Moparts

transmission breather relocation

Posted By: tex013

transmission breather relocation - 05/25/11 10:53 PM

when relocting a trans breather i know some,including Cope Trans,recommend drilling into the main case web.
is there any problem with just drilling and fitting a breather/pipe fitting in the extension housing ?
i am thinking of putting a 90 degree 1/8NPT fitting here and running a 3/8" breather hose up to the engine bay

Tex
Posted By: dartman366

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 01:19 AM

Quote:

when relocting a trans breather i know some,including Cope Trans,recommend drilling into the main case web.
is there any problem with just drilling and fitting a breather/pipe fitting in the extension housing ?
i am thinking of putting a 90 degree 1/8NPT fitting here and running a 3/8" breather hose up to the engine bay

Tex

I originally had mine there and it all over ,,finally put it where it belonged and not even a dribble since.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 01:44 AM

I have mine there.

I originaly had a -4 line going up to a diff breather and it would still spew fluid out.

I now have a -6 line going up to a Jr dragster catch can mounted on the fire wall.

Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

Tex

Posted By: dOc !

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 02:28 AM

A 727 puke-tank ? ... whatthefugg youz guyz doin' ? ....injecting your TorkFlite with flatulent-gasses ??

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 03:06 AM

Bill,Dartman,
thanks for the responce.
Bill i also will use a small catch can.
i am just a little leary of drilling in the web as the trans is not coming apart.i will be using an aluminium plug in the pump.
all goes well i will get the trans out this arvo
Doc,it drops about 5-10cc out of the bell housing after each pass,but only at the drags not when daily driven
Tex
PS: C4's have the breather on the extension housing though there is a cast baffle under it
Posted By: rickraw

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 03:13 AM

hey. i drilled the main case about 10 oclock position. put a 1/8 pipe 90 fitting & ran a rubber hose up to the fire wall & put a allison vent on the end. no oil leakage. when launching, tranny oil gets pulled into the tail housing, that's not a good place to put the vent. stay safe, seeya, Rick.

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 03:15 AM

If done correctly the only thing you would have to take off would be the extention housing,, which if you drilled it then it would have to take it off anyway to clean out the chips,, when you drill the housing your not supposed to break into the internal area of the case, wish I had a pic of what I am talking about, it would be easier to understand.

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 03:28 AM

guess what,,I found one..

Attached picture 6651259-jeffs904018.JPG
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 03:54 AM

If you do decide to use the tail shaft, Remember there is a fluid passage that runs along the top. It feeds fluid to the rear bushing for lubrication.

Posted By: rebel

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/26/11 07:07 AM

like Bill i also run the tailshaft vent line up to a catch can. my catch can is a little smaller than Bills pic but does the same thing. it burps the system & when it's ready, it just drains back to the trans. i did have it in the main case but it always spewed fluid from there & we could never find why.

Re: transmission breather relocation - 05/27/11 03:28 AM

thanks for all reply's.bit the bullet and fitted it in the case
hope this stops the drips

Tex
© 2024 Moparts Forums