354 truck block
HOT HEADS Aluminum heads and tunnel ram
9.5:1 pump gas motor
472 228@.050 flat tappet cam
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers
600 hp @ 5000 rpm and 625 ft of torque around 4500 rpm
Motor is going in a 29 Chrysler Coupe
The old man already said he wants to borrow a set of my slicks. Great.... I can already see parts breaking
WOW, big thanks to Tom Nickerson at NVR Racing Engines in Bulter Wi

Attached picture 6644018-Time_Mach_10_sat_417_web.jpg
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 06:57 PM

very hard to belive.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 07:15 PM

Dam cool!
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 09:03 PM

Nice!
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 09:28 PM

Quote:

very hard to belive.

I'll ask NVR for copies of the dyno sheets next week when I see him.
WHY B.S. you all its only a number right We're not talking size or length here
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

very hard to belive.

I think it's because it's such a small cam and the torque peak would usually be around 3500 with that size cam, but who know's? Lets see the dyno sheet
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 09:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

very hard to belive.

Why you ask... well because i spend so much time and money on stroker sb making only 500-550 hp and this one gets 600 with 9.5-1 comp, super small cam, 354 cubes and at 6000 rpms.

im not BSing here
Posted By: tubtar

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 09:56 PM

Monster numbers..........even if the dyno were 10 % on the hot side , I'd be impressed.
The stock bottom end on those was a weak point as I recall.
I had three early Hemi's of varying sizes in the early 80's and they all had spun rod bearings.
I know that tons of improvements have come along since then , but with that small of a cam , I couldn't see those numbers coming from any 354 inch motor without a ton of massaging or a dab of spray.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:00 PM

Posted By: TrWaters

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:09 PM

Actually, the stock bottom end is quite strong. Big rods and a forged crank. At 600 hp you will start to see some cap walk, unless a main cap girdle is used.
As for what this combo made for HP....no comment.
Posted By: A0M397X

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:14 PM

Man that is a lot of HP. Why am I wasting my time with a gen 3 hemi when the old stuff works that well?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:16 PM

He forgot to mention the 671 under those holleys.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:27 PM

Quote:

very hard to believe.

+1

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

very hard to belive.

I think it's because it's such a small cam and the torque peak would usually be around 3500 with that size cam, but who know's? Lets see the dyno sheet

I said the same thing when I heard the cam size when they were building the engine. I maybe off on the torque number, I was going off my memory but I know the hp is correct. Apparently size doesn’t always matter, all joking aside Hot Heads (http://www.hothemiheads.com/) knows their stuff when it come to early hemis. When NVR and Hot Heads were putting the package together, they said 500-550 hp shouldn’t be an issue but they were both concerned with the valve train robustness.
I’ll see them next week and ask for a copy of the numbers.
I think its hilarious having these old blue hair guys showing me how it’s done..... no head flow numbers, intake numbers, no cnc porting, just a heck of a lot of experience.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 10:38 PM

I don’t mean to get everyone cranked up here, I’m just happy for the old fart.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/21/11 11:54 PM

625 ft/lbs
Posted By: emarine01

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 12:40 AM

............... ............. ..........

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 01:35 AM

Untouched HH Aluminum heads.
@ .400 lift Intake 241 Exhaust 176
@ .500 lift Intake 259 Exhaust 185
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

I don’t mean to get everyone cranked up here, I’m just happy for the old fart.

Don't give any credence to the doubters, none of them have probally never seen or worked on a early hemi likes your dads A hemi is a hemi, the head is the key to making power on any engine, flat head single cylinder lawnmower motor or a Ferari V12 The early hemi heads where not designed to be raced or make a lot of power up above 3000 RPM, the 426 head was designed with racing involved The early hemi heads and rocker gear is a better design with the combustion chamber centered over the cylinder, unlike the circumstances the 426 Hemi heads where designed under Replys ?

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 04:36 AM

As I said, I don’t mean to get everyone cranked up here, I’m just happy for the old fart!! I’ll post the numbers next week for you non believers
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 06:47 AM

edit: This should be good. Ever hear someone say "There goes another Nicker-bomb!" at the track? It used to be pretty common but things may have changed.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 07:46 AM

What an animal. Let us know how it runs at the track.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 01:19 PM

If Danny Miller had anything to do with it then YES I believe the numbers. You should take that thing to the EMC and win it--because it will come very close from the numbers posted. J.Rob

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 01:50 PM

Quote:

edit: This should be good. Ever hear someone say "There goes another Nicker-bomb!" at the track? It used to be pretty common but things may have changed.

Does name calling make you feel manlier

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 01:58 PM

what the heck is a Nicker-bomb!
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:01 PM

Whats the valve train like?

Lets see some pics of the '29!

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:10 PM

Quote:

what the heck is a Nicker-bomb!

Tom Nickerson owns NVR Racing………… some small minded individuals think it’s intelligent to come up with digs on engine builders. I think it makes these morons feel more intelligent or something. Most of them haven’t even dealt with him or even own a race car. Kind of like the keyboard racers on the web

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:14 PM

Quote:

Whats the valve train like?

Lets see some pics of the '29!

I dont know all the details and dont want to guess anymore. I have too many others cranked up here. I'll ask next week......

the 29 is just a street car. it will be another year before its on the road. Hope dad does a good job welding the frame
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:17 PM

I wouldnt even post the dyno sheet! no point! no one will belive it/you regardless.......

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:27 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt even post the dyno sheet! no point! no one will belive it/you regardless.......

thats because you see so many over inflated numbers. how many 700hp 10 second cars have wee seen? it's a tool nothing more, the track will tell the hp.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:33 PM

I'll just say that Danny's 3rd place EMC engine made approximately 650 hp. And that was with a years worth of r&d and 80-100 dyno pulls. Torque was at 572.
Posted By: Coldart

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:38 PM

I'm with Cab on this one.

If most seen these heads - those old hemi's are so cool!

Until you've actually played with an engine like this, don't be doubting. An old hemi will really open your eyes up!

Whats really neat is that block is older than most that post on here!

Anyways sounds like a really neat build! Good Luck!

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats because you see so many over inflated numbers. how many 700hp 10 second cars have wee seen? it's a tool nothing more, the track will tell the hp.

so the dyno tool is not as accurate as the "internet" tool to calculate HP using weight MPH like you like to use ? THEN once someone gets an ET then the argument starts which "internet" tool is more accurate I think its funny when someone tries to trump someone elses dyno numbers.... heck, I can make a dyno sheet if I wanted. graph and all

all seem to give a different answer! which is your favorite tony

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/tech/index.html

http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/1-4-mile-ET-HP-MPH-calculator

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/calculate.html

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so the dyno tool is not as accurate as the "internet" tool to calculate HP using weight MPH like you like to use ? THEN once someone gets an ET then the argument starts which "internet" tool is more accurate I think its funny when someone tries to trump someone elses dyno numbers.... heck, I can make a dyno sheet if I wanted. graph and all

well just for your info only: I have never used a internet tool of any sort. I have enough race experience to be somewhat accurate, unlike you!!!!!

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well just for your info only: I have never used a internet tool of any sort. I have enough race experience to be somewhat accurate, unlike you!!!!!

thats great tony! im still faster than you though....

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How would the numbers get inflated, besides bar stool talk The dyno is calibrated SuperFlow. I would think they all should be within 5% of each other or so The software prints out the numbers. I won’t retype them, I’ll just scan a copy of the print out. Come on guys………. It’s a HEMI , I’m not talking about a SBC here. Where’s the love on this board.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thats great tony! im still faster than you though....

maybe at the present time, you better have that thing right this time or you may not be.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would the numbers get inflated, besides bar stool talk The dyno is calibrated SuperFlow. I would think they all should be within 5% of each other or so The software prints out the numbers. I won’t retype them, I’ll just scan a copy of the print out. Come on guys………. It’s a HEMI , I’m not talking about a SBC here. Where’s the love on this board.

tony's mind dyno is the ultimate on here! it trumps all superflo's (just in case ya didnt know)

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

there sre so many things they can adjust to get the numbers they want. I'll let the dyno experts explain that to you. big numbers sell motors, until they reach the track...

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

tony's mind dyno is the ultimate on here! it trumps all superflo's (just in case ya didnt know)

trying to be funny again? better go back to YB and start another stupid thread

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

there sre so many things they can adjust to get the numbers they want. I'll let the dyno experts explain that to you. big numbers sell motors, until they reach the track...

Ok understood, My family and friends have been working with this company for years so we would never change builders even if it had a lot less HP. We consider Tom and all at NVR very close friends. We’re not ego number driven people, we’re just out to have a good time. As I stated in my second post, its only a number. I didn’t think this would cause a war. I must say, its kind of fun watching it

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:35 PM

One thing that jumps out at me is how close the HP
peak and the torque peak RPMs are together... to me
something is wrong.... I know it doesnt matter... just
as long as your dad is happy with the engine when its
in the car

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:40 PM

Quote:

in the car

it sounds like a great build and cool as hell, good luck with it post some pics when you can.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

it sounds like a great build and cool as hell, good luck with it post some pics when you can.

As I stated before, I may have screwed up the torque numbers. I'll get copies and pictures next week.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

As I stated before, I may have screwed up the torque numbers. I'll get copies and pictures next week.

the numbers really mean nothing, the cool factor is a bigger deal in my book don't worry about it.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 04:28 PM

Even if the numbers are inflated,(and I am not saying they are),it sounds like a cool build.
People will always question dyno numbers,and say things like "we don't race dyno's".It is usually from people that don't own them or use them.Don't sweat it.
Keith
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 04:53 PM

Quote:

My Dads 354 Hemi just got off the dyno.
Here are some of the specs
354 truck block
472 [Email]228@.050[/Email] flat tappet cam
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers
The old man already said he wants to borrow a set of my slicks. Great.... I can already see parts breaking

600 is a very believable number to me, just not at 5000 RPM in a 354 cube engine 625 tq is not really possible from that small of a motor NA, that is 1.77 lbs per inch, not gonna find any other motors doing that.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

354 truck block
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers

600 is a very believable number to me, just not at 5000 RPM in a 354 cube engine 625 tq is not really possible from that small of a motor NA, that is 1.77 lbs per inch, not gonna find any other motors doing that.

`so you think you can get 600hp with that cam and compression

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

354 truck block
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers

Sounds like someone just made up some numbers to throw out there. 625ft/lbs out of 354 inches is not possible n/a and 600hp @5000 is 630-ft/lb so it's supposed peak torque wouldn't even be at 4500

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

354 truck block
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers

Compression yes, cam no.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 05:58 PM

Quote:

in the car

Funny you should say this cos my chassis numbers were 485tq and 487hp.............so what`s WRONG w/these kind of numbers. Oh, nice hemi by the way.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

354 truck block
Ken Jones 650 Holleys
1.75 headers

Compression yes, cam no.

not saying it couldn't be done but I sure would like to see you do it

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

Funny you should say this cos my chassis numbers were 485tq and 487hp.............so what`s WRONG w/these kind of numbers. Oh, nice hemi by the way.

Were the peaks within 500rpm of each other? Makimg almost the same #'s is fine but not usually at almost the same rpm.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

Were the peaks within 500rpm of each other? Makimg almost the same #'s is fine but not usually at almost the same rpm.

A quick easy way to verify the engine dyno accuracy is if the torque and HP match or meet at 5250 RPM Both torque and HP are a mathimatical calculation based on the strain gauge, not seperate meters or measuring devices
Posted By: Leon441

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 06:52 PM

HP=(Torque X RPM)/5250

This is why at 5,250 RPM the HP and torque are the same number. Someone mentioned that the HP and RPM you stated are incorrect. Here is why. This would make your peak torque higher than what you stated. But, I understand you said the torque number could be off. Maybe. Probably the RPM for peak HP lower than what it really was.

I love those early hemis. The part I love the most in this tread is the weak bottom end comments. They are very similar to the small blocks these guys are running. Would love to see the reproduction guys reproduce a race version of these heads for the LA blocks.

Leon

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's not name calling...it's history. Tighten up man. That said it sounds like a cool motor, let's see some pictures of it. Did NVR machine/build the engine? 'Just curious...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

Actually my #`s were,485.16hp and 484.94tq@ 6100rpm`s............. Was told loose verts can give these kinds of readings.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 07:16 PM

....Hemi, tunnel ram.... 1.77 lbs/inch NA small block........ Got to learn more on the Hot Head guys

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in the car

Actually my #`s were,485.16hp and 484.94tq@ 6100rpm`s............. Was told loose verts can give these kinds of readings.

On a chassis dyno with a loose conv you can get all
types of numbers... but on a engine dyno you shouldnt
see the numbers that close... should be more like
a 1500 rpm spread

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/22/11 08:08 PM

Danny sent this to me before heading to the 09 EMC. This was after a year of tuning.

QUOTE Here’s our final pull, corrected, in very good air with a conservative (13:1 A/F avg) tune up.
hp @ 3000: 253.5, @ 7000: 608, avg 491.8 - peak 641 @ 6400/6500

tq @ 3000: 443.8, @ 7000: 455.8, avg 513 - peak 569 @ 5200

different pulls, best hp peaks - hp: 647 (1.77 per cid) , tq: 572 (1.57 per cid)

Engine appears solid. Very high valve spring pressures, but the springs are what we had at the shop after the valve spring snaffuzzle.

We can get a higher score on the first pull by leaning it out, but it falls off more in the two subsequent pulls. We don’t exactly know the happy medium, but have a three day road trip to get if all figured out. lol

All in all, we’re very happy with the engine, but sure wish we were smart enough to make the Webers meter properly. We have the A/F close, and have enough Weber Savvy to move it (more or less) up/down. We’re rich/weak at the hit, but that might be partially due to too much camshaft. We wanted it to peak at around 6500, and nailed it, so we were hesitant to stab in a smaller camshaft. It would probably have bolstered the low end at the expense of top end. Rob Peter to pay Paul. We could have tried the other cam, but it would have required more pulls (engine has 99 since the last freshen up), and if it didn’t improve the score, we would have to swap back and show up at Lima with an untested/unfired engine. QUOTE.

Anyhow.... I dont know if the OP engine made 600 or not. And this is probably a bit OT, but I do have a good idea what it takes to make 650 hp from a 354 early hemi.

Aside from the HH aluminum heads (which have been out for about 15 years now) and a couple of intakes, there really isnt anything "new" about these engines....except maybe a better (technological) understanding of how power is made

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 01:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's not name calling...it's history. Tighten up man. That said it sounds like a cool motor, let's see some pictures of it. Did NVR machine/build the engine? 'Just curious...

Tighten up? Are you kidding me? You’re talking about a man’s business here. Did anyone ever tell you that you suck at your job? Ok then, give me facts about your rude comments and I don’t want to hear about my buddy told me, or I heard of a guy , or my mom/sister/aunt told me……………..GIVE ME REAL FACTS! Did Tom ever build you a race engine? I’d be glad to check you out in his archives. If you know Tom, he never throws out customers’ information so I’m sure I could check your file. Let’s see what you got ……PM your real name and I’ll check you out……… yes Tom did all the machining and building……… What do you currently race, please show us all.

Funny thing is what “CAB” said, all engines should show the same HP and torque at 5250rpm. The funny thing is Tom taught me the same thing years ago. I thought it was amazing that my 505 and my buddies 340 both had the torque and hp meet at 5250. Should I also post the last couple engines he did for us? Would that make people feel better.
So I may have the torque numbers off a little, I was excited and never wrote them down, As I stated, I’ll post the numbers this week.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 03:19 AM

I think you are reading a little too much into my response. I never took anything there...did not need to. It's all in the past so if you are happy that is the important factor.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tighten up? Are you kidding me? You’re talking about a man’s business here. Did anyone ever tell you that you suck at your job? Ok then, give me facts about your rude comments and I don’t want to hear about my buddy told me, or I heard of a guy , or my mom/sister/aunt told me……………..GIVE ME REAL FACTS! Did Tom ever build you a race engine? I’d be glad to check you out in his archives. If you know Tom, he never throws out customers’ information so I’m sure I could check your file. Let’s see what you got ……PM your real name and I’ll check you out……… yes Tom did all the machining and building……… What do you currently race, please show us all.

Funny thing is what “CAB” said, all engines should show the same HP and torque at 5250rpm. The funny thing is Tom taught me the same thing years ago. I thought it was amazing that my 505 and my buddies 340 both had the torque and hp meet at 5250. Should I also post the last couple engines he did for us? Would that make people feel better.
So I may have the torque numbers off a little, I was excited and never wrote them down, As I stated, I’ll post the numbers this week.

Most folks know the HP formula:

HP = TQxRPM/5252

Once the rpm reaches 5252 then HP=TQ

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:17 PM

picture 1

Attached picture 6646948-IMG00016-20110523-0841.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:19 PM

pic 2

Attached picture 6646951-IMG00017-20110523-0841.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:19 PM

pic 3

Attached picture 6646954-IMG00019-20110523-0842.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:20 PM

last one

Attached picture 6646955-IMG00020-20110523-0842.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:24 PM

I was off on the compression , it’s 10:1

Attached File

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 06:55 PM

Attached picture 6647013-dyno.JPG
Posted By: galen

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:06 PM

Very nice, I like it. Who built the headers,if you don't mind me asking.
Posted By: patrick

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

I'm just a hack, but I'm calling shenanigans. something is off.

if it really is 354cid, 1.77lb-ft/cid for a naturally aspirated street motor is not possible. the best I've seen is about 1.4-1.5 was this hot-heads's dyno, or a 3rd party dyno operation? if it had a 6-71 pushing out 6-7psi I'd believe it...

Quote:

so...about the same as some IMM prepped RHS magnum heads, maybe a tad better that OOTB W2's....fully ported, what, maybe 300-320cfm max? no, I'm not buying it...I could see that torque number, maybe, out of 470-490 CID with 10:1....
Posted By: formula S

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:10 PM

Quote:

Could the dyno calibration be off. I'm no expert, but i've never seen numbers like that for an engine that size and at such a lo rpm.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just a hack, but I'm calling shenanigans. something is off.

if it really is 354cid, 1.77lb-ft/cid for a naturally aspirated street motor is not possible. the best I've seen is about 1.4-1.5 was this hot-heads's dyno, or a 3rd party dyno operation? if it had a 6-71 pushing out 6-7psi I'd believe it...

Quote:

so...about the same as some IMM prepped RHS magnum heads, maybe a tad better that OOTB W2's....fully ported, what, maybe 300-320cfm max? no, I'm not buying it...I could see that torque number, maybe, out of 470-490 CID with 10:1....

I would consider it a 2nd party dyno (done at NVR). Hot Heads spec’d their heads, intake, and cam combination and NVR did the rest.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:27 PM

I have never seen an air temp stick at the exact same temp through a run when the meter will show you down to the .1 degrees, mabey the temp sensor was away from the engine and a bunch of dry ice was packed around the intake, mabey the dyno calibration is a little off... no 358 is gonna do that power that low in the RPM range, I would say they need MINIMUM of another 60 cubes. Mabey the listed bore and stroke are not what is really in it

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:29 PM

The math on the HP TQ and RPM are correct on the sheet but the dot is in the wrong place

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:35 PM

I’m perplexed about the comments. They build 355 Chevy circle track motors with 700+hp frequently. Those motors are only 9.5:1…………. And NVR isn’t to only guy in town doing it. Circle track racers jump around to different builders all the time. No one ever talks about dynos being hot, fat, off, whatever the lingo is.
You guys are funny

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:39 PM

Guess you need to put it in a car and post the results.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:42 PM

Quote:

I’m perplexed about the comments. They build 355 Chevy circle track motors with 700+hp frequently. Those motors are only 9.5:1…………. And NVR isn’t to only guy in town doing it. Circle track racers jump around to different builders all the time. No one ever talks about dynos being hot, fat, off, whatever the lingo is.
You guys are funny

Compression isn't the issue to me, I am cool with it (makes it a little harder but still do able, even if it was 8 to 1)but it is just the low RPM range they are doing it in and the TQ numbers for that size of engine, ask you circle track motor guys how many of their 355s are makeing 630 lbs TQ any where in the RPM range

There is hidden cubes, nitrous or dyno calibrations causeing those numbers.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:45 PM

Here is something I found Hot Heads entry in the enginemasters challenge 2009 http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginem...tler/index.html

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:50 PM

Yeah that challenge thing is interesting, bigger motor less HP and TQ

I am also wondering why they quit pulling at 5000 when TQ and HP where still climing?

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 07:55 PM

Quote:

It’s going in a 29 Chrysler coupe street rod………… its just going to be a tire smoker

If you guys don’t believe the numbers then call Hod Heads and ask them how much they make with these types of combos. (336) 352-4866
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:01 PM

Quote:

You guys are funny

630 FT LBS of TQ... 1.78/INCH

The best N/A motor I have ever dynoed was 1.52/INCH That was 16.5:1, CNC heads flowing 390 cfm, Sheetmetal tunnel ram on Oxygenated race gas.

Most motors we dyno with heads flowing similar to yours, cam specs & compression also in parameters of yours make in the neighborhood of 1.20-1.25 FT LBS/INCH

You may not want to hear it, but it's just the truth.

That dyno is currently reading about 30% high. He needs to re-check his calibration & the strain gauge. It's a new SF902, it is a nice piece & motor looks to be well built from the pics, the power #'s are simply inaccurate, it's basically impossible to make those kind of #'s TQ wise N/A with that type of combo.

Don't worry about the HP #'s as others have said those are just being calculated of of the TQ that the strain gauge is reading & for whatever reason it is reading incorrectly or he has a correction factor error in the computer programming. Just focus on the TQ #'s being so far out of wack.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:04 PM

You may want to read the engine masters challenge article to better understand their numbers. If I am not mistaken each pull is an average HP and average torque over a range of RPM. They made three pulls with an average for each pull then averaged those numbers.

Long story short the numbers in engine masters challenge score card are not peak HP.

Leon

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:17 PM

Quote:

You may want to read the engine masters challenge article to better understand their numbers. If I am not mistaken each pull is an average HP and average torque over a range of RPM. They made three pulls with an average for each pull then averaged those numbers.

Long story short the numbers in engine masters challenge score card are not peak HP.Leon

Peek hp I was told by hot heads was 613hp at 6500 and the heads flowed 367 cfm ported
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:25 PM

I would question the funky torque curve. I wonder if they had enough resistance in the brake when they pulled it.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:52 PM

Quote:

You guys are funny

yea but they are spinning them 9k
Posted By: patrick

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 08:56 PM

Quote:

to echo Ryan and Dave, the high torque numbers are the first thing that didn't pass the smell test. the highest torque/CID pump gas motors I can recall seeing results of are ~1.4lbs/CID. that would put a 360 cube motor at 500 ft-lbs. most of those are usually high compression, pretty decently sized cam motors, stuff that's on the edge of pump gas capability.....

if the torque numbers are off, then the HP numbers (derived from torque) are off....

as far as 700HP roundy round motors, my bet is their HP peak ~8k RPM, or higher, which would require ~460 lb-ft at that RPM, which means a biiiig cam, probably in the 270-280@.050 range....they're probably also running methanol and extreme compression ratios.

heck, top nascar engines (what I'd call bleeding edge technology for pushrod motors) are making 750-850hp from 358 cubes, but at ~10,000 RPM...which again, requires about 450 lb-ft at that RPM....

if I had to swagger, based on the combo, I bet a more realistic number is going to be 400-460hp, 420-450lb-ft of torque, with HP peak in the 5800 RPM range.....
Posted By: fishy340

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 09:04 PM

440ci sb here with indy 360-1's 620lb tq in mine sounds a little more in line

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 09:30 PM

The hp numbers don’t mean anything to us. I’ve said that several times. We’re not dyno racers.

I thing I DIDN’T say was flow numbers, I don’t know where that comment came from.
I never mentioned what was done to the heads either.

What ever the case is……. I still find you guys funny. What’s the next heated discussion going to be

Attached picture 6647236-IMG00019-20110523-0842.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 09:47 PM

"The hp numbers don’t mean anything to us." Then why post them? Everyone has been nice to you,even if the "dyno numbers" (that you posted) were far from realistic with the info you provided.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 09:57 PM

Quote:

The hp numbers don’t mean anything to us. I’ve said that several times. We’re not dyno racers.

I thing I DIDN’T say was flow numbers, I don’t know where that comment came from.
I never mentioned what was done to the heads either.

What ever the case is……. I still find you guys funny. What’s the next heated discussion going to be

you know that is one sweet looking motor, I don't care if it makes 100hp

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah that challenge thing is interesting, bigger motor less HP and TQ

I am also wondering why they quit pulling at 5000 when TQ and HP where still climing?

Thats what threw me off... I thought it was maxed
out on the original numbers... so the HP/TQ could
very well be in line... didnt realize they quit at
5000 rpm... like you said... even the TQ was still
climbing
EDIT
for the calibration it is being run on
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 10:19 PM

Your dyno #s are absolutely believable and are completely realistic for this motor. IF IT WERE SUPERCHARGED.
Maybe you should go play on the websites where the ricers play. They would believe you.
On a different note still a VERY VERY cool motor indeed.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 10:20 PM

Quote:

"The hp numbers don’t mean anything to us." Then why post them? Everyone has been nice to you,even if the "dyno numbers" (that you posted) were far from realistic with the info you provided.

I would have posted the numbers if they were 300hp. I’m happy for my old man It’s the first Hemi since him and Ron Ritter purchased Chris Karamesines “Chizler” in the early / mid sixties.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 11:03 PM

The cool factor is there no doubt. He should be very proud. But the numbers don't add up. Was it the same dyno that the engine in the 64 Polara was on? It seemed to be a little off with 550 HP and 12.44 et's. At 4000 lbs the HP would figure closer to 450. What was the MPH on the Polara?
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/23/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm. Spence would that thing fit in my car?

Very cool engine! Im happy for the old fart too!

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 01:21 AM

Quote:

Those appear to be HotHeads headers, as well as their heads, intake, valley cover, front cover, pulleys,water crossover, etc. And the Stef's pan.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 01:37 AM

I've heard the early Hemi heads don't need a lot of lift to flow good numbers. I've only heard that though, no personal experience. However who cares what it makes, it's got the major cool factor going on and in a 29 Chrysler it should be sweet. Have fun and tell the old man I envy him.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Those appear to be HotHeads headers, as well as their heads, intake, valley cover, front cover, pulleys,water crossover, etc. And the Steff's pan.

I think they are Hot Heads headers, non sure. You nailed the rest of it

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

I've heard the early Hemi heads don't need a lot of lift to flow good numbers. I've only heard that though, no personal experience. However who cares what it makes, it's got the major cool factor going on and in a 29 Chrysler it should be sweet. Have fun and tell the old man I envy him.

Thank you
Be careful what you say otherwise you may get in a wrestling match

Attached picture 6647685-imagesCAMY6NMN.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 02:59 AM

enormous picture

Damn I love those old Hemis, Rock on dude

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 08:14 AM

BSFSC's are WAY off which means the HP figures are off too.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 08:24 AM

Now that is really a cool setup. Good #'s and good luck with it. Ron
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 03:48 PM

The old Hemis are getting hard to find. I built this 392 for my sister's 34 Ford coupe and she absolutely loved it. Your dad will too!

Attached picture 6648483-Lori's392.jpg
Posted By: speedy383

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 04:13 PM

Georgeous and the coolest look going on any street rod.Old Hemis cannot be matched for wow factor.There are several in my neighborhood, one with stacks with efi.All that said,they all claim 600 hp,but mt buddies 340 mild street 69 dart and my 100% stock 66 hemi coronet, as well as any ls1/2 powered street rods blow them away.But who cares,you are not building a race car.I still want a willis with a 392.
Posted By: furious70

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

BSFSC's are WAY off which means the HP figures are off too.

Good golly yes, of everything presented in this thread that might be the most amazing. Pretty sure every engine builder and OEM car manufacturer will be knocking down their doors to ask how they are doing that!
Posted By: RAMM

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 07:29 PM

Looks like the ran the air turbine on only one carb for that test to me. J.Rob

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 10:12 PM

Quote:

Looks like the ran the air turbine on only one carb for that test to me. J.Rob

Correct Did the same thing on a few of our dual carb engines. Dont know how that changes things

Anyone want to see more wrestling pictures

Attached picture 6648961-IMG00019-20110523-0842.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/24/11 10:15 PM

Quote:

Georgeous and the coolest look going on any street rod.Old Hemis cannot be matched for wow factor.There are several in my neighborhood, one with stacks with efi.All that said,they all claim 600 hp,but mt buddies 340 mild street 69 dart and my 100% stock 66 hemi coronet, as well as any ls1/2 powered street rods blow them away.But who cares,you are not building a race car.I still want a willis with a 392.

The old fart was just going after the "WOW, thats cool factor"

Attached picture 6648964-IMG00017-20110523-0841.jpg
Posted By: fourspeed

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

Thank you

I don't even want to know where you found that picture.

Wait... ok, yes I do.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 02:13 AM

Yes the BSFCs are way off. So back calculate the horsepower using the fuel flow and say 0.45 lb/hp-hr. It'll probably give more reasonable numbers. All said, it's a heck of an engine no matter what the HP and well worth bragging about. It's going to look super in that hot rod.

R.

Another rule of thumb is it takes about 0.6 scfm to make 1 hp. So divide the airflow by 0.6 to get power.

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you

You want it

Wait... ok, yes I do.

Attached picture 6649389-bigguy.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you

You want it

Wait... ok, yes I do.

This is my sister, poor girl lost her spine in a car crash

Attached picture 6649394-sister.jpg

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you

You want it

Wait... ok, yes I do.

This is my sister, poor girl lost her spine in a car crash

Here's dad last bday

Attached picture 6649403-dad.jpg
Posted By: fourspeed

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 10:13 PM

Wow. Your dad added some more ink since I last saw him. Tell him to shave his shoulders - they're getting out-of-hand.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: 354 HEMI off the dyno - 05/25/11 10:38 PM

my slant six,made 852lbs of tq on westtech's dyno,with a 2 barrel lol j/k...either way have fun with ur motor
© 2024 Moparts Forums