Moparts

Choosing a back space for wheels?

Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

Choosing a back space for wheels? - 06/05/11 09:36 AM

Getting ready to send the car out for chassis work, rearend housing and have to choose a back space for a "16x"16 rim. Just wondering what would the optimum back space would be? Besides allowing for brakes and all. I would think it would be center, but thats not offered, so their must be more to it.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Choosing a back space for wheels? - 06/05/11 09:43 AM

well if the rear isnt done yeat just buy the wheel you like and have them cut rear to fit wheel! I like a deep dish wheel look myself! less housing etc. also = less weight... you need to factor in per say 2" drums or 3' drums or discs being used.... good luck!
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Choosing a back space for wheels? - 06/05/11 09:55 AM

If the 16" wide wheel is all that you can ever imagine on the car go with the minimum back spacing. The wheel will weigh the same no matter what the back spacing is. The narrower you can make the rearend housing with the least backspaced wheel the lighter it will be. Plus the shorter axle is stronger.

If you think their is a chance you may run a class requiring a narrower tire or you just changed your mind. You would want to run more backspacing to leave the option to run a narrower wheel. I run into this on my car as I run everything from a 12" wheel to a 15" wheel. The minimum backspacing on a 12" is 3".

From what I am reading a shelf stock 16X16 only comes 5" or 6" backspacing. Not going to be much difference either way.

Leon
Posted By: BIGBLOCK_KAT

Re: Choosing a back space for wheels? - 06/05/11 10:30 AM

Quote:

If the 16" wide wheel is all that you can ever imagine on the car go with the minimum back spacing. The wheel will weigh the same no matter what the back spacing is. The narrower you can make the rearend housing with the least backspaced wheel the lighter it will be. Plus the shorter axle is stronger.

If you think their is a chance you may run a class requiring a narrower tire or you just changed your mind. You would want to run more backspacing to leave the option to run a narrower wheel. I run into this on my car as I run everything from a 12" wheel to a 15" wheel. The minimum backspacing on a 12" is 3".

From what I am reading a shelf stock 16X16 only comes 5" or 6" backspacing. Not going to be much difference either way.

Leon

Thanks for the insight Leon. I thought about the shorter axles, but didn't take into consideration about possibly going to a wider tire..10.5" is the narrowest I'd use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums