Moparts

Hemi Colt Race cars

Posted By: dannysbee

Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/15/08 09:33 PM

What year were the Hemi Colt race cars? Anyone building a replica?
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/15/08 10:37 PM

As I recall they were used from about '73-76 until the Arrows & smaller Challenger became popular. A friend here has one he built awhile back with a big wedge in it running mid 8s when he goes allout. I'd love to have one but the wheelbase on them needs to be lengthened & from what I'm told they're kind of a handful to drive. Historically they weren't all that successful either as ProStockers or as Comp Elim. cars which they usually ran in once NHRA started screwing with the P/S guys who ran them.......

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/15/08 10:57 PM

I think one with a late model Hemi would be neat.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/15/08 11:05 PM

A 3rd Gen Hemi would be neat --- not unlike a wedge powered car. I see you're in Texas --- you might want to contact Don Hardy Racecars there as he built quite a few back in the day......
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/15/08 11:31 PM

I passed on a nice one years ago. I still regret it.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 02:27 AM

Most were '71 to '73 versions, but there were a number of '74. I have a '74 502 Wedge Colt that I run now.
Posted By: 1OFNONE

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 09:34 PM

The foremost authority on Hemi Colts is Reed Keoppe. He has like four of them.
Racecarregistry.com
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 09:53 PM

I know a guy who knows a little bit about these cars.

his name is stewart, and he has owned them and raced them.

Maybe he will chime in?
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 09:59 PM

Thanks for the compliment but there's guy's out there that know way more about them then me (I'm just a litte pea in the pod of race car afficianado's). I've got two Hemi Colts that we're starting to restore now. One is a Pro Stocker and the other is a pro built A/Gas Colt. I've sold quite a few of my cars and have been focusing on finishing a couple of the "mini"-ProStockers. Always looking for Colt parts - Also, have a Road Race Colt, too.
Thank you, Reed in Neb. / 308-380-8630

Attached picture 4690220-Scan0001.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/16/08 10:05 PM

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 10:07 PM

Kinda ironic Fred, tall guy stuffing himself in these "mini"-PS cars ! - LOL --- Reed in Neb.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 10:28 PM

Reed is Da' MAN. Has helped me a TON over the past 2yrs.
Posted By: HemiGreg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 10:35 PM

Reedmeister is an asset to their history.
size doesent matter if you can make HP.
IM 6-2.5 325 LBS. and fit god in my 81 TC3.
IT WAS ORIG going to be a 500" hemi

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/16/08 10:45 PM

Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/16/08 11:11 PM

he has been known to dress like the good humor ice cream man.

so maybe if you call the ice cream man, he will show up and you can get a milkshake and all the info you could ever want.
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/17/08 02:15 AM

Quite a few picts here...

Match Race Madness

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/17/08 02:19 AM

...and a must read article...

Hemi Colts...Born To Be Bad
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/17/08 02:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment but there's guy's out there that know way more about them then me (I'm just a litte pea in the pod of race car afficianado's). I've got two Hemi Colts that we're starting to restore now. One is a Pro Stocker and the other is a pro built A/Gas Colt. I've sold quite a few of my cars and have been focusing on finishing a couple of the "mini"-ProStockers. Always looking for Colt parts - Also, have a Road Race Colt, too.
Thank you, Reed in Neb. / 308-380-8630

That colt in that picture you posted REED used to race at ThunderValley in Marion in late 80's early 90's and I think the guy that owned it his name was Dennis Johnson ???

Anyway, the last time I SEEN it ..He lost it on the top end a did circles on track and in the dirt ..guessing 92 -ish ?

Here is a picture of a Colt wagon, don't know anything about this one .other than its coooool

Attached picture 4690978-stevewoodscricket_jpg.jpg
Posted By: Sherminator

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/17/08 02:52 AM

met a guy couple years ago a columbus classic with a colt had a wedge in it. i think he was from michagan.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 09/17/08 02:53 AM

Yup, that's the Colt. Built new by Arrow Dynamics for Larry Maas outa Bancroft, Neb. Sold to Johnson - then Eddie Smith (WV) - Then Freeman&Brotherton(Okla) - then I bought it and brought it back to Neb. Marlin Bogner is doing the Hemi for it and we hope to have the Colt ready to show&go in the spring. The paint is still the original owner's paint job, how kool is that ??
Also, that is Steve Woods CRICKET wagon that he ran in the Altered & Gasser classes. Later he chopped the top on it, real unique piece ! I always liked it.
Thanks for the info,
Reed in neb.
Posted By: DCI

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/14/08 07:02 PM

Would there havbe been a 1979 Hemi colt made??? or were they all done in 76?
Posted By: turbocolt2.4L

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/14/08 11:20 PM

half a hemi but more than plenty 2.4L turbo 9.78 @ 130

Attached picture 4813274-coltLVD.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/14/08 11:26 PM

Quote:

The foremost authority on Hemi Colts is Reed Keoppe. He has like four of them.
Racecarregistry.com

I know REED, He is a VERY good guy to talk too. He is a foremost expert on pretty much any old school mopar race car. I wish I lived closer to Kearney, Id be in his shop BSn with him as much as I could. Top Notch Guy!!

I think he has one of Soxs Colts if I recall correctly.

Kasey
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/14/08 11:43 PM

Quote:

Wasn't the Colt replaced by the little Mitsu Challenger Tom?

'79 was the hey-day of the 340 motor too.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 12:49 AM

I was just curious if any 79 models would have been made...I am pretty sure the Mitsu challenger was the better set-up.

The oldest one I could find was a 1976 model.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't the Colt replaced by the little Mitsu Challenger Tom?

'79 was the hey-day of the 340 motor too.

The Mitsu-Challenger ran in A/FX.
A little history after Ronnie drove it;
It raced in Super Pro at Gainesville in the '80s, first with a Hemi/727, then sold a ran with a BB Chevy. Moparts member eh100 borrowed it to get his competition license. It sat for a long time, then was sold to a street racer and totaled out about 8 years ago.

About the same time period the former S&M A/FX Challenger ran at Gainesville, one of their former SS/B '68 Barracudas ran there also. It's also same S&M car that Moparts member Stewart P once ran in SS/AA. It also changed hands several times and was possibly totaled in a PARKING LOT wreck!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 01:41 AM

Nice Hat Ronnie

Attached picture 4813597-SOXHATSMALL.JPG
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 03:24 AM

The Barracuda was S&M's A/MP car.Went to Stewart,then Glenn warfel,the Tom Shively. Tom Shively raced it originally with a 440,switched to a Hemi then sold it to the Welch Bros.
Posted By: mikeg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 01:55 PM

He had the hat at '76 Indy Nats also

Attached picture 4814496-File0045-2.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/15/08 10:41 PM

Quote:

He had the hat at '76 Indy Nats also

Lots of guys used to wear those. Grumpy still does.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/16/08 12:21 AM

I like the blue tin work. Thats an ear mark for a certain tin man. I cant remember his name .
I think Reed Keoppe now has 3 hemi Colts. 1 Arrow and one Omni.
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/16/08 12:51 AM

Al Bergler the tin man

Attached picture 4815808-GoodSeymourColt1.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/16/08 04:38 AM

Mopar Muscle Magazine Colt article & photos:

Dodge Hemi Colt - Wild Horses

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/16/08 04:53 AM

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/16/08 04:28 PM

Fred - you have got a ton of cool pictures.

I really liked this stretched look. Looks safer.

HemiFred stretched colt.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/17/08 04:27 PM

Sherminator, I took my wedge powered Colt to Columbus in '99. It was multi colored, but mostly yellow.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/17/08 11:45 PM

the car i seen was in 2006 i think it was brown and white
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 01:23 AM

This one was owned by Gary Swank of Mansfield Ohio, back in the mid 80's. He had a Max-Wedge/727 in it, if I remember right it went 9.60s. This pic was probably taken somewhere in Ohio, but it doesn't look like Norwalk, Trails or MCIR.(?)

The car was a Don Hardy car, supposed to have been a Rod Shop car, and was set up for a Hemi/Lenco when Swank got it.
It would be interesting to know where it ended up. It was a handful on the big end even when running in the nines...the P/S guys that drove these Colts had to have been nuts!
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 01:35 AM

Yep, That's the Denney/Rod Sop/Panos car. Looks like Dragway 42?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 01:38 AM

Could've been 42....in the right lane that had the big bump on the big end...
Posted By: turner

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 01:56 AM

Quote:

Al Bergler the tin man

Boy you got that right, there is an Arrow at Ubly dragway here in Michigan that has their tin work done by Bergler and I have never seen another with such quality its like a piece of art, you can tell its a Bergler car by the Bergler medallion sunk into the dash.
Posted By: KD800X

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 03:34 AM

Quote:

This one was owned by Gary Swank of Mansfield Ohio, back in the mid 80's. He had a Max-Wedge/727 in it, if I remember right it went 9.60s. This pic was probably taken somewhere in Ohio, but it doesn't look like Norwalk, Trails or MCIR.(?)

The car was a Don Hardy car, supposed to have been a Rod Shop car, and was set up for a Hemi/Lenco when Swank got it.
It would be interesting to know where it ended up. It was a handful on the big end even when running in the nines...the P/S guys that drove these Colts had to have been nuts!

Yes, the car is an original Rod Shop Car. I think it was Riffles Car (I will verify). Rod Gartin from Columbus Bought the car from the Rod Shop and raced it a few years. (I think he won the Holloween Classic with it). Then he sold it to the guy in Mansfield. Rod and I were talking about the car a few weeks ago, he said that the car ended up in California.

I have a picture of the car but I don't know how to scale the file down small enough to post it on here.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 04:29 AM

That is the Riffle car. It was sold to Mark Panos in Utah, he sold it back to the Rod Shop, who sold it to Carl Kirk,then was owned by Paul Marcum, Rod Gratin and Gary Swank.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 05:22 AM

umm

Attached picture 4820902-Untitled-1copy.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 05:32 AM

That is the Napp/Butler car drivin by Gene Dunlap. Was built as small block car, later it got a Hemi.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 01:45 PM

8.48 @ 164!!!!!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/18/08 05:01 PM

The black Colt is my Colt in Arizona.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/19/08 05:36 AM

This pic was probably taken somewhere in Ohio, but it doesn't look like Norwalk, Trails or MCIR.(?)

I talked to Rod Gartin tonight, he said that picture was taken at either Tri State or Edgewater.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/19/08 05:38 AM

Quote:

That is the Riffle car. It was sold to Mark Panos in Utah, he sold it back to the Rod Shop, who sold it to Carl Kirk,then was owned by Paul Marcum, Rod Gratin and Gary Swank.

Are you the one that has the car now? I heard it went to California.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/19/08 09:47 PM

Please keep the pictures and stories coming.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 01:05 AM

This should keep you busy for a while....

Moparts Hemi Colt Thread 1

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 01:06 AM

OK, one more for prosperity's sake...

Moparts Hemi Colt Thread 2

Posted By: mprrlz

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 03:16 AM

I am pretty sure that the picture of Swank is at MCIR.

Could be wrong, but looking at the back guardrail looks like MCIR.

Cory
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 03:31 AM

I would almost bet your right. I think it may be MCIR as well. The duster in the other lane is owned by a couple of brothers (the Beatty's) from the Cardington area. I think it is still sitting in one of their garages. Sherminator would probably know.
Now, does anyone have pics of Kenny Pervis's colt that run at MCIR back in the 80's? It had BB chebby for power, but was a neat car also. Beep
Posted By: mprrlz

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 03:52 AM

Beep, I was wondering the same thing, if anyone had pics of Kenny's Colt. Wasn't there a 2nd Colt that he used to race against?

Cory

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/20/08 05:07 AM

beatty bros duster is setting in the driveway rusting down, what a shame

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/23/08 02:25 PM

Does anyone make fiberglass part for the colts?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/23/08 02:54 PM

Yes Rod n Race makes fenders, hood, bumper's and deck lid.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/23/08 03:38 PM

I just bought this little terd, 1974 GT. Some guy had already done a half wy decent backyard roll cage installed (wanted to go cone racing with it) before giving up. It has a little 2000 "Hemi" engine. It's no cherry but other than a small amount of outer sheet metal rust it's bone dry everywhere.

Attached picture 4833249-IMG_2317.JPG
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/23/08 09:45 PM

Quote:

half a hemi but more than plenty 2.4L turbo 9.78 @ 130

Wanna give us more info on this car??
Posted By: Darrell

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 12:04 AM

Quote:

I just bought this little terd, 1974 GT. Some guy had already done a half wy decent backyard roll cage installed (wanted to go cone racing with it) before giving up. It has a little 2000 "Hemi" engine. It's no cherry but other than a small amount of outer sheet metal rust it's bone dry everywhere.

Scott, that car appears to have a serious cage in it compaired to the outside of it! Hey, I like it!!
Are those mudgrips on the rear?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 12:38 AM

I don't know what the history is with this car, it does indead have a serious cage in it, looks home built but the welds ain't bad. It has an old fadded SCCA sticker in the quarter window and a fire suite sticker on the back glass (says "I drive wearing fire proof underwear" or similar). The rear end acts like it has a spool in it? It's a light car with no drive train but is a bear to push with the wheels turned, drags a rear wheel. Hard to say what it's been through......One thing, it has a bad rust hole in the drivers door, but BONUS! I went to pick it up today and presto! The guys hands me a cherry drivers door, the rear bumper, a nice extra pass fender, and some other small parts, no charge!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 05:09 PM

I bought Rod and Race 'glass for my Colt and nothing fit. Not even close. You would be better off making a mold yourself than use their product!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 05:43 PM

I have heard that about other RnR products. Bummer.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 07:00 PM

Well based on the wight of the fender I picked up yesterday (can you say "feather"?) I don't think you'lleven need fiberglass except for a hood and front bumper. Glass doors would be nice though......

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 07:04 PM

Brian Smith here local will make a mold and make any part you need. I wish I had known that before I received the junk stuff from Rod and Race.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 07:18 PM

Where is "local"?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/24/08 08:18 PM

Oop's Local is in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/25/08 01:34 AM

try the hotrod super store they have colt parts mite just be for the 71-73 though my bumbers fit and the front lower valance fit perfect.
Posted By: flyingproudracin

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/25/08 07:28 PM

Ron Barnhill used to drive the Colt for Gary Swank. Gary sold it to Dick Towers in California if I am not mistaken. The picture looks like it was taken at Dragway 42.

Tim Newmeyer

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 12:49 AM

anyone know what happened to the Rod Shop Colt wagon? I know its not a hemi but it was still sweeeet.

Casey

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 03:16 AM

Quote:

Ron Barnhill used to drive the Colt for Gary Swank. Gary sold it to Dick Towers in California if I am not mistaken. The picture looks like it was taken at Dragway 42.

Tim Newmeyer

Has anyone seen Ron Barnhill latley? I haven't seen him in quite a few years. The last time I seen him was at Quaker City he was racing a Mustang. What ever happen to his old Arrow?
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 04:30 AM

I will ask Stickel, he owns the shop next door to us. It's definitely an interesting group of coversations some days. Stickel raced through them and dad worked there for a while during the heydey.
Posted By: moprod

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 05:17 AM

A few more old photos

Attached picture 4839631-colt6.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 05:18 AM

And..............

Attached picture 4839634-colt5.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 05:19 AM

Rod Shop colt

Attached picture 4839641-colt2.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 05:23 AM

A pic I took of Stepp's Colt going over at Bristol. Happened so quick all I could do was
shoot as quick as I could.

Attached picture 4839644-colt4.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 05:30 AM

Quote:

anyone know what happened to the Rod Shop Colt wagon? I know its not a hemi but it was still sweeeet.

Casey

Sitting in a garage, Owner wants stupid money for it. Car is currently setup as a bracket car.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Casey

Sitting in a garage, Owner wants stupid money for it. Car is currently setup as a bracket car.

What is stupid money?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 03:57 PM

Last I heard, $100,000 for an unrestored "roller" -- Reed in Neb.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 04:10 PM

YOU IS RIGHT - that is stupid money

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 04:17 PM

Holy Highway Robbery Batman!

I guess it never hurts to ask...
Posted By: flyingproudracin

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 07:51 PM

I am good friends with Ron. See him every weekend at Norwalk during the racing season. He is still racing the Mustang and a friend of his still has the Arrow and races it quite often as well.

Tim Newmeyer
Flying Proud Racing
"Home Of The 2003, 2004, 2008 Dragway 42 and 2006 Norwalk Raceway Park Junior Dragster Track Champion"

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 08:41 PM

Quote:

Last I heard, $100,000 for an unrestored "roller" -- Reed in Neb.

WOW...

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 09:01 PM

Read this first: I would not pay 100K for that car, nor would I promote that someone else does

However! The hottest thing going in todays market are factory type race cars with either famous owners or winning histories, or both, and some of them have sold for the HIGH 6 figures recently. So, who can blame the guy for trying to get "All the money" for his car? We may all look back on it as a bargain someday, you never know!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/26/08 09:23 PM

100%.

There is a BUTT for every seat. . One mans garbage is another mans GOLD.
Posted By: colt340

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/30/08 12:04 AM

Here is a pic of mine.
al

Attached picture 4846458-1974Dod.Ct.-Wt.-F3c.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/30/08 02:04 AM

Give us some details? Motor, trans rear end...what did you have to do to make it all fit?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 11/30/08 10:53 PM

Quote:

Give us some details? Motor, trans rear end...what did you have to do to make it all fit?

DCI

the motor is a 340, trans is a 727 with
manual valve body and a 9" 4500 stall converter. the rearend is a 8 3/4 with 4:89 gears. if you look close the firewall has been moved back about 4" in the middle of the car. Also a large shoe horn was involved.

Attached picture 4848986-transmission-interior.jpg
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/01/08 01:08 AM

From the old Keystone/Bison dragways and now Gimli Dragways photographer, Richard Wood's collection.

Attached picture 4849398-scan0043.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/01/08 12:52 PM

colt340 - How much did you have to shorten the 8 3/4?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/01/08 11:33 PM

Quote:

colt340 - How much did you have to shorten the 8 3/4?

That's a good question. It was already in the car when i got it. I would go measure it but I'm recovering from open heart surgery. Maybe this pic will help.

al

Attached picture 4851440-axl.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/02/08 08:39 PM

Wow that looks narrow.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/03/08 01:08 AM

it all depends on rim offset and what rima and tire comco your going to run i will measure mine this weekend for ya but its a 72 with 26x10 on 10" rim ladderbar coil over but its the same rear i had in it with the leaf springs just bought new inner rim halves when we did the BH.

Attached picture 4853739-coltLVD.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/03/08 02:30 AM

That turbo car is cool! What are the build specs on the entire drive train?
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/03/08 06:48 AM

Quote:

That turbo car is cool! What are the build specs on the entire drive train?

Please post or pm me the info... I would like to build something similar.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/04/08 01:02 AM

72 colt 2.4L out of a 96 dodge stratus that i built to handle 29 psi of boost,904 w/ low gearset alum drum all the goodies A&A LBA brake I also fabed up the adapter to mate it to engine,8.75 spool 4.30's moser axles,70mm turbo w/84 hotside,best time to date 9.78@130+ with high 1.40 sixties still working out the bugs with new suspension.more pics and info on turbododge .com do search for my name.thanx for the interest I always liked the 71-73 colts found this one in a boneyard in georgia rust free cept for the driver floor, thought i do something different............
Posted By: bill_greenwood

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/04/08 06:12 AM

Neat, neat car. Ditto for the small block. Those cars simply have nice lines, and having some serious power just makes them even more cool.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/05/08 12:21 AM

Quote:

Neat, neat car. Ditto for the small block. Those cars simply have nice lines, and having some serious power just makes them even more cool.

its not a smallblock its a 4cyl.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/05/08 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its not a smallblock its a 4cyl.

I'm pretty sure he meant both your car AS WELL as the other car posted above (which has a small block). Quite frankly I don't know which one I'd rather have more, I like them both but for different reasons. BTW, speaking of turbo 4cyl cars, I have a stock 1974 Colt GT roller and a 2000cc 4 cyl (Hemi Mitsibishi) out of a 1978 Colt complete carb to pan with the 4 speed trans. Are these a worthy turbo motor or would I be better off starting with something else such as you did?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/06/08 12:54 AM

yeah i know i thought about that after i posted dont really know much about that engine but the 4g63 out of the eclipse and talons are very strong I would get on a mitsu forum ,I went with the engine i have because it was in my neon first.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 02:18 PM

Billy The Kid Stepp

Attached picture 4862897-Billy_Stepp_1976_NHRA_US_Nationals_.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 02:20 PM

Attached picture 4862903-47.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 02:23 PM

I think it's a colt...

Attached picture 4862905-1982_MP_34.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 02:28 PM

Quote:

I think it's a colt...

Toyota I think ?

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 09:53 PM

yeap its a celica .

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 11:03 PM

Meanwhile back to the Colts

Attached picture 4863959-1_Dyer_1.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/07/08 11:07 PM

One more...

Attached picture 4863967-RSHC9-75copyMA11439012-0001-1.jpg
Posted By: LIL'BROTHER

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/08/08 07:27 PM

hey guys . i'm new on here. david sox. great info and pics of all the colts. the last s&m car i drove was ronnies colt;englishtown in 1975 against the grump!great memories and great times. thanks,david
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/08/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Al Bergler the tin man

Boy you got that right, there is an Arrow at Ubly dragway here in Michigan that has their tin work done by Bergler and I have never seen another with such quality its like a piece of art, you can tell its a Bergler car by the Bergler medallion sunk into the dash.

Talked to Bergler the other day. He has origional Motown Shaker Vega funny car back. cant wait to see it restored and doing the nostalgia deal.

Attached picture 4865741-b025EMotown_Shaker_with_AL_Berglers.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/08/08 08:04 PM

Quote:

hey guys . i'm new on here. david sox. great info and pics of all the colts. the last s&m car i drove was ronnies colt;englishtown in 1975 against the grump!great memories and great times. thanks,david

Welcome to the site David !!!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/08/08 08:11 PM

Welcome David. Here is a Hemi Colt want to be.

Attached picture 4865792-0769.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/15/08 04:04 AM

Stewart P has been looking for a 71-73 Colt as well as Jesse Biggs.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/15/08 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Al Bergler the tin man

Talked to Bergler the other day. He has origional Motown Shaker Vega funny car back. cant wait to see it restored and doing the nostalgia deal.

You sure that isn't a Mustang II ?
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/16/08 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Al Bergler the tin man

You sure that isn't a Mustang II ?

Your right thats the mustang. He got his vega back, i just put up the wrong picture.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/17/08 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome to the site David !!!

David, Glad to see you on here. I hope you will share some great stories and memories.
Posted By: LIL'BROTHER

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/17/08 04:36 PM

THANKS FRITO! I'LL TRY TO THROW SOME STORIES IN AS THEY FIT THE SUBJECT MATTER.SO MANY GREAT STORIES WITH BIG BROTHER THAT I WOULDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START! BUT I'LL COME UP WITH SOME. DAVID.
Posted By: mgpanos

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/31/08 08:21 PM

Hmm, I don't recall it being a handfull. I went 8.70 @ 159 in this car with a 406 Hemi and Lenco at NHRA weight. The only startling thing I remember about the top end on runs such as that is that as the rear slicks grew in circumference, the top of the windshield opening would go below the track level right as you appraoched the finish line, so you lost sight of the end of the track until the parachute hit and the speed came down. Was it a rush, the ultimate E ticket ride at the time? Yep!

Mark Panos

Attached picture 4913178-ColtEngine.JPG

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 12/31/08 08:44 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I don't recall it being a handfull. I went 8.70 @ 159 in this car with a 406 Hemi and Lenco at NHRA weight. The only startling thing I remember about the top end on runs such as that is that as the rear slicks grew in circumference, the top of the windshield opening would go below the track level right as you appraoched the finish line, so you lost sight of the end of the track until the parachute hit and the speed came down. Was it a rush, the ultimate E ticket ride at the time? Yep!

Mark Panos

Best Colt story yet! I definitely need one of these, lol!

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 12:55 AM

Hi David,

Welcome to this fun group. I had forgotten about your PS racing experience until I read info in this and the Joe Pappas threads! I have some really fond memories of Ronnie. Your brother Ronnie and his original racing partner Buddy Martin were very nice and gracious fellows. In 1980 I got a wild hair to move to North Carolina and bring my Hemi Colt to do some Pro Stock and B/FX racing. Being a young guy (23 years old) from Utah, I didn’t realize how much racing there really was in the South. NC had *one* NHRA sanctioned drag strip, yet after I arrived there I found that every little town seemed to have an 1/8th mile drag strip close by, just as I had hoped.
As part of my trip to NC, I stopped at the Rod Shop in Ohio to resolve some dry sump oil pan issues as I prepared to attend the IHRA Winternationals, and I enjoyed a couple of days there just getting to know Jim Thompson and Bruce Meihls. Then I proceeded to Lenoir, NC to drop off some of my belongings at Clyde Hodges shop before heading down to SC.
I’ll never forget the excitement of the day as I entered the pits at Darlington with my recently purchased (used) D600 transporter truck and my Hemi Colt inside. I knew that I really didn’t have the motor I needed to race in IHRA PS as I still had my 406 Hemi in it, but hoped to get some quick experience and maybe do some local match racing.
My first task was to find a parking spot in the pits, and I finally found a spot next to Carlton Phillips and Ricky Smith (who I met the night before at Clyde’s shop). I was quite surprised to see another Hemi Colt in the pits across the paved lane, one painted brown with El Toro painted on the side.
As I unloaded the car, I realized that I really needed some help, as it was going to be kind of rough dong this as a one man band. A couple of local teens were hanging around, so I enlisted their help with some of the more mundane things such as making sure the tires were in the water for burnouts, etc. I made my way over to tech inspection, and the car passed without any problems. Since PS qualifying would not be for a few hours, I decided to wander around and see who was in attendance. One of my first stops was at the S&M pit, and I boldly walked up to Buddy and introduced myself. He treated me like a long-time friend, and called Ronnie over a few minutes later to introduce us. As with Buddy, Ronnie treated me like a long lost buddy, even though I had one of those “Western” accents. They both were surprised that I had traveled to NC alone, and didn’t really have anyone for support. They both expressed that if I needed anything I should let them know as they were more than willing to lend any assistance needed. At the time it seemed weird that they were so willing to “take me under their wing” but I later realized that I probably had the deer in the headlights look being at my first national event, alone, and also having just moved to a new place to live and race. Good Lord, what was I thinking?<laughing at myself>
When PS qualifying was called, I went out and made a pretty good run, considering I really didn’t have enough cubic inches to do the job. However, my 8.70 at 159 paled when you saw that most of them were running in the low 8’s. I returned to the pits and removed about 200 lbs of ballast carried for NHRA racing, and returned for a second qualifying pass later that day. The car felt better, and some jetting changes had cleaned up the mixture. However, as I got to the top of third gear and pulled the Lenco shift lever, it didn’t shift and I had to shut it down as the tach was climbing well past the 9200 rpm shift point.
Ronnie came over and asked what kind of problem I was having, and offered to help check to see what was wrong with the trans. We played around with it for a few minutes and decided nothing was broken as far as gears or such, but he thought that I may have broken one of the shift forks or the roller plate they work with. He offered to get his crew to help tear it apart if I wanted to take it out, but I could already see that I wasn’t’ going to qualify as the bump spot was down in the 8.40’s already after only two sessions. Ronnie tried to talk me into staying, but I decided to head back to Clyde’s shop to tear the trans apart (never even had one apart before this!) and see if I could fix it. So ended my Winternationals experience.

BTW, if you go to the www.hemicolt.com web site, there is a picture of me at Darlington.

Quote:

THANKS FRITO! I'LL TRY TO THROW SOME STORIES IN AS THEY FIT THE SUBJECT MATTER.SO MANY GREAT STORIES WITH BIG BROTHER THAT I WOULDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START! BUT I'LL COME UP WITH SOME. DAVID.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 12:39 PM

Mark,
Couple more of your car from the web....

Attached picture 4914539-Mark2.jpeg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 12:39 PM

again...

Attached picture 4914540-Mark3.jpeg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 12:53 PM

Couple of Colts for sale on RacingJunk.com

Colts for Sale

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

Mark,
Couple more of your car from the web....

Wow, Dont see many vintage Bonneville raceway photos. I ran my '69 Roadrunner there. The first time I ever went was the last NHRA Points meet in 1984.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 06:14 PM

<smiling> How did you recognize it as the old Bonneville Raceway? I didn't see any signs in the two photos Bill posted, but you sure picked up on the location! 1984, eh? I think I had sold my Challenger and was building a Daytona in that time frame.

Here is another Colt photo you will recognize as from Bonneville Raceway.

Wow, Dont see many vintage Bonneville raceway photos. I ran my '69 Roadrunner there. The first time I ever went was the last NHRA Points meet in 1984.

Attached picture 4915283-Panos07.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 06:19 PM

Here is a photo I took of a Hemi Colt at the IHRA Winternationals in 1980, and it was running in Street Rod. Not sure of the background on this car. Anyone have any info?

Attached picture 4915297-DavisBros3.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/01/09 11:25 PM

I just recognized the over the track walkway and other small things.
Are you the one that sold Brian Barker his Hemi Challenger ex-pro stocker?
If you have some other photos from there back in the day I would kill to see them.

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/04/09 12:19 AM

Here you go on a couple of photos of that Challenger. The original owner bought it as a body-in-white and put it together as a PS car in 1971. The car wasn't too successful and had alot of breakage problems with transmissions. I found the car for sale in 1978 and told a friend about it and he purchased it. The car had a 426 +30 Hemi in it with steel rods and 12.5 trw pistons, a racer brown roller cam, and a Milodon oil pan and system. It had a Weiand tunnel ram (aluminum) and a pair of 6214 dominator carbs.

The trans was a slick shifted red stripe with 2.66 first gear, and the dana rearend had a posi and 5.13 gears. The body was all steel other than a glass hood and *maybe* a glass decklid.

When my buddy took the car out for the first time after some serious clean up and tweaking, the car acted very strange on the launch, almost like it wasn't really shifting from first to second, even though the Vertical Gate shifter had moved. This weird behavior had us baffled for a week or so as we pondered the shifter for issues, and we finally decided to pull the trans. Once we had it on the bench it was easy to see what the problem was. The previous owner, for whatever reason, had decided to mount the shifter higher than the Mr Gasket mounting bracket called for. However, it was so high that they just turned the shift arms 180 degrees to get a better alignment of the shift rods. This also put the trans in second gear when the shifter was in the first gear position! It was going 2 to 1 to 4 to 3 as you banged through the gears!

The pictures I attached were probably taken in 1978, and the car had a few mods done by then. The slotted mags had been replaced with Super Tricks, the early pro stock hood scoop replaced by a snorkel, and the air horns milled off the carbs.

As I recall, this car was running in the low ten's at this time at 4500 feet altitude.

You know how hindsight is 20/20? This would be a nice period-correct PS car for 1971. I should have kept it when my friend consigned it to me to sell in about 1985. Oh Well, eh?

Mark

Attached picture 4920914-KevinChallenger1.jpg

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/17/09 04:21 AM

Colt on craigslist...make one!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/969406191.html
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/17/09 06:31 PM

Always wanted a colt ever since I was a kid and I first saw them at E-town back inthe mid 70's.

as a kid I could fit inone really nice, As a 'full grown' (6'-2" and about 245) man, I've never found one i get in....or out of without using the "jaws of life!"
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: Hemi Colt Race cars - 01/17/09 06:42 PM

I can relate...

I drove a Datsun PL521 pickup in high school.

Had one in the shop a few years back - almost couldn't fit behind the wheel, let alone drive it.

-bill
© 2024 Moparts Forums