Moparts

Head O Rings or Head Gaskets

Posted By: 90ram

Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 02:44 AM

I'm getting closer to Finishing My 572 with B-1MC Heads, I have been told I should O-Ring the Heads. Anybody else running the same combo with just Head Gaskets or Cometics. I heard the Cometics where Good. But a couple Engine Shops I know quit using them lately because of them leaking.. Will I be a fool if I dont O-Ring the Heads?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 04:15 AM

Cometics have worked fine up to 15-1 compression for me. I haven't o-ringed a motor for years. Let's see what others say.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 04:30 AM

I was going to run just Cometics with my B-1m/c at 15:1
but sold my stuff
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 03:34 PM

use the Cometics, either copper coat them or just use a little hi temp RTV around the water ports.
Posted By: orangeduster

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 09:19 PM

o-ring and be done ! my
Posted By: mac56

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/16/11 09:25 PM

I went with the sce titans this time around. Copper with oring built in.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 12:26 AM

I used copper hg, with o ring block and reciever groove in the head. But I did this yrs ago. I am not sure it needed to be done, but the was 300 bucks. 14.85 -1 comp
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 12:51 AM

If you have the tools to do it yourself, go for it! I Did the O-rings in the block and receiver in the head on my two engines. Then I made my own copper gaskets with a water cutter and a CAD.
Those Titans are not CHEAP and after a buying a few you will wish you went with the o-rings. Just figure your costs and see if the o-ringing is worth it or not financially.

Attached picture 6587990-0-ringresize.JPG
Posted By: hvyweight

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 03:31 AM

I can tell you from experience (last month) that if you run o rings in the heads with no receiver groove in the block you may have issues. I could not run receiver grooves in my alum world block because the outer diameter of the sleeve was within .020 of the alum block. I just went to Cometics and should be putting back together shortly. My comp is 14.68. Will be spraying a fairly big shor of nitrous.

Attached picture 6588331-mike2010019.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 03:33 AM

My o-rings only stick out about .006 out of the block, my heads don't have a receiver groove. I've fought leaks for years, I CANNOT get these copper gaskets to seal and cannot get the darn o-rings out of the block! I run less than 12:1 compression and will never run o-rings again, I'll just run regular composition head gaskets which I've NEVER had a problem with.
Posted By: hvyweight

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 03:39 AM

Quote:

My o-rings only stick out about .006 out of the block, my heads don't have a receiver groove. I've fought leaks for years, I CANNOT get these copper gaskets to seal and cannot get the darn o-rings out of the block! I run less than 12:1 compression and will never run o-rings again, I'll just run regular composition head gaskets which I've NEVER had a problem with.

What thickness of head gasket? If I remember right I think a 040 needs .012 protruding?
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/17/11 03:50 AM

I've tried 40's and 32's, the combustion chamber works fine, but the water leaks. I've even scotch brited the copper and used Yamabond4 and one side still leaked. Ended up throwing a felpro 1009 on that side for the last 2 races of the year and it worked great even though the o-ring intersected the head gasket in several spots.
I may loose some compression and try the thicker felpro 1039 with larger bore if it will go around my o-rings and still hold the o-rings in place, don't want them coming loose and going through the motor or valves.
Posted By: 90ram

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/18/11 02:29 AM

Posted By: Leon441

Re: Head O Rings or Head Gaskets - 04/18/11 03:17 AM

Ran O-rings for years. .041" diameter wire. Then cut the tool to only cut .040 wide so the wire will stay in place. Make the groove .029 deep. This leaves you with .012 out of the block. Spray a tack coat of copper coat and then a heavy coat. When you still have blowby. Cut a .041 .010 deep reciever in the head. This will hold the fire where it belongs.

I later went to cometics and had great success that way too. They do seem to be loosing their quality. I need to buy a new set.

If you are leaking you are doing something wrong.

Leon
© 2024 Moparts Forums