Moparts

Trans update ***pictures***

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/06/11 04:27 AM

well started the process of yanking the trans. Got under the car and the tail shaft is in about 5 pieces. Looked back w/ the light as I was pulling the x-member bolts and it appears it puked a cap on the drive shaft. That's why I felt the vibration get stronger and stronger I guess. Still going to pull it (maybe tomorrow) and see if anything else broke. Might not of even been the trans. every thing is done except the convert bolts and rear u-joit. It's a mess for sure.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 06:24 AM

Sounds like you got very lucky you and your car made the pass safe.

How do you like the cowl on your car? Can you double stack your air cleaners with that?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 07:12 AM

Quote:

well started the process of yanking the trans. Got under the car and the tail shaft is in about 5 pieces. Looked back w/ the light as I was pulling the x-member bolts and it appears it puked a cap on the drive shaft. That's why I felt the vibration get stronger and stronger I guess. Still going to pull it (maybe tomorrow) and see if anything else broke. Might not of even been the trans. every thing is done except the convert bolts and rear u-joit. It's a mess for sure.

Make sure and check the output shaft for straightness before reusing it Second thing is to make sure that the trans is the only thing hurt

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:12 PM

"How do you like the cowl on your car? Can you double stack your air cleaners with that?"
Yes I could stack 2, going to run a 3" K&N. I like it. I will look better when it's body color.

Quote:

Quote:

Make sure and check the output shaft for straightness before reusing it Second thing is to make sure that the trans is the only thing hurt

Yeah the trans is going to get yanked and inspected. Still might upgrade while it's out.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:16 PM

I had a friends 66 Coronet that lost a cap last year. It bent the output shaft big time.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:23 PM

All that just for a simple little U-joint... bummer

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:38 PM

one

Attached picture 6669079-1.jpg

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:38 PM

Attached picture 6669080-2.jpg

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 01:39 PM

three

Attached picture 6669084-3.jpg
Posted By: dc426

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 02:06 PM

Ouch! I'll bet it's gonna have a bent tailshaft Good thing you didn't have a mishap after that let go!

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 02:54 PM

Quote:

Ouch! I'll bet it's gonna have a bent tailshaft Good thing you didn't have a mishap after that let go!

no kidding. Good thing I have a drive shaft loop! I think it was bouncing off of it and that's the only reason it didn't come completly apart.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/06/11 04:45 PM

did anyone mention pinion angle
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/06/11 05:08 PM

Quote:

I knew you could be counted on
Posted By: dc426

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 05:56 PM

Hunter let me know what you will need. I have a ton of 727 stuff.
dc

Re: Trans update *** - 06/06/11 08:03 PM

Quote:

Hunter let me know what you will need. I have a ton of 727 stuff.
dc

will do. Thanx.

and yes I will be checking the pinion angle
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/06/11 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I knew you could be counted on

heck somebody has to say it
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 02:55 AM

are u using solid u-joints??

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

no should I be?
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no should I be?

I run solid u joints. When I had my drive shaft cut and rebuilt, the shop owner told me that solids are at least 3 times stronger than an equal sized grease-able joint.

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no should I be?

I run solid u joints. When I had my drive shaft cut and rebuilt, the shop owner told me that solids are at least 3 times stronger than an equal sized grease-able joint.

The u-joint didn't break the cap fell off...I guess maybe the clip broke or something. The joint looks fine except for the missing cap and some marks from the loop
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 04:33 PM

If you run grease joints make certain that the web with the joint is in compression, not being pulled away

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/07/11 05:15 PM

I'm using Spicer U-joints...Aren't they pretty good?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/08/11 02:42 AM

denny's drive shaft made a shaft for me & said to run solid joints. greaseable joints are rifel drilled thus are weaker. makes sense don't it. i did break a greaseable joint once. that was enough for me. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/08/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no should I be?

The u-joint didn't break the cap fell off...I guess maybe the clip broke or something. The joint looks fine except for the missing cap and some marks from the loop

Which end did the cap come off on? I had a cup come out on the pinion shaft joint on the starting line It ended up that I had spread the new Spicer forged steel rear pinion yoke apart It didn't look like anything was wrong to start with, once I tried to install a new U joint I found that one cup on the pinion yoke a tiny bit loose Just enough to let the interior keeper pop off

Re: Trans update ***pictures*** - 06/08/11 12:18 PM

"Which end did the cap come off on? I had a cup come out on the pinion shaft joint on the starting line It ended up that I had spread the new Spicer forged steel rear pinion yoke apart It didn't look like anything was wrong to start with, once I tried to install a new U joint I found that one cup on the pinion yoke a tiny bit loose Just enough to let the interior keeper pop off"

Front u-joint right behind the trans is the one that lost a cap. I'm guessing the keeper snaped off when I got out of the throttle and that's when it all started coming apart.
© 2024 Moparts Forums