Moparts

Grudge race advice

Posted By: Silverbullet2

Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 12:25 AM

Finally after 7 years of blood sweat and money my 68 GTX is nearing completion. I shelved the original 440 for a "stock appearing" 525 Arruzza Hemi. 11-1 comp, solid roller cam, worked Stage V heads, Vanke intake, stock hemi carbs. May upgrade to edelbrock 750s soon. New Mcleod SFI flywheel and clutch, freshened 18 spline 4 speed, and exchanged the 3.54s in the Dana for 4.10s. I've only driven it 4 or 5 miles and it's pretty snappy. I've since added 2756015 M&H drag radials on 15X8 magnum 500s.

A former co-worker has an 09 Shelby GT500 and has talked some smack all along. I'd really enjoy showing him the backside of the X. I really think deep 11s are possible with this car, maybe better, but I haven't been on a dragstrip in years. I'm no Ronnie Sox or Joel Nystrom, but I truly believe I should be able to cover that Shelby. What do I need to do as far as setting up the car and driving technique to get out front and stay there. THANKS GUYS!
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 12:29 AM

Learn how to do a burnout (or if your tires would even likea burnout), learn how to cut a light, and most importantly how to shift without blowing the 2-3 shift or taking it out of the torque curve. Learn when to lift - if it gets too out of shape - better to lose a race than wad up your car.

Other than that - keep it straight and have fun.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:27 AM

Let him talk all he wants,but don't let him talk you into his race. If he wants to race make him run you Heads-Up don't give nothing don't ask for nothing!! Always have the understanding RED-LIGHT you lose if either of you cross into the others lane you lose,other than that 1st one to the finish line. That rules out him leaving early or trying to veer over in your lane to get you to back off.

Do not race him till you 1st make sure both you & car are ready. And last but not least,Make him run for some Big $$$$.CASH IS GOOD
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:32 AM

what has he done to the shelby as far as upgrades.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:45 AM

"May upgrade to edelbrock 750s soon"

dude all that cash and you want the cheapest non-performance carb you can buy? get a set of holleys and let him see tail lights. That's a ton of motor. I'd guess tuned and if you can hook it should run mid 10's. I'd be upset with anything less.
I think my heap could keep up w/ a stock 500 in the 1/4 and I have 1/2 what you got.

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:55 AM

I would get the biggest softest true slicks that will fit under it,and not let anyone know you have them to you pull up to the line beside him to race. Go practice till you know what RPM to leave the line at. Get out on him & let him try & run you down.
Go ahead and put the Holley carbs on it,bet enough $$$ to cover the cost of the Holley's.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 03:21 AM

You shouldn't have a problem with him - no matter what you do. Just do it at the drag strip. If he's near stock, he will be running in the 13's somewhere.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 03:32 AM

go to the track and practice

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 04:09 AM

It's a factory street hemi intake, that has the vanke mods so holleys are a no go. I want to run in a quarter, but there's a local eighth mile dragstrip where I might go on a test and tune night and figure out the launch and try to get my 60ft times dialed in. With drag radials should I go through the water or not? Do burnout in second gear? I figure that Shelby is set up more for handling and road courses. His has been lowered an inch or so and maybe that stiff suspension doesn't transfer weight so good? I know he's taken the mufflers off and only running cats and straight pipes. He's one that can't leave anything alone, but I doubt if he's done anything really radical. I wouldn't put some kind of programmer or maybe different pulleys past him. He's an older guy too, early fifties and I doubt if he's willing to really flog that thing. I'd like to get out front first and not really show him everything unless I have to.
Posted By: 1 Bad Duster

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 04:29 AM

Yes if you can stay in front of him just beat him by a little. Tell him that was close.Then see if he would put up money on the next race and rap him..Good luck by the way..
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 04:31 AM

Sadly for you if the other owner isn't an idiot, that GT500 is $1,000 and a decent driver away from being a 10 second car.

I think the driver is gonna make the difference on this one.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 05:12 AM

I would not count on him not driving the snot out of it because he is in his 50's.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 05:25 AM

Quote:

You shouldn't have a problem with him - no matter what you do. Just do it at the drag strip. If he's near stock, he will be running in the 13's somewhere.

The new V-6 Mustangs are cracking into the high 13's - the Shelbys are into the low 12's on drag radials.
Posted By: topside

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 06:04 AM

You might want to do some research on your adversary, in terms of what the various magazines got for ET & MPH. Might be better to run a 1/4 rather than 1/8, Hemis have a strong top-end "charge". His car may have traction control. I think the new Mustangs require a rear brake change to fit 15" wheels & slicks, but big-rim drag radials are available, so see what he's got for tires. He may not be good at power-shifting (Tremec, IIRC). If you can hook, mid-11s should be pretty easy, but you should put a few laps on your car & know. May the Dudek-Force be with you!
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 08:40 AM

Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but let me inform you. I have an '09 Shelby with radials, good tune, gone 11.73 @ 122 and I'm a terrible shifter/driver. So, you'd better get plenty of practice before you run that Shelby or you will get embarassed in the 1/8 or 1/4mi. If he's a good driver I'd honestly say you are in trouble. Hope that gives you an idea.

dj
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 12:01 PM

Im a little confused here, there is a big group of f-body small block stroker cars that are running in the 10-s n/a all day and 9-s with a lil juice, very streetable, modest cams...ect...so why are there so many 11-12 sec big blocks afraid of somthing running in the high 11-s or 12s.

If the OP-s BB car cant handle this mid/high 11 second stang ( I dont know what to say)....Im not trying to sound neg by any means when we were running 12-s on the street in the 80-s which would smoke any modded new ride, now 10 second street cars are the norm for alot of F and A body cars are doing it, and really even in the 10-s you have to look out for the real street race cars in the 9-s and even in the 8-s.

If your not into the "street" scene go check it out, I prefer 2 cars on a old country road, but go watch some modern street racing with the old iron v8-s, as foolish as some may consider it, it is what it is.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 12:55 PM

I'd be worried if I were you.........Every Aruzza Hemi I've ever seen was an absolute turd.....combine that with someone like you that has very little dragstrip experience, very little 4-speed racing experience and is new to the car....if the guy can drive his Mustang at all, you're going to get spanked........

I bet you'll be lucky to get into the 12's.......
Posted By: dc426

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

dude all that cash and you want the cheapest non-performance carb you can buy? get a set of holleys and let him see tail lights. That's a ton of motor. I'd guess tuned and if you can hook it should run mid 10's. I'd be upset with anything less.
I think my heap could keep up w/ a stock 500 in the 1/4 and I have 1/2 what you got.

Hunter, DUDE, please tell us what Holley carbs will fit a stock hemi intake????

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 01:34 PM

Whats wrong with a couple afb's? Dave's FAST RR does just fine as do dozens of NSS cars.
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 02:45 PM

i would wait untill i get the motor tuned at least , new carbs out of the box what every they are could be a big power killer if not tuned right !
IF your car is tuned right and you can drive good you will win if not the mustang has got you , hard to beat fuel injection with poorly tuned carbs !
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The new V-6 Mustangs are cracking into the high 13's - the Shelbys are into the low 12's on drag radials.

Sorry, I didn't see the 09 part. Thought he was referring to the original 60's version. Yes, I believe the new Shelby's are running in the low 12's / high 11's off the shelf.
Posted By: speedfreak440

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 03:02 PM

I think it's a Drivers race. Whoever gets out front will probably stay there but don't play around with him, if you get out on him keep your foot in it. Sure Hemi's have a top-end "charge" but so do DOHC fords with whipple twin-screws & God only knows how much boost. It is easy to get alot of power out of the Terminators & Shelbys. Whatever you do.... practice, practice, practice. do it on slicks & don't take him lightly.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 03:40 PM

go ahead and race him,there,s no way you can lose,even if he wins the race he still has to drive home in a mustang
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 03:46 PM

Like said before, get some slicks and practice at the track.
Your car should work better on slicks than radials w/ the manual trans.

I'd have to agree on the top end charge comment. I wouldn't count on the hemi outrunning that cobra w/ a topend charge alone. If you can make the car hook and launch it hard, keep it on an 1/8 mile track and you'll be better off.
A lot will depend on what he has done to the cobra though.

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 05:11 PM

I did not know a Holley would not work on your intake

I would think about a intake change as well. I know $$$ is hard to come up with nowdays,but it sounds like you may have to much $$$ in it already to lose HP with a stock intake & carbs. Or maybe some of the NSS guys on here could help you out.

I don't know much about Hemi's but I got $$$ that says my Wedge engine will out-run them fords.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 05:43 PM

I find it extemely entertaining that Fords have to use blowers to get them to run. A guy here bought a new Mustang in '06 and was like a typical Mustang rooster until the new guy showed up with a Subaru and spanked his rear. Then the excuses were out like wild fire.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 06:30 PM

Any pics of your X????
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 06:38 PM

The X with slicks vs the Shelby with slicks.. I have to say the Shelby.. The comment on the guy having to ride home in a mustang is funny.. He will have a cd in, the a/c on and cruise at 70-75 while getting 20mpg..

nothing wrong with that at all...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hunter, DUDE, please tell us what Holley carbs will fit a stock hemi intake????

"Vanke intake" holleys no work on that??? shame. will the 800 thunders work?
Posted By: Roger 68 Charger

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 06:51 PM

So how much air should he be running in a pair of slicks?
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/06/11 07:14 PM

You better be ready for a race.
You car should have 10 second potential if tuned and driven properly but it doesn't take too much to get the Shelbys to run real quick and still be driven everyday.
I tangled with a modified one last summer on the street in my high 11 second 440 Sixpack 4 speed Challenger....he had me by a full car the entire race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN-7wf0mmsI

Attached picture 6620549-challistrip.jpg
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 01:36 AM

You don't want any part of that mustang. Any descent driver would eat you alive. Sorry but that's just how it is.

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 01:54 AM

Well opinions vary. I shoulda probably mentioned I work at a ford dealership, and have worked on and driven several GT500s. They are killer... About 100 times better than any mustang from the 60s or 70s any way you look at it. My intent here was to find out how I could get the most out of my car. Trust me, I know the Shelby's will run. I've had the X since 1983, but admittedly I'm a little rusty with the 4 speed. It was a hard car to hook even with the heated up 440. That's the reason I'm asking you guys. I'd like to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can if a race ever happens. Tips on doing a proper burnout, setting the tire pressure, making the chassis work, and transfer weight, are the things I'm asking for your advice on. I imagine Holley carbs do make more power than AFBs but I'm not willing to buy an intake, carbs, and another air cleaner to gain another 35-40 hp. The 750 edelbrocks definitely won't be out of the box. They'll be set up specifically for my motor.

The Shelby owner? He's just the type of guy you'd love to relieve of a couple grand. Pear shaped, backside shaped like a chair bottom, lot more money than sense. When he needs work done on his car he pays somebody at the dealership to do it. He did spend the better part of a day installing a rear seat delete kit in the Shelby, and some tacky window louvers. About as hands on as he gets is to paint the brake calipers red on every vehicle he owns. The kinda guy JC Whitney sends a calender every christmas. That car has never seen a drag strip and I doubt seriously if he has the nards to keep his right foot planted while he goes through the gearbox. Most of the road tests I've read on Shelbys had them running low 13s, and I don't think they had Betty White driving either.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 01:57 AM

Maybe someone can lend you a stout small block for the race
Posted By: The Cuda Guy

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 02:16 AM

Quote:

Why so he can lose LOL!!!

I think he is on the right track here with some very valad questions and by the description it sounds like it will be a close race. Good luck.

Don
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Posted By: cudabin

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 07:07 AM

You will need a 10X28 or 10.5X28.5 slick with the 4.10 gears... You won't beat him on radials...

Disconnect the front sway bar if you have one, and put some clamps on the first 2 segments of the front of your rear leaf springs.

Air up your front tires to the max (40psi?) and try about 12 psi in the slicks.

Run open headers if you can, and have fun!!!

Cheers,

Arnie
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 04:55 PM

Quote:

Well opinions vary. I shoulda probably mentioned I work at a ford dealership, and have worked on and driven several GT500s. They are killer... About 100 times better than any mustang from the 60s or 70s any way you look at it. My intent here was to find out how I could get the most out of my car. Trust me, I know the Shelby's will run. I've had the X since 1983, but admittedly I'm a little rusty with the 4 speed. It was a hard car to hook even with the heated up 440. That's the reason I'm asking you guys. I'd like to stack the deck in my favor as much as I can if a race ever happens. Tips on doing a proper burnout, setting the tire pressure, making the chassis work, and transfer weight, are the things I'm asking for your advice on. I imagine Holley carbs do make more power than AFBs but I'm not willing to buy an intake, carbs, and another air cleaner to gain another 35-40 hp. The 750 edelbrocks definitely won't be out of the box. They'll be set up specifically for my motor.

The Shelby owner? He's just the type of guy you'd love to relieve of a couple grand. Pear shaped, backside shaped like a chair bottom, lot more money than sense. When he needs work done on his car he pays somebody at the dealership to do it. He did spend the better part of a day installing a rear seat delete kit in the Shelby, and some tacky window louvers. About as hands on as he gets is to paint the brake calipers red on every vehicle he owns. The kinda guy JC Whitney sends a calender every christmas. That car has never seen a drag strip and I doubt seriously if he has the nards to keep his right foot planted while he goes through the gearbox. Most of the road tests I've read on Shelbys had them running low 13s, and I don't think they had Betty White driving either.

I've seen them run as well and every one of them was 13.xx - 15.xx. So I think you're right on that. Unless the guys has spent money to make it run better - and it sounds like you are in a position to know that.

I wouldn't worry about it - I would set your car up for how YOU want it - and if you want to race him - call him out. Set it up and run head's up. Keep your foot in it - if you can beat him by 5 then do it.

Burnout techniques - if you don't havea line-lock - get one. Stab the throttle to get it up on the tire then back it down a bit. Look in the mirror for tire smoke, count to 2, then let off the lock and roll out of it.

The tree - leave on the last yellow. If you see Green - you're late.

Shifting - practice shifting to the point where the 2-3 shift (the most problematic for most folks) is a never miss. Don't let off the throttle when you shift - be able to do it QUICKLY.

Don't worry about playing games. Burnout, stage, launch, run it hard all the way out the back door.

If you get the chance to take your car to the track to practice and see what it really does, get used to some things, set a routine, and tune your car (ET is the best dyno on the planet) - then yu should do that. It will be time and money well spent - not to mention fun.

Now - go spank that Brand X.
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 08:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't worry about playing games. Burnout, stage, launch, run it hard all the way out the back door.

And practice makes perfect. Hit the track.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 09:15 PM

The 4 speed transmission and getting a decent 60' time is your biggest problem.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 10:37 PM

I think you are in trouble, to be honest. Those are the 5.4 with the supercharger, correct? If it is the same setup as I am thinking, only a few little mods get a lot of power out of those things.

FWIW, the new 5.0s are making 400+ hp from the factory, idle like a pooch and get 25+ MPG on the highway. I say Ford is doing something right. Fine with me, American all the way!

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/07/11 11:16 PM

Thanks a million guys!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 01:23 AM

Just go hammer him. I bet it won't be as difficult as some assume.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 07:23 AM

Crazy ironic, this post and just two days ago I spotted a stang I didnt know what it was...

It stopped in front of the shop today and made its presence pretty obvious...I know its a saleen and from what it sounded like , possibly a S351 with the whine that was coming from under the hood, sounded like a borla exhaust system.

Talked to a guy tonight who said the owners dad just helped him get the motor back in...I think he knew more about the car then he said but who knows....

I think I can get some action from this guy.....whats that watch what ya wish for thing???????

Attached picture 6622898-DSC05292.JPG

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 02:23 PM

Is this still Moparts the Best Mopar Site on the internet?????

I am use to hearing this kind of talk at the track before they see my Mopar run,but to hear it on a Mopar site.

WAKE UP PEOPLE Quit bad mouthing all that Indy stuff(you can buy it from dealers on here not Indy)and start buying it and put it on your cars. :cool

Its time you all stop down to them x-brand cars.

Its true I may spend a lot of Hard earned $$$$ on my Mopar but them x-brand people have to down to me,not the other way around.

Stand up for your fellow MOPAR Racers,never to them furds & chebbies AGAIN!!!!
Posted By: gch

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 10:14 PM

Get in some track time on yours before you think of racing anybody.Get familiar with your car and how it reacts with some sticky tires.

Too little air may cause the rear end to wiggle on a hard gear change and they can get squirrelly on the top end.

Have yours on a chassis dyno to see what you have and how you can improve it.

It may well turn out to be a drivers race.I would much rather be the one who can drive.Practice.........
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 11:45 PM

A former co-worker has an 09 Shelby GT500 and has talked some smack all along. I'd really enjoy showing him the backside of the X. I really think deep 11s are possible with this car, maybe better, but I haven't been on a dragstrip in years. I'm no Ronnie Sox or Joel Nystrom, but I truly believe I should be able to cover that Shelby. What do I need to do as far as setting up the car and driving technique to get out front and stay there. THANKS GUYS!

"Cudabin" gave you the best advice regarding your car. I'd probably do all he suggested & perhaps looking at ways of loosening up the front-end a bit.
As to the race---downplay you & your car's "skill's", admit nothing & pre-arrange the rules. If you can pull him, do it, but keep just a fender on him all the time until you feel confident & are racing for some big money. Run him heads-up only, despite his possible crying of big motor-vs.- little motor. Don't underestimate his driving--he may be "pear-shaped" but HE isn't running, his car is. 50+ isn't really an oldman for racing, so all that argument is moot. You need to practice ---ALOT! Find someone you respect to follow along, gauge your driving & possibly offer some tips.
Remember, your car is not a rev-monster like a smallblock, blown DOHC motor can be, so don't even try. As others have said, I think this is gonna be a driver's race......good luck!

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/08/11 11:47 PM

Dang I think that Shelby would have it's hands full with your Polara!!!
Posted By: gch

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/09/11 02:27 AM

The Polara has been sleeping since my son was born 19 months ago.It has surprised a few modern cars at the track(and on the street).
The new stuff is getting faster all the time.Kinda hard for an old dog to keep up now a days.

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/09/11 06:06 PM

I drove it again with the drag radials and traction is way better even without doing a burnout. A lot less wheelspin and it stays straighter too. I really am rusty with the 4 speed. One poster suggested I'd be lucky to break into the 12s, and right now I would be. I definitely need to drive the car, get used to it, and practice. That motor pulls so hard and revs so quickly it's not easy to grab another gear before you're all over the rev limiter. Be nice to have a half wore out 383 to practice shifting on!

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/09/11 06:28 PM

This is how a over 50 guy would do it. Put a shift light in it and once you release the clutch on launch preload the shifter like you are trying to make your shift to second. Don't worry as long as you are on the gas you will not pull it out of gear. When the light flashes tap the clutch, not a full blown to the floor petal mash, but enough to take the load off the drive train which will put you near instantly into second. Repeat for third and fourth keeping the throttle floored this whole process. This along with figuring how many rpm you need on the launch to keep the car from bogging will go along way toward making your GTX perform to its best. Practice, practice, practice and don't be afraid to tear it up, it can be fixed.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/09/11 07:24 PM

Quote:

That motor pulls so hard and revs so quickly it's not easy to grab another gear before you're all over the rev limiter.

Are you using a shift light? If not get one, set it 4-500 rpm less than you want to shift, then as you get better set it closer to your shift point.

How much difference (rpm)is there between you're shift point and the limiter? I don't like using a limiter as my shift point.

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 12:55 AM

I put a 6000 chip in the MSD to be on the safe side. Don't take long to get there in 1st either. I appreciate the shifting advice too. You definitely need to be wide awake when you nail this thing!
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 02:04 AM

Quote:

This is how a over 50 guy would do it. Put a shift light in it and once you release the clutch on launch preload the shifter like you are trying to make your shift to second. Don't worry as long as you are on the gas you will not pull it out of gear. When the light flashes tap the clutch, not a full blown to the floor petal mash, but enough to take the load off the drive train which will put you near instantly into second. Repeat for third and fourth keeping the throttle floored this whole process. This along with figuring how many rpm you need on the launch to keep the car from bogging will go along way toward making your GTX perform to its best. Practice, practice, practice and don't be afraid to tear it up, it can be fixed.

great advice

i think the biggest issue your gonna have is getting the car off the line. Hemi's are a little soft on bottom end. with only a 4.10 gear and a 2.65 first its gonna be a battle between bogging the motor or blowing the tires off. i run a 4.56 in my dart, with the stock ratio hemi box and a street clutch it didn't leave real well (compared to the auto). i've actually switched to a 2.93 first and a slipper clutch. haven't ran it at the track yet. the low first feels alot better with the street driving i've done.

too bad you didn't have one of these to swap in, they shift a little easier at 7 grand

Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 03:02 AM

That 6000 rpm chip in the MSD needs to go. I would up it to at least 6500.
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 03:10 AM

I had a guy like this that ran his mouth all the time about his 04 supercharged Cobra. He had lots of modifications (different pulley on the blower, bigger exhaust, reprogrammed ECM, bigger throttle body, drag radials, etc.) and dyno time on it, and I knew my Cuda was at a power disadvantage. But when the time came, I showed him my taillights big time. He didn't know how to drive the car, and he sold it shortly thereafter. The funny thing is, the shop that did all the work to the car told him that if you can't beat that Cuda, you better sell your car. And he did. LOL.
He couldn't even beat a 340 6 barrel Cuda with factory heads, intake, carbs, block, crank...

These new cars just keep getting faster and faster though. Its amazing what you can buy off the dealer lots these days.

Attached picture 6625632-rallys.jpg

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 11:30 AM

I worked on a GT500 that had twin turbos added underneath, right off the headers in addition to the factory huffer. Reportedly dynoed over 1000 hp at the wheels. Figured he was deep in the 9s, but heard the car actually ran 12.40s...
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 12:20 PM

Quote:

These new cars just keep getting faster and faster though. Its amazing what you can buy off the dealer lots these days.

And it's equally amazing how many people can't drive the things. I can't tell you how many races I should have lost but didn't, just because the other driver didn't know what he was doing.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 04:12 PM

IF racing at the track, learn how to stage the car properly and cut a light. Holeshots can do wonders for your self asteem.
Todd
Posted By: Womanator

Re: Grudge race advice - 05/10/11 04:56 PM

I have a couple of fast Mop's
A 9 sec and 10 sec Dart.

Now to my 03 Cobra.
With just changing to 4.10 gears,Short throw shifter and Superchips program it ran a 12.38 in the 1/4 mile with the traction control on.

I've also have seen the Shelby's at the strip struggle with traction and have even helped a couple learn how to drive there cars.

All I'm saying is be careful about the race.
These cars have the T-56 6 speeds and I never missed a shift in my SRT-10 Pick-up.

Good luck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums