Moparts

Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System

Posted By: Anonymous

Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/09/11 08:56 PM

Was wondering if anyone one of you super fast guys are running a Davis Technologies Traction Control System
Is anyone considering getting one of these awesome systems?
I think its a great way to eliminate traction problems with these small tire cars.
I'm getting ready to buy the expensive one. Any takers?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/09/11 11:58 PM

Make sure your class allows it before spending too much!~
Posted By: go green

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 01:15 AM

I just ordered THE GRID 7730 with the 7761 traction control. It can use the " DOTS " and slew rate with RPM or use a drive shaft sensor .It will fire my MSD 10 box . They have plans of making it capable of running a coil on plug later on.

$650

Yellow bullet has a really good thread on it

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298864&highlight=msd+the+grid
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 01:42 AM

What do you concider "super fast?What does your car 60 ft now?Do you have traction issues now?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 01:58 AM

Is it legal
Posted By: Eric

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 02:23 AM

Quote:

Is it legal

Even as a T/S and Box racer...I think traction control doesn't have a place in bracket racing...just my
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 02:59 AM

It does make it easier to get down bad tracks (or if you make a bad tune-up call) and with time and practice it will make a abort run a decent pass. I like to get my car down the track with the least amount of gizzmo's so I do not use one. Pretty soon we will be racing remote control cars if we keep letting all of the electronics in.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is it legal

Even as a T/S and Box racer...I think traction control doesn't have a place in bracket racing...just my

I don't want to use it for BRACKET racing. Only for headsup racing.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it legal

I understand that...but there are guys using it in bracket racing....ILLEGALLY...

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it legal

I understand that...but there are guys using it in bracket racing....ILLEGALLY...

I think they and all the traction control devices
should be ILLEGAL in any racing.... like someone
said... lets race remote control cars.... if you
make a bad call on the tune up... toooo bad
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 05:02 AM

Unless you set it up to leave soft and act the same on every pass traction control is worthless for bracket racing because it does not repeat. If it reacts to wheel speed it will save a run, but won't be consistent.

Setting a car up to leave soft is legal.
Posted By: go green

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 06:54 AM

Anyone who thinks that traction control on fast cars should be illegal is a ill informed

You guys do realize that the fastest runs will be made NOT hitting the traction limiter ????????

TC is just as safety net for cars that can overpower the track .

If I break traction at the 330' and crash my car then $650 sounds pretty cheap .
Posted By: don miller

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 07:20 AM

to add to Dean's (go green) last post, I have personally seen his car at Mission with the front wheels at about the same height as his sig picture.......at the 1,000 ft mark. Anything that would help eliminate this can't be all that bad; and that's coming from a guy that HATES box racing.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 09:03 AM

Quote:

to add to Dean's (go green) last post, I have personally seen his car at Mission with the front wheels at about the same height as his sig picture.......at the 1,000 ft mark. Anything that would help eliminate this can't be all that bad; and that's coming from a guy that HATES box racing.

and how about that wheelie-meter now avaiable. you can set the exact angle at which the car goes no higher

http://www.dragtraction.com/PDFs/ManualGENII.pdf
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 09:44 AM

I do not own one but of all the threads Ive read on the bullet MOST say the more the traction control is "helping/coming on" it is actually slowing the car down! This does make sense to me! I'd say its more of a safety device
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 12:46 PM

I would say, pick up your right foot. If you need a device to tell you, you are in trouble, let someone else drive.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 12:49 PM

Quote:

I would say, pick up your right foot. If you need a device to tell you, you are in trouble, let someone else drive.

Wrong answer, With these fast cars on small tires, usually when you feel tires letting loose, its usually it's too late.
Traction control just pulls timing out when it senses driveshaft speed picking up and corrects it so accidents don't happen.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 12:57 PM

Well, I could say the same thing to you. If the thing slows the car down becasue it lost traction, why keep your foot in it. If you are hell bent on staying in it, you have probably lost anyway. Why take a chance and tear the car up or yourself.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 02:52 PM

Quote:

Anyone who thinks that traction control on fast cars should be illegal is a ill informed

You guys do realize that the fastest runs will be made NOT hitting the traction limiter ????????

If I break traction at the 330' and crash my car then $650 sounds pretty cheap .

I just think it's funny that the same guys who bash on T/S racing...and this is not directed toward you..now are using traction control in Heads Up...kinda ironic if you ask me.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:16 PM

Does top fuel or funnycar run a traction control
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:30 PM

Quote:

It's not legal, but you know how that goes.....

and that's a good point......Keeping it out IMHO keeps it interesting and seperates the Men from the Boys....... BUT, it's getting harder and harder to police.......
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 03:46 PM

Quote:

Yes... they slip the clutch
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 04:00 PM

Anything thats helps provide safety is a plus
Losing traction in a fast car once ur going, can make
you soil ur pants, even worst, put it into the wall

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 08:42 PM

Quote:

Look at the results from most any ADRL race whereever they are and you'll see at least one bad crash.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/10/11 11:13 PM

Quote:

like when I did this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZxMMsUH18

Attached picture 6578595-FREDSKID.jpg

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Look at the results from most any ADRL race whereever they are and you'll see at least one bad crash.

most of those cars use tobys box

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

If you are interested in a traction control buy the davis box. it uses timing retard and amounts to control the power. The msd dots use rpm limits and those dots wreak havok on head gaskets (hopefully they don't disapper like they used to in the old box either). The down side is the davis box that really works well is $2500.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you are interested in a traction control buy the davis box. it uses timing retard and amounts to control the power. The msd dots use rpm limits and those dots wreak havok on head gaskets (hopefully they don't disapper like they used to in the old box either). The down side is the davis box that really works well is $2500.

I think the box I was looking at was tipping the scales at around $4000.00

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you feel you need it then buy it . Its only money and we can make more.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep i'm feeling it alright. right in the old you know what

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep i'm feeling it alright. right in the old you know what

LOL. I have a motec in my race car. If i decide i want to use the traction control part i can apply any parameter to any parameter to accomplish my needs. maybe i'll swap a drive by wire TB in it.
Posted By: DaveDudek

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/11/11 08:56 PM

I had the Davis system on my Road Runner for 3 years, loved it so much I never even made a pass without it. The first time I did make a pass without it I broke the FAST record which was in place for several years. (10.53 at the time) After that I ran into a few guy's who experienced the same thing, I pulled the davis from my car and never looked back. There has been a guy or two on this site who didn't take my advice via PM, by the end of the season they both PM'ed me and said they wasted a whole season and should have taken my advice. Hope this helps..
Posted By: BobR

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/12/11 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just love reading some of these posts. Unless you've driven a small tire car with upwards of 3000 horsepower you should stay out of this one. We had the best Davis unit on our Procharger car for several races. It cost us two for sure and a whole lot of aborted passes. Unless they've gotten a whole lot better over the last 2 years I wouldn't put one on my lawnmower. The MSD "Dots" worked MUCH better for us. We did get 3000 bucks for our 3 month old 5000 dollar unit.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/12/11 02:41 PM

Quote:

I had the Davis system on my Road Runner for 3 years, loved it so much I never even made a pass without it. The first time I did make a pass without it I broke the FAST record which was in place for several years. (10.53 at the time) After that I ran into a few guy's who experienced the same thing, I pulled the davis from my car and never looked back. There has been a guy or two on this site who didn't take my advice via PM, by the end of the season they both PM'ed me and said they wasted a whole season and should have taken my advice. Hope this helps..

We didn't lose a whole season but I was one of those PM'rs. It just plain didn't work for us and we had Roger from Racepak among several other real smart guys trying real hard to make it work.

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/13/11 12:30 AM

Can someone lead me in the right direction with the msd dots unit?
I would like to stay with msd if I can since I'm familiar with their products.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/13/11 01:53 AM

The DOTS is just a rev limit you plot out on a graph. Pretty simple, the 7531 for example, you make a run on a good track with no issues. You copy that run and put the trace on the rev limit graph. Then you place dots where you want the RPM to be limited. The program makes a line that follows these dots. You can make the hole entire run on the DOTS if you want. But, when you hit the DOTS the engine falls down and has to come back to life. It worked great for me on nitrous but sometimes really gets me in trouble with the high stall and hard to control wheels speed my car now requires. There is a sample of this on MSD's website.

Leon

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/13/11 02:22 AM

Quote:

The DOTS is just a rev limit you plot out on a graph. Pretty simple, the 7531 for example, you make a run on a good track with no issues. You copy that run and put the trace on the rev limit graph. Then you place dots where you want the RPM to be limited. The program makes a line that follows these dots. You can make the hole entire run on the DOTS if you want. But, when you hit the DOTS the engine falls down and has to come back to life. It worked great for me on nitrous but sometimes really gets me in trouble with the high stall and hard to control wheels speed my car now requires. There is a sample of this on MSD's website.

Leon

Do you have a MSD part #
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/13/11 03:14 AM

Part # MSD 7531

http://www.msdignition.com/7531_Programmable_Digital-7_Plus.aspx
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/13/11 11:42 PM

MSD 7531 as said is not traction control.

You would want to use the 7720 ignition although you can run other MSD units.

Then the 7730 System controller.

Then to get their form of traction control you would want the SLEW RATE and TIME BASED REV LIMITER MODULE 7761 which not only does rev limiting based on engine speed vs time but drive shaft speed vs time(TRACTION CONTROL). I would recommend to leave the slew rate off.

Leon
Posted By: pete walton

Re: Anyone running a Davis Traction Control System - 04/14/11 09:41 PM

This whole TC thing is a big deal in Europe at the moment..Allegations abound ,that a TMD team on the FIA tour have been using TC. Slow mo Videos of engines dropping cylinders ,,then firing again of the start line , ,Incredible 330 ft times for a Whipple blown car ,,Trouble is its bloody hard to detect,, so no one wants to protest it....Personally i think getting your car set up right is part of the sport,, but from a safety point,, i think there is an argument for making it legal in some classes ,, Hey but what do i know ......
© 2024 Moparts Forums