Moparts

It's not looking good for testing this weekend.

Posted By: joshking440

It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:00 AM

Well Friday I chewed up a rocker due to a pushrod cup that broke. Looked like it had gotten hot, but couldn't tell if it was before or after the carnage.

Took the other valve cover off and found the first 4 pushrods smoked. I mean black. So bad the adjusters were mushroomed out and the cups on the pushrods were distorted to match the mushroomed adjusters.

Looks like I may have turned a cam bearing and im now not getting the oil supply i need up to the rockers. I will run the primer rod tomorrow and confirm, but I'm not sure if there is another avenue to check.

I ordered smith bros pushrods and adjusters, I'm going to have to polish one of the rocker shafts, I hope I haven't hurt any valve springs in all of this.

If i did turn a cam bearing im going to obviously replace that and I'm guessing the cam as well.

And i have to try to get this all done before next Friday. This blows.

Sorry for the rant.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:39 AM

Josh,everyone will understand if it doesn't all come together,we all know how bad you want to make the June race.Sometimes things aren't ment to be and are out of our controll...We still don't have the fish back together and may not get to test either until the Friday before the race...Gary
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:45 AM

Don't give up!!!

But you can ad me to the no test time list. I won't have mine on the dyno till sat. After that its load it up and test wherever this race is!

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:47 AM

Can we get a cam fast bob?

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:51 AM

maybe. email me your specs. I have one that might be close.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:52 AM

Best of luck to you on getting it back together....
bummer it happen right before your race...well at
least you found it now
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:57 AM

Josh,
Put a list up of exactly what you need or at least e-mail it to me.If I have anything you need,it's yours.Hell,I will even run it down to you.
Just let me know.
Keith
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 03:59 AM

Hey Josh......You can always go to the Indy test session next Wednesday with the Fuel cars .....I'll probably be there with Rob Flynn.....

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 04:25 AM

If my car has no chance of being together or its somehow done, I will be there hangin out with the DSR guys, pretending to be important....
Posted By: fishy340

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 06:22 PM

that blows,but dont go mayday to rush it,,if its meant to be,its meant to be. good luck to all u guys that are going
Posted By: 383man

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 09:23 PM

Sorry to hear that Josh. Good luck with it. Ron
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 09:45 PM

Quote:

Don't give up!!!

But you can ad me to the no test time list. I won't have mine on the dyno till sat. After that its load it up and test wherever this race is!

DYNO ???

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't give up!!!

DYNO ???

I took my car out a few weeks ago and it decided to eat the carb vent tube. I tore it apart fixed it and decided to throw fuel injection on it. I will finish it up tomorrow night and then throw some kind of tune in it on sat. No time to go to the track after that so if all goes well sat i'll clean it on sunday and load it up.
Posted By: BB Dart 69

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 10:47 PM

Quote:

Josh,
Put a list up of exactly what you need or at least e-mail it to me.If I have anything you need,it's yours.Hell,I will even run it down to you.
Just let me know.
Keith

People helping people, thats what its all about
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/01/11 11:26 PM

Josh, Have you considered going to a cross over oiling system?

I don't have much any more but there is anything I can do to help let me know.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 12:29 AM

Quote:

Josh, Have you considered going to a cross over oiling system?

On one of Feets,s thread in Power adders, "Anybody lose a boosted BB" Trendz posted a slick way to oil the top end.

It involves spinning the cam bearing and closing that route, and drilling the head feeds tube into the main side galleys on both sides. Then Install plugs in the outer hole. The heads now get fed directly from the galley, instead of through the cam bearing and robbing its oil supply from the #4 main.

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 02:23 AM

Well, I found it wasnt the cam bearing....

No matter where the cam position is I get a tiny tiny dribble of oil as I have a grove cut in the cam....

Where the cam oiling holes line up I can shoot a steady stream of oil over the fenders on either side just depending on which position the cam is lined up.....thats seems to be plenty.

I did this with a cordless drill on low as I didnt want to exaggerate anything.

So now what? do I chalk it up to a rogue piece of garbage in the oil path? Not sure what to check. I ordered new push rods and adjusters from Smith Bros that will be here tomorrow. Im at a loss. I dont want to miss this race, but I dont want to waste 500 dollars in parts when I am overlooking something

Keith,

As always man, your generosity is unmatched my friend. If I get in a bind, I will call you for sure.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 04:09 AM

Well, thats good news! Your getting plenty of oil up to the shafts. You now need to find out where or why the oil isnt getting to the cups of the pushrods.

This is Not a uncommon problem with aftermarket rockers. I dont know who's you are using.

Ive seen several posts/pictures of members smoking their pushrod cups. Andy F., Bob G. Von, Etc,Etc. So your not the only one.

The fixes can be various.

The Oldest most simplest mistake was installing the rocker shaft reversed. As mounted the oil shaft feed holes need to point towards the exhaust.

In your case Im, sure yours are correct. Beyond that, people have bannana grooved the rocker bodies. And also have tried redrilling the pushrod cup oil feed to make sure its open or has a better angle to the pushrod cup.

Another possible problem is the adjusters ball radius match to the pushrods cup. .

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Like I said, It seems you have plenty of oil to the shaft. You need to chase it from there.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 04:26 AM

josh this may not be your problem but make sure pushrods are clearanced in those areas! from all the pushrod flexing mine had from "interference" last time it out it was breaking/chipping cups also and I had plenty oil up top... good luck man

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 04:41 AM

Josh I didnt read what rockers your using... what
are they.... when you had oil squirting over the fender
was that coning out of the hole in the head(where
the shaft sits)

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 12:28 PM

I am using the koffels B1 rocker. I believe people refer to them as a dove rocker for whatever reason.

Yes Mike, the hole I'm referring to is the feed hole to the shafts in the top of the head.

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 02:30 PM

Im running brad penn 20-50

would i gain anything by going to a synthetic in this situation as far as if the oil supply isnt perfect to these areas, would there be any added protection from the synthetic?

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

I am using the koffels B1 rocker. I believe people refer to them as a dove rocker for whatever reason.

Yes Mike, the hole I'm referring to is the feed hole to the shafts in the top of the head.

Josh do those shafts have the screw in plugs at each
end... might want to open them up and clean the ID of
them to see if you have any metal shavings in there
from when they were made... could be plugging up
some of the feed holes

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 03:56 PM

They dont have removable plugs, but I will be cleaning the heck out of them tonight.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/02/11 09:54 PM

DO THE SHAFTS HAVE A HOLE IN THEM TO OIL THE ROCKER? MAKE SURE THAT HOLE IS POINTING DOWN NOT UP....UP WOULD GIVE LITTLE OR NO OIL THROUGH THE ROCKER. ALSO MAKE SURE THE HOLES DRILLED IN THE ROCKERS TO OIL THE SPRING AND PUSHROD CUP ARE DRILLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/04/11 08:20 PM

New Pushrods and Adjusters from Smith Bros are installed, I hope this was the issue all along, but if it wasnt, then the spray bar oiling set-up I installed will make sure we are getting all the oil we need up top. (Special Thanks to Bob George for the kit)

Assembled it all and set the valves this morning. It just got to hot out to change the oil, and start it up so I will do that tomorrow, or later tonight when the temp falls off

Also thanks to Pete and Chuck at Best Machine for answering all my dumb questions!!!

Re: It's not looking good for testing this weekend. - 06/04/11 08:23 PM

Quote:

DO THE SHAFTS HAVE A HOLE IN THEM TO OIL THE ROCKER? MAKE SURE THAT HOLE IS POINTING DOWN NOT UP....UP WOULD GIVE LITTLE OR NO OIL THROUGH THE ROCKER. ALSO MAKE SURE THE HOLES DRILLED IN THE ROCKERS TO OIL THE SPRING AND PUSHROD CUP ARE DRILLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH

Bigger holes point down, smaller chamfered holes face the adjuster. I triple checked that when I put it back together. I also put moly paste on everything to help with the dry start
© 2024 Moparts Forums