Moparts

Shorter rim screws

Posted By: Scamp451

Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 06:09 PM

Because I can never get a pair of Pheonix tires to hold air, I bought tubes. Problem is the Moroso screws which are 1/4" X 3/4" are too long and I dont want to pop my new tubes. I tried grinding the ends off a couple screws but really need the pointy end to penetrate the bead... even tried pilot holes with the long screw but they wont grab the tire and dont want to strip out the screw hole in the rim.

I am sure I am not the first one to deal with this, what did you guys do?
Posted By: Plumcrazyracing

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 06:47 PM

Well, well. So, I am not the only one to have discovered this problem and posted about it. My solution was to use a washer. I had the slicks off and measured the length of the screw on the inside of the rim. Measured the thickness of the bead on my slicks. Found the correct size washer and it has worked well. I tried grinding and filing the screw (didnt work well). bought 5/8 screws but ended up being too short. stripped out my screw holes and had to drill new ones. All trial and error for me. However, bigger slicks have a thicker bead. I found that mickey thompson 29.5 13.5w had a 3/4 inch bead as apposed to the half inch my M&H and Hoosier 29/12/15's had. If the bead is only half inch a typical rim screw will pass through the bead (depending on angle of screw of course).

Use a thin washer with a 3/4 screw! Make sure the washer O.D. is the same as the head of the screw O.D.

Almost forgot, depends on the thickness of your wheel (bead area)too. I have Centerline Warriors. They are a bit thin compared to some others.

When I initially had this problem and inquired about it, everyone at the track responded with the deer in the headlights look!

Steve
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 08:53 PM

2 small washers will make them work, been there done that.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 09:05 PM

I had thin steel rims so I used a little washer.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 09:17 PM

i use self drilling & tapping Tek screws & install them with the cordless drill. they're just over 1/2" long.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/20/11 09:22 PM

This is what I did years ago, I didn't like the screw look in my new wheels so I used long stainless pop rivets, I think 3/16" dia. x 1/2". drilled the rims, put on the tires and drilled the tires. Inserted the rivets. Wore those slicks out and upon removal found that the bead had only moved about 1/4", basicly elongated the holes some. Worked for me.

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/21/11 02:18 AM

I just checked and I ended up using a #10 3/16 washer. Hope that helps.

Steve
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/21/11 02:38 AM

Did you drill square into the wheel... should be on
a angle... never had any problems
Posted By: Scamp451

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/21/11 02:50 AM

Quote:

I just checked and I ended up using a #10 3/16 washer. Hope that helps.

Steve

Yes this does help, thanks Steve. Did you get the washers at a regular home improvment or hardware store? There is always McMaster Carr, Grainger or Fastenal I guess.

These are 28.5 X 10.5, so the bead is probably smaller than what you have. I may have to have some holes touched with a tig and let the screw re-thread it .

Mike- the rims were already drilled, I bought them used. They go in on a pitch, but not quite enough to bury them in the bead completely.

Re: Shorter rim screws - 04/21/11 05:14 AM

I went to orchard supply. dont know if you have an orchard supply there but it is just an oversized hardware home and garden store. Your beads are probably right at a 1/2 inch.

Let us know if it works out for you.

Steve
© 2024 Moparts Forums