Moparts

OK.............Let's see a show of hands.

Posted By: S/ST 3040

OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 07:48 PM

How many of you HATE gapping rings?

That's me with both hands up.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 07:49 PM

4 more holes left.

Attached picture 6645522-4.100340Block2011008.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 07:51 PM

Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 07:52 PM

Never thought about doing it with a TQ plate installed, very good idea
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 08:06 PM

Quote:

Never thought about doing it with a TQ plate installed, very good idea

¨

just thought the same!

i truly hate it,especialy oilrings
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 08:15 PM

I actually like it cos I at least know it`s done right and plus it`s part of the "blue printing" process which give me a chance to pound some beers and rock out to some hard rock.
Posted By: Von

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 08:18 PM

I dont mind it. But, my hands really hurt by hole 6 or so.

As far as using a plate, most ring mfgs say to gap with a plate installed. Ive never done it, but I happened to have a borrowed plate on hand last time, so I did it.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 08:32 PM

Pretty tedious, as I'm a perfectionist.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 09:34 PM

Quote:

4 more holes left.

My ring squaring tool does not allow me to use a torque plate. Not sure how critical that is the torque plate I mean. Getting the ring square on the grinder and in the hole IS critical.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 11:33 PM

The side of the stone on the bench grinder works pretty good. Take some practice to make them square, but if you get the hang of it the process goes so fast you can get to the really fun part, checking bearing clearances...
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/22/11 11:46 PM

You need to buy an electric ring filer,........so I can borrow it!
Keith
Posted By: rowin4

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 12:09 AM

I use a ring filer with the crank handle, after 2 holes you can count the turns and be right on, and course there's the finish burr clean up. I would rather file rings than install spiro locks
Posted By: Crizila

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 12:49 AM

Quote:

I use a ring filer with the crank handle, after 2 holes you can count the turns and be right on, and course there's the finish burr clean up. I would rather file rings than install spiro locks

For sure I use a honing stone to knock off any sharp edges left from my ring filer. It's time consuming using the stone after each filing, but as said, you can hone in on the number of cranks and get pretty close after a few 's
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 01:58 AM

Quote:

That is what I do. I don't think too much about it. But I am very detail oriented and take way too much time doing all sorts of things.
I have a diamond jewlers file to help make the final gap exactly parallel for that last 0.001"
Posted By: robnbird

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:06 AM

Ya I know what you mean. I just stopped using them.
Posted By: efisixpack

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:12 AM

I'm going to be putting together my 440 short block in a few weeks and was wondering who has the best tool for grinding ring? Also, what is the best way to debur rings? Jewlers file like stated above or what else to use? Thanks in advance, I'm a little rusty in this department and just trying to freshen up on my tools/skills.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:16 AM

Quote:

Ya I know what you mean. I just stopped using them.

Posted By: Sport440

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:22 AM

Quote:

I bought one of those crank ring filers from Summit. I sent it back, Way to slow.

I opted for my much more productive Sears belt/disc sander. Turns out it was a little to Productive. the first time I used it.

I over cut a ring on a cylinder and ended up buying a whole another set of Rings. At the time I couldnt buy just one. I got a whole lot of spares now.

But Ive got the disc sander technigue down now, and it is the method I prefer. I can buzz up a set in 5 minutes, Just kidding.
Posted By: clovis

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 03:03 AM

Just went through the whole shortblock assembly this weekend-bearing clearance,spiral locks,ring filing,cam degree,final deck height check.

As far as the ring filing, I found that I never put the same amount of tension on each as I filed so I just used a base number of strokes for each ring, top(15) and second(10), then adjusted from there. Having the filer next to the block-major time saver, but still didn't help my back out much.

This little device would sure be a nice addition to the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHSoSZvHoCo
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 07:38 AM

Quote:

4 more holes left.

Do you use the torque plate on your heads when doing the valve job If not try it It is amazing what you can find that makes a difference in results on H.P. motors, especially when your competion is outrunning you
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:12 PM

it's a hateful job that got to be done and done right !
Posted By: Leon441

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 02:30 PM

That grinder would be great when cutting Tool Steel rings for large gaps on nitrous engines. I have actually had to use a cut off wheel to get close then start grinding with the ring grinder.

Buy a new set of rings due to one being a little big??? How big?? I would have probably used that ring in a hole I new got hotter than others.

Leon
Posted By: LSP

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/23/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

who has the best tool for grinding ring? Also, what is the best way to debur rings?

ABS has the best ring filer that I have used and know of, it has a rotating deburr brush already on it.

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/24/11 04:11 AM

I bought this Proform ring filer several years ago, it makes gapping rings a lot easier and quicker 1 to 2 hours on the top moly rings depending on the application and how precise I wnat the gaps, 40 minutes to 1 hr. to do the softer 2nd iron rings, again depending on how close they end up being, .0010 requires some stoning on the last fittings and within .001 to .003 only needs the wheel on the girnder How many of you are checking the ring side clearances and back spacing? Oops, forgot the picture

Attached picture 6647949-MVC-040S.JPG
Posted By: dartman366

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/24/11 02:05 PM

I don't know what is worse,, filing ring's or spiro-loc's.

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/25/11 03:07 AM

Quote:

Both

Posted By: Cudafied

Re: OK.............Let's see a show of hands. - 05/25/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

I like doing both

© 2024 Moparts Forums