic! Probably just as fast with HD stamped
Rockers! Someone buy this solid cam lol
Posted By: Runner

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree one should run a quality rocker considering the task they have to do, my preference are the Harland Sharps. But I would temper the recommendation of the Crane ductile iron rockers, these traditionally have been reliable however..
About 4 years back before Crane when out of biz and while Mopar was selling a set of these they had some bad production runs of these that were not properly hardened and were defective..

Just my $0.02...

my understanding is, it was the adjusters that were soft not the rockers, thats why i bought smith brothers adjusters when i bought my crane iron rockers
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/09/11 09:25 PM

I've been running them for about 5 years now. The quality is not too good, and I'm planning on replacing them next month with Comp's Pro Magnum roller rockers. I've seen quite a few posts here on Moparts about them (and photographs!) that just scare me. I'm sure someone will post some carnage photos soon...
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 12:13 AM

i used a set on a customer engine at his insistence. that was about 4 years and maybe 1000 miles or so? the shafts were full of polishing compound. I MEAN FULL! the quality was scary. i don't know why people spend $1500.00 on a good crank, 800.00 on good pistons, and then cry about spending money WHERE MOST FAILURES OCCUR!
Posted By: sam64

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 01:05 AM

then go buy andy f's book and look at all the variances between manufactures and you'll scratch your head a little more.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 02:20 AM

Looks like nothing works for you guys, only the high dollars parts. I've been using 440 source rocker in a customer's car with a roller cam and 630 lift. It's a low 10 second car at 3500 lbs. The arms have been there for almost two years with no problems at all and that car races almost twice a month.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.02...

my understanding is, it was the adjusters that were soft not the rockers, thats why i bought smith brothers adjusters when i bought my crane iron rockers

No...
The rocker tips were not hardened properly, the valve stems would eat in by several 0.00s...
Had extensive discussions with both Mopar and Crane even with their engineer @ SEMA, Crane just blew it off...

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 04:55 AM

I didnt read much of the other replies, but the Source Rockers use to be roller bearing... I would avoid these like a plague...
Look at these...
http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=445&cat=11233617&page=1
Id try these on a hyd, or small solid engine.
Posted By: topside

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 05:20 AM

Bob, there's been a couple of threads about bad experiences with those KMJ rockers; I've bought other stuff from them that was fine, and was looking at those in 1.6, but after reading those threads I'm looking at the Indy bushed aluminum roller-tip setup or the KMJ stainless setup. Ductile iron would be OK for my new 440 project, though they don't appear to be available as a kit with shafts & hardware.
Posted By: rebel

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 11:46 AM

i built up a big block for my lawyers Jensen & used the source rocker arms. that was 3 years ago & he drives his jensen everywhere. to date he hasn't been back to say he had a problem. & with the spacers & hold downs there's no way the roller bearings can fall out so you can put an end to that myth.
Posted By: AutoEngineer

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/10/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

Here's an great example of cheap chinese craftsmanship, a Proform rocker arm. In some of the oil passages were small pieces of stones...
Never used them and took back to the seller

Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/11/11 11:51 AM

my buddy has a T&D (might be Jessel) rocker sitting in his toolbox that broke in half.

should we avoid those?

I ran an OLD set of well USED Dove rockers on my engine for a few years --- worked great. (those are $425 a set new) .

Now Ive got a set of used Harlands on my engine--no problems---EXCEPT one adjuster nut cracked apart and nearly went to pieces.

should we avoid Harland Sharp too ??

Posted By: Old School

Re: 440 source roller rockers who runs them? - 06/11/11 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here's an great example of cheap chinese craftsmanship, a Proform rocker arm. In some of the oil passages were small pieces of stones...
Never used them and took back to the seller

yeah you get what you pay for...even saying "but they only cost $200.00" still does not make up for that kind of cheep crap....

© 2024 Moparts Forums