Moparts

TRANNY FLUID

Posted By: rickb67

TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:00 AM

Gonna change fluid in the cuda before it goes to the track and was wondering what everyone is running in there 727.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:06 AM

Castrol Mercon Type F here
Posted By: dOoC

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:30 AM

The last stuff I got was at TSC ....5 gallon pail of type-F.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:36 AM

Dextron Mercon because John Cope tells me to....
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 06:40 AM

I have heard Dexron from some trans builders and Type F from other builders. Maybe we should use 50% dexron and 50% type F. I have been using Mobil 1 ATF. It is Synthetic and for all transmissions, at least that is what I was told. I have aprox. 950 passes on the 727 in the Lebaron with same Mobil 1 fluid as the first pass. This is the beginning of 3rd season. No band adjustment or any maint. at all. Still cherry red and smelling sweet. Won S/P and made it to semis in FB this past sat night. 15 passes in 1 night. Now let me go find some wood to knock on.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:18 PM

Type F.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 05:50 PM

Cheapo type F
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 06:30 PM

Mobil 1 syn. w/Lucas additive works well for me!!

Attached picture 6624845-132825512_Nn1f9AM1_87.jpg
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/09/11 07:57 PM

Quote:

Cheapo type F

99% of trans builder's will say Type F. it has a bit of grit ,for lack if another term, that helps the clutches grab. since all brands meet the mfg. requirements the chaper the better works for me. I have been doing this for over 50 years and never seena failure do to the choice or cost of fluids I used.
Posted By: Rodney

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 01:51 PM

Dextron III is what I run as recommended by my transmission builder. When I asked about running synthetic he said to save the money and change the fluid more often.

quote from the Valvoline web Q&A page
Quote:

What is the difference between DexronIII/Mercon and type "F" transmission fluid?
The Valvoline Type F transmission fluid is a high quality NON-friction modified fluid. Dexron III/Mercon includes friction modifiers in the fluid additive package.

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 02:33 PM

Quote:

I have heard Dexron from some trans builders and Type F from other builders. Maybe we should use 50% dexron and 50% type F. I have been using Mobil 1 ATF. It is Synthetic and for all transmissions, at least that is what I was told. I have aprox. 950 passes on the 727 in the Lebaron with same Mobil 1 fluid as the first pass. This is the beginning of 3rd season. No band adjustment or any maint. at all. Still cherry red and smelling sweet. Won S/P and made it to semis in FB this past sat night. 15 passes in 1 night. Now let me go find some wood to knock on.

So tell me how are you going to save money by changing the cheap regular fluid more often? Synthetic is the only way to go in my opinion. Having said that I use Hyundai SPIII in mine, it's synthetic and I get it for free, can't beat that with a stick.
Posted By: BobR

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So tell me how are you going to save money by changing the cheap regular fluid more often? Synthetic is the only way to go in my opinion. Having said that I use Hyundai SPIII in mine, it's synthetic and I get it for free, can't beat that with a stick.

Really depends on the application. We've tried everything from synthetic to John Deere tractor fluid and when it's burned it gets changed and it's burned a few times per race.
Posted By: Rodney

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 02:48 PM

Free is a very good price!

The thinking of the transmission builder is changing the fluid more often may not save more $$ with the coast of fluid. But a person may be more apt to change the fluid and "inspect" the pan for debris and for anything potentially going wrong = saving expensive hard parts and bearings. After the transmission issue I am currently dealing with and knowing how fast parts can add up. Prevention is going to be a priority when it comes to the 727 behind the 572. We have $3000. + invested in drums 6 pinion planetary gears bearings and more, building these cars aren't cheep by any means.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 02:49 PM

I run dextron, type F, Mobil 1 synthetic and hydaulic oil in mine over the years and to be honest I didn't see any earth shattering advantages of one over the other besides the hydraulic oil lowering the stall a few hundred RPMs.

Never had failures with any of them. I think the most important factor is building the tranny right, then run whatever fluid you want....
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 03:11 PM

Quote:

I run dextron, type F, Mobil 1 synthetic and hydaulic oil in mine over the years and to be honest I didn't see any earth shattering advantages of one over the other besides the hydraulic oil lowering the stall a few hundred RPMs.

Never had failures with any of them. I think the most important factor is building the tranny right, then run whatever fluid you want....

i heard the tractor fluid lowered the stall. by how much does it change it?
Posted By: moparacer

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 03:22 PM

Quote:

i heard the tractor fluid lowered the stall. by how much does it change it?

I think it depends on how tight your converter is but I ran the heavier AW68 20 wt and it lowered it between 200-300 rpms.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 03:57 PM

I just put the regular B&M in mine,because it is the type F fluid. At the cost of it I hope it is a better fluid. B&M will tell you unless you are running one of the new metric transmission don't run theirs or anyone else's synthetic fluid.

ATI has just come out with a synthetic fluid that you can use in the older transmissions.(ATI also said not to run synthetic before they come up with their own brand)

All of the above was told to me by techs at ATI(whose trans&converter I run)& B&M.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: TRANNY FLUID - 05/10/11 08:58 PM

Synthetics offer extra insurance in extreme applications, like racing, mainly because of their extra resistance to heat and breakdown. I've been using Amsoil Supershift for years and my trans rebuilder said to keep using whatever I've been using.

Some fluids for street applications provide softer shifts for "comfort" and trans life in that particular application and certain "qualities" are necessary for proper computer control. Type F has been used in place of Dextron in race 727's for years because it shifts hard and holds well. Of course, it helps to use aftermarket bands and clutches also. Amsoil Supershift provides the best of everything as far as I'm concerned.
© 2024 Moparts Forums