Moparts

Indy 470 stroker kit.????????

Posted By: viperblue72

Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 06:44 AM

I can't find the eagle crankshaft part # or any info on this 3.9 stroke eagle crank. Rather its got the smaller 400 counterweights or rather its got the chevy width rod journals. I am planning a 470 engine with 6.535 rods and ross pistons. I may just go with 440source crank as I would rather not do business with indy although that seems like a good price. Any info on this crankshaft?

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 11:21 AM

Before you give up on the Indy kit,why not talk to an Indy dealer first?
Posted By: Hessu

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 12:55 PM

I have Eagle 3,9" low deck bb crank and just my memory(crank is in machine shop now) I remember it is mopar width rods(Eagle have 2,2 rods with mopar widht) and counterweight are 2550g and same size as 440 cranks and hit at low deck and need clearance.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 01:20 PM

Quote:

I can't find the eagle crankshaft part # or any info on this 3.9 stroke eagle crank. Rather its got the smaller 400 counterweights or rather its got the chevy width rod journals. I am planning a 470 engine with 6.535 rods and ross pistons. I may just go with 440source crank as I would rather not do business with indy although that seems like a good price. Any info on this crankshaft?

I would give Bob George at BGR a call...I'm sure he can answer all your questions on the Indy stuff
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would give Bob George at BGR a call...I'm sure he can answer all your questions on the Indy stuff

Eagle 4340 steel with 400 mains (2.625) and 2.375 rod journals and 8 bolt flange.Indy has them in stock.AJ has a LA/Kryptonite crank with 4.150 stroke for a lowdeck 499/500 inch here at the shop he wants to sale.Curt Jr. also has a complete fresh 471" engine for sale or trade.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 10:17 PM

The price of their 470 kit is appealing but not as much so if I have to have the counterweights turned down. Thanks for the info Bob but I'm still just trying to get my build planned out and don't have the $ until my taxes are paid. I am planning a 470 for several reasons. My car will get driven a lot on the street and I think 470 will be more manageable. Plus its an A body with a 4.10 geared 8 3/4. I plan to use standard port heads. Also I personally feel its a lot more fun to spin a motor to 7k then have a motor that runs like a diesel. Also I wouldn't have to worry about clearancing the block and not piston ring supports. If my car were a b/e body I would think differently. My plan is basically a pump gas 470 with fully ported eddies or source heads and a xe292 solid roller. But then the indy ez heads would give me room to grow but are quite large for a 451 if that's the direction I go. I obviously need a plan to start with heh so any input would be great. Also I'm gonna stay with a 3k converter and would like to do at least 10.7s and at least 125mph.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

The price of their 470 kit is appealing but not as much so if I have to have the counterweights turned down. Thanks for the info Bob but I'm still just trying to get my build planned out and don't have the $ until my taxes are paid. I am planning a 470 for several reasons. My car will get driven a lot on the street and I think 470 will be more manageable. Plus its an A body with a 4.10 geared 8 3/4. I plan to use standard port heads. Also I personally feel its a lot more fun to spin a motor to 7k then have a motor that runs like a diesel. Also I wouldn't have to worry about clearancing the block and not piston ring supports. If my car were a b/e body I would think differently. My plan is basically a pump gas 470 with fully ported eddies or source heads and a xe292 solid roller. But then the indy ez heads would give me room to grow but are quite large for a 451 if that's the direction I go. I obviously need a plan to start with heh so any input would be great. Also I'm gonna stay with a 3k converter and would like to do at least 10.7s and at least 125mph.

That`s my combo to the tee(except I use the 6.385 chevy rods)..........I drive all over at 12.11 comp.w/home ported rpm`s on 91(sometimes I mix)and race w/a 50/50 mix of 91 and 110 Torco w/the same rear and gears w/a spool and an 8" 5000 vert. Runs like a champ and loves 7000+ shift points........old skool and VERY dependable even w/the turned down 413 forged crank.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/13/11 11:57 PM

I may use a 66' 440 crankshaft if pricing is reasonable for machining. Is nitriding totally necessary?
Posted By: Genuinejed

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 12:10 AM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 470 rotating assembly for a 400 as well. I saw the indy kit at MATS and was thinking it would be a great kit. Can Bob George or another Indy dealer clear up the confusion about the counterweights? I was assuming it is a drop in kit that would need final balancing. Why would they sell a kit for a 400 that needed the counterweights turned down?

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 12:19 AM

I keep hearing too many diferent specs about this kit that contradict the advertisement. Its also advertised as a 2.2 rod but apparently it isn't? Well I just got off the phone with the machine shop. They said $300 at the most for the offset grind on the rod and taking the mains down to 400. And I would take the counterweights down on a friends lathe. I may go this route instead. Then find some chevy 6.535 hbeam rods and get some ross pistons.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 12:22 AM

Does anyone know for sure how much needs taken off the counterweights? I've heard anywhere from .125-.175???
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 01:30 AM

Keith Black offers a nice forged piston in their ICON line for this application.
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/test/icon/ic...mp;RodLen=6.535

6.535 rod, 9.98 B deck, 1.48 comp ht:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-IC825-033/ $475.95

I would PM AndyF and ask who he used to machine his low deck stroker that he had in several magazines.
It was built around a scrap RB forged crank and once it was offset ground, it was good to go. He is up in your area of the country.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 02:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up on those pistons. I was looking at the kb pistons on hughes website. I am curious if they are a little heavier than ross pistons or they are advertised weight including the pin? I have a few machinists I trust locally. Andyf is about an hour north up the freeway. I recently bought some rockers from him. Still curious about how much needs taken off the counterweights. Maybe andys book lists it but I can't remember.
Posted By: Hessu

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 07:13 AM

Check receipt and I have Eargle crank (xr)44039006385. Cant find any info with that number. But it is 2,2" rods dia with mopar rod widht. I think that eagle have 6,385 rod for 2,2" dia with mopar widht. And counter wight have 2550 balanced and counter weight dia is so big it hit block.

Dont know have indy kit that crank or not.

Maybe Eagle made that crank from 440 4,15 crank that have nicks or so and could,t make 440 crank so turned that down they still have something to sell? Because counter wight are 440 dia and rods have mopar widht? Thats only my wonder?

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 01:48 PM

If you buy a complete rotating assembly with an Eagle crank you will most likely have to clearence the block for the counterweights.We have seen some counterweights that have been cut on the +side of .200 for clearence while others need only to be champhered.We just as soon clearence the block since sometimes cutting the counterweights make balancing the crank expensive.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 03:50 PM

Bob I do plan to run a ross piston that is only 550 grams and I am going to run a rod that is hopefully under 800. I would really like to take down the counterweights since I can do it for free. What would a safe amount be to take off and not worry about overdoing it. If then I. Still need to grind some on the block I will do that.
Posted By: johnzgarage

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 07:37 PM

I took a 1/2 off the counter weights and the balance came out right on the button. That was for a 400 block , 440 crank 3.915 , 6.8 steel chev rod and a ross piston.
Now you know you need a 4chuck lathe to do it ....my cost was about $300. to have it done.......no grinding on the block was done.

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 11:11 PM

Put the crank in with two bearings and see how high the crank sets when resting on the high spots to determined aproximately how much needs to be removed.It's usually 4 or 6 areas near the baulkheads that need ground.The first step I would do is champher the interferred side of the journal if the crank isn't riding to high.Mark the areas that the crank rubs and carefully with a diegrinder dress those areas.Always put something in the cylinder incase you slip with the grinder.If it's way too much to cut then either cut the journal down or clearence the block.$300 to turn the counterweights and maybe get lucky,depending on how much material you remove,or $300/$400 worth of mallory weight to balance I think 3 or 4 hours with a pencil grinder and some care is cheaper. Even if you can cut the journals for free you may not get lucky and spend the money on balancing.Whatever you choose to do,good luck.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 11:20 PM

How light is your bobweight?

I had a 5140 material MP 3.75 stroker crank, it was basically a resto HEMI crank with the mains cut to fit a low deck , the counterweights were HEMI HUGE , crank wouldn't sit in the main saddles. I had it cut down to 7.200 and it only required 2 holes, one at each end of the crank, to balance. My bob weight was around/under 2400 if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/14/11 11:28 PM

Quote:

How light is your bobweight?

I had a 5140 material MP 3.75 stroker crank, it was basically a resto HEMI crank with the mains cut to fit a low deck , the counterweights were HEMI HUGE , crank wouldn't sit in the main saddles. I had it cut down to 7.200 and it only required 2 holes, one at each end of the crank, to balance. My bob weight was around/under 2400 if I remember correctly.

i seem to remember doing that crank back in 2003...
Posted By: Overdrive440

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/16/11 01:04 AM

I'm looking for info for building a 470 as well. If you do go with machining a used 440 crank, what would you use for rods? Are there Chevy length rods with Chevy journals and pins that have Chrysler journal widths?
Posted By: mac56

Re: Indy 470 stroker kit.???????? - 04/16/11 01:26 AM

Quote:

I'm looking for info for building a 470 as well. If you do go with machining a used 440 crank, what would you use for rods? Are there Chevy length rods with Chevy journals and pins that have Chrysler journal widths?

I am running a stock crank offset ground and mains turned down. I would not do it that way again. I would buy a new crank. I ended up with as much money in the stock crank. My last 2 cranks have used chev rod on mopar width rod journal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums