Moparts

Wrecked the car today! **DIAG, PICS**

Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Wrecked the car today! **DIAG, PICS** - 05/22/11 08:49 AM

Before a wildfire spreads and anyone wonders about the facts. My Saturday morning time run at the Mo-Power classic event ended in disaster. After making what I thought was an outstanding run thru the 1/4 mile 9.57@ 138.17(New best MPH), after I lifted at the stripe and went for the brakes my car went into what I would describe as engine braking(jake brake) and began to decelerate hard, had enough time to look to see oil pressure good and then rear tire lock up @ approx 90mph car was briefly perpendicular to the retaining wall before it rotated a little more and left front into wall bouncing left rear into wall. Left front fender is a loss and quarter gonna need extensive work, but did not strike the wheels and all frame work okay, did not even bounce me around in the seat. I am sure there are some that took pictures, and it is okay to post them, but long story short I am just fine, now need to find out the root cause. Suspect trans failure of some sort and there was trans fluid leaking after I came to a stop. Thanks to everyone that checked on me, and I WILL BE BACK!
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 08:52 AM

Quote:

I WILL BE BACK!

Posted By: rebel

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 09:00 AM

glad you're ok dude, i run those times too, wouldn't want anything to come unglued at those speeds, buy a lotto ticket!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 09:40 AM

Sorry to hear that but glad you're OK. Keep us posted on the cause.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 09:42 AM

sorry to hear that
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 12:14 PM

Glad you're alright! machines can be replaced, people can't.Dave
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 12:24 PM

sorry to hear about the wreck,glad you are ok,broken cars can be rebuilt broken people may not be rebuildable.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 12:51 PM

I hate to hear this kind of stuff Lonnie. Especially about people I know.
From what you describe of the damage, it sounds repairable.
I'm glad you're OK.

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:01 PM

Dang!! Lonnie...I am glad you are ok...The car can be fixed..Sorry to hear about wrecking your car....
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:06 PM

sorry to here this news Lonnie glad your OK .
DR

Attached picture 6644917-BKD9-11-01_302C.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:12 PM

Sorry to hear that. That would be a bad experience and ride.
I will be interested to see what locked up.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:41 PM

That sucks Not a good wknd for Smith racing.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:46 PM

Sorry to hear this Lonnie, glad your OK... I'll be interested to hear the cause when you get it apart.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:53 PM

sorry Lonnie, glad you're okay.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:54 PM

Fender and quarter can be replaced. You cannot be replaced. Glad you're o.k. and look forward to finding out what happened. You have one very fast car that's for sure.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 01:59 PM

Lonnie,I'm real sorry this happened..especially after such a darn good run! Thank the Lord you're safe and sound! I agree with the statements.."cars can be fixed,or replaced..people can't" Best of Luck getting it back together soon...and commencing to kickin' booty!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:01 PM

Lonnie, That sucks big time. I'm so glad to hear that you are OK and the damage seems relatively minor all things considered.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:07 PM

glad you weren't hurt,hate to see anyone have a wreck,no matter how bad.if i had the parts you needed they would be on their way,hope you get it back together soon and inexpesively so.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:12 PM

Glad you're OK.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:49 PM

BUMMER... glad to hear you didnt get into the chassis,
so a few pieces of sheet metal and you'll be back in
business.... and of course it was on a best run...
curious as to what the cause was also
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:52 PM

True Bummer
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:54 PM

It's just sheet-metal and paint....just happy to hear your OK Lonnie.

Rickster
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:57 PM

sorry to hear this! good luck getting her back together!
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:58 PM

Just a mere " flesh wound"....you'll be back at it in no time for sure....glad it wasnt worse. Your ok, thats all thats important.

Remember...it was the day thew World was supposed to end...maybe they decided to start with your tranny first...instead of the earthquake???...
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 02:59 PM

+ =

The big thing is you are telling us what happened.

Curious as others why the car did that.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:02 PM

I feel that there are good wrecks and bad wrecks.
that I am able to sit here and type this tells you that I have only been in good ones.
But never in those circumstances or speeds......that had to be a little tense.
Sorry for your bad luck and glad it wasn't worse.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:12 PM

lonnie: sorry to hear about the crash, but glad YOU walked away unhurt. good luck grtting things back in order. dave
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:16 PM

Sorry to hear this and glad you're OK too.
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:19 PM

Glad your ok
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:30 PM

Ouch! That car is one of my favorites on here. Possible sprag.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:42 PM

I'm sure it's depressing to see your car smashed up, but if it's just sheet metal, Shouldn't be too much to straighten out. Consider yourself lucky. Be interested to know the cause, once you have it figured out. Good luck.
Posted By: chris3

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:57 PM

Glad you are okay other than your feeling hurting a little. Keep us posted what you find might have gone wrong.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 03:59 PM

Again,sorry for the damage.Just glad to hear it was not worse and you are fine.
Keith
Posted By: dbran451

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 04:04 PM

Glad to hear your alright
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the mishap but the important part is you are ok. Hopefully you guys can determine the cuase of the accident.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 04:37 PM

that sucks, good luck with getting it fixed soon
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 05:26 PM

That's Racing!
What parts you need?
Glad you ain't hurt.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 05:27 PM

sheeet happens...good to hear you're ok..
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 05:38 PM

bummer about the ride, glad your ok
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 05:42 PM

Sorry to hear this and glad you`re ok. Although easier said than done, you can hopefully get that beast up and running soon.
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/22/11 05:46 PM

I hate to hear about it bro, but the damage seems minor for what it could have been....especially when a drag car gets perpendicular to the track. Maybe a good excuse to finally go with fiberglass fenders? I will be curious to hear what the root cause was. From what you describe, sounds like the transmission. I know you will have it back out soon. Call me if I can do anything for you.
Posted By: smalltyredart67

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:01 AM

Glad it was only sheetmetal and pride that was hurt. Best of luck on the repairs.

smalltyredart
jeff r
Posted By: chryco

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:05 AM

Scary ! Glad you`re OK . Sounds like the car will be OK too .

Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:16 AM

Glad to hear it was not too bad. You will be back soon! Keep us posted.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:29 AM

I am really sorry to hear this happened, but am relieved you are ok.
Posted By: aarcudaden

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:31 AM

Sorry to hear bout the wreck Lonnie but like everyone else glad to know you're okay. Hope your back up and running soon
Posted By: cudabin

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 05:29 AM

Glad you are OK.

I am sure the car will look good again, but main thing is you lived to tell the tale.

Cheers,

Arnie
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 10:09 AM

Ditto everyone's remarks. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad that just the equipment was hurt and you are ok.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 01:16 PM

That sucks god bless
Posted By: CRT

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:29 PM

Sorry about the car, Glad your ok.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 03:35 PM

Great to hear you are ok, Lonnie. I'm sure your driving ability saved what could have been a worse wreck. I know times are tough, so don't hurry it back to health the wrong way(which you would never do anyway). Good luck.
Posted By: mistress

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 08:35 PM

Was glad to see you were ok. Also it was nice chattin with ya.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 08:37 PM

bummer
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 10:55 PM

that sucks, glad ur ok. stay safe, seeya, Rick.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 10:56 PM

Sorry to hear this Lonnie. Glad the important thing turned out to be O.K. (You)

Best of luck getting her all healed up, with some improvements along the way I'm sure
Posted By: Dart Racer

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/23/11 11:16 PM

Also agree with all that I'm very sorry to hear about the car, and happy that you walked away unscathed. (except for the wallet)
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/24/11 06:23 AM

that suks....if i was closer i would help ya fix it...
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/24/11 09:13 AM

So sorry to hear that. Glad you’re ok
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/24/11 11:10 AM

did you ever find the cause?
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/24/11 12:40 PM

Quote:

Before a wildfire spreads and anyone wonders about the facts. My Saturday morning time run at the Mo-Power classic event ended in disaster. After making what I thought was an outstanding run thru the 1/4 mile 9.57@ 138.17(New best MPH), after I lifted at the stripe and went for the brakes my car went into what I would describe as engine braking(jake brake) and began to decelerate hard, had enough time to look to see oil pressure good and then rear tire lock up @ approx 90mph car was briefly perpendicular to the retaining wall before it rotated a little more and left front into wall bouncing left rear into wall. Left front fender is a loss and quarter gonna need extensive work, but did not strike the wheels and all frame work okay, did not even bounce me around in the seat. I am sure there are some that took pictures, and it is okay to post them, but long story short I am just fine, now need to find out the root cause. Suspect trans failure of some sort and there was trans fluid leaking after I came to a stop. Thanks to everyone that checked on me, and I WILL BE BACK!

Sorry to hear you kissed the wall, and I see here on Moparts that you have gotten 39 man hugs but no one asking if they can help you out. I always help out my customers when they crash my fiberglass parts. Give me a call here at Sled City Fiberglass 1-614-875-0369
Posted By: cgall

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/24/11 05:40 PM

Didn't look too bad for the wild ride it went on. I kinda got the willies on my next run when I saw the black tracks go from the left lane around 1/2 turn and into the right wall.

It didn't slow Lonnie down much, I saw him Sunday driving 3 different cars.

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/25/11 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to hear you kissed the wall, and I see here on Moparts that you have gotten 39 man hugs but no one asking if they can help you out. I always help out my customers when they crash my fiberglass parts. Give me a call here at Sled City Fiberglass 1-614-875-0369

Thanks Larry, you will probably hear from me soon, I was planning a furthur inspection of the car up at my Dads to see what I may be able to get away with still.

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/25/11 04:31 AM

Take some time to look at "everything". Better to be safe. Still interested to see what the cause was.
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/27/11 02:23 AM

Quote:

It didn't slow Lonnie down much, I saw him Sunday driving 3 different cars.

He was a busy guy sunday!! not bad at all bottom bulbing! good job bro! you'll have yours bad out soon!!
Posted By: BobR

Re: Wrecked the car today! - 05/27/11 05:43 PM

Check the engine for over-rev damage.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 05:00 AM

Well, progress has been made. Yesterday I managed to get converter out of car to get to Jason Brock at quickdraw to check it over for damage and install a new ring gear. This morning I started my day a 6 AM and drove the 75 miles to Kilbuck(BFE) to have the converter looked at. Jason cut it open on the spot and we saw perfect components and no internal damage. Off to Norwalk for my new Hoosier 32x14's to replace the flat spotted tires (75 more miles) Tires replace and headed to Dads to work on car. (60 more miles) Made it to his house at 12:30. Removed differential cover and inspected ring and pinion. Everything looked brand new, removed wilwoods and pulled axels. No twists in splines and axels looked like new. While disassembling I noticed that the rotors and pads looked very coarse and grooved. Decided car would not go back together with these components not replaced. Drove to Jegs and back (100 more miles) and replaced the rotors and pads in rear. While I was gone Dad tore down the transmission for autopsy. That is where the following was found.

It would appear as though the transbrake engaged causing the trans to lock up. After getting the back end back on the ground I started to line up the replacement fender for front end. Fender is generally mocked up and ready to install Dzus tabs. I need to align the front fenders a bit as the structure is bent about a 1/4" to the right and the hood does not fit quite square just yet. I ran out of time to get more work done tonight as i had to get home(45 more miles). A long day closes and a little relief in finding a failed component. Not quite sure what caused the brake to lock, but kinda figure if it was electrical I shoulda seen the brake release after the delay in the box ran out. Does anyone know if the Tranzact pro brake is even capable of elecrically engaging the transbrake when in high gear?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 06:03 AM

It was great seeing ya today

Sounds like you may have found it but I'm stumped as to why the brake would have engaged.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 01:19 PM

Thats a tuff one,Lonnie...Can you guys test everything to see if a short somewhere may have caused the brake to engage? That would have scared the hell out of me!!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 03:28 PM

A guy that builds race transmissions once told me that certain trans brakes can lock up because of a grounding problem, can't remember what brand he was changing out because of that though.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 03:50 PM

Quote:

While I was gone Dad tore down the transmission for autopsy. That is where the following was found.

It would appear as though the transbrake engaged causing the trans to lock up.

Holy cow! That sounds like a nightmare come to life.
Scary

We need a discussion of what goes on when the transbrake button is pushed in relation to the gear selector position, etc. The basics should be the same for all TF transbrakes, but the details of how they do it (tap the pressure) may be different.

Now why the solenoid engaged is another issue.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

While I was gone Dad tore down the transmission for autopsy. That is where the following was found.

It would appear as though the transbrake engaged causing the trans to lock up.

Holy cow! That sounds like a nightmare come to life.
Scary

We need a discussion of what goes on when the transbrake button is pushed in relation to the gear selector position, etc. The basics should be the same for all TF transbrakes, but the details of how they do it (tap the pressure) may be different.

Now why the solenoid engaged is another issue.

Not being a tranny guru but to my understanding it
SHOULD NOT have done anything... he was in high gear
and in my trans it ONLY works in low gear... I have
hit the button when in second and high just to see
if anything would happen.... nothing happened... (in the pits)
mine is a T/A manual reverse NO low band apply...
I am wondering if a chunk of metal broke free from
something else and got wedged in the band/drum area
then its a welding process due to friction

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 05:27 PM

Lonnie, is that a 904 or 727, front or rear drum and band burned up?

Mike, does the TA brake go into reverse with the gear selector in both R and N ?
Just trying to figure out what passage is tapped for the pressure and what it engages in each selector position.
Interesting thought about something broke and wedged the linkage (band?).

Anyone else with other brands?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 05:36 PM

Jim, the TA brake uses the gear selector for reverse. No need to push the button.

I never tried the button in N to see what would happen though.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/29/11 06:02 PM

Glad most everything checked out ok. I am stumped about the trans brake (if that is indeed the issue).

Try not to wrinkle my fender....
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 12:28 AM

Quote:

Glad most everything checked out ok. I am stumped about the trans brake (if that is indeed the issue).

Try not to wrinkle my fender....

Too late Brian, he already has it Its a good thing when you find a component that has caused the problem instead of chasing ghost issues. Hope you get it all back together and remedy any electrical gremlins that might have helped cause this!!
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 04:21 AM

I'm not familiar with all trans brake valve bodies but I'm fairly certain that they all apply the front clutch as the locking member. When the car is staged and the shifter is in low, (LBA apply in this case) the rear clutch is on as well as the rear band. When the trans brake is applied it engages the front clutch which locks the whole trans up. When the button is released, the front clutch releases and you launch in low. In high gear, the front clutch is applied as well as the rear clutch, so engaging the t-brake button in high should do nothing as the front clutch is already on. I would look in the rear servo area for an issue. If the rear band applied in high, this would lock the trans up and the band and drum are pretty beat up by the pictures.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 04:36 AM

The rear band must also be applied along with the front clutch for the trans brake to work. Otherwise you'd just have high gear. My T/A brake says it has a timed release of the rear band. How it works though I don't know as I've never really looked into it in depth to see how the fluid is routed through the valve body.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 04:42 AM

Depending on the valve body, you may or may not need the rear band applied. The rear band and the sprag clutch hold the rear planetary and either or both can be used along with the rear clutch to get low gear. LBA valve bodies use the rear band while non LBA valve bodies use the sprag. Adding a third member into the mix (the front clutch)locks the whole assembly thus the brake action.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 04:50 AM

If you have the front and rear clutches applied you have high gear, the over running clutch (sprag) will not hold, you must have the rear band and front clutch applied and the rear clutch released for reverse. Keeping the rear clutch applied is what locks it.

Granted you don't need rear band apply for 1st gear but you must have it for reverse. So the brake must apply the rear band and the front clutch while the rear clutch is engaged.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 05:11 AM

Man am I glad I run a Glide..

Chris..

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 02:09 PM

You're correct. The valve bodies that do not have low band apply must not have a trans brake. So that would indicate that all trans brake valve bodies that utilize the front clutch to activate the trans brake are also low band apply units. I never realized this until you mentioned the two clutches applied. Thanks

As for the brake applying the front clutch and the rear band, are you sure of this or does the brake simply apply the front clutch and the band is applied through the manual valve movement? I guess an easy way to check would be to have the trans in neutral and push the brake button. If the car backs up, then it would indicate that the brake applies both but if is does nothing, then it would only be applying the front clutch, correct?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 02:25 PM

Quote:

You're correct. The valve bodies that do not have low band apply must not have a trans brake. So that would indicate that all trans brake valve bodies that utilize the front clutch to activate the trans brake are also low band apply units. I never realized this until you mentioned the two clutches applied. Thanks

As for the brake applying the front clutch and the rear band, are you sure of this or does the brake simply apply the front clutch and the band is applied through the manual valve movement? I guess an easy way to check would be to have the trans in neutral and push the brake button. If the car backs up, then it would indicate that the brake applies both but if is does nothing, then it would only be applying the front clutch, correct?

Mine(non low band apply)wont do anything if in neutral
and hitting the button.... T/A manual reverse pattern

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 02:44 PM

Thanks Mike, but this raises yet another question. You say yours is a non LBA valve body with a brake, yet what Stephen pointed out is that if you don't have the band on and you press the brake button with the manual lever in a forward postion, you basically have high gear since the sprag does not hold when both clutches are applied. I believe he is correct but if your valve body is indeed a non LBA with a brake, then I'm not sure what to assume. I thought the T/A units utilized the front clutch as the holding member but maybe not?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

My T/A brake does nothing in neutral, as I said it's claimed to have a timed rear band release. After the front clutch is released the rear band can be released anytime before the 1-2 shift. My VB has no 1st gear braking so the valvebody is not applying the rear band, the brake portion is doing it. As I said though I've never really studied it to see how it works, as long as it worked I just wasn't that curious. This episode though has me thinking.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike, but this raises yet another question. You say yours is a non LBA valve body with a brake, yet what Stephen pointed out is that if you don't have the band on and you press the brake button with the manual lever in a forward postion, you basically have high gear since the sprag does not hold when both clutches are applied. I believe he is correct but if your valve body is indeed a non LBA with a brake, then I'm not sure what to assume. I thought the T/A units utilized the front clutch as the holding member but maybe not?

In mine you have to have the shifter in low gear for
the brake to work and when you manually have the shifter
in low you are applying the low band if I'm not mistaken
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 03:34 PM

Just thinking out loud, but never having a T/B in a Mopar trans (just the glide)....is there a pro-brake & non-pro-brake offering for Mopars...????

Asking because in the glide....you only need the button for reverse with a pro-brake

Rickster

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 03:42 PM

Quote:

Just thinking out loud, but never having a T/B in a Mopar trans (just the glide)....is there a pro-brake & non-pro-brake offering for Mopars...????

Asking because in the glide....you only need the button for reverse with a pro-brake

Rickster

Sorta... there is a low band apply and a non low
band apply... I run the non low band apply and you
dont need the button BUT to my understanding the low
band apply version you need to hit the button for
reverse... they offer a faster release version also
for the pro tree

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 03:55 PM

There are many different manufacturers offering different valve bodies. The T/A was one of the first to use an internal solenoid release. Early Lamb versions had an external solenoid and didn't work all that well. Supposedly the T/A VB that I have, an early version, is not good for a pro tree. I can however cut .4teen lights with it if I don't use a two step. Otherwise it's a .500 tree brake.

Since then there are many others with various features, Griner, JW, TranzAct, Hipster, TCI and so on.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 03:59 PM

More differences in the makes, models and applications than I had thought. Thanks for all the input. Always learning something here.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 03:59 PM

BTW the brake I'd like to have would be the clean neutral VB. The shift pattern is P, R/N, (push button for reverse) 1, 2, 3, N. Since I use an automated shifter I'd have to modify that as well as spend the $700 for the V/B. That's not going to happen unless I win the Lottery.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics - 05/30/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Mike I had a griner NON LBA TB, and I had to use the button for reverse. Don

Sorta... there is a low band apply and a non low
band apply... I run the non low band apply and you
dont need the button BUT to my understanding the low
band apply version you need to hit the button for
reverse... they offer a faster release version also
for the pro tree

Attached picture 6657817-wheelsup5-1-11.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums