Moparts

A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing

Posted By: B1KILLER

A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 01:10 AM

Those were the days
Mopars Ruling The Street

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280240&highlight=brooklyn+heavy
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 01:31 AM

GREAT story!!!! Wonder where those cars are at now???
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 02:17 AM

Quote:

Eugene Coard the last one living of THE MUTT BROS./RON LYLES CREW is a member here
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 02:20 AM

I really enjoyed that!!!

Thank you!!

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 02:39 AM

Attached picture 6636825-5707932-1-SC-047_Brooklyn_Heavy.jpg

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 02:41 AM

Attached picture 6636833-ronaldlyles.jpg
Posted By: drago

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 03:24 AM

One of those guys is called Seymour Balz?
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 03:36 AM

BKiller.
What a way to wake a sleeping giant.
J&B's is right down the block from my pad. Now an empty and ugly as sin Condominium. The service station was there to just about four years back.
As the seventies took hold of the city, it will return during these times as well, trust me.
History doesn't repeat itself, It rhymes with itself.
Posted By: 383man

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 03:46 AM

Too cool. The Mutt brothers were big in that and they did use ex Sox & Martin race cars from what I heard. I like the 68 Cuda with the Pro Stock type of scoop from that era. Thanks for posting. Ron
Posted By: cowbay

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:32 AM

Great find.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 12:42 PM

Awesome.
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 02:35 PM

Quote:

I wonder if he is related to Amanda Hugenkiss.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 05:44 PM

taken in my yard last summer

Attached picture 6637755-tmpphpVaeF3d.jpg

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 05:48 PM

Quote:

Too cool. The Mutt brothers were big in that and they did use ex Sox & Martin race cars from what I heard. I like the 68 Cuda with the Pro Stock type of scoop from that era. Thanks for posting. Ron

J&B Auto S&M built

Attached picture 6637756-1971cudalyles.jpg
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, that's Joe Oldham...went by "Seymour Balz" in the magazines though.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 10:37 PM

i saw that on .com and let me tell u those were the daysssssss! i remember 100's of cars in east ny tss parkin lot! i also remember the baddest buick electra 225 on the east coast on 150st lifting the wheels in that tank..all 4000lbs of it..and 10sec340 has a bad a@@ sb won alot of $ with it.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 10:58 PM

that was a cool read

A few more racers I remember

Peter Draggin
IP Freely

Ahh the good ole days

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:01 PM

Quote:

The "Mutt" Brothers
The Mutt Brothers were a group of street racers from Brooklyn. The members were Ronald Lyles, Eugene Coard, John 'Mutt' Lyles (the group was named after John) and Benny Dunham and Jessie Johnson (both of J&B Automotive in Brooklyn). They also raced professionally as a team in Pro Stock. As a Pro Stock team, they've owned a number of incredible race cars, including 1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock (previously owned by S&K Speed Shop), a Sox & Martin 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi Super Stock and a 1973 Plymouth Duster. Driver Ronald Lyles raced against 'Super John' McFadden in arguably the most famous street race that ever took place, a race now known as the "Quarter Million Quarter Mile". Hi-Performance Cars magazine published an article in the late-'80s called the "Quarter Million Quarter Mile" (and was also republished in "Muscle Cars" magazine. It can also be found on several websites) which is an account of the race almost 20 years after it happened. In it, the name 'Mutt Brothers' was changed to 'Mudd Brothers' for liability reasons.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:01 PM

Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd
From Brooklyn, NY. Heavy was a street racer who started a business called "Heavy Racing Enterprises" under which he owned several professional race cars, and hired several drivers to do the shoeing. Notable drivers he hired included Ronald Lyles of the Mutt Brothers, Levi Holmes, Herb McCandless and Carmen Rotonda. Heavy had a son, known as "Heavy Jr." It appears Boyd spent about 25 years in jail supposedly for "tax troubles". He was arrested in the mid-'70s in the midst of a successful Pro Stock campaign, and I believe he was released in 2002.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:02 PM

Tab Talmadge
From Brooklyn, NY. Tab was a successful street racer, drug dealer and numbers runner. He was friends with the members of the Mutt Brothers and Long Island speed shop owner Barry Pittard. He purchased 'Dyno' Don Nicholson's 1965 Ford Mustang 427-ci SOHC 'Cammer' A/FX 4-speed car right after Don set a track record at Englishtown, NJ with the car. Tab was a real Ford man, apparently one hell of a driver in any Ford he drove and reportedly street racers would ask Tab to race their cars for them. Tab passed away in December of 2007.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:06 PM

"Super John" McFadden
From Brooklyn, NY. McFadden, also known as "Big John", owned a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro which he had **** Harrell modify into an SS/AA legal racer. He raced Ronald Lyles of the Mutt Brothers in possibly the most famous street race to ever occur. This race was called the "Quarter Million Quarter Mile". He also raced in Pro Stock for Dick Harrell.

"Fast Earl" Mitchell
From Paterson, NJ. 'Fast Earl' street raced on 150th in Brooklyn (near Kennedy Airport). He also raced professionally in Pro Stock during the early-'70s. He owned a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro (which he used to race on the street and at the track). Some sources state the car had a Booth-Arons built big-block and some even state Wally Booth actually owned and raced the car before Mitchell bought it. He was also a member of the "United Soul Racing Team", a team of racers created and organized by Mutt Brother member Eugene Coard.

Willie "Cam Rod" Campbell
From Brooklyn, NY. He also raced professionally in Pro Stock. He bought Platt & Yate's Pro Stock 1970 Ford Maverick.

The Smallwood Brothers

James and Wilbert "Wicked Willie" Smallwood raced both on the street and professionally in Pro Stock. They owned a 440 1969 notchback-roof car and two ex-Sox & Martin race cars: they were Ronnie's cars the S&M 71 Cuda and 1972 Plymouth Duster (my car)
Posted By: LIL'BROTHER

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/17/11 11:24 PM

fred,someone told me that will or james smallwood possibly lives in north carolina.have you heard this?great old stories.real racing!david sox
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 12:48 AM

I`m not sure but I think Earl Mitchell is still around the Paterson N.J. area and still involved in street racing. My engine builder/ machine shop is there and I`ve heard his name mentioned.
Posted By: Darrell

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 01:17 AM

Quote:

Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd
From Brooklyn, NY. Heavy was a street racer who started a business called "Heavy Racing Enterprises" under which he owned several professional race cars, and hired several drivers to do the shoeing. Notable drivers he hired included Ronald Lyles of the Mutt Brothers, Levi Holmes, Herb McCandless and Carmen Rotonda.

Great thread!! Didn't funny car racer Al Hoffman do a little NY street car racing back in the day?
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 01:29 AM

Quote:

Excellent post by the way !!!

I dont know where any of the cars are BUT I definately know where one of the HEMI 4 speeds are.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:13 AM

Fred. Ever heard of a gent who has now passed away by the name of Jimmy Connie. He was a lead foot for Heavy.
Posted By: chryco

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:16 AM

Great Thread ! Keep em' comin' !
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:23 AM

Hey Fred....Who won the "Quarter Million Quarter Mile" race?? Wish that one was on youtube!!!!
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 06:13 AM

Very kool story & thread..
I thought we had some bad Mopars in SoCal street racing in the 60/70s but those Brooklyn cars looked awesome..

Just my $0.02..
Posted By: 383man

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 06:16 AM

I remember reading a street race about a 68 Hemi Cuda and a bigblock 454 Chevelle in a Cars mag I believe. Guess thats not the quarter million race ?? Ron

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 06:32 AM

The Dart won both times because the Camaro could not hook and the driver was not as slick as that slick shifting Hemi at mid-range. My friend was at the race and saw the whole thing from start to finish.
Hemi was fast, but the Camaro was a bit faster and with out a good driver, the car was drunk and it was a done deal. It happened on the old stretch leading up to 150th St, not the stretch every one knows today.
Posted By: chris3

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 02:52 PM

I'm going to check in on this from time to time and keep it at the front. Eugene may be out of town and has not seen it. It will be real interesting when he can add some first hand comments.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:20 PM

Quote:

fred,someone told me that will or james smallwood possibly lives in north carolina.have you heard this?great old stories.real racing!david sox

Eugene told me someone in the family has a tire store in North Washington NC but I don't remember if he saidf James lived there or still in NY

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:47 PM

Quote:

Fred. Ever heard of a gent who has now passed away by the name of Jimmy Connie. He was a lead foot for Heavy.

Lee I* was at Heavies when he had a fleet of pumkin Camaros and met many of the guys and could have but I don't remember him

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 03:49 PM

here's a video of Brooklyn Heavy a few years ago

web page
Posted By: dOoC

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 04:01 PM

I recall the story of some of the NY Boyz showed up for some high $$ "street" action in Detroit. I was in FL or MA at the time ... just heard what happened.

All these guys had were race cars ...sometimes with no muffs. I don't think that Addison was out-there but it was either Andy Mano or another Chevy guy ....took them on a street "cruise" and they never made it through that. PLUS they lost the bet because the "cruise" was part of the competition.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 05:59 PM

Growing up in N.Y. was the $hit, I remenber hearing
all the street racing going on, on the Cross BX, n Sheridan...
When I was able to stay out late ride my dirt bike n go watch...
Seen some krazi accidents
also, resulting in serious injuries, loss of limbs, even some deaths...
Not trying to bring a negitive side
to the thread, I love street racing, I know Im stupid
or whatever you say. Ain't nothing like that high
of racing for some coin, yes I do at the track also...
But street racing will never end. Miss racing on the Hutch in NYC... Connecting Highway exc

Attached picture 6639450-decal.jpg

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 06:18 PM

Here you go Fred

Attached picture 6639485-FrednKyle.jpg

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 09:15 PM

Attached picture 6639723-SMALLWOOD72%20Cuda.jpg

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 11:48 PM

Attached picture 6639954-lylescuda.jpg
Posted By: hemicop

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/18/11 11:56 PM

What does it say on the side of the scoop?
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/19/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

The Dart won both times because the Camaro could not hook and the driver was not as slick as that slick shifting Hemi at mid-range. My friend was at the race and saw the whole thing from start to finish.
Hemi was fast, but the Camaro was a bit faster and with out a good driver, the car was drunk and it was a done deal. It happened on the old stretch leading up to 150th St, not the stretch every one knows today.

with ya, Lee,..but actually the Hemi outlegged the Camaro on the big end.

Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/19/11 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Eugene Coard the last one living of THE MUTT BROS./RON LYLES CREW is a member here

Big respect to you Eugene AND the Mutt Bros. Crew!! Thanks for "building the school" and
"teaching" us younguns (back in the day) how it's done.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/19/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

What does it say on the side of the scoop?

"RAPID"
Posted By: AtomicDog

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 05/19/11 05:14 PM

Great info!! Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: Qwik426

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 01:03 AM

Quote:

Yep.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If I remember correctly, that's Joe Oldham...went by "Seymour Balz" in the magazines though.

You "remember" incorrectly. Joe Oldham wrote for Hi-Performance Cars Magazine plus other magazines put out by Martin L. Schorr's company and used his real name. Seymour Balz is the one who used a nom de plume (real name Pat Cunningham) and wrote for Hot Cars and other magazines published by publisher who whose name I forget.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lee I* was at Heavies when he had a fleet of pumkin Camaros and met many of the guys and could have but I don't remember him

Lee,

Jimmy's correct surname is Carney. The way (most) New Yawkers would pronounce it, it does come out sounding "Connie."

Fred,

Jimmy wouldn've been hard to miss amongst that crowd (if he was there that day) 'cause he was a white guy.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 01:52 AM

What I'd like to know is: how the hell did Heavy's Duster pass NHRA tech? The rulebooks from that era clearly state no outer wheelwell opening alterations that deviated from stock shape--and this car certainly did violate that rule with its radiusing.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 02:08 AM

Brooklyn "Superfly" Heavy with his race car transporter and customized Cadillac similar to the one used in movie of same name. Can anyone say: life imitating art? Think about it.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 02:18 AM

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 02:55 AM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr...t=relevancerank

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 03:45 AM

Quote:

This is the 1968 Barracuda (updated with 1969 sheetmetal) that Ron Lyles bought from Sox & Martin. I can tell by the way the rear quarter panels are deflecting upon launch. My guess that's due to a little too long in the acid dipping tank and/or no subframe connectors.

Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 04:00 AM

Quote:

that was a cool read

A few more racers I remember

Peter Draggin
IP Freely

Ahh the good ole days

I remember Mike Oxuge amd Hugh Jorgan

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/09/15 04:09 AM

Quote:

"Super John" McFadden
From Brooklyn, NY. McFadden, also known as "Big John", owned a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro which he had **** Harrell modify into an SS/AA legal racer. He raced Ronald Lyles of the Mutt Brothers in possibly the most famous street race to ever occur. This race was called the "Quarter Million Quarter Mile". He also raced in Pro Stock for Dick Harrell.

That SS/AA designation is incorrect. No way John's Camaro could've fit in that class. That is Hemi Barracuda and Dart territory. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Hemi A-bodies weren't classified as such until 1971; prior to that they were still in SS/B and SS/BA.

Posted By: moparx

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/10/15 02:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You "remember" incorrectly. Joe Oldham wrote for Hi-Performance Cars Magazine plus other magazines put out by Martin L. Schorr's company and used his real name. Seymour Balz is the one who used a nom de plume (real name Pat Cunningham) and wrote for Hot Cars and other magazines published by publisher who whose name I forget.

i haven't heard that name in YEARS ! wasn't the head shot of seymore balz a guy with a pointy hat and "ed roth" style gotee ? he certainly had an amusing editorial style to say the least.

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/18/15 02:55 AM

Quote:

i haven't heard that name in YEARS ! wasn't the head shot of seymore balz a guy with a pointy hat and "ed roth" style gotee ? he certainly had an amusing editorial style to say the least.

Yep, that's the guy!

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/18/15 03:45 AM

"It was raced around Chicago. We decided it looked a lot like Brooklyn Heavy's car, so it became a tribute to him."

http://topnotchvehicles.com/v-web/gallery/album03?page=1

Here's the original parked in front of Heavy's shop.

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: A Little History, Brooklyn Street Racing - 01/18/15 05:48 AM

Carmen Rotunda built the 302 that's been in my dads '63 Impala since '72.
They grew up not far from each other. My father was friends with Carmen's father tiny.
Carmen bought Van Idersteine's speed shop, from Pete Van Iderstine when he moved to California.
© 2024 Moparts Forums