Moparts

Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block?

Posted By: LXguy

Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 06:07 PM

Hey:

Don't mean to start a war, but I'm at the point where I need to decide between a big block and a small block stroker for my Challenger. Of course, the car already has a small block in it, so that gives the stroker idea a bit of a break.

On the other hand, I have access to some complete late 60s 440s (that I would rebuild), so that might help. Unfortunately don't think I would be able to stroke the big block.

My goals are apparently ambitious. I want to run mid 10.50s with the car, non gutted with cal-tracs. I also want to run a streetable gear (3.55), and would like it to be fun on the street (aka torque). A buddy of mine is running mid 10s with his (ahem) Ford 408 stroker street car and a 3.55, so I cant imagine it would be too big a problem hp wise - except that the heads for small block Fords are pretty awesome by comparison to what's readily available for Mopar.

I am not real aware of what kind of real world horsepower and torque the LA strokers make. My big concern is the reasonably priced cylinder heads (LA-X, or maybe Eddies) limiting the total horsepower capability.

To be fair, I know next to nothing about Big Block heads either, so maybe they're flow limited also, and again, I'd have to buy big block swap parts and a 727 to replace my 904-unless someone knows of a good adapter setup.

Also curious about how much weight difference there would be between a small block and big block.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Posted By: haddixj

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 06:24 PM

I have been considering the GEN III hemi for mine with the overdrive trans for power and MPG. They can make some good power for cheepish? How much you want to spend will dictate what you can accomplish.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 06:56 PM

NO replacement for displacement.............PERIOD
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 07:14 PM

Quote:

vice words..unless blown,where more displacement makes even more
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 07:25 PM

IMO, do a stock stroke turbo small block (for now). Set the turbo up so when you decide to finally stroke the small block, the turbo can support it.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 08:44 PM

Quote:

The only replacement for cubic inches is cubic dollars

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 09:23 PM

I understand that a bigger motor can theoretically make more power, but that isn't actually the question I asked.

Obviously, if I could afford to build a big block stroker, that's what I would do, but I can't.

So I'm stuck between building up a big block, or a 360 stroker and making use of the small block parts I've got.

If I go with the stroker, I get to utilize a lot of small block stuff I've already got. Good headers, oil pan, dizzy, valve covers, crap like that.

If I go big block, I don't have to buy a stroker kit, but I'll need an oil pan, headers, 727, etc.

The two things are close enough that I could swing either one in a pinch, I just don't know which is likely to make more power, and is a big block going to make enough extra to offset the extra weight?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 09:31 PM

Quote:

I understand that a bigger motor can theoretically make more power, but that isn't actually the question I asked.

Obviously, if I could afford to build a big block stroker, that's what I would do, but I can't.

So I'm stuck between building up a big block, or a 360 stroker and making use of the small block parts I've got.

If I go with the stroker, I get to utilize a lot of small block stuff I've already got. Good headers, oil pan, dizzy, valve covers, crap like that.

If I go big block, I don't have to buy a stroker kit, but I'll need an oil pan, headers, 727, etc.

The two things are close enough that I could swing either one in a pinch, I just don't know which is likely to make more power, and is a big block going to make enough extra to offset the extra weight?

In my opinion if you can't afford to buy good heads for the BB then I'd go with the SB. A low deck aluminum head, W/P and manifold BB is probably comparable to an iron head small block. Then when you add the extra weight of the 727 over the 904 I think the SB might be a better option for you. Having said that though, once you have the BB in there you can always upgrade parts later, tough call. Ultimately the BB will make more power if you want to upgrade down the road.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 09:35 PM

In your case you already have all the sb setup. For the money you would need to throw at it to convert over to BB. Youd be money ahead just to stroke it. IMO

You already run pretty fast 11.5,s For a little more dough 10.5,s are just around the corner.

Id research the most cost effective sb stroker.

How many are there now. 370/408/412/418/440 and is there a 500 now, after market block I take it.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 09:41 PM

Im no expert and even though im a BB Challenger guy,it would be alot less money to build a SB Stroker because your Challenger is already set up for a SB. Motor mounts,headers,tranny and driveshaft.
Just my
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 10:01 PM

You can make some serious HP with a S/B.
Over 500HP is not hard to get.
BPE on here has some really nice stroker kits!
And they are very reasonable price wise.
For a steel head its hard to beat the Indy LAX heads.
I know that Bob George would be who i went through to get those.

Between BPE rotating assembly and BG top end, you basically have a motor!
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 10:21 PM

Quote:

Hey:

Don't mean to start a war, but I'm at the point where I need to decide between a big block and a small block stroker for my Challenger. Of course, the car already has a small block in it, so that gives the stroker idea a bit of a break.

On the other hand, I have access to some complete late 60s 440s (that I would rebuild), so that might help. Unfortunately don't think I would be able to stroke the big block.

My goals are apparently ambitious. I want to run mid 10.50s with the car, non gutted with cal-tracs. I also want to run a streetable gear (3.55), and would like it to be fun on the street (aka torque). A buddy of mine is running mid 10s with his (ahem) Ford 408 stroker street car and a 3.55, so I cant imagine it would be too big a problem hp wise - except that the heads for small block Fords are pretty awesome by comparison to what's readily available for Mopar.

I am not real aware of what kind of real world horsepower and torque the LA strokers make. My big concern is the reasonably priced cylinder heads (LA-X, or maybe Eddies) limiting the total horsepower capability.

To be fair, I know next to nothing about Big Block heads either, so maybe they're flow limited also, and again, I'd have to buy big block swap parts and a 727 to replace my 904-unless someone knows of a good adapter setup.

Also curious about how much weight difference there would be between a small block and big block.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

The question I'd ask is whether the SB stroker will make enough torque in a usable range (ie: street duty) to allow the 3.55 and whatever tire you settle on to be the gear to use, given the rest of your goals. I don't think there's any doubt the BB stroker can do it...then there's the power to weight ratio. A bb with the right parts ends up weighing as much as an iron head small block, but how much does the similarly lightened SB weigh? In other words, given the same lightening techniques for both motors, which has a better power to weight ratio?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 11:28 PM

Assuming a race weight of 3850, 10.50 ETs need 657 hp. Lets say you settle on a figure of 680 hp as what you want so you have a little margin. You can do that with a stroked big block with a set of ported SR heads. Check out the dyno report on a 512 built by Maximuswedges. Very street friendly combo, not hard to build or maintain. To overcome the difference in compression for street, a bigger cam or street roller cam may be needed, but you will be there with a motor that is not high strung.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 11:28 PM

hey, if i were u, i'd give ryanj a call
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 11:30 PM

600 HP
is easy enough.... Buddy has a SB Mopar with cast iron W2's, solid flat tappet, No dminator (950 HP) and runs hard.
Has Home ported W2's Crane Gold Rockers, Indy Intake. The engine is around 416-420 cubes, has some squeeze, about 13.5-14:1 Compression dyno'd at 620 ish HP on a dyno thats known to be stingy, had to slow it down to run 10 Oh class at the Classic etc in a 3000-3100 Lbs Dart, with 10" tires, leaf springs and cal tracks..
Same engine should easily run mid 10's on the Porky Challenger.
You Dont need no fancy CNC ported Indy Heads, or aluminum MP W5's etc.
There was a guy on her last month that had set of W2's cheap... Like $600..
Posted By: Mills

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/06/11 11:34 PM

Besides the price of converting the car over to BB (as mentioned earlier), a 440 is the cheapest stroker motor to build IMO...and you'll always have more power/torque with the 440.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 12:25 AM

Quote:

My goals are apparently ambitious. I want to run mid 10.50s with the car, non gutted with cal-tracs. I also want to run a streetable gear (3.55

A mid 70's Challenger full street interior, etc. will weigh a lot. Depending I am thinking 3600-3800 lbs. That makes running 10.50 a lot tougher, and needs more power/torque.

IMO, a big block stroker is no more expensive than a small block stroker, and for the power level you need; I think the BB will be less expensive.
You can always sell your small block stuff to get some cash.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My goals are apparently ambitious. I want to run mid 10.50s with the car, non gutted with cal-tracs. I also want to run a streetable gear (3.55

A mid 70's Challenger full street interior, etc. will weigh a lot. Depending I am thinking 3600-3800 lbs. That makes running 10.50 a lot tougher, and needs more power/torque.

IMO, a big block stroker is no more expensive than a small block stroker, and for the power level you need; I think the BB will be less expensive.

I missed the part that it was for a Challenger. I thought it was for his Dodge Dart Swinger in his sig, already running 11.70,s

Yep, that does change things. Leans it to the BB for sure IMO
Posted By: ahy

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 01:12 AM

Its a hard question as I believe 10.5 ET in a full dressed E that is also "steetable" takes a well built BB stroker. Not a budget option. Your signature car is probably quite a bit lighter than a dressed E... and runs real well.

Comparing a "well built" 400" SB and a "simple" 440 I guess the ET would be similar but the BB would be more fun on the street with more torque and a better match to 3.55 gears. ET I won't guess but probably more than 10.5 for both.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 01:13 AM

200lbs weight differance between the SB/904 and the BB/727 combo. Aluminum heads on the BB only make it about 50lbs closer.

If you are stuck running a stock head then common BB and SB heads flow about the same so HP will be about the same. An easy 433 SB can be had with the BPE stuff, very close to the 440 so TQ will be almost the same minus 200# of weight over the front end that impairs handling somewhat and makes it just a little harder to hook up. If you run low gear set 1st and 2nd in the 904 it will make as much TQ at the wheels (mabey even a tad more)as the 440. Another thing is the 727 soaks up about 20 more HP than a 904. With the modern SB stroker stuff being so cheap and the car is already set up with a SB I say the choice is easy. If you could afford eddy victor CNC heads(and all the expensive stuff to go along with it) and a 512 kit for the BB then I would say go BB.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

Our '72 Challenger all metal, full interior street car weighs 3,340 pounds.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 01:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Our '72 Challenger all metal, full interior street car weighs 3,340 pounds.

stop saying that. your going to give every e body guy a complex.

i'm 3500 with lots of weight removed
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 01:53 AM

Generally a small block (by virtue of its superior head design, i.e, Valve angle, position in the bore, port area for nominal displacement) will make more horsepower per cube than a B/RB. By that I simply mean starting in stock form it's easier to make a 400 horse 340 than it is to make a 515 horse 440 (same hp per cube).

But most economical is to start with more cubes without stroking so it's easier to make say a 515 horse 440 than it is to build a 475 horse stroker 408, (again same hp/cube) so starting with a bigger motor to start is most economical. $1 in the heads is worth $3 in the shortblock, it's a good rule of thumb, and so if that shortblock is already bigger you're that much ahead.

My fwiw, You can build a bullet proof stock stroke steel crank 440 that will make 600 hp easier than you can build a 550 horse 408 stroker out of a 360, $1 in the heads is worth 3 in the shortblock.

Best bang for the buck for ~600 horse is a zero deck ~11:1 steel crank 440 with well ported indy SR heads that flow about 335-340 on the intake, a good solid cam in the 255/260 @.050 range and .560 to .580-ish lift cut on 108 in at 105, 1 7/8 or 2" headers, full 3" exhaust, a good ported single plane (or ported indy dual plane) intake, and at least an 850 double pumper. ( a 950 will be better up top) I'd say this would compare in HP/ET to about a 565 horse 408 in the same car with very well ported E heads. the difference is you can build the 440 for less.

Strokers are great but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a solidly built well thought out 'old school' 440

600 horses could put a 3400 pound (with driver) car in the mid 10's but the stall and chassis need to be dialed dead-on and you can't do it with 3.55 gears. (4.10's) The basic motor I've lined out (one I've built several times) will make about 630 or 1.4 hp/cube, and peak power right around 6100-6200 with very strong torque.

I don't think you could build a 408 with comparable power per cube (and you'd actually need more per cube since the motor is only about 60 pound lighter) for the same $$$. A good builder could get close with (for example) a set of well ported econo w2's and a cast crank to save $$$.
Posted By: topside

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/07/11 02:37 AM

I know of a Challenger, street trim, 500"BB, OOTB Eddys, relatively small cam, 727, 3.23, 28" tire, that runs in the 11s. Shifter in D. Hardly trying, so to speak.
Seems for a SB combo to pull that off without more converter & gear it would have to be WELL into the 400" range.
It's gonna take a lot of torque to pull that tall gear into the 10.50s.
Now, if the car could be lightened up a bunch, or you could live with more converter & gear, a big SB would close that gap some. The turbo or Vortech path is also a valid consideration, but hurts the bragging rights if you know what I mean.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 02:56 AM

318/340/360, your choice. Forged internals, ported edelbrocks, $600 dollar S475. Mild camshaft, 12-14 lbs boost will easily make 650-700 horse. Should easily go mid 10's, and turbo cars lovvvvve tall gears.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 03:41 PM

Turbos are not simple, lots of plumbing of intake and exhaust, any free space under the hood is gone, lots of heat under the hood, got to have the right blow off valves, ignition timing becomes a lot more critical... lots more complicated. You have to have some kind of head turbo or not, econo W2s are very reasonable, got to have some kind of crank weather turbo or not and 4.25 is very reasonable for a big block or small block, you got to have rods and pistons weather it is turbo or not, a nice stroker can be had for either one very easily and if you are building a bottom end to handle 15lbs of boost it will not cost any more to build a big stroker with out the added complexity up top.

As for the weight differance in BB and SB I was stateing the weight differance I personally measured between a 67 440/727 and a 71 340/904 (I know a 340 never came with a 904 but the one from a 318 bolts right up ) both still had the iron intakes iron heads... and the differance between the two was almost exactly #200 a low deck might be a little closer but I did not have one to weigh.

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 03:59 PM

I have gone 10.30s at 3450 lbs with a stroked (535) rb, 11/1 compression and a 590 cam with 1.7 rockers. I doubt it will take much more than that to go 10.50s at 3700 (?) lbs. That motor had ported 906 heads (280 cfm flow tops?), and pistons way down the hole. Fairly cheap stuff, from my perspective. With the availability of cheap heads that will flow 300 cfm with nothing more than a bowl port, I don't see how a small block can compete. Even if you have heads that flow as well, less cubes will raise the rpms. My deal was shifted at 5700 rpm. I doubt a small block stroker can compare to that. A very tight converter and a set of 3.54 or 3.73 gears and you should get there. I ran 4.10s with a 33 inch tall slick to go 131 mph with that 535.
You just can't beat big cubes for a streeter.
Posted By: The_Mean_Machine

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 08:37 PM

Quote:

As for the weight differance in BB and SB I was stateing the weight differance I personally measured between a 67 440/727 and a 71 340/904 (I know a 340 never came with a 904 but the one from a 318 bolts right up ) both still had the iron intakes iron heads... and the differance between the two was almost exactly #200 a low deck might be a little closer but I did not have one to weigh.

would you mind posting the total weight of those combos?

Btw, very intresting thread, first I thought it will be a SB/BB contest, but lots of good info here. Moparts is still the best place to hang around to learn...
Greetings,
Frank

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 11:32 PM

Quote:

Turbos are not simple, lots of plumbing of intake and exhaust, any free space under the hood is gone, lots of heat under the hood, got to have the right blow off valves, ignition timing becomes a lot more critical... lots more complicated.

Disagree. 200lbs is a ton, there's alot of cost involved in swapping to a big block, and you don't need an aftermarket crank to make 650 boosted horsepower. Bottom line as stated by others is a 3600 plus driver car will need 650 horse or better (with 3.55's to boot) to go 10.50, it takes a pretty serious stroked SB to make that power, call Ryan and price out a 'budget' 700hp SB, and a 375 horse smallblock with boost will do the same thing with ease, and be tons more streetable.
There are many ways to skin a cat, blow off valves and turbos are very simple once you learn the basics, especially if you have any fab abilities at all.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/07/11 11:46 PM

a 904 is a lot lighter than a 727, (I'm guessing 40 pounds) but an aluminum head/WPH and intake big block is maybe 90 pounds more than a comparable aluminum small block, I don't see 200 pounds combined though, maybe 140?
Pretty sure my 517 low deck is as light or lighter than an all aron 340.

I do know that Small block iron heads are typically 2 pounds heavier than a BB and possibly the intakes (iron or aluminum) are heavier as well. The iron Small block w/caps is about 60 pounds lighter (~165 vs 225 w/caps)
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 12:09 AM

Quote:

Assuming a race weight of 3850, 10.50 ETs need 657 hp. Lets say you settle on a figure of 680 hp as what you want so you have a little margin. You can do that with a stroked big block with a set of ported SR heads.

I ran the MW Indy EZs done by jeff at MCH... would have ran better with more tuning and cool weather also.... was a small solid roller with 248/254@50 .650 lift range...
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 01:07 AM

Wow, all this talk about how easy BB's are to get all that power out of makes me excited to get my 505 Indy Headed Charger fired up. However, I can say with experience, and yes I'm lighter, but my eddy headed very simple 408 full interior street legal 68 Cuda goes 10.86 @ 120. Yes I'm lighter, not sure how much, but I'm sure I'm at 3200 lbs. Pump gas also. Nothing exotic, and should go 10.70's after my winter updates. As of now, I say really well thought out SB stroker is what I would opt for. Remember, you still want to be able to turn every now and then. I've yet to ride in a BB A-body that doesn't plow when turning. But,yes, you have an E body. Sorry for the long rant.

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming a race weight of 3850, 10.50 ETs need 657 hp. Lets say you settle on a figure of 680 hp as what you want so you have a little margin. You can do that with a stroked big block with a set of ported SR heads.

I ran the MW Indy EZs done by jeff at MCH... would have ran better with more tuning and cool weather also.... was a small solid roller with 248/254@50 .650 lift range...

Just out of curiousity, how much $ is just a set of MW EZ heads prepped by Modern? 3k? 3500?? I really don't have a clue...
Posted By: dmking

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 02:16 AM

i have a bigblock 440 non stroker and friends have smallblocks with 4.0 cranks and all out indy heads on the small ones.all cars are A bodys but add the weight to et numbers and do the math.
my build is a 440 with old indy heads 270cc runners @ around 335cfm. stock crank carrillo k rods je pistons 2.19/1.88 262/265 around .640 lift 3170 with me in it.3rd pass ever on new engine 10.20 @131 with the converter way too loose at 5800.
the 4" crank small block guys cars are wicked fast small blocks. everything in the engine is good stuff. only the block is stock.
they work real well but are already built with full roller and the biggest valves indy will let installed with out rubbing.(the guide location sucks. some are .015 different or more between the valves.
there are many pros and cons to the great bigblock small block topic.

i have a non high strung 440. they have extreemly well running 4" small blocks with fully ported heads and full roller cams. i can get around 370 to 380cfm fully ported. i am going to lean twards being a 440 or 400 block with a 3.9" crank for the E body.
just remember go small block r3 or higher the weight thing may get closer to a bigblock.
either way it will haul ass cause it is not a ford or gm product. just have to look at where you end up with either combo. money wise if it is the same either way the bigblock combo will have more to throw at it eaiser. but it is impressive when a duster runs real low 10s on a stock block 4" small block A body and not having to hit 8000 rpms.
have fun what ever way you go. i love my 440. just get someone who cares to do the machineing. my block was done on a cnc engine mill.
the other guy was fired LOLOLOL.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 02:57 AM

Why is it every few weeks someone starts a post like this? Then everyone who does BB's post how they think it is the best. Then the SB guys come back with their proof of how fast some of these engines are.

Personally I like the small block. All out race efforts the small blocks are really strong especially in a weight to cubic inch enviroment.

But, I can not ignore that Muscle Motors has a Predator combo for $20,000. That stuff really makes some go.

Class racing BB has to carry more weight. A RB has to carry 200 lbs on the front over a SB. I know I have ran both in the same truck. 5,300 with a stock 360 and 5,500 with a stock 440. The 440 was a better engine in the truck.

Carry on with your pointless arguements.

I've traveled all over the eastern US showing what my Small Blocks can do. I think the performance of my 468 small block speaks for itself.

PS. A 8.8 deck small block is still 200 lbs lighter than your low deck BB. Another pointless arguement.

Leon
Posted By: dmking

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 03:06 AM

leon can we ask how much that 468 cost total package for the engine?
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 03:26 AM

Does your small block Ford buddy happen to be driving a Fox body Mustang?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 03:28 AM

Sure.

When I first built, it was a 457. Only bored 4.200". I bought the block from Arrington ($1,900). The heads from Patterson ($3,500). Cam tunnel done by Precision Products ($300) and the rest of the block at Tim Davis'(just over $1,000). The cost including the fogger system($600) was less than $10,000. I already had the LA enterprises crank but only paid $1,500 for it second hand but never used. The Jesel rocker system traded even for another set bought on Ebay for $200.

That engine really came together well and a lot of deals just worked out. I worked my butt off building it and only paid labor on block work.

I have a lot more invested in the 421 CID engine in the car now. Mostly because I paid for a complete shortblock. I had to completely redo.

Leon
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 03:58 AM

You guys remember Weedlayer(whatever happened to him?)He had fast SB Challenger, IIRC, it was N/A too. The Other Dodge had one too, but he used a little of the juice to get in the 10s.

The OP said his goal is mid 10s, that seems like wishful thinking without a power adder, IMHO.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big bl - 04/08/11 04:01 AM

Doug Sloan where you at? He has street driven Cuda that just ran 10.53 a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn`t agree more............I use a .030 72 400 truck block, home ported rpm heads, 6.385 chevy rods, an off-set ground 413 crank(3.900 stroke)an Isky solid roller cam, victor intake and Hooker fenderwell headers. Not big bucks,low maintainance and VERY streetable and dependable to boot. Been beating this thing for 11 years in two different combos and it`s STILL going strong. Good luck either way.

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Food for thought!

Steve
Posted By: RonP

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 12:54 PM

Yep, these posts always get out of wack. LOL

Just do your homework and go for what is best for you. I will be the first one to say there is some flying small blocks on here. I will also say that in my experience, the BB is way more bang for the buck.

I am a novice, I don't have time/exeperience/or the money for all this exotic stuff I see all the time with SB's. Most of the guys doing small blocks have the knowhow and the means to get that stuff done.

Me, I picked some parts anyone can buy and assembled the dang motor. 5 seasons with 1996 440-1's still on the motor and I go mid 9's, on radials, through exhaust at 3380 race weight. I have not seen many comparable SB powered cars anywhere I go. They are all either way lighter or have way more motor than I do. I mean all the small block guys are stroking the motors so there must be something to the cubic inch thing.

The BB is just easier all the way around for me.

Re: Which makes more power per $$? Stroker SB or big block? - 04/08/11 01:49 PM

I look at these posts as a way to gain info. Ya never know, I might want to switch camps, and the info is great. The original poster will gain a lot of knowledge if he can sift through it all, take the best and leave the rest.
© 2024 Moparts Forums