Moparts

Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please

Posted By: Gumbydammit

Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 01:29 PM

I'm looking into ordering some pieces for my friend's Hemi project. He has a KB alum standard cam location block on order. Wants to go with a 4.500 stroke and oliver rods. Two opinions are that the rotating assy will fit no problem, and two other well known builders say no way.

Which is it? The previous combo ran a 4.375 stroke with Howards aluminum rods in a KB block with the standard cam height. This block will also be standard cam bore height.

If you have build a few KB hemis with a 4.500 stroke and had the stock cam bore location, please chime in as to what if any issues you had so I can get some parts ordered.

Thanks!
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 01:46 PM

If it's BBC rod size, no problem.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 01:48 PM

Holy shi+. It's Darren. How are things going man. I haven't seen you around in a while.

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 01:53 PM

Yup BBC rod Journal. Thanks Darren.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 01:58 PM

Quote:

Holy shi+. It's Darren. How are things going man. I haven't seen you around in a while. [/quote

Hey man, been working like crazy, and as a result have gone crazy
Posted By: Hemidavey

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 02:01 PM

Chevy journal rods should clear the cam but look at everything including the oil tube if you are using a stock one.
Call KB and ask them, make sure you can ID the block
Don't assume anything=check everything

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 02:17 PM

Ken Black said sure, nor problem. Barton said the rod would hit the cam.

It has an external pickup, so no tube issue. I just wanted to get my stuff straight before I order something I can't return.

Thanks.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 04/30/11 02:36 PM

I have a 4.5" stroke with chevy journal and GRP alum rods. No clearance issues with cam or block. I did have KB do the machining to clear. You can see in the pic where they took off material at the bottom of the cylinders.

Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/01/11 03:07 AM

If you have an std dimension (cam location) KB block and a 4.5 stroke with Mopar rod journals it will clear the cam but it is close, if the cam is not degreed correctly or if it walks forward it will hit the #2 or 7 rod (I think its been a while)
Also you will have to make space at the bottom of the cylinders on both the cam side and the skirt side. other that it drops right in
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/01/11 11:35 AM

should not hit. ive got a 2003 mopar block with a 4.750 callies and oliver 2.2 [chevy rod] 7.100 long with no grinding except at the oil pick up tube !!!
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/01/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Holy shi+. It's Darren. How are things going man. I haven't seen you around in a while. [/quote

Hey man, been working like crazy, and as a result have gone crazy

THE TRUTH IS HE'S INVOLVED WITH FARM ANIMALS !!!!

SHOW HORSES

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/02/11 03:48 AM

Barton said the rod would hit the cam. The question was with the 7.100 rod length, and that seems to be addressed here too. So it looks like we'll be ok, and we will check everything of course.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/02/11 04:16 AM

World Block 4.5 bore
4.5 stroke crank and 7.1 long manley rods cleared everything... I could even run internal oil pickup with that block.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/02/11 01:05 PM

KB / RBRE built motor - Oliver 6.86 chevy rods , 4.6125 Bryant crank . No hit w/ standard can loc'n .
Chryco

Posted By: Mulehead

Re: Need some info from Experienced Hemi builders please - 05/03/11 12:06 AM

Call Ken Black and 4.500 with Chevy Journals will clear and all so 4.500
with Mopar Journals will clear too.Most of the engines going out the door are 4.500 X 4.500 ---572ci

Attached picture 6614370-ENGINEHEMI.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums